• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 Ben

Ben

MFCEO

• Administrators
  • 2,269 posts

Posted 18 September 2015 - 01:12 PM

Based on this years matches I feel like shooters are generally better than they were 5 years ago. Or maybe there are just more really good shooters? I am not sure.

Do you guys have the same sense? The skill levels of guys seems to be going up a bit?

#2 SentimentalShooter

SentimentalShooter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 18 September 2015 - 01:22 PM

I haven't been shooting long, but I would say better. It happens in every sport. We build as a whole on past knowledge/experience and the overall skill base grows as we continue to push the limits further and further.

#3 MNshooter

MNshooter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis/St. Paul

Posted 18 September 2015 - 01:23 PM

Yes and I know why. Some dummy keeps pumping out podcasts with free advice on how to get gooder.
  • Stelio Kontos, subQ, Roons and 1 other like this

#4 Will

Will

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,430 posts

Posted 18 September 2015 - 01:26 PM

On a serious note, I do agree with your conclusion; here's why:

1. I am a new shooter and the tools you have provided around GM times to shoot a multitude of drills is far more precise than some of the "good" training information published in the past (it was good but not as data rich as what you produced). I can see this information has been essential in helping me understanding what "fast" feels like, as well as, how accurate I need to be

2. Although this is a tough sell, I do feel equipment is getting better over time. Using tennis as a comparison, the racquets Ashe and Connors used were stone age compared to what is used today. Guns are getting better, but equipment like LASR training software, sirt pistols, and other tools are providing more accurate information used to diagnose performance issues

I still have more work to go, and I'm not consumed by classifications, but these tools help me improve and focus on my trouble spots which rolls into my training.

• GuruOfGuns likes this

#5 GuanoLoco

GuanoLoco

Minister of Culture

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,245 posts
  • LocationMy Safe Space

Posted 18 September 2015 - 01:29 PM

IMO skill inflation is a desirable and inevitable consequence of a successful sport run over time.

Or maybe it's just the newer shinier steel guns.
Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

You'll never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

In Doodie, Veritas.

"You might be a little thin-skinned for this forum". -Scott.

#6 Miculek is a Noob

Miculek is a Noob

V.C.R.O.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,865 posts

Posted 18 September 2015 - 01:36 PM

Because dryfire. And YouTube.

Back in the day no one in USPSA really practiced much, except the really top guys. Now any slob can study the top guys techniques at home and emulate in the basement.

...At least that's my opinion until GuruOfTLDR comes along and bores the shit out of everyone with stories from the 60s.
  • barry owens and GuruOfGuns like this

#7 nwhpfan

nwhpfan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 18 September 2015 - 01:36 PM

I have been in the sport for less than 5 years but....

When I started their were a lot of guys around me that were C and B and had been there for a long time.

About 1.5 years ago I decided to take the sport seriously and found the inspiration and the path right here at Doodie.

Now, all those C and B guys that seemed fine with shooting for fun are all DF'ing too.  Everyone is making A and M and talking about their progress and goals, etc.

I just think the material and path to get good isn't as much a secret and there is a community out their of like minded people and it is easy to find each other.

A guy I shoot against who is a GM, who has been shooting for 30 years made the same assessment....their are more guys that want to go somewhere than guys that just want to make some noise.

#8 dsa

dsa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 18 September 2015 - 01:43 PM

3 years ago at my local club there was 1 M class shooter, 1 A class shooter and a bunch of B&C class guys.  Currently there are half a dozen M class shooters and a whole slew of A class shooters.  So yeah I would say shooters are getting better....around here.

#9 Vagetarian

Vagetarian

I used to have 3 warning points.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,981 posts
  • LocationLightyears from Ben's nuts.

Posted 18 September 2015 - 01:53 PM

Because Mr. Shay Akai pistol stroke.  BOOM.

Kitten_zps66d94599.jpg
I just man-handled that prick with my Type-A personality.
Dipshit tard duckweed goat humper.

You're all a bunch of fucking idiots and retards!

#10 wurm

wurm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 18 September 2015 - 02:03 PM

I definitely feel like I'm seeing shooters progress faster than they used to.  Seems like it used to take a while to get good but now I see people after a year of shooting reach pretty impressive skill levels.  With all of the info available now I suppose it is inevitable. I really enjoy the extra competition and hope everyone keeps it up.

#11 peterthefish

peterthefish

Banned.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,999 posts

Posted 18 September 2015 - 02:04 PM

A renewed national interest in guns / shooting over the last 5-6 years also means a broader base of competitive people to pull from.

If I hadn't gotten into shooting I'd be a shitty golfer instead of a shitty shooter and a terrible golfer.

