#22 Rich_Jenkins

Rich_Jenkins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationClearwater FL

Posted 20 February 2016 - 08:32 PM

Rich I was alarmed at the uncharacteristically helpful welcome you got, that's all.

Yeah, me too. :).

I just came for the shooting advice. I heard a lot of the best IDPA shooters are members here.

Rich, any relation to Leroy?

Sadly, no, and I don't like chicken, either. :). At age 57, my version of the internet running 300 baud on a current loop predated 'ole Leroy.
  • Flexmoney, Mr_White and Buck Turgidson like this
“Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that’s right is to get by, and the only thing that’s wrong is to get caught.”
- J.C. Watts Jr.

#23 Rich_Jenkins

Rich_Jenkins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationClearwater FL

Posted 20 February 2016 - 08:39 PM

Get Ben's live fire book. Work through some drills with a timer. Figure out the biggest gaps/low hanging fruit and work on those, then move on to the next thing. You will be able to make huge gains in a short amount of time if you have a structure and you are tracking your progress.

Got it last week. It was very helpful. As has been said, more dry fire, less analysis.

Mrs. and I are embarking on our summer RV trip in a few weeks, so won't be going much more to my local matches at WAC.

We'll be on the road for 4 or 5 months. We are enrolled at a conference in Memphis in March, then we head to explore Texas and the gulf coast. Then west to NM, AZ, CA, and up to OR and WA. Then back across maybe to MI and the UP before back to FL.

We have an Airstream trailer that we use, which I pull with the truck.

I'll try and look for the occasional USPSA match this summer while we are on the road. I won't be back regularly locally probably till August.
“Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that’s right is to get by, and the only thing that’s wrong is to get caught.”
- J.C. Watts Jr.

#24 waktasz

waktasz

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,089 posts

Posted 20 February 2016 - 09:53 PM

I take back what I said. Give up.

#25 Mr_White

Mr_White

Junk Carry SME

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 20 February 2016 - 10:46 PM

I heard a lot of the best IDPA shooters are members here.

Nice troll, you will fit right in. I just hope you like to swear.
  • Rich_Jenkins likes this
9254418645_6df4042018.jpg

"Conscience is our guide, peace is our shelter, beauty and perfection is our life."- Bruce Leroy

http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

#26 Flexmoney

Flexmoney

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,764 posts

Posted 21 February 2016 - 12:43 AM

What is the most you have paid for a calculator?

Unless otherwise noted, expect that all my posting here is in true Doodie fashion.  If my post somehow upsets your sensibilities, well...there ya go.  

#27 Rich_Jenkins

Rich_Jenkins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationClearwater FL

Posted 21 February 2016 - 06:37 AM

What is the most you have paid for a calculator?

Probably was my HP-41CV; I don't recall but it was a lot of money for a college student in 1980.

They told me I need something called a "cover garment" to shoot in competition. I'm shopping vests now, but am not finding many in XXXL size. Any suggestions?
- J.C. Watts Jr.

#28 Flexmoney

Flexmoney

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,764 posts

Posted 21 February 2016 - 08:21 AM

Probably was my HP-41CV; I don't recall but it was a lot of money for a college student in 1980.

They told me I need something called a "cover garment" to shoot in competition. I'm shopping vests now, but am not finding many in XXXL size. Any suggestions?

You can probably just borrow a 3XL from just about anybody at the IDPA match. Kinda like bowling shoes tho
  • eBAG likes this

Unless otherwise noted, expect that all my posting here is in true Doodie fashion.  If my post somehow upsets your sensibilities, well...there ya go.  

#29 GuanoLoco

GuanoLoco

Minister of Culture

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,245 posts
  • LocationMy Safe Space

Posted 21 February 2016 - 08:31 AM

At some point you have to give up and go the the poncho:

ShootStarsEast2.jpg
  • Trigger Warning likes this
Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

You'll never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

In Doodie, Veritas.

"You might be a little thin-skinned for this forum". -Scott.

