243 replies to this topic

#1 busdriver

busdriver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 15 November 2015 - 09:33 PM

So I figure I'll give this a shot.  Shot a couple matches since summer and now that work is getting in the way of my weekends, it's as good a time as any to analyse how I'm doing.  

My grip was generally terrible, and I had a tendency to get one sight picture then whack the trigger twice instead of actually aiming both shots.  Which really didn't work out well at longer ranges.  So I spent some time shooting doubles at the range and filming it to analyse things.

I still need to dry fire the grip so I actually do it without thinking about it, but I'm not too sure about the wobble between shots.  Uneven grip pressure?

Fuck that video

#2 Larry Costa

Larry Costa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 797 posts

Posted 15 November 2015 - 09:45 PM

I wouldn't analyze your grip like that in slow motion and make a big deal out of it.  What does it do when you shoot fast.  Does it recoil left, right, etc.  That will tell you where you need more or less pressure.  Ideally it will go straight up and maybe slightly the direction of your weak hand but your mind eyes and hands can be taught to work like a macro computer and fix all that in hundredths of a second.  Shooting "pairs" or "doubles" or anything where you shoot two shots with one sight picture is almost always not a good thing.  Shoot one round at a time; learn to see, think and process faster.

Read Practical Shooting Beyond Fundamentals by Brian Enos, dry fire a lot, and make every round you shoot teach you something. 

Because of who I am dawg = EABOD

#3 busdriver

busdriver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 15 November 2015 - 10:14 PM

Thanks Larry.  I've read Enos' book, knowing that I should be aiming every shot and actually doing it after the buzzer have been two different things so far.  After reading your "doubles" comment I realized the video is actually of a dot drill.  The doubles part came later.  The indoor range I shoot at most often gets cranky about "rapid fire" but "double taps" are ok.

It really didn't hit me that I wasn't aiming the second shot on paper until my last match.  I blasted through 5 poppers with 6 shots, pretty quick for me then shot A/D on the two paper targets next to the steel and didn't realize it until I saw the hole appear in the target.

#4 Stubb

Stubb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,695 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 16 November 2015 - 06:31 AM

Wobbling aside, are the sights snapping back on target? Or are you having to do a lot of cleaning up once they return from recoil? They'll end up pretty much where they need to be with a solid grip and index and won't consistently pull to one direction or another.

#5 busdriver

busdriver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 16 November 2015 - 08:24 AM

Sounds like the consensus is fuck the wobble; the sights are pretty damn close after all is said and done.  It just occurred to me that on the last two strings of fire yesterday, I think I finally saw why Mr White said the dot drill is a great visual patience drill.  I was actually seeing a sight picture of some sort between all six shots; and lo an behold all six shots were hits.

Incidentally, the "beavertail" of the XD is a terrible abortion of non-ergonomics.  The edge chewed off a couple layers of skin on my thumb knuckle again, time for some dremel surgery.  I would just say fuck it and shoot a different gun, but I'm still indecisive about what division I want to shoot next year.  Plus who the fuck would buy an XDm .40 that is only legal for limited at this point.  Note to self: don't buy dumb guns to just "try out" a division, they end up yours forever.

#6 GuanoLoco

GuanoLoco

Minister of Culture

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,245 posts
  • LocationMy Safe Space

Posted 16 November 2015 - 08:53 AM

Learn to obtain and maintain a solid and consistent grip.

Shoot as fast as you can get an acceptable sight picture.

Stop yanking the trigger so hard you pull the sights off target.

Flesh heals, you will eventually get calluses if you let it chew you up just a little each session.
Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

You'll never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

In Doodie, Veritas.

"You might be a little thin-skinned for this forum". -Scott.

#7 busdriver

busdriver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 16 November 2015 - 10:41 AM

Jesus, that's all?  Seriously, thanks.  I think the first two are my biggest low hanging fruit right now.  

#8 ToddKS

ToddKS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,505 posts
  • LocationGetting killed in the streets

Posted 16 November 2015 - 01:30 PM

Sounds like the consensus is fuck the wobble; the sights are pretty damn close after all is said and done. It just occurred to me that on the last two strings of fire yesterday, I think I finally saw why Mr White said the dot drill is a great visual patience drill. I was actually seeing a sight picture of some sort between all six shots; and lo an behold all six shots were hits.

Incidentally, the "beavertail" of the XD is a terrible abortion of non-ergonomics. The edge chewed off a couple layers of skin on my thumb knuckle again, time for some dremel surgery. I would just say fuck it and shoot a different gun, but I'm still indecisive about what division I want to shoot next year. Plus who the fuck would buy an XDm .40 that is only legal for limited at this point. Note to self: don't buy dumb guns to just "try out" a division, they end up yours forever.

Are you saying that the slide is hitting your thumb? I have that problem with pre gen 4 Glocks but never with an XDm.

#9 busdriver

busdriver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 16 November 2015 - 02:51 PM

Nope, the ass end of an XD slide overhangs the grip so the frame extends back further than on a Glock in a sort of beavertail. Problem is, it's every bit as wide as the slide and has no taper. So my support hand smashes my thumb into that "corner" on the frame, and it rubs away flesh under recoil. This is actually the second time I've taken sand paper to that part of the frame, so it's not a new thing.

#10 busdriver

busdriver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 22 November 2015 - 05:53 PM

Fairly worthless week/weekend as far as actual training.  Screwed around with a new pistol and what I have on hand for load development and did a limited amount of dry firing reloads.  Quick reloads with a 3lb gun is work, but dots and comps are cool as shit.  Should get a holster for it next week and be ready to continue my march of mediocrity.

