Rich_Jenkins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationClearwater FL

Posted 23 May 2017 - 08:16 PM

The VP9 is holding you back.

You need an open gun, a tangfo, and at least one custom 1911.....

Ya think? Damn.

I was thinking it was my lack of a graphically designed Jersey, or the fact I wasn't wearing Salomans.

I'll go check my "Race to D Class" thread on benos for some good advice on this.

Meanwhile, realizing I sucked at my classifier SHO as well as WHO, I tried a couple mags today at the square range with my EDC, a P30SK.

I tried some recoil management techniques I learned from Paul Sharp at Tac Con '16 in Memphis, but nothing really helped. Need to work on this more.

Also: started reading hmfic's revised book. It's pretty good. Easily worth the $10 for the Kindle version.
  • Cheap Shot likes this
“Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that’s right is to get by, and the only thing that’s wrong is to get caught.”
- J.C. Watts Jr.

#42 Buck Turgidson

Buck Turgidson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,194 posts
  • Locationthe command bunker

Posted 24 May 2017 - 03:39 AM

I'll go check my "Race to D Class" thread on benos for some good advice on this.

That'd be a waste of time.........

I need something to do while shooting, and thinking about titties is too distracting  - Stubb

#43 Rich_Jenkins

Rich_Jenkins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationClearwater FL

Posted 10 July 2017 - 12:35 PM

I was fortunate to snag a spot in the Columbia Cascade Championship match on Sat 22 July in Dundee OR.

Is there anything I should be doing differently to prepare for a Level II match?

As a U Production shooter, I'm just trying to be safe, avoid being 'that guy', and help reset and tape.

Posted Image

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
“Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that’s right is to get by, and the only thing that’s wrong is to get caught.”
- J.C. Watts Jr.

#44 Peally

Peally

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,855 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 10 July 2017 - 12:46 PM

Nah, aside from them maybe watching you a little closer for safety violations they're basically the same as properly run club matches.

#45 AMNS

AMNS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • LocationA4

Posted 10 July 2017 - 01:27 PM

Prepare for a long day. Bring a backup gun or relevant parts. Leave most of your gear in your trunk. Sit down when you aren't resetting or shooting. Make new friends.

#46 Trigger Warning

Trigger Warning

That's What She Said

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,503 posts
  • LocationRaleighwood

Posted 10 July 2017 - 02:08 PM

Don't take steel challenge ammo to chrono.  If you do, claim accident.  If they don't believe you, wear shorter shorts.  May not work for everyone.

• GuanoLoco likes this

On injured reserve.

#47 Rich_Jenkins

Rich_Jenkins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationClearwater FL

Posted 10 July 2017 - 04:44 PM

Don't take steel challenge ammo to chrono. If you do, claim accident. If they don't believe you, wear shorter shorts. May not work for everyone.

Yeah, I'm bummed I won't have any sponsor logos for my Serape. Should work good if I decide to shoot from concealment.

As to ammo, I'm using American Eagle 124gr AE9FP, 500 rounds.

I've not shot it, before so I am hoping to locate a local range in the Portland/Clackamas/Tualatin region to test it out.

I used some el cheap WalMart Federal 115gr wms199 couple weeks ago for a class with Tom Givens in Everett WA. I had 4 FTF out of my P30SK LEM I used for the class. A second press also failed to fire. I jacked the round and kept going.

The other thing I recall from my match in ABQ was some poppers which failed to drop, even though I thought I hit them. Granted I suck balls but still. I'm hoping the AE stuff has a bit more zip.

- J.C. Watts Jr.

#48 Trigger Warning

Trigger Warning

That's What She Said

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,503 posts
  • LocationRaleighwood

Posted 10 July 2017 - 04:56 PM

AE is good stuff.  I don't always buy factory 9mm, but when I do, it's American Eagle.*

*plus some other stuff.

• Rich_Jenkins and ralloway like this

On injured reserve.

#49 Rich_Jenkins

Rich_Jenkins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationClearwater FL

Posted 10 July 2017 - 04:58 PM

Nah, aside from them maybe watching you a little closer for safety violations they're basically the same as properly run club matches.

Thanks.

Prepare for a long day. Bring a backup gun or relevant parts. Leave most of your gear in your trunk. Sit down when you aren't resetting or shooting. Make new friends.

Good idea, I have a fold up camp chair I'll bring.
- J.C. Watts Jr.

#50 NickBlasta

NickBlasta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 500 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 10 July 2017 - 08:44 PM

They run the match a little more officially, you might want to brush up on your scoring rules in case you have to appeal a call. Try to contest calls you feel aren't right (watch the RO score and check the target on your own or appoint a delegate) and know how that works. Stay off a stage if your squad isn't shooting it yet. Ask questions if there's something you don't understand.

The bays have a fixed staff, so you don't have to run yourselves. It means there's more of you to tape, which means usually you have less to do.

A big difference is the number of people attending (a lot) and the number of stages vs a club match (more). It's gonna be a long day, and hot. So you have to manage yourself and keep yourself consistent. I try to drink a bottle of water per stage after my run. Eat little snacks, some nuts, handful of chips, but nothing heavy. Sit down as much as you can.

Gooldy and I and some others will be there too, hit us up if you recognize us.

• Rich_Jenkins likes this

#51 Rich_Jenkins

Rich_Jenkins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationClearwater FL

Posted 11 July 2017 - 11:08 AM

Gooldy and I and some others will be there too, hit us up if you recognize us.

Thanks. I'm on Squad 2. The only person I know is Mr. White.
- J.C. Watts Jr.

#52 MemphisMechanic

MemphisMechanic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 839 posts
  • LocationMemphis, TN

Posted 12 July 2017 - 02:57 PM

Bring tons of shit. Ammo. Gun parts. Or backup gun. Snacks. Etc.

