#541 Trigger Warning

Trigger Warning

That's What She Said

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,496 posts
  • LocationRaleighwood

Posted 08 February 2018 - 07:46 AM

From my limited understanding the electric powder dispenser can handle operating at the highest speed of the Revolution and Im thinking that’s its use case. I can’t see any reason why I would replace any of the current powder measures on the other machines for it, or upgrade the Evolution with it. Of course, maybe it does something I don’t know about but I’m just looking to throw the same charge each time the plate goes round.

It’s a manual charge adjustment. There is not a scale or micrometer. You just loosen the nut, turn the knob and tighten it back up. It has an arrow so you can see relative change of the knob.

On injured reserve.

#542 Machine

Machine

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 02:52 AM

It's a shame that the powder measure isn't a micrometer marked unit

#543 MemphisMechanic

MemphisMechanic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 736 posts
  • LocationMemphis, TN

Posted 09 February 2018 - 09:06 AM

It's a shame that the powder measure isn't a micrometer marked unit

I wouldn’t be surprised if they go the way of Alexa / Siri / OK Google rather than stick with old-timey micrometer widgets.

“Mark 7, set powder charge to 3.7 grains.”

“Confirmed 3.7 grains. Set.”

“Resume loading.”

<whirring noises>
  • maximis228 and MEISTERB like this
I won an IDPA match once. It was neat.

#544 peterthefish

peterthefish

Banned.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,999 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 10:24 AM

If my powder measure can’t sense the powder type, cartridge, and bullet, and automatically set the charge weight without input, I’m not interested.

#545 mustakrakish

mustakrakish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 10:39 PM

Any updates?

I'm admittedly more interested in the Evolution than the Revolution, but they're essentially the same machine under all of the bolt-ons, correct?

#546 Trigger Warning

Trigger Warning

That's What She Said

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,496 posts
  • LocationRaleighwood

Posted 12 February 2018 - 05:28 AM

The Revolution has a direct drive, but generally I think they are very similar.

It’s all moving parts, and getting everything tweaked or running smoothly is still a work in progress. I’ve spent time talking with the engineers about set up and learned a lot.

I’ll do more detail when I’m back at my laptop. Spoiler alert: I did fuck the spring up, and you do not want to fuck the spring up! Peterthefish saw this coming. The were some other challenges though; most of those have been worked through. I’m going to try to run it tonight and see if it is ready to just make ammo. Close.

On injured reserve.

#547 Trigger Warning

Trigger Warning

That's What She Said

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,496 posts
  • LocationRaleighwood

Posted 12 February 2018 - 08:30 AM

Here’s my set up journey so far, moving around the press.

The case feeding has been perfect, and the feeder is extremely fast.

On the sizing station, I’ve had cases getting jammed/crushed by not being aligned to the die.  Factors here include the piece that aligns the spring and the shellplate.  I had the piece aligned so the spring was not abutting the entirety of the shellplate slot so that was contributing.  Mark 7 is also sending a newer rev of the 38SC shellplate.  The issue may be killed by the spring adjustment; I haven’t had a chance to run the machine over the weekend.

The swage station works with no drama.

The priming station is good.  The on-board collator works well.  It is also nice that basically all the system is visible, and you can dump primers by taking out the plug, or loosen the shellplate slightly and remove the whole disc.  So far, this is a winner.

The next station I use an M die and of course that is straightforward.

The powder drop has been an adventure.  It would certainly be important on set up to make sure the switch triggers when appropriate under any potential movement, including lateral, as it does not take much to activate the switch.  I’ve had it not trigger, and also trigger when I didn’t want it to.  It has also stuck in the up position a few times; not sure why there is friction that would cause that.  I’ve beveled the triggering piece a bit more so the drop does not activate at a time other than up or down movement of the drop.  However, I still need to figure out why it might stay up sometimes.  I would definitely get a powder checker on board before loading bulk ammo.