#11 nwhpfan

nwhpfan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts

Posted 22 November 2015 - 06:15 PM

Fairly worthless week/weekend as far as actual training.  Screwed around with a new pistol and what I have on hand for load development and did a limited amount of dry firing reloads.  Quick reloads with a 3lb gun is work, but dots and comps are cool as shit.  Should get a holster for it next week and be ready to continue my march of mediocrity.

What are you going to shoot and what load are you working on?

#12 busdriver

busdriver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 22 November 2015 - 06:55 PM

I've been screwing around with a slide mounted dot on a P-09 lately, decided iron sights are for suckers and bought a CZ Czechmate.  I might have gone full retard.

I have a shit load of 147g bullets and Power Pistol, so I picked up some 115g bullets from Bass Pro (they didn't have any 125s) and gave it a whirl.  I didn't like the way the primers looked with the 115s, so I've just been screwing around with the 147s while I wait for a shipment of different powders and bullets.  

The gun is silly accurate and comes with a great trigger so that's good.  I did have to lower the ramp a bit to get it to feed 100% once I dropped grams guts into the magazines and the magwell that comes with it isn't blended with frame at all, but both of those are easy fixes.

#13 GuanoLoco

GuanoLoco

Minister of Culture

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,245 posts
  • LocationMy Safe Space

Posted 22 November 2015 - 07:16 PM

Is this an open shooter being born in a field-expedient C-section? Euuuuwwww.
  • ZachJ likes this
Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

You'll never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

In Doodie, Veritas.

"You might be a little thin-skinned for this forum". -Scott.

#14 busdriver

busdriver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 22 November 2015 - 07:32 PM

With rusty cutting implements. 

#15 NickBlasta

NickBlasta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 500 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 23 November 2015 - 07:12 AM

Well shit. Welcome to open.

#16 busdriver

busdriver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 06:40 PM

The holster insert came in the mail today, and unrelated to shooting I got back in the gym after a too long hiatus.  Got an SP-01 insert and modified it to work with the CM.

I dry fired some el pres with a 4.5s par time and made up one where I see how far I can start from a fault line and engage one target in 2 seconds.  El pres was very inconsistent, and the second drill is around two mountain bike lengths.  

And the gym thing?  My arms are fucking sore and slinging around 4 pounds of former commie steel hurts, I called it quits on the dry fire after 15 minutes. 

#17 busdriver

busdriver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 25 November 2015 - 01:36 PM

30 minutes of dry fire; 4 aces with a 2.5s par time and the 2s move into position drill from yesterday.

Pretty major breakthrough on the draw, I tried grabbing the gun with my fingers against the front strap before my palm.  Is that a “scoop draw?” in any event it was a lot faster and more consistent.  I went from struggling to hit the par time and having to nail the reload to make it, to seemingly having an eternity to aim even with what seems like a slow reload.  Still not sure how to translate that into a surrender position draw.

Need to work on looking the magazine into the gun and pulling the pistol in closer to my body.  When I feel rushed I tend to look back to the target and start pulling my fingers away from the magazine index before it’s actually in the magwell.  The metal gun is much less forgiving on getting the magazine aligned with the well than my XD.  All combined, rushing=screwed up reloads.

Moving into position and shoot I added a vision barrier this time (ran down the hallway).  No big surprises, but it reinforced get moving first, worry about the draw enroute and have the gun up before you getting to the position.  I did realize I have been looking at the spot on the ground that I want to go to, which was really slowing me down.  Having a good sense of where I wanted to be looks like in my peripheral vision really helped to not over shoot and still be ready to pull the trigger when I stop. 

I played with which leg to push off with when I’m moving.  My natural instinct seemed to use my left leg no matter which direction the movement. So cross-over step going left and lunge type step moving right.  Weird.  Trying both it seemed like a lunge was faster with shorter distances and cross over was faster if there was enough room to really start running.  Somewhere around 13ish feet seemed to be about the same.

I really need to find a place to shoot where I can practice this stuff with actual bullets.

#18 busdriver

busdriver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 26 November 2015 - 08:16 PM

~30minutes dry fire. Tried 4 aces with a 2.3s par time and playing with grip panel thickness. 

Settled on a slightly thicker panel on the right side than left.  Grit covered panel chewed up my palm a bit, so I hit that with some sand paper to knock it down some.

As long as I didn’t let the timer beep get to me, the 2.3 par time wasn’t bad.  Probably about 90% trigger pulls on brown, maybe 75% A zone.  Seems like a pretty good time to practice with for awhile.

#19 busdriver

busdriver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 29 November 2015 - 08:51 PM

Weekend report:  Struggling to get my chrono to work indoors but I think I have a solution, needless to say load development has been un-productive.  Still working draws and reloads in dry fire.

-Draw to dot on a scaled 7yd head box, no trigger pull with a decreasing par time, no trigger pull.  Working that down I ended at .6, but was probably about 50% at that point.

-Reload from a sight picture at the start beep, I can’t seem to work that down below 1s.  Even at 1s I’m very inconsistent.  I think I need to put the timer down for this one, I keep grabbing the hag pouch or try to bring the mag up to the gun before it’s out of the pouch.

Balancing staying relaxed and still moving a heavy gun fast and gripping hard has been a challenge.  I guess I’m starting to develop my own little pre-start routine of forcing my shoulders down and focusing on not tensing up.

#20 peterthefish

peterthefish

Banned.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,999 posts

Posted 29 November 2015 - 11:00 PM

[font='times new roman'][size=3]Weekend report: Struggling to get my chrono to work indoors but I think I have a solution, needless to say load development has been un-productive.

It's called incandescent lighting. Or buy a chrono lighting kit.
  • GuanoLoco likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users