And leave 90% of it in the car. Look at your local match sometime: the higher classes veterans either have a wagon or they pack light as hell. I carry only a water bottle, protein bar, mags, and 200 rounds of ammo with me, plus the vitals like eyes and ears.

Some of the C class guys need a burro to carry their junk, I swear.

147gr ammo at 150pf still won't drop a popper if you edge hit it. Make yourself see white surrounding the front sight before you break your shots, and magically they'll start falling more often. Funny how that works.
I won an IDPA match once. It was neat.

#53 Rich_Jenkins

Rich_Jenkins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationClearwater FL

Posted 23 July 2017 - 10:27 AM

So I looked over the match results briefly last night and have a few takeaways. I had a blast. The match was very well run. It was obvious the Match Directors and staff had done a huge amount of work. Kudos to the Columbia Cascade club. My Squad was great, most of them very experienced shooters. I hope I didn't get in the way too much. I was able to watch and see a lot in terms of good safe shooting. The VP9 shot fine, 245 rounds, 0 FTF. The Ghost mag pouch worked great. Much better than the crap BT dual pouches. Geez it was hot tho, I went through four 32 oz PowerAdes on the day. I was glad to see overall the number of my M s and No Shoots were down from my May Match in ABQ. I still suck, though, trailing bottom in P. I have no idea if my Classifier(s?) score in the system or not, Certainly I did MUCH better on the Movement Standards one; I don't think I missed, getting 15 Alphas and 3 Charlies IIRC. So One handed shooting is solid, just slow as F. Again, much of my score result is from being too careful on the shot; I need to get a sight picture and press. Shooters scoring way above me we're getting Alphas, sure, but were also getting A/C regularly and it was no big deal. It's a balance thing, I guess. I'm starting to understand Hit Factor, at least in rudimentary terms ("Don't shoot the White Cardboard, you idiot. And don't leave Steel Standing."). It occurred to me walking the dog this morning there *is* no practice for me for shooting on the move. In other words, my USPSA "training" has really only been the three matches I've shot. The Texas Star, Swingers, pop ups, one-handed Classifiers etc. are all things I've only ever shot for the first and only time, cold, at a match. So I've had to figure out how to shoot them, quickly, with no practice. I think it's causing my head to process too much information, and my performance is not yet subconscious on the easy stuff (well, easy for you guys). I need to go to more of those local Friday night 3 and 4 stage matches and put in the work. I also need to crack open HMFICs book and devote time to regular competition centered Dry Practice. And I need to get my head wrapped around a 'decent' sight picture. Front sight, press, transition. Fun match.
  • NickBlasta likes this
- J.C. Watts Jr.

#54 Rich_Jenkins

Rich_Jenkins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationClearwater FL

Posted 23 July 2017 - 10:31 AM

Double tap.
- J.C. Watts Jr.

#55 NickBlasta

NickBlasta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 500 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 24 July 2017 - 04:00 AM

Good job! Seems like everyone was dyin in the middle of the day, lol. Felt nice to have some heat.

Your idea is pretty on point. You aren't just building context for your shooting (learning shot calling / sight pictures / trigger presses for various targets) but also learning how to play the game. So you will build your game-context by shooting more and more matches. If you had tried to practice a star before the match you'd have no idea what it would look like on a stage- now you do, so when you see one on a stage you can plan it and visualize how you'll beat it in your walkthrough. Keep up the good work!

• Rich_Jenkins likes this

#56 Rich_Jenkins

Rich_Jenkins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationClearwater FL

Posted 24 July 2017 - 06:42 PM

Good job! Seems like everyone was dyin in the middle of the day, lol. Felt nice to have some heat.

Your idea is pretty on point. You aren't just building context for your shooting (learning shot calling / sight pictures / trigger presses for various targets) but also learning how to play the game. So you will build your game-context by shooting more and more matches. If you had tried to practice a star before the match you'd have no idea what it would look like on a stage- now you do, so when you see one on a stage you can plan it and visualize how you'll beat it in your walkthrough. Keep up the good work!

Thanks Nick.

I hope my RV travel schedule next year lines up to attend the 2018 match. I had a blast.

Thanks to Mr_White, match video below. Quite a lot to work on. No, it was not set to display in slow motion, and yes, I really am that slow.

- J.C. Watts Jr.

#57 NickBlasta

NickBlasta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 500 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 24 July 2017 - 07:53 PM

Your empty stare of confusion on Wings is me irl.

#58 busdriver

busdriver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 08:11 PM

It's actually somewhat amazing to me how well dry fire works.

#59 Rich_Jenkins

Rich_Jenkins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationClearwater FL

Posted 03 November 2017 - 12:35 PM

Just a quick update.

We are now back in Clearwater after spending 8 months touring the US and Canada in our Airstream travel trailer.

I’m in the process of trading in my VP9 for a Glock 19. The VP9 is great, just too big to carry.

I’ll keep the P30SK for EDC for now, but will start carrying the G19 as soon as I vet the new pistol.

- J.C. Watts Jr.

#60 GuanoLoco

GuanoLoco

Minister of Culture

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,241 posts
  • LocationMy Safe Space

Posted 03 November 2017 - 05:53 PM

Just a quick update.We are now back in Clearwater after spending 8 months touring the US and Canada in our Airstream travel trailer.I’m in the process of trading in my VP9 for a Glock 19. The VP9 is great, just too big to carry.I’ll keep the P30SK for EDC for now, but will start carrying the G19 as soon as I vet the new pistol. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This is Doodie, not P-F.
Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

You'll never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

In Doodie, Veritas.

"You might be a little thin-skinned for this forum". -Scott.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users