#1 Rich_Jenkins

Rich_Jenkins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationClearwater FL

Posted 11 February 2016 - 03:06 PM

Did my first ever USPSA match at my local range (Area 6, WAC, Tuesday). It was fun, I had a blast, and I earned no coupons to Dairy Queen.

Overall, I did not shoot either myself or my RO, but out of the U shooters in Production (my peers, as it were) I was 5th out of 7. So, I suck.

It was a four stage local match. I shot around 100 rounds of BB 115. The ROs and squad were great; just let me get on with it but kept me safe. I had no FTF or FTEs.

It's funny, I don't really remember any reloads, but they all went ok. They just kind of happened...like, automatically. My sights appeared where they needed to. I shot a plate rack of 8, and only left one. There was a set of 8 poppers (I think that is what they are called?) and I hit them all, just bang bang bang.

I now know what an "air gun conga line" is lol. I heard 'chicken wing'; not sure what that is.

I shot in four stages. I felt very deliberate, and in control of "all" the shots. However, in looking over the numbers, while I reached near the points available, I was much much slower. Now, granted, I need to take time over precise 15 yard shots, but let's face it, I don't need to weigh my options much when the A zone is 2 feet below my muzzle.

Being an Engineer, I took my numbers and graded myself on each stage with a metric I created, so I can keep track of "my" progress. What I did was take the stage numbers, and computed a "me" against the "best" in the stage 1) for time, 2) for points, and 3) for where "I" finished. I set up each metric so that they were normalized, with "best" being 100%. I used "best" as the highest score / lowest time / best finish (1st) in the match overall, so these are all against whoever was the "winner" in the stage (which generally was the GM shooter that was there.)

I feel good about doing this because I'm comparing myself against a GM shooter. I've decided that (GM) is the level of shooter I want to aspire to.

My numbers show, per stage:

1 - 38% of time, 90% of points, and finished 53%
2 - 36% of time, 90% of points, and finished 12%
3 - 51% of time, 90% of points, and finished 24%
4 - 48% of time, 78% of points, and finished 35%

Stage 1 was four targets out of one box, then 8 poppers. So 1 reload, little movement, stand and shoot kind of stage. I did best here. Even so, my time metric lagged behind.

Stage 2 was long, and required 3 reloads, and a lot of running round, with both close and far shots. This was by far my worst placement, and, again, my time lagged.

My overall takeaway, for next week, is that I'm going to up my game, as far as speed goes, focus on slicking up my mag changes, shoot quicker on the really close in targets, and not worry too much about exact shot placement for the longer ones. As in, get two Charlies or an Alpha Charlie in 0.5s instead of two Alphas in 2 seconds.

Definetely a lot of fun, and much more fun than the square range. I've squadded up already for next Tuesday.
“Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that’s right is to get by, and the only thing that’s wrong is to get caught.”
- J.C. Watts Jr.

#2 Rich_Jenkins

Rich_Jenkins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationClearwater FL

Posted 11 February 2016 - 03:11 PM

I just realized I used the same title as another member. I don't want to be a dick, so if a Mod or Admin can change the thread title to 'I want to suck less' I'd appreciate it.

Edit - Reported myself to the mods with this request.

Jeebus talk about stepping on your crank in your first thread. :(
“Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that’s right is to get by, and the only thing that’s wrong is to get caught.”
- J.C. Watts Jr.

#3 Surfer

Surfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 11 February 2016 - 03:12 PM

Lol was just gonna say

#4 Rich_Jenkins

Rich_Jenkins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationClearwater FL

Posted 11 February 2016 - 03:15 PM

Lol was just gonna say

Sorry :(
- J.C. Watts Jr.

#5 Surfer

Surfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 11 February 2016 - 03:20 PM

Sorry :(

no worries! :)

#6 Sprewell

Sprewell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,578 posts
  • LocationBanned

Posted 11 February 2016 - 03:35 PM

Edit - Reported myself to the mods with this request.

Good luck with that.  

• ToddKS likes this

#7 GuanoLoco

GuanoLoco

Minister of Culture

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,234 posts
  • LocationMy Safe Space

Posted 11 February 2016 - 03:40 PM

A couple of dick rolls might call some attention to the problem.
Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

You'll never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

In Doodie, Veritas.

"You might be a little thin-skinned for this forum". -Scott.

#8 sirveyr

sirveyr

Was the Rudy mole.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 11 February 2016 - 03:58 PM

I just realized I used the same title as another member. I don't want to be a dick, so if a Mod or Admin can change the thread title to 'I want to suck Les' I'd appreciate it.

Is he aware of this?  I'm pretty sure he is into chicks.  It might get weird for him.

