#41 GuanoLoco

GuanoLoco

Minister of Culture

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,234 posts
  • LocationMy Safe Space

Posted 03 December 2015 - 09:38 PM

I heard / read it too. I just wasn't DOING it in practice.
  • DanielKr likes this
Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

You'll never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

In Doodie, Veritas.

"You might be a little thin-skinned for this forum". -Scott.

#42 busdriver

busdriver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 09:42 PM

touche

#43 busdriver

busdriver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 04 December 2015 - 06:40 PM

Dry fire, probably 30min total:

4 aces with movement: felt better, 2.3s par time.  

Gun on target, reload at the beep: 1s par time, felt good, consistent.  Seemed to really help to “relax” and stop trying to slam the magazine home. 

4 aces standing: felt good and consistent at 2.2s par time with A/C's.  Tried 2s, obviously rough but started to get a feel for the pace.

Definite learning point to relax a bit during the reload.  Learning to switch pressure back and forth is going to take some practice.

#44 busdriver

busdriver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 05 December 2015 - 03:56 PM

Actually shot real bullets for a change:  The Dots at 10yd and "Distance Change Up,"  the sight offset was screwing me up I need to practice aiming at the top of where I want to hit.  I also need to keep my finger away from the bump at the top of the trigger, was having some reset issues.  Did a little polishing to help, but still need to fix this in dry fire.

I can't tell the difference between 115g and 124g loads.  The "close" groups seemed to be a little more consistent with the 124s for whatever reason.  Guess I'm going with 124 for the time being.

ETA:  Dry Fire after blew balls.  Sore elbow, fumbled and fucked up all the shit that went awesome yesterday.  Good thing I'm out of town next week.  Probably could use a brief break.

#45 busdriver

busdriver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 11 December 2015 - 04:03 PM

Back from a week out of town, gave El Pres a whirl.  The turning draw felt really awkward, and I struggled to not drag the dot across the targets vice actually stopping.  But I had that A zone bracketed like the bullets in an 80's movie.

Probably need to bump the par time up a bit for a little while.

#46 NickBlasta

NickBlasta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 500 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 11 December 2015 - 07:38 PM

You're getting there. El prez is a complicated drill, that's why it's so nice.

#47 peterthefish

peterthefish

Banned.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,999 posts

Posted 11 December 2015 - 09:14 PM

Solid for two back to back runs. I still throw the mag across the room every 6-7 runs.

#48 busdriver

busdriver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 11 December 2015 - 09:25 PM

I just didn't put the video of that on youtube.

• NickBlasta likes this

#49 busdriver

busdriver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 19 December 2015 - 01:22 PM

Been busy as shit as work, and slacking in dry fire.  Went to the range today though.  Generally shitty shooting up till the last two mags, my grip has gotten lazy.  Using the thumb rest less as a thing to push on and more of a target for my thumb to remind me to get my left wrist locked helped.  10yd dot drills went from absolute shit to back in the ballpark.  Still not good, but at least I was tickling around the rim of the dot instead of wildly missing.  

#50 3gundago

3gundago

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 434 posts

Posted 19 December 2015 - 03:49 PM

Back from a week out of town, gave El Pres a whirl.  The turning draw felt really awkward, and I struggled to not drag the dot across the targets vice actually stopping.  But I had that A zone bracketed like the bullets in an 80's movie.

Probably need to bump the par time up a bit for a little while.

2nd draw looks really close to a trip to dairy queen.  iac, at the beep, snap your head toward the targets as fast as you can, your body will follow a lot faster than you can.

#51 busdriver

busdriver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 19 December 2015 - 08:18 PM

Good catch.  I'll have to watch that.  Stupid turning draw....

The head snap tip helped, at least getting me turned faster.  I damn near fell over the first time I tried it, but at least it's a step in the right direction.

Thanks!

#52 busdriver

busdriver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 30 December 2015 - 09:12 PM

X-Mas vacation in Maryland, so I took the P-09 w/ dot.  On a plus note, the range there doesn't give a shit about rapid fire.  Minus note, still no holster work.  But I did take the opportunity to try some "Bill Drills" with the gun starting at my waist as if I was just clearing the holster.  Ignoring the first shot, I was fairly consistent at .22-.23 splits after a couple range trips.  Surprised myself with one run of .17 splits; but I couldn't repeat it once I started trying to go that fast, I guess trying=fumbling dope.  The dot started to act funny at that speed too, kind of stuttering instead of flashing up and down.  Not sure if the optic is sputtering or if it's my vision, but it doesn't really matter since it will probably only be my Maryland gun.