When powder is dropped, I’m getting more spilling than I can live with.  In slow motion, most of that is on the start of the movement of the shellplate – none on the stopping of it.  The new shellplate could help deal with that.  Also, since it was not doing this when I was first using the machine, it’s possible I’ve got too much or too little drag on the plate based on high tight it is and spring tension.  There is also a little bit of powder spilled when the drop occurs.  This was reduced, I think, when I set the dropper a little lower, but Mark 7 is sending a new funnel that has a different taper profile for this cartridge.  Anyway, I will work on this issue next.

Next station I have not set up a powder checker yet.  There may be a specific one coming for the Revolution, but I have one of the standard Mark 7 ones I will install for now.

The bulletdrop is working flawlessly.  No hair-tie.  I guess the spring alignment and extra mass on the drop assembly are the heroes here.

OAL and crimp are generally set.  I will get keyed in on these once the powder is running solid, but they are close enough for now.

The spring that retains the cases is not idiot-proof as somehow I got it bunged up within the first 100 rounds.  That could be all me, but it is obviously somewhat fragile and a spare on hand would be highly advisable, as proper function of the spring is critical.

Software is basically the same as other Mark 7 units, except with new buttons for coming sensors and for the powder dispenser.  If they were letting me drive the revisions, I would add a maintenance cycle counter to indicate when various parts should be lubed or whatever, and also on the active running machine it would be nice if the calibrate button required a confirm press if hit once, in case, hypothetically, someone is trying to watch the press while getting it to activate in certain ways.  Hypothetically.

On injured reserve.

#548 Trigger Warning

Trigger Warning

That's What She Said

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,496 posts
  • LocationRaleighwood

Posted 15 February 2018 - 04:29 PM

The Revolution won't be televised, but it will be on youtube.

Installed new shell plate and set the die lower for the powder dispenser. Essentially all the erratic behavior of the dispenser was cured by increasing vertical travel.  Bad set-up.  I would still like a powder checker checking it and will do that.  Anyway, no powder spilling from the dispenser.  I also found some of the powder spill was caused by the plate movement, and that turned out to be tweaking the set up of the collator disc turner, which was catching on something and then letting go.  It took quite a while to figure it out, but it is figured out.

Now, it makes ammo.  Time to fine tune and enjoy.

• mustakrakish, Roons, dansedgli and 1 other like this

On injured reserve.

#549 GuanoLoco

GuanoLoco

Minister of Culture

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,115 posts
  • LocationMy Safe Space

Posted 16 February 2018 - 12:18 AM

Thanks for posting.
Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

You'll never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

In Doodie, Veritas.

"You might be a little thin-skinned for this forum". -Scott.

#550 Trigger Warning

Trigger Warning

That's What She Said

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,496 posts
  • LocationRaleighwood

Posted 20 March 2018 - 07:54 AM

Mr. Bulletfeeder Pro doing what it does.

On injured reserve.

#551 Trigger Warning

Trigger Warning

That's What She Said

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,496 posts
  • LocationRaleighwood

Posted 20 March 2018 - 08:40 AM

And the Revolution making ammo the old fashioned way.

On injured reserve.

#552 Trigger Warning

Trigger Warning

That's What She Said

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,496 posts
  • LocationRaleighwood

Posted 02 May 2018 - 04:27 AM

Chris taking a look at the factory Revolution.  They have some more things coming for the machine that almost (but not) make me wish I had more reloading to do.  I have the newer style powder drop assembly and also powder check like in this video and they are doing very well.  I think the Evolution is going to be very, very tough to beat for the home gentleman reloader.

On injured reserve.

#553 Flexmoney

Flexmoney

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,764 posts

Posted 03 May 2018 - 08:39 AM

Not even blue.  

Unless otherwise noted, expect that all my posting here is in true Doodie fashion.  If my post somehow upsets your sensibilities, well...there ya go.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users