47 replies to this topic

#21 J.A.Nine

J.A.Nine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 28 September 2015 - 07:18 AM

Did I mention how fucked up USPSA web presence is already? I probably did, but it needs to be restated.

Area 4, 1996 wants it's website back http://www.uspsa4.org/

Why can't this be under uspsa.org instead of each area and section running their own websites?

• barry owens and GuruOfGuns like this

Ben told me, "Grip it harder."

#22 PChan

PChan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 28 September 2015 - 07:58 AM

We have professional teams all across the US that play video games - league, dota 2, counter strike - where their players easily make a living off of just playing the game.  

You have a better chance making it in the NFL then you do becoming a paid professional gamer. How many people play those games vs the number of professional players is  WAY less then 1%. I played COD:BO2 semi professionally before I got into the shooting sports, our team won the state invitational and placed 5th in the Semi qualifiers for COD championships in Texas, At the time I was 27 and I was considered the OLD GUY in the bunch, which is true. I still keep a contact with a lot of those players and you want to talk about a cut throat business model. Simply put if you don't vibe well with your teammates you were cut, and when you're cut you lose all your sponsor support. I known kids that were banking close to 40k a year, then all the sudden get cut and don't have any job skills because all they ever did was play video games for 20 hours a day and didn't do shit with their education.

#23 Cheap Shot

Cheap Shot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 28 September 2015 - 08:05 AM

This sport runs on volunteers.  Want the sport to grow?  Make it easier for these volunteers to do their job.  

Discounts for targets, stage equipment, etc.  Easy to use database on stage designs that are filterable based on bay size and available props/targets.  USPSA provided electronic scoring devices with ease of use uploading to the web. Updated rules so a MD doesn't have to deal with fucking popper calibration calls.  A website that provides free USPSA club pages with match dates, info, etc.  Free membership to ROs, RMs, and people to make the sport happen.

Once these are in place, yes, go out and advertise the shit out of it.  Else you run the risk of volunteer burn-out; which is likely a metric on why we haven't seen huge growth.

Did I mention how fucked up USPSA web presence is already? I probably did, but it needs to be restated.

Not enough volunteers willing to help.

Part of that I attribute to most people no longer have 40 hr a week jobs, part of it is the sense of entitlement from some participants.

I'm wondering if USPSA has a self limiting business model IMHO.

• Mumbles likes this

#24 Flexmoney

Flexmoney

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,765 posts

Posted 28 September 2015 - 08:06 AM

This thread = TLDR

Should USPSA Grow?

Clubs.  USPSA should grow clubs.  Nothing else matters.

• GuanoLoco and ZachJ like this

Unless otherwise noted, expect that all my posting here is in true Doodie fashion.  If my post somehow upsets your sensibilities, well...there ya go.  

#25 Vagetarian

Vagetarian

I used to have 3 warning points.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,982 posts
  • LocationLightyears from Ben's nuts.

Posted 28 September 2015 - 08:56 AM

Hard to grow because once a match gets big, you get a logjam and 8 hours of standing around or pasting.  More clubs and matches requires more ranges in populous areas.  Real estate prices and planning commissions and city councils put the kibosh on that shit.  Try opening a new club in San Francisco or New York.  Or Chicago.  Or any big city that has the population to support more participation.  When you add an hour each way to the range to shoot a match and extended match times because of higher participation, you get people becoming disenfranchised and walking away.  

Kitten_zps66d94599.jpg
I just man-handled that prick with my Type-A personality.
Dipshit tard duckweed goat humper.

You're all a bunch of fucking idiots and retards!

#26 PChan

PChan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 28 September 2015 - 09:34 AM

Hard to grow because once a match gets big, you get a logjam and 8 hours of standing around or pasting.  

One of the local clubs had a issue with this in the past, we would have 80+ people show up for a 5 stage match that average around 150+ rounds. What they ended up doing was convincing the board of the range to give them 2 more bays to shoot on, now instead of having 80 people on 5 stages, they can spread out 80 people on 7 stages with  the same round count. We don't see as many of the 28+ round stages anymore but everything just flows much better and were usually finished about 2 hours earlier then we would have when we only had 5 berms.

#27 Vagetarian

Vagetarian

I used to have 3 warning points.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,982 posts
  • LocationLightyears from Ben's nuts.

Posted 28 September 2015 - 09:56 AM

One of the local clubs had a issue with this in the past, we would have 80+ people show up for a 5 stage match that average around 150+ rounds. What they ended up doing was convincing the board of the range to give them 2 more bays to shoot on, now instead of having 80 people on 5 stages, they can spread out 80 people on 7 stages with the same round count. We don't see as many of the 28+ round stages anymore but everything just flows much better and were usually finished about 2 hours earlier then we would have when we only had 5 berms.

A lot of clubs don't have that option.

Kitten_zps66d94599.jpg
I just man-handled that prick with my Type-A personality.
Dipshit tard duckweed goat humper.

You're all a bunch of fucking idiots and retards!

#28 Maxamundo

Maxamundo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 28 September 2015 - 12:34 PM

Only until their 36th birthday - then mom kicks their sorry asses out of the basement.

It's kind of funny - nobody really knows for sure what will happen. The competitive video game industry has exploded in the past 5-10 years, with HUGE investments from tech companies, support from game developers, and a steadily growing fan base.

Just to put it in perspective, the last huge tournament for Dota 2, which took place two months ago (July 27 - Oct 8), payed out the top 16 teams of 5 players. First place got $6.6 million alone. During the tournament they averaged 2 million concurrent viewers.