I took the open gun to the range when I got back.  I need to work on isolating my trigger finger from the rest of my hand.  Even considering the sight offset, I'm pulling shots down.

#53 busdriver

busdriver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 04:25 PM

Two weeks out of town for work..... 

I opened the day shooting groups at 20ish yards (25 was in a dark area and hard to see); first couple were heinous, it's been a long time since I've done that.  Really highlighted my shitty trigger finger.  Playing just the tip fixed things back up, but I reverted back to using the whole booger hook once I picked up the pace.  I'm going to have to dry the the crap out this I guess.  

I think 200 rounds is about my patience limit on a stand and shoot range.  I got bored around that point, so in the spirit of creativity I posted up two B-8 targets (really just the center portion) as far apart as I could get them on the one stand and tried one shot per with an eye towards the transition time between em.  I'm still not sure if it was a productive use of ammo, but it was fun.

#54 busdriver

busdriver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 30 January 2016 - 01:43 PM

Range practice:

Lots and lots of that fucking dot drill......  Felt like I actually made some good progress.  7yds, three shots away from cleaning the thing for once.  10yds is still ugly, maybe 80% percent hits.

Brought out an iron sighted gun just cause it's been so damn long.  Figured I'd blow donkey balls, but it turns out practice is practice to some extent.  I was actually seeing the sights between shots, so that's an improvement on where I was when I picked up dot guns.

Still a couple weeks until the next local match I can make.

EDIT:  Shot again today.  

Dot drill at 10yds, better.  Clearing 4/6 dots on average. 

Cheesy close transition drill: Focusing on the transition part, easily consistent at .33, reasonable at .27, and pretty poor around .2.  

Spent some time shooting a full target at 15yds, watching the dot and playing with grip.  Turns out gripping the crap out of the gun is still important.  

#55 busdriver

busdriver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 04 February 2016 - 10:04 PM

More boring dry fire:

-Draw to a sight picture, .6s on the timer.  Probably more like .7-.8 consistent, I was finishing at the end of the beep

-Draw from hands on wall, move to port entry and engage four targets through the port.  3.5s on the timer.

-Moving while shooting, focusing on stabilizing the dot.

Somewhere around 10 minutes for each drill

#56 busdriver

busdriver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 05 February 2016 - 06:04 PM

One shot away from cleaning the dot drill on the last dot today, called a mulligan and cleared.  Yes it's cheating and doesn't really count, fuck you I don't care.

Dicked around with 25 yard sort of bill drills (no holster at the range) .4ish second splits were fairly easy, .3 not so much.

Over all pretty laid back range trip, shot the irons again for shits and grins and fucked around with a minor load in the open gun.  No one reads this thing anymore, but open minor really is like loud airsoft.  I giggled like a small child.

• GuanoLoco and NickBlasta like this

#57 GuanoLoco

GuanoLoco

Minister of Culture

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,234 posts
  • LocationMy Safe Space

Posted 06 February 2016 - 07:25 PM

I read it. NickBlasta must have read it. Have I mentioned that people really like you?
Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

You'll never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

In Doodie, Veritas.

"You might be a little thin-skinned for this forum". -Scott.

#58 busdriver

busdriver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 06 February 2016 - 08:36 PM

Let no one say you aren't a warm and considerate soul.

#59 busdriver

busdriver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 08 February 2016 - 07:01 PM

Whelp, with the open gun missing a spring and a complete inability to focus at work, I went to the range and shot irons.

Scribbled a 1/3 scale metric (so 1/2 scale a/c zone ?) on one side of the target and a 1/3 scale popper on the other and ran it out to 3.5 yards to get the closest thing to a reasonable transition I could.  Focusing on the actual transition time to and from the popper.  I was not consistent, so that's bad.  Although it was kind of shocking how fast I could actually go when it did work.  

I really need to work on calling shots though, that's actually the worst part.  I missed the "popper" several times and didn't notice until I saw the hole in my peripheral vision after I'd moved on.  That said I did take one make up shot without thinking about it which is pretty cool, too bad it wasn't actually a miss....

So yeah, shot calling needs work.  3.5 yards actually wasn't a waste of time after all.  I ran a couple other targets, but they were all variations on the theme.

#60 peterthefish

peterthefish

Banned.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,999 posts

Posted 08 February 2016 - 07:20 PM

Scribbled a 1/3 scale metric (so 1/2 scale a/c zone ?)

I would like to see the math on this one.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users