#21 GuruOfGuns

GuruOfGuns

I was there SME

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,394 posts
  • Locationhorizontal unless I can get help

Posted 19 September 2015 - 02:05 PM

Yes the skill level of USPSA shooters has gone up as far as shooting USPSA matches goes. What I don't see improvement in is the shooters who can excel at multiple pistol disciplines. I guess it's partially because in the past there wasn't nearly the amount of USPSA matches, especially majors to shoot so people wanting to shoot more would also practice and shoot Bianchi, Steel Challenge, Bowling Pins and matches like the Masters. You pretty much had to shoot the other disciplines if you wanted to shoot a lot of big matches. Also the USPSA COFs of the past had more accuracy oriented standards making it an easier transition to Bianchi for example. Most people look at the Steel Challenge as a speed shoot but it's really and accuracy challenge that looks like a speed test.

Not to take anything away from the current top shooters, they are way ahead of even 5 years ago. So the answer is a diffident yes.

"I'm older and fatter than any of you dipshits."

#22 StrongHandOnly

StrongHandOnly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 19 September 2015 - 10:37 PM

I think it's because we are eating more organic foods with less chemicals in them. Our dicks are getting bigger and that makes us shoot better!

#23 Miculek is a Noob

Miculek is a Noob

V.C.R.O.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,865 posts

Posted 19 September 2015 - 10:42 PM

Yes the skill level of USPSA shooters has gone up as far as shooting USPSA matches goes. What I don't see improvement in is the shooters who can excel at multiple pistol disciplines. I guess it's partially because in the past there wasn't nearly the amount of USPSA matches, especially majors to shoot so people wanting to shoot more would also practice and shoot Bianchi, Steel Challenge, Bowling Pins and matches like the Masters. You pretty much had to shoot the other disciplines if you wanted to shoot a lot of big matches. Also the USPSA COFs of the past had more accuracy oriented standards making it an easier transition to Bianchi for example. Most people look at the Steel Challenge as a speed shoot but it's really and accuracy challenge that looks like a speed test.

Not to take anything away from the current top shooters, they are way ahead of even 5 years ago. So the answer is a diffident yes.

Must have been pressed for time....

• barry owens, peterthefish and Buck Turgidson like this

#24 barry owens

barry owens

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,745 posts

Posted 20 September 2015 - 11:28 AM

His metamucil kicked in a little quicker than anticiapted.

• Miculek is a Noob, Sad Sack and Buck Turgidson like this

Full Retard Custom Guns

M-m-m-making shooters h-h-h-happy, since 2012.......no refunds.

WARNING!!!!! My posts contain no actual shooting value.

#25 GuruOfGuns

GuruOfGuns

I was there SME

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,394 posts
  • Locationhorizontal unless I can get help

Posted 20 September 2015 - 12:50 PM

I don't need metamucil, I just read the Doodie forum posts by Noob and Buck, saves me money.

"I'm older and fatter than any of you dipshits."

#26 Buck Turgidson

Buck Turgidson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,357 posts
  • Locationthe command bunker

Posted 20 September 2015 - 04:17 PM

I don't need metamucil, I just read the Doodie forum posts by Noob and Buck, saves me money.

Glad I could help

I need something to do while shooting, and thinking about titties is too distracting  - Stubb

#27 Alan E

Alan E

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 20 September 2015 - 11:10 PM

Based on this years matches I feel like shooters are generally better than they were 5 years ago. Or maybe there are just more really good shooters? I am not sure.

Do you guys have the same sense? The skill levels of guys seems to be going up a bit?

So basically since Phil has been in charge, the skill of the shooters has increased. I wonder if Manny or Mike would be willing to adopt his hands off, shooter improving management style?
  • Ben and barry owens like this
"No Discourse whatsoever, can End in absolute Knowledge of Fact." Thomas Hobbes

TY43606

#28 slemmo

slemmo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,956 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 21 September 2015 - 07:57 AM

A sport that doesn't progress skill wise would seem stranger than the opposite.

