#1 thegrandwazoo

thegrandwazoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,369 posts
  • LocationYour mom

Posted 16 December 2015 - 07:32 PM

So I decided 6 weeks ago that I would no longer just "Exercise" with weights and cardio and I was going to start training so I hit that shit hard. I am doing a version of a 5x5 and man I am starting to feel strong but I haven't been shooting much so I am not sure what I will see on the range.

I know most you fuckers are not fat except for the IDPgAyer's and and only Jae really talks about moving heavy shit so I ask, Do you even lift? What shit are you doing and is it helping?

Doyouevenliftbro-1.jpg

#2 Vagetarian

Vagetarian

I used to have 3 warning points.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,982 posts
  • LocationLightyears from Ben's nuts.

Posted 16 December 2015 - 07:33 PM

no

• thegrandwazoo likes this

Kitten_zps66d94599.jpg
I just man-handled that prick with my Type-A personality.
Dipshit tard duckweed goat humper.

You're all a bunch of fucking idiots and retards!

#3 Shithead23

Shithead23

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
  • LocationAmerican desert

Posted 16 December 2015 - 07:44 PM

I still move 1400 in combined lifts and I'm 47. I can't say muscle mass impairs your shooting. Cardio is still important and a sensible diet. I weigh 260 and hit the weights 5 days a week. I workout for an hour and do one body part per day. I hit calves and absolutely every other day. I don't go below 3 reps on squats or bench.
  • Stubb likes this

L2683

#4 Shithead23

Shithead23

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
  • LocationAmerican desert

Posted 16 December 2015 - 07:45 PM

Abs........ calves and abs......

L2683

#5 peterthefish

peterthefish

Banned.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,001 posts

Posted 16 December 2015 - 07:46 PM

Two days a week when I can. Hard to tell if it's that or practicing which is helping the most, but I'm getting gooder.

I do find a good upper body workout kills DF / Live Fire abilities for a day or two.

#6 thegrandwazoo

thegrandwazoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,369 posts
  • LocationYour mom

Posted 16 December 2015 - 07:53 PM

Right on.

I am 45 and never trained like this before. I am doing a linear progression 3 times a week. Every workout starts with squats and work sets move up in weight 5lb each session. It's freaking amazing me! I am not getting sore but I sure as hell know I have been working out. All the big lifts. It's the Reg Park 5x5.

#7 thegrandwazoo

thegrandwazoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,369 posts
  • LocationYour mom

Posted 16 December 2015 - 08:02 PM

I am hoping for more explosive power moving out of a position and even greater gun control (The good kind).

• jrb06 likes this

#8 ToddKS

ToddKS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts
  • LocationGetting killed in the streets

Posted 16 December 2015 - 08:05 PM

I lift but not with the intention of moving serious weight. Twenty years ago I was serious about lifting (405+ bench press etc). The problem is that at age 42 injuries that used to take days to heal now take months. My goal now is to have a reasonable level of strength without risking injury.

The only thing I train serious is grip, forearms and biceps.

#9 Will

Will

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,430 posts

Posted 16 December 2015 - 08:10 PM

1.5 million say this guys the shit... Words of wisdom right here..

#10 thegrandwazoo

thegrandwazoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,369 posts
  • LocationYour mom

Posted 16 December 2015 - 08:12 PM

I lift but not with the intention of moving serious weight. Twenty years ago I was serious about lifting (405+ bench press etc). The problem is that at age 42 injuries that used to take days to heal now take months. My goal now is to have a reasonable level of strength without risking injury.

The only thing I train serious is grip, forearms and biceps.

4 Plates! That's legit! 

I sure understand injuries I am wondering what my knee will do once I start getting into the 3rd plate.

#11 thegrandwazoo

thegrandwazoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,369 posts
  • LocationYour mom

Posted 16 December 2015 - 08:13 PM

Bro Science is the shit! 

• Will likes this

#12 Doc

Doc

Google ( o Y o ) SME

• Moderators
  • 4,264 posts

Posted 16 December 2015 - 08:29 PM

Unload and Show Clear...
tsarbombaexplos2.jpg
"Licorne" French Polynesia 1970

It pins my irony meter when people post things like "your to stupid..."

You brought a rifle to a handgun competition?

#13 Stubb

Stubb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,695 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 16 December 2015 - 08:37 PM

Hard to say if helps, as I've been doing it for longer than I've been shooting seriously, but I don't feel that athleticism or lack thereof is what's holding back my shooting. I'm doing heavy weights for low reps three days a week. A typical workout for me is warming up on big lift (squat, deadlift, power clean) by starting with the bar and adding weight incrementally until I'm at my first work set. I'll do a couple sets of five, typically increasing the weight the first three sets then holding steady for a few and maybe backing off on the final one. Last squat workout was 5x245, 5x275, 5x285, 5x295, 5x295, 5x295. If deadlifting, I'll do something similar. Some days, I'll kick up the weight for singles, occasionally I'll work sets of 10 or 20. Then I'll hit something like bench press or overhead press with a similar pattern before wrapping up with some combo of kettlebell swings, pull-ups, abs, curls, dips, etc. No cardio or running. We go for plenty of evening/weekend walks in our 'hood.

I tried working in grip training a year ago, and that just caused elbow tendonitis to flare up. 

Joints are all doing fine despite past abuse thanks to glucosamine chondroitin.

FWIW, I'm 43, 5'8", 175#.

#14 AMNS

AMNS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • LocationA4

Posted 16 December 2015 - 09:31 PM

Noob gains are great, hope they keep you motivated and you avoid the usual injuries.  Had my strength phase in the past, now I mostly do circuit training supplemented with dumbbell weights.  

#15 Sweet T

Sweet T

Glock Master Race

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,694 posts

Posted 16 December 2015 - 10:16 PM

Tren hard, eat clen

#16 thegrandwazoo

thegrandwazoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,369 posts
  • LocationYour mom

Posted 16 December 2015 - 10:40 PM

Noob gains are great, hope they keep you motivated and you avoid the usual injuries.  Had my strength phase in the past, now I mostly do circuit training supplemented with dumbbell weights.  

Motivation is no problem. All I have to do is walk down the hall to my rack. I too hope to stay injury free and I am not looking to squat 700  just see if I can get pretty strong. Although, I can see how it could become an addiction.

#17 Moustache6

Moustache6

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 379 posts
  • LocationCONUS/OCONUS

Posted 17 December 2015 - 08:10 AM

So I decided 6 weeks ago that I would no longer just "Exercise" with weights and cardio and I was going to start training so I hit that shit hard. I am doing a version of a 5x5 and man I am starting to feel strong but I haven't been shooting much so I am not sure what I will see on the range.

#18 Sweet T

Sweet T

Glock Master Race

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,694 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 09:43 AM

Funny you should post this, as I'm about a month into cycling through Starting Strength for the second time.  

I figure I'll exhaust the gainzz available from SS then move into the Texas Method.

I don't expect it will make much of a difference in shooting but I enjoy it for its own sake.

#19 thegrandwazoo

thegrandwazoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,369 posts
  • LocationYour mom

Posted 17 December 2015 - 09:51 AM

Yeah I am going to run the progression for 16 weeks then may switch to periodization like Madcow or the Texas method as well. Just going to let the gainz direct me.

#20 jayohee

jayohee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 09:57 AM

I've also done weightlifting for much much longer than shooting and I personally thinks it helps, but only to a certain point. Much like sprinters or other explosive athletes having a 300 lb bench press is probably overkill. Things that will help shooting are going to be more HIIT and dynamic movements. Box jumps, ladder drills, jump squats and clean/jerks to name a few

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users