Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • LocationS.L.U.T

Posted 27 February 2016 - 09:22 PM

Long time lurker. 

Most recent entry in the diary.

Heeding the advice of every top level shooter I know of, my dad and I built a drill that I will be using before every major match I shoot from now on. I have dubbed it "Practically Impossible". 11 rounds in first mag, each other mag loaded to 10. 

The drill is compromised of a zebra hardcover target on the far left, next is a no shoot up to about half of the alpha zone, next is a plate rack, then the next to the right is an open target, then finally is a no shoot that is place so the shoulder of the no shoot covers about half the alpha zone.

Start at 45 yards, draw and engage all of the targets and two plates, move up to 30 yards while reloading, engage all of the paper and two plates, move up to 15 and engage all of the paper and the final two plates. The goal is to get the fewest amount of mikes.

Admittedly I didn't clean this drill once. The best I was able to do was 32 seconds and 3 mikes. BUTTT I did notice a HUGE improvement on my distance shooting, along with my ability to shoot at 15 yards. 15 yards almost became EASY to shoot all alphas at a very fast pace, when compared to the hellish distance of 45 yards.

I am ready for Area 2.

• ACP and Will like this

#2 GuanoLoco

GuanoLoco

Minister of Culture

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,241 posts
  • LocationMy Safe Space

Posted 27 February 2016 - 09:42 PM

Long time lurker. 
Most recent entry in the diary.Heeding the advice of every top level shooter I know of, my dad and I built a drill that I will be using before every major match I shoot from now on. I have dubbed it "Practically Impossible". 11 rounds in first mag, each other mag loaded to 10. The drill is compromised of a zebra hardcover target on the far left, next is a no shoot up to about half of the alpha zone, next is a plate rack, then the next to the right is an open target, then finally is a no shoot that is place so the shoulder of the no shoot covers about half the alpha zone.Start at 45 yards, draw and engage all of the targets and two plates, move up to 30 yards while reloading, engage all of the paper and two plates, move up to 15 and engage all of the paper and the final two plates. The goal is to get the fewest amount of alphas. Admittadly I didn't clean this drill once. The best I was able to do was 32 seconds and 3 mikes. BUTTT I did notice a HUGE improvement on my distance shooting, along with my ability to shoot at 15 yards. 15 yards almost became EASY to shoot all alphas at a very fast pace, when compared to the hellish distance of 45 yards.I am ready for Area 2.

Keep working at it. I forsee great success in achieving your goals.
  • Mistadobalina likes this
Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

You'll never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

In Doodie, Veritas.

"You might be a little thin-skinned for this forum". -Scott.

#3 1-4 Actual

1-4 Actual

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 27 February 2016 - 09:55 PM

You need the elder wand.

#4 WJM

WJM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • LocationS.L.U.T

Posted 27 February 2016 - 10:02 PM

You need the elder wand.

Thats what my Tanfoglio Stock 2 9mm is for. Ben Stoeger even says so. He must be correct. He must.

Keep working at it. I forsee great success in achieving your goals.

Edited to fix the post! Thank you, sir!

#5 WJM

WJM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • LocationS.L.U.T

Posted 27 February 2016 - 10:37 PM

Orchestra music, and shooting. I know most don't like music, and really, idgaf. I watch my video for myself, and I like the music so theres that! 

Had a flubbed reload and a mike on the 2nd classifier. Bad Deadpool!

Had two alphas and alpha charlie on the partial swinger. Good Deadpool!

• GuanoLoco likes this

#6 WJM

WJM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • LocationS.L.U.T

Posted 29 February 2016 - 08:30 PM

Got a head cold 3 days before Area 2. So naturally a few doses of NyQuil later and I am hoping I will be out like a horse for 24 hours. 

Pretty nervous, but just keep telling myself what would Steve Anderson say/do, and keep listening to his podcasts. Seems to help a lot.

Wyatt

#7 WJM

WJM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • LocationS.L.U.T

Posted 07 March 2016 - 10:29 PM

I'd like to say that it was because of the flu that I shot like such dogshit, but I know it was completely a mental issue.

I built the match up too much in my head. Basically the stages weren't any more difficult than our easiest local club. I built the match up to be super difficult, 50 yard partials and other stuff. It just simply wasn't the case. I went into the 3rd day with the mindset that it wasn't a big deal just another day of shooting, and I scored within a couple percent of Dave on 3 of the last 4 stages.

Another thing I found that was really interesting, none of the top guys actually look all that fast. Don't get me wrong, I get that they shoot fast and I am not calling them slow at all, but it really seemed like they never split faster than maybe 20? They just have 20 transitions to match all the splits. Big lesson for me.

Sat down and talked with a few of the top shooters of our sport and was able to ask them some of my questions for a couple hours. Took a lot of mental notes, and really learned a ton. 

Placed 11th in Production out of about 90 people. 3rd master so I got a cool award. Shot 9 mikes, and 2 no shoots. 2 of the mikes were on targets about 6 feet away, so fuck me right?

Another thing to note, I learned a TON about what to do and what I have been working on. My shooting on the move is really solid in a match. 20 splits at 7 yards, and pulled all alphas on every target I shot on the move. My running skills have improved a lot, and I am noticing less dead time. When I compared my footage to Brian Nelsons, Dave Sevignys, or Jacob Hetheringtons we all got to position in about the same time, my reloads for the most part were either on par or faster, draw was on par or faster, but I absolutely got SLAUGHTERED on steel. Just way too many makeups and it showed. 

So ultimately, what did I take away? My transitions will become much better. I have goals from talking to some top shooters, I want to get mid 20's on a consistent basis, and I want to be able to actually watch my sights at that speed. I can right now, but I didn't push it in the match for whatever dumbass reason of mine. I need to be able to see much faster, and have a lot more acuteness in my vision. I don't want to blame my gear, but I ordered some new glasses to see if they helped with it. I tried some Tombstones and damn they made it much easier to see. Can't hurt to be able to see easier.

Bad Deadpool.

Wyatt

• Stubb and GuanoLoco like this

#8 GuanoLoco

GuanoLoco

Minister of Culture

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,241 posts
  • LocationMy Safe Space

Posted 07 March 2016 - 11:09 PM

Nice work.

In Doodie, Veritas.

#9 WJM

WJM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • LocationS.L.U.T

Posted 08 March 2016 - 09:26 PM

Going to be modifying my training schedule a lotta bit.

Previously I had been doing about 45 minutes of dry fire, in the morning, and again at night.

My new plan will be modified to reduce dry fire to around 30-50 minutes a day total in the morning only. However, previously I was only doing 1 live fire a week sometimes, with a match. Now I will be doing live fire 2-3 times a week, with a match on Saturdays. The reason I say 2-3 is because I sometimes have matches twice a week (Thursdays and Saturdays) which would reduce it to twice a week.

I talked to some top dudes, and it just seems like I have been putting too much time into stupid shit, when I need to be working on my vision and sights lifting calling shots. I am wasting lots of time in transitions, and steel shots. Both of which I have found hard to fix in dry fire. I am sure there is a way, but no matter what I do its hard to do it in dry fire.

My dry fire now will primarily consist of shooting positions. Designing positions with lots of hardcover and no shoots, and work on entering them, leaving them from all directions, reload both directions things like this. At Area 2 stage plans were dictated a little bit due to me not wanting to go right to left, and not that I think I