I've never played Dota 2 and don't know how it works, but that's pretty amazing to me.

#29 ToddKS

ToddKS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts
  • LocationGetting killed in the streets

Posted 28 September 2015 - 01:16 PM

So online Dungeons & Dragons pays millions and the best we got is GSSF to get paid?
  • Mr_White, howmanytimesitshoot and phil datpus like this

#30 ZachJ

ZachJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts
  • LocationBC Canada

Posted 28 September 2015 - 01:20 PM

So online Dungeons & Dragons pays millions and the best we got is GSSF to get paid?

Pretty much

Deliberate, then obliterate.™

I am unafraid to miss.

#31 Maxamundo

Maxamundo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 28 September 2015 - 03:49 PM

Or you know, a surprise $200 division winner payout.

#32 GuruOfGuns

GuruOfGuns

I was there SME

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,394 posts
  • Locationhorizontal unless I can get help

Posted 28 September 2015 - 06:01 PM

Part of me thinks USPSA and all the variations of it, will never get much further than it has until there comes a time when competitors are not required to work, to paste, to set steel (even at a National event), even to RO their direct competitors at smaller events.  

It would lose the charm of a group of guys getting together a forming a club, everyone pitching in, but we've already lost some of that. My first home club would give out trophy's after every monthly club match, I'd guess at least 80 percent of the shooters would stay even if they had nothing coming just for the "fellowship" and fun after the shooting. Now it seems the goal is to get everyone shot thru and torn down and get home as quickly as possible, no one hangs around after just for friendship, club unity, whatever it is. We get our scores thru email if anyone even cares.

• Mumbles, Nimrod, aics308 and 3 others like this

"I'm older and fatter than any of you dipshits."

#33 Miculek is a Noob

Miculek is a Noob

V.C.R.O.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,865 posts

Posted 28 September 2015 - 06:51 PM

Please, tell us more about the old days.

#34 Buck Turgidson

Buck Turgidson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,413 posts
  • Locationthe command bunker

Posted 28 September 2015 - 07:19 PM

Let's face it, USPSA shooters are a weird bunch, there just aren't that many people who are interested in committing so much time just for a chance to blow a weekend pissing away money on guns and ammo.

Except shotgunners, they're even crazier but at least you can make $ in their sports

I need something to do while shooting, and thinking about titties is too distracting  - Stubb

#35 Motosapiens

Motosapiens

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,524 posts

Posted 28 September 2015 - 07:36 PM

Let's face it, USPSA shooters are a weird bunch, there just aren't that many people who are interested in committing so much time just for a chance to blow a weekend pissing away money on guns and ammo.

Not really any different than many other amateur sports. We used to spend heinous amounts of time and money racing dirt bikes (and had a blast). Shooting takes much less time and much less money to get good at, and is also fun.

I don't really care about whether it's marketable to fat people who watch tv. Fuck those fat fuckers. It's a participant sport, and I enjoy participating in it.

• Buck Turgidson likes this

2013 National Champion C class  Limited 10

#36 GuanoLoco

GuanoLoco

Minister of Culture

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,245 posts
  • LocationMy Safe Space

Posted 28 September 2015 - 07:51 PM

Quality over quantitiy....although it would be nice to increase the number of times I could shoot a month without having to travel to excess.
  • Motosapiens likes this
Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

You'll never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

In Doodie, Veritas.

"You might be a little thin-skinned for this forum". -Scott.

#37 foofighter

foofighter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,388 posts

Posted 28 September 2015 - 09:48 PM

Not really any different than many other amateur sports. We used to spend heinous amounts of time and money racing dirt bikes (and had a blast). Shooting takes much less time and much less money to get good at, and is also fun.

I don't really care about whether it's marketable to fat people who watch tv. Fuck those fat fuckers. It's a participant sport, and I enjoy participating in it.

But when you race bikes you get a little more than 8 x 15s out of a day.

#38 Motosapiens

Motosapiens

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,524 posts

Posted 28 September 2015 - 09:51 PM

But when you race bikes you get a little more than 8 x 15s out of a day.

If that's all you get out of shooting, you are doing it wrong. For me, each stage is just the culmination of an intense period of preparation.

2013 National Champion C class  Limited 10

#39 foofighter

foofighter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,388 posts

Posted 28 September 2015 - 11:58 PM

If that's all you get out of shooting, you are doing it wrong. For me, each stage is just the culmination of an intense period of preparation.

That sounds more like sex...

• Miculek is a Noob likes this

#40 Just Some Random Hoser

Just Some Random Hoser

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

Posted 29 September 2015 - 05:18 AM

What's in it for me?

Or, in more grandiose terms, what's in it for us? 

Seriously -- why is bigger better?

Somebody once told me..."if your growing then you're green"..."if you're not green then you're dying".

What the fuck that meant I have no idea, but I was told that.

I'm a DoD Contractor and every time I hear people talking about growing this or growing that for my work, I just tell them that all I want is to MAINTAIN my employment...yeah; I don't have many friends at work; but fuck them too...I show up everyday, on time (06:30) and aggressively work on the broke shit I fix (which on two people in the world can actually do...).

I don't think USPSA needs to grow, they should maintain what they have...what I mean is; I've seen three clubs that I used to shoot at in Alabama and Tennessee close down and go away. One of those clubs (NTPS) was a pretty good range with like 20+ bays...on both sides of that creek that split up the place. Maintain what we have...

Maintain what we have; we need to figure out how to keep ahold of the ground that we have already...IMHO.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: uspsa

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users