#12 Sad Sack

Sad Sack

Forum Tard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts

Posted 18 September 2015 - 02:35 PM

Based on this years matches I feel like shooters are generally better than they were 5 years ago. Or maybe there are just more really good shooters? I am not sure.

Do you guys have the same sense? The skill levels of guys seems to be going up a bit?

Is this a lame ass way of explaining your small margin of victory this year?

• Maxamundo likes this

No one likes me, and I don't care.

#13 Motosapiens

Motosapiens

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,524 posts

Posted 18 September 2015 - 05:42 PM

I can only speak for my local area, and only for 3 or 4 years, but we had b and c class guys winning overall at matches when I first started, Now there are 6-7 M's (real M's, including some top 25-50 finishes at nationals) at many matches. It's exciting, but it's also a moving target. I know I'm better, but I'm not moving up alot in the overall at local matches. I *AM* moving up at sectionals and area matches tho, so our local situation may be semi-anomalous.

I think the internet and ubiquitous video are helping alot of people get better. They sure help me, and the video wasn't easily available 4-5 years ago.

• Unclassified likes this

2013 National Champion C class  Limited 10

#14 Motosapiens

Motosapiens

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,524 posts

Posted 18 September 2015 - 05:44 PM

3 years ago at my local club there was 1 M class shooter, 1 A class shooter and a bunch of B&C class guys.  Currently there are half a dozen M class shooters and a whole slew of A class shooters.  So yeah I would say shooters are getting better....around here.

Lol, you beat me to it. 

All them good shooters needz to buy boolits tho, in order to keep getting gooder. That can't be bad for you.

2013 National Champion C class  Limited 10

#15 Unclassified

Unclassified

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,394 posts

Posted 18 September 2015 - 06:04 PM

I can only speak for my local area, and only for 3 or 4 years, but we had b and c class guys winning overall at matches when I first started, Now there are 6-7 M's (real M's, including some top 25-50 finishes at nationals) at many matches. It's exciting, but it's also a moving target. I know I'm better, but I'm not moving up alot in the overall at local matches. I *AM* moving up at sectionals and area matches tho, so our local situation may be semi-anomalous.

I think the internet and ubiquitous video are helping alot of people get better. They sure help me, and the video wasn't easily available 4-5 years ago.

^^^^ This^^^^

When I started back almost 2 years ago I was in the middle at my local club. Now I am top 2 or 3 overall and win my share. When I go to shoot with Grapist I get my ass handed to me by the local boys.

Shooters are a competitive lot, they don't like to lose. One guy gets better and they all start practicing. Then the dude who was winning gets all spun up starts working harder. It never ends.

If that isn't enough, MFCEO shows up every spring and tells them what to work on next, holy crap.... it's like you have to work your ass off just to keep up.

All these punks need to take a few months off and give the old guys a chance.

Dude, I thought you would be better...... MFCEO

#16 ZachJ

ZachJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts
  • LocationBC Canada

Posted 18 September 2015 - 06:09 PM

^^^^
All these punks need to take a few months off and give the old guys a chance.

No sir

Deliberate, then obliterate.™

I am unafraid to miss.

#17 Roons

Roons

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 462 posts

Posted 18 September 2015 - 06:43 PM

More videos on the internet combined with additional training materials is key.  

Prior to the past few years, the only materials out there were some very old "IPSC Secrets" VHS tapes and the "Practical Shooting" Matt Burkett DVDs.  You would have to dig through post after post on BEnos and hope you didin't get horrible advice.

Now you have all the Ben Stoeger stuff; Steve Anderson dryfire, Mike Seeklander competition training, the "Make Ready with..." videos, etc.  You can spend days on YouTube analyzing performances, gear, tips, etc.

For me <startnuthugging>, Ben's materials (videos and books), website, forum, training with him, and podcast has done more for my performance than anyone else.  No other "top shooter" out there compares.</endnuthuggery>  Capitalistic Bastard!  Take my money!

"You can give it the old spin."

#18 toothandnail

toothandnail

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 18 September 2015 - 08:36 PM

A good example is the Texas Star, when I first saw/shot one about 7 years ago, many guys were burning 10-15 - 20 rounds to clear it. Now most beginners have very little problems clearing one.

#19 jayohee

jayohee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 18 September 2015 - 10:00 PM

Haven't been shooting long (16 months) but in that time I've seen some very good shooters go from U to M and hold their own at Level II's and up
  • Ben likes this

#20 dsa

dsa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 19 September 2015 - 09:12 AM

Lol, you beat me to it. 

All them good shooters needz to buy boolits tho, in order to keep getting gooder. That can't be bad for you.

Yes, it has been good. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users