#21 NickBlasta

NickBlasta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 500 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 29 November 2015 - 11:50 PM

Weekend report:  Struggling to get my chrono to work indoors but I think I have a solution, needless to say load development has been un-productive.  Still working draws and reloads in dry fire.

-Draw to dot on a scaled 7yd head box, no trigger pull with a decreasing par time, no trigger pull.  Working that down I ended at .6, but was probably about 50% at that point.

-Reload from a sight picture at the start beep, I can’t seem to work that down below 1s.  Even at 1s I’m very inconsistent.  I think I need to put the timer down for this one, I keep grabbing the hag pouch or try to bring the mag up to the gun before it’s out of the pouch.

Balancing staying relaxed and still moving a heavy gun fast and gripping hard has been a challenge.  I guess I’m starting to develop my own little pre-start routine of forcing my shoulders down and focusing on not tensing up.

Reloading is the thing that takes a ton of reps (over a lot of sessions) to get it right, you can't force a fast reload.

Try doing the component reloads before you do actual reloads. I find that helps me really nail them.

#22 busdriver

busdriver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 30 November 2015 - 05:48 PM

Dry fire report:  Ran reload component drills. (thanks Nickblasta)  ID’d that I haven’t been rotating the gun to actually point the magwell at the mag source.  I’ve rushing elsewhere to make up for that.  Once I changed that and made a conscious effort to rotate my wrist and bring my elbow down a bit it freed up enough time to actually take the time to get a good index on the mag.  Went back to running 4 aces after and was much more consistent.  Winning! 

Then I decided that just dot on brown wasn’t good enough and moved my aimpoint to the head box.  I didn’t bother to change par time and just left it as a sort of metronome of sorts without the real intent to actually make the time.  Well, the last ten or so “runs” I made the par time, with all shots on the head. 

While they wouldn’t have all been alphas, what’s interesting is that I got a lot faster once I started focusing on getting the “hits” rather than thinking about the reload or the draw.  It was actually really cool to fuck up the first two after the draw, reload get the second two hits and then hear the beep start after and realize I had a “ton” more time to aim on the first two.

• NickBlasta likes this

#23 GuanoLoco

GuanoLoco

Minister of Culture

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,241 posts
  • LocationMy Safe Space

Posted 30 November 2015 - 07:03 PM

It's called incandescent lighting. Or buy a chrono lighting kit.

Chrono + Light Kit + Big blue plastic tub from Walmart + 7 x 40 lbs bags rubber mulch + duct tape + garage = awesome place to efficiently work up loads.

Like PTF says, turn off the fluorescents. Sadly, my garage is 100% fluorescent. I point a flashlight at my improv bullet trap/chrono screen, put on a head lamp and run a set of loads. No fuss, no muss.
  • Will likes this
Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

You'll never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

In Doodie, Veritas.

"You might be a little thin-skinned for this forum". -Scott.

#24 busdriver

busdriver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 30 November 2015 - 08:05 PM

Unfortunately I live in an apartment.  

It sort of worked a couple months back testing minor loads using some cheap ass LED lights.  Those failed this time, so I got a set of white LED lights to try.  Still no workie.  I'm think I'm too close and the muzzle bast is screwing things up.  The range manager offered to let me come in before they open on a Sunday and setup a tripod down range.  Hopefully that works, otherwise I may have to buy the light kit.

#25 busdriver

busdriver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 30 November 2015 - 08:24 PM

Screwing around with youtube, cause ya know cool guy videos and shit.  Deleted old channel and started anew.

I also decided to try the reload drill from Ben's book.  It feels like I can't pull the damn trigger fast enough.

edit: Turning the camera on also turns me into a fumbling idiot.  I went from about 75% whats in the video, to closer to 50%.  Might be a useful performance stress tool for me.

#26 GuanoLoco

GuanoLoco

Minister of Culture

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,241 posts
  • LocationMy Safe Space

Posted 01 December 2015 - 12:11 AM

Decide to spend about a month working reload drills. Work them on the move as well, all directions.

Even Open shooters have to come out of the closet and reload on stages other than Classifiers once in a while.

In Doodie, Veritas.

#27 busdriver

busdriver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 06:31 AM

I know, slow and inconsistent is no way to go through life.

#28 busdriver

busdriver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 06:34 PM

Well, an hour straight of dry fire is too much.  Had reverted to throwing mags across the room.  I managed to calm myself down and press on just to see if I could, made it about ten minutes before the stupid reared its head again.

Warmed up with standing draws, then four aces, then three bill drills with reloads between, then four aces again but with a movement between two targets separated by a vision barrier, then back to the bill drills again.  Then the stupid hit and I went back to fours aces.  So yeah, too many drills with no time to process in-between.  