#30 Rich_Jenkins

Rich_Jenkins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationClearwater FL

Posted 21 February 2016 - 10:55 AM

Much obliged. I can probably get most of my patches on a poncho.
- J.C. Watts Jr.

#31 Rich_Jenkins

Rich_Jenkins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationClearwater FL

Posted 08 May 2017 - 06:48 AM

Aaaannnddd...15 months later.

Shot my second local match, at Shooting Range Park with Rio Grande Practical Shooters in Albuquerque NM.

I suck, a lot. Did not finish dead last, at least. No DQ, and I left with same number of holes and body parts. VP9 ran fine, 0 malfunctions.

The match was three stages and a classifier. I missed some cardboard bad guys, there was lots of steel and this Texas Star thing, which I spot for the first time. (Geezus what a giant pain in the ass that thing was.).

So I took a long look at the results of my match yesterday, and also did some research on USPSA scoring.

If I read Practiscore correctly, I finished at 18%. So, in order to get to be 60% (B Class), several things have to happen. Now, this may be all pretty obvious to ya'll, but it was interesting to me to see how the actual scoring takes place, with a real match result behind me.

I need to eliminate unforced errors. If I have a Mike, that is -10 points. Two Mikes is -20, plus, another -10 for a FTE. -30 points sucks. It happened to me on Stage 1 where I miscounted the number of targets and shot 11 instead of 12.

(Parenthetical note: I think I will turn off my electronic ear pro during a Stage. There are too many people jawing during my runs, that I think I was thrown off. Plus, there was some ongoing drama during the match that I could have done without.)

I also need to get my 5 points, or at least 3, on every target. So, no Mikes, and making each shot count.

Same for steel, I need to make every effort to not leave any steel standing. That is 5 easy points for each one that I can't afford to leave up.

On shooting, I learned that trying to save 0.1s on the draw at my level is all but useless, for where I am at. I draw once per stage. My shooting a Mike or a FTE wipes out any gain I get with a super fast draw.

So, I don't think I really need to go nuts on the draw. Get the gun out smooth, sure. Fast, sure. But what I really need to do is to slow down and shoot faster. (which sounds weird, really.)

Really focus on the transition from target to target, see what I shoot, front sight, then press. I seem to, move around fast enough, or, as fast as the other “senior” shooters I saw yesterday. What my problem in time is in the misses. There were a lot of steel plates and poppers, as well as a Texas Star, in the match yesterday.

There were times (not often) where my transition from plate to plate was really good. I saw my sight, pressed, and the plates fell pop pop pop. But often I missed, and had to go back and re-shoot.

(I also think I hit (or heard) several poppers that did not fall. So it was probably me. But maybe 115 gr ammo is not the heaviest of ammo to shoot steel with.)

Also:

My equipment is not the problem. My VP9 ran like a top. 141 rounds, zero malfunctions. My BT holster and mag pouches may not be sexy, but they are not really hindering my score, right now. My belt, same.

So, the hardware stuff works, just need to work on the software.

Overall, though I really really enjoyed it. I felt like I was competent but needed to get my head wrapped around the mental challenge of needing to focus on solving the shooting problems quickly and accurately.

Or, simply, 'Shoot A's really fast' as I was told lol.

I'm going to rethink my dry practice and look for opportunities on live fire to try and incorporate more USPA-mini drills (transitions left to right, near to far, poppers, plates, etc.)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Mr_White likes this
- J.C. Watts Jr.

#32 GuanoLoco

GuanoLoco

Minister of Culture

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,245 posts
  • LocationMy Safe Space

Posted 08 May 2017 - 08:48 AM

https://www.amazon.c...r/dp/1533397716

Don't think about it, just buy it and read it.

This is the best return on Investment of $/time you will ever spend on USPSA.
  • Mr_White likes this

In Doodie, Veritas.

#33 waktasz

waktasz

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,089 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 09:04 AM

17 mikes over 4 stages. and one of the stages took you almost two minutes. Maybe golf would be better

Also, you're not reading practiscore correctly. Your 18% at this match has no bearing on where you are in terms of getting to B class at 60%. The only stage that matters was the classifier and you got a 0.  The good news is that that won't count at all.