• Surfer likes this

Chet Martinez

I was here before post #112

#9 Rich_Jenkins

Rich_Jenkins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationClearwater FL

Posted 11 February 2016 - 07:39 PM

Well I see the Mods have a sense of humor. Thanks (I think). :|
  • ZachJ likes this
- J.C. Watts Jr.

#10 GuanoLoco

GuanoLoco

Minister of Culture

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,234 posts
  • LocationMy Safe Space

Posted 11 February 2016 - 09:24 PM

Rule #1: Don't ask the mods to engage. It's like asking an evil genie to grant you a wish.
  • Fourtrax, ZachJ and Rich_Jenkins like this
Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

You'll never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

In Doodie, Veritas.

"You might be a little thin-skinned for this forum". -Scott.

#11 NickBlasta

NickBlasta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 500 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 12 February 2016 - 04:52 AM

I like this title better. :lol:

But serious, don't think about putting on the gas or whatever, don't think in terms of fast or slow. You're currently shooting as fast as you can see the sights, 90% of points is pretty okay!

As you practice, you'll find that shooting as fast as you can see the sights gets quicker, and so do you. If you consciously control your speed (and turn it up) you'll just end up more like 50% of points. Don't do that. Stay at 90% in matches and miss all you want in practice.

• RDS, GuanoLoco, peterthefish and 1 other like this

#12 waktasz

waktasz

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,086 posts

Posted 12 February 2016 - 08:35 AM

Get Ben's live fire book. Work through some drills with a timer. Figure out the biggest gaps/low hanging fruit and work on those, then move on to the next thing. You will be able to make huge gains in a short amount of time if you have a structure and you are tracking your progress.

• NickBlasta and Rich_Jenkins like this

#13 RDS

RDS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 12 February 2016 - 07:16 PM

I like this title better. :lol:

But serious, don't think about putting on the gas or whatever, don't think in terms of fast or slow. You're currently shooting as fast as you can see the sights, 90% of points is pretty okay!

As you practice, you'll find that shooting as fast as you can see the sights gets quicker, and so do you. If you consciously control your speed (and turn it up) you'll just end up more like 50% of points. Don't do that. Stay at 90% in matches and miss all you want in practice.

This.  When you start out everyone is faster than shit.  Because they have been there and have experience.  No one starts at the top.  Practice Practice Practice. Shoot Shoot Shoot.

Be Pro, practice mo' 

• NickBlasta likes this

It's not about winning, it's about emasculating your friends in front of their loved ones

#14 Mr_White

Mr_White

Junk Carry SME

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 18 February 2016 - 08:17 PM

Rich, this diary title is not a positive way of thinking and you should choose something else. It's kind of like a magnified version of calling what is factually your other strong hand your weak hand. Only worse. Bros don't let bros work negative NLPs into their muscle memory.
9254418645_6df4042018.jpg

"Conscience is our guide, peace is our shelter, beauty and perfection is our life."- Bruce Leroy

http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

#15 ZachJ

ZachJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,124 posts
  • LocationBC Canada

Posted 18 February 2016 - 08:38 PM

Rich, this diary title is not a positive way of thinking and you should choose something else. It's kind of like a magnified version of calling what is factually your other strong hand your weak hand. Only worse. Bros don't let bros work negative NLPs into their muscle memory.

Thank the mods

Deliberate, then obliterate.™

I am unafraid to miss.

#16 peterthefish

peterthefish

Banned.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,999 posts

Posted 18 February 2016 - 08:47 PM

Maybe he's internalizing his sucking.

#17 Mr_White

Mr_White

Junk Carry SME

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 18 February 2016 - 08:57 PM

Thank the mods

Dammit I was trying to get Rich to have to recount the whole episode again, wtf now we have one less lulz
  • Rich_Jenkins likes this

"Conscience is our guide, peace is our shelter, beauty and perfection is our life."- Bruce Leroy

#18 Peally

Peally

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,855 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 18 February 2016 - 10:10 PM

Hell with that, embrace the title. Given enough time it'll go from humorous to ironic.

Keep at it Rich. Everyone sucks to varying degrees. That's the whole reason for all that dry fire hooplah.

• Rich_Jenkins likes this

#19 Mr_White

Mr_White

Junk Carry SME

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 08:00 AM

I guess my sarcasm aimed at NLP and 'other strong' terminology didn't come through.

Rich I was alarmed at the uncharacteristically helpful welcome you got, that's all.

#20 Flexmoney

Flexmoney

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,764 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 11:05 AM

Rich, any relation to Leroy?

I don't want to be a dick, 

Are you sure you are in the right place?

• Brownie, Mr_White, Cheap Shot and 1 other like this

Unless otherwise noted, expect that all my posting here is in true Doodie fashion.  If my post somehow upsets your sensibilities, well...there ya go.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users