#29 GuanoLoco

GuanoLoco

Minister of Culture

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,241 posts
  • LocationMy Safe Space

Posted 01 December 2015 - 06:43 PM

I can't teach you to juggle in an hour, but I could easily in 6 separate 10-minute sessions.

In Doodie, Veritas.

#30 busdriver

busdriver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 06:54 PM

Yes master Yoda.  There was a glimmer of hope early on with my draw.  I've been bowling the gun up from the holster a bit rather than pulling it up high enough to meet my support hand.  Not sure changing that really saved much time but it did seem to help with consistency a bit.  Then the stupid made me back into the Amish kingpin.  

#31 NickBlasta

NickBlasta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 500 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 02 December 2015 - 05:37 AM

I dunno about you but my hands and arms get real tired tossing around the open gun and a 30 rounder. Do a drill and then take a break and do a different one.

#32 busdriver

busdriver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 06:51 AM

Man, you and Guano with advice I could have used yesterday!   Not sure what actually got into my head, I normally do one at a time. 

#33 GuanoLoco

GuanoLoco

Minister of Culture

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,241 posts
  • LocationMy Safe Space

Posted 02 December 2015 - 09:57 AM

Next work yourself up a good case of tendinitis and spend the next year or two trying to get over it.

In Doodie, Veritas.

#34 ToddKS

ToddKS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,504 posts
  • LocationGetting killed in the streets

Posted 02 December 2015 - 08:21 PM

Next work yourself up a good case of tendinitis and spend the next year or two trying to get over it.

This is a real thing. Even if you are not having problems with this yet I would recommend you do some daily preventive stretching and strengthening exercises.

I have involuntarily developed a lot of experience with elbow issues. They suck.

#35 peterthefish

peterthefish

Banned.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,999 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 08:38 PM

This is a real thing. Even if you are not having problems with this yet I would recommend you do some daily preventive stretching and strengthening exercises.

I have involuntarily developed a lot of experience with elbow issues. They suck.

Agree. I think the best exercise to prevent elbow issues is working through the Captains of Crush grippers as fast as possible, making sure to use them daily if possible.

Also, reload a ton.
  • 69bowty likes this

#36 busdriver

busdriver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 09:06 PM

I'll keep the grip exercises in my routine.  

Dry fire tonight was pretty routine.  More draw and reload practice.  I think the easy gains from figuring out the new gun are past, time to actually do work.

#37 GuanoLoco

GuanoLoco

Minister of Culture

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,241 posts
  • LocationMy Safe Space

Posted 02 December 2015 - 09:14 PM

If you develop the technique of reloading with your left and right hand on a 1050/MBF, alternating every 25-50 rounds for 10K rounds or so in about 2 weeks then you can get a good case going in both elbows. Add lots of dry fire, intermittent live fire, 1-2 weekly matches and a 4-day training class with Stegger to seal the deal.

In Doodie, Veritas.

#38 busdriver

busdriver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 08:50 PM

Well I have a 550 not a 1050, so I'm probably good on tendinitis growth in the reloading arena...

Dry Fire tonight: 4 10 minute sessions with some TV time in-between.  Four aces warm-up; with the vision barrier and movement between targets again; draw with movement to first target, then move again to a second; then screwed around with tracking the dot while moving just cause.

The second drill had a movement of around 5 feet.  I seemed to be most consistent getting the reload done as I'm starting to lean in the direction of movement, and pushing off to actually move as I seat the mag.  Trying to actually move and reload at the same time was faster when all the stars aligned, but I fucked it up a lot more.  I bumped the par time for this one back up to 2.5s.  Short moves with a reload are going to need some work.

I tried reloading a couple times between targets on the third drill, but they were far enough apart that the reload seemed to be a non-factor.

Anyone ever had their thumb freeze on the mag release?  It was like trigger freeze, but with my thumb.

#39 GuanoLoco

GuanoLoco

Minister of Culture

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,241 posts
  • LocationMy Safe Space

Posted 03 December 2015 - 09:12 PM

One trick is to prioritize movement over reloading. I got this backwards when training and Ben helped me realize it.

In Doodie, Veritas.

#40 busdriver

busdriver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 09:25 PM

I remember him saying that on the podcast which is why I was trying it. I felt like I wasn't getting a good hold on the mag when grabbing it mid lunge, it seemed to work better if I got my hand on the mag then started moving and finishing on the move.  Anything where there was room to actually take more than a lunge and shuffle step it was definitely faster to move first.  I probably just need to practice it more.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users