90 replies to this topic

#81 beerbaron

beerbaron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 06:07 PM

Well I have neither friends nor a mk7 so I just sit here tugging my pecker like a demented monkey till something good happens on the interwebz like a -2 scandal or Kim kardashian selfie. Or shovel a d grade amount of brass into my d grade Lyman 1200. Brass drying time? Mine doesn't even get wet. :( help!

#82 ToddKS

ToddKS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,269 posts
  • LocationGetting killed in the streets

Posted 24 May 2017 - 05:40 AM

I shun the dehydrator. I dry mine in the driveway in perforated bus tubs after shaking the big water off them.Posted Image

#83 Trigger Warning

Trigger Warning

That's What She Said

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,194 posts
  • LocationRaleighwood

Posted 24 May 2017 - 05:42 AM

How long does that usually take?

I'm figuring for a modest run of brass -500 to a 1000 say- the dry media takes about 4.5 hours and the mixer about 3.5 all in.

#84 ToddKS

ToddKS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,269 posts
  • LocationGetting killed in the streets

Posted 24 May 2017 - 05:47 AM

On a good sunny day I give them a couple hours in the sun they let them sit overnight before use. I do throw them in an old towel and roll them around before I put them in the tubs.

#85 GuanoLoco

GuanoLoco

Minister of Culture

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,595 posts
  • LocationMy Safe Space

Posted 24 May 2017 - 07:12 AM

I haven't had a chance to even use mine yet, brass was short for a while and now all my gear is out on loan.

In small batches time is your friend, just set it for a really long time and go to bed. I used to run 4-8 hours for my old crappy 300 watt unit. Running back-to-back batches is different, which is why I ended up with 2 x 1000 watt units.

I expect it back though, and have accumulated a ton* of brass that needs to be processed. It will probably be a couple weeks before my schedule permits firing up the madness.

*A lot closer to truthiness than not... I currently have multiple full gallon bags of sorted mixed caliber brass that needs processing, plus a 7 gal heaping bucket of mixed brass, plus 11 5 gal buckets of 9mm, plus a bud just brought me a 5 gal or 9mm and a 5 gal of 40. Of course he came over and we converted to .40 and loaded his case of 2500 last night - house gift. So, estimated 1500+ lbs of brass to be cleaned...
Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

You'll never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

In Doodie, Veritas.

"You might be a little thin-skinned for this forum". -Scott.

#86 GuanoLoco

GuanoLoco

Minister of Culture

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,595 posts
  • LocationMy Safe Space

Posted 24 May 2017 - 07:15 AM

How long does that usually take?
I'm figuring for a modest run of brass -500 to a 1000 say- the dry media takes about 4.5 hours and the mixer about 3.5 all in.

Why are you running a cement mixer for 500-1000 cases again? That should dry in a 1000 watt in about 6 minutes. ;)

I try not to mess with less than a 5 gallon bucket full - 8-9000 x 9mm cases.

In Doodie, Veritas.

#87 Trigger Warning

Trigger Warning

That's What She Said

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,194 posts
  • LocationRaleighwood

Posted 24 May 2017 - 07:34 AM

Well say just under a 1000ish.  38SC I usually keep about 3000 or so used brass loaded at any given moment.  

The cement mixer is still better than the dry media even at that smaller amount.  I had thought since I don't do a great deal of brass the mixer was dumb but it's still a net positive to me even at the smaller batch level.  

I put the brass I did last time in the 1000 watter for 1.5 hours and that had all but the bottom row completely dry and sparkling clean. I'm thinking 2 hours would do it.

#88 GuanoLoco

GuanoLoco

Minister of Culture

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,595 posts
  • LocationMy Safe Space

Posted 24 May 2017 - 08:59 AM

There are no awards for completing early and multiple ugly consequences for not completely drying. Imagine primers corroded into primer pockets producing impossible to deprime cases or ringers. Imagine my buddy who loaded 5 gals of 223 only to realize he was having issues. He then pulled some bullets and realized that there was enough residual moisture to induce powder clumping.

Worst of all, tarnish. You wouldn't want to be seen shooting ammo with tarnished cases, would you?

Overkill is good in this case.

The mixer model of work outside, fill/rinse from hose, and dump water in driveway is rather efficient compared to my past methods.

In Doodie, Veritas.

#89 GuanoLoco

GuanoLoco

Minister of Culture

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,595 posts
  • LocationMy Safe Space

Posted 10 June 2017 - 09:18 PM

Wouldn't the slick way to do this be to permanently attach a piece of metal grate across a 1/3 of the opening?  The bucket tilts both ways, so one way to drain and the other to dump.  

61Fs0zR8dTL._SX466_.jpg

https://www.amazon.c...ted metal sheet

OK Not Will, I executed on your plan.

I covered about 40% of the opening, seems about right. Maybe a hair more if I did it again. I found my rivet gun but couldn't find rivets so I improvised with some short sheet metal screws I had laying around. Tin snips made short work of the screen, a mallet shaped it and the sheet metals screws pulled it in tight.

The edge is sharp, and I learned Stainless Steel "paper" cuts are a bitch. I'll need to cover it with something, maybe a slotted plastic tube or just loop some paracord through it.

Definitely a winning modification, IMHO.

Mixer+Drain+Screen+1.JPG
Mixer+Drain+Screen+2.JPG
  • Trigger Warning likes this

In Doodie, Veritas.

#90 GuanoLoco

GuanoLoco

Minister of Culture

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,595 posts
  • LocationMy Safe Space

Posted 10 June 2017 - 09:26 PM

Mixer+Drain+Screen+3.JPG

Here's a stupidly short video of an over-full mixer. I was experimenting today with tilting the mixer closer to horizontal for a more violent action. Downside is that you can't have as much water or it slops out. Upside is faster cleaning. Not sure it matters as much as it takes me 75+ and more safely 90 mins mins to dry 5 gals of well-drained 9mm brass using 2 x 1000 wat dehydrators.

Ran 4 x 5 gallon loads today, one load twice, trying to get the hang of the new system. Many loads to go...

• Trigger Warning likes this

In Doodie, Veritas.

#91 Not Will

Not Will

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 10 June 2017 - 11:10 PM

Awesome!  Well done, man.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users