• Cajun cracker and Stubb like this

#29 PChan

PChan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 10:44 AM

When I took the 2 year break from USPSA, ( Was shooting 3gun during that time ) I came back and notice at my club level there's at least 10 new Try-hards that were not there before I quit. Few of these guys could possibly hit Master level, one possibly GM out of the group, the rest I believe will be try-hard A's. The rest of the club is still the same people we had forever. (interesting though I only see 2 out from the club that has moved up in rankings, others are either still stuck or changed their divisions.) Its refreshing to see new faces, and always great to curb stomp their asses and have them toe the line.

• Will likes this

#30 Will

Will

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,430 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 11:15 AM

When I took the 2 year break from USPSA, ( Was shooting 3gun during that time ) I came back and notice at my club level there's at least 10 new Try-hards that were not there before I quit. Few of these guys could possibly hit Master level, one possibly GM out of the group, the rest I believe will be try-hard A's. The rest of the club is still the same people we had forever. (interesting though I only see 2 out from the club that has moved up in rankings, others are either still stuck or changed their divisions.) Its refreshing to see new faces, and always great to curb stomp their asses and have them toe the line.

Like button selected for use of "try-hard" and "curb stomp" in one post. You sir have style...

#31 Mr_White

Mr_White

Junk Carry SME

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 02:00 PM

Based on this years matches I feel like shooters are generally better than they were 5 years ago. Or maybe there are just more really good shooters? I am not sure.

Do you guys have the same sense? The skill levels of guys seems to be going up a bit?

Yes, I think so. My perspective may be warped because the last 5 yards is when I got into competitive shooting along with the tacticals. So of course skill level looks like it jumped up a lot. Even in a shorter time frame I have seen lots of people move up in class, and even the timmy world where I live is getting more skilled.
9254418645_6df4042018.jpg

"Conscience is our guide, peace is our shelter, beauty and perfection is our life."- Bruce Leroy

http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

#32 JaeOne3345

JaeOne3345

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,399 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 10:06 PM

People have accessible information on proven techniques nowadays with the internet. What else would you expect? I find this to be true in my other hobbies like power lifting as well. More people are "aware" of what is legit and bullshit. 

• ZachJ likes this

A75033

#33 snark

snark

Aberrant Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts
  • LocationNull Island

Posted 25 September 2015 - 09:01 AM

Crapload more matches available in the local area = more practice for the not-practicers so they get a little better and more opportunities for the dudes that want to run to do so.

The rising tide of competition lifts all the boats as well.  Back-in-the-DayTM when the local hotshot was A-class, that's all you were gunning for.

• GuruOfGuns likes this

Use the rules. Don't DQ someone who doesn't do anything DQable. -- Da Beard.

#34 Nimrod

Nimrod

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 27 September 2015 - 04:30 AM

The long road to.... (Wait for it) Nowhere.

The bills still got to be paid. The shirts aren't working.

#35 not that bryan

not that bryan

Fuckstick

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 27 September 2015 - 06:07 PM

Since I started shooting USPSA the skill level has definitely gone up. In my area not only are there more guys at the top levels GM/M, but there are also a lot more good A class guys knocking on the door of M.

When I started shooting there were a couple GM level guys in the area across all divisions and maybe one GM in your division at a match, almost no M and a few A class guys. Now there is likely to be 1 or 2 GMs, 3-5 M, and at least 5-6 A class guys at every match.

#36 Yard Sale

Yard Sale

OK, boomer.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,200 posts
  • Locationbottom of the results sheet

Posted 30 September 2015 - 05:42 PM

I started shooting USPSA in 1997, M card in 2000, G card in 2005. Shooters are getting better. Faster, more accurate, better movement.

Team F.T.P.

our guns are lubricated with the tears of crooked cops

#37 Crystal Baller

Crystal Baller

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 09 October 2015 - 06:36 AM

Definitely more talent now than when I started USPSA. The wave of B and C shooters I started out with a few years ago are now mostly A and M shooters The last local match I shot was more than 60% B Class or higher. Used to be a lot of Tupperware in Limited and Production, but now its almost entirely 2011s and CZs.   

#38 foofighter

foofighter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,388 posts

Posted 09 October 2015 - 08:08 AM

Because

- gaming the classification system

- Ben getting old so all the young kids look faster

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users