#34 Rich_Jenkins

Rich_Jenkins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationClearwater FL

Posted 08 May 2017 - 12:21 PM

17 mikes over 4 stages. and one of the stages took you almost two minutes. Maybe golf would be better

Also, you're not reading practiscore correctly. Your 18% at this match has no bearing on where you are in terms of getting to B class at 60%. The only stage that matters was the classifier and you got a 0. The good news is that that won't count at all.

Sweet.
  • Mr_White likes this
- J.C. Watts Jr.

#35 Rich_Jenkins

Rich_Jenkins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationClearwater FL

Posted 08 May 2017 - 12:21 PM

https://www.amazon.c...r/dp/1533397716

Don't think about it, just buy it and read it.

This is the best return on Investment of $/time you will ever spend on USPSA.

Yeah, been meaning to get the update, thanks for the reminder.
  • Mr_White and GuanoLoco like this
- J.C. Watts Jr.

#36 GuanoLoco

GuanoLoco

Minister of Culture

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,245 posts
  • LocationMy Safe Space

Posted 08 May 2017 - 01:13 PM

Worth it.  Old book makes a nice hand-me down for a n00b.

In Doodie, Veritas.

#37 Will

Will

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,429 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 07:01 PM

Should also pick up dry fire reloaded.

I bet you $100 bucks you could make it to B class with dry fire without firing a shot outside of matches.
  • CheesyD likes this

#38 ralloway

ralloway

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • LocationGreensburg, PA

Posted 09 May 2017 - 06:23 AM

Good job leaving the range with the right number of holes! That in itself is a win! ;)

I need to eliminate unforced errors. If I have a Mike, that is -10 points. Two Mikes is -20, plus, another -10 for a FTE. -30 points sucks. It happened to me on Stage 1 where I miscounted the number of targets and shot 11 instead of 12.

Add in the potential 10 points for 2 alpha and you're looking at being down 40 points. Don't mike... make up deltas, too, if you see them while shooting.

(Parenthetical note: I think I will turn off my electronic ear pro during a Stage. There are too many people jawing during my runs, that I think I was thrown off. Plus, there was some ongoing drama during the match that I could have done without.)

Not a bad idea. You only need to hear the commands from the RO. If the other sounds distract you, get rid of them.

I also need to get my 5 points, or at least 3, on every target. So, no Mikes, and making each shot count.

There's your problem right there! There's usually up to 10 points on each paper target. :P

Same for steel, I need to make every effort to not leave any steel standing. That is 5 easy points for each one that I can't afford to leave up.

Don't disrespect the targets. For the most part, the 5 points on steel is the same difficulty as each 5 points on paper. The risk is a little higher (no charlies on steel), but the skills are the same.

On shooting, I learned that trying to save 0.1s on the draw at my level is all but useless, for where I am at. I draw once per stage. My shooting a Mike or a FTE wipes out any gain I get with a super fast draw.

At this point, work on a consistent draw where your grip is perfect each time. Saving a tenth or two which results in a bad grip which results in poor shot placement will cost you more every time.

Really focus on the transition from target to target, see what I shoot, front sight, then press.

Start training yourself to call your shots and transition with the eyes ahead of the sights now. It's probably easier now than later.

Good luck to you from an approaching A-class Limited scrub! B)

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

---------------------------------
He's just this guy... ya know?!
---------------------------------

#39 Rich_Jenkins

Rich_Jenkins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationClearwater FL

Posted 09 May 2017 - 07:53 AM

Thanks guys. Appreciate it.

Ordering HMFIC's new book today.

Making B as a talentless nearsighted timed-with-a calendar old fart may take a while, but I aim to have fun doing it. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • peterthefish likes this
- J.C. Watts Jr.

#40 Cheap Shot

Cheap Shot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 06:02 PM

The VP9 is holding you back.

You need an open gun, a tangfo, and at least one custom 1911.....

• Stranger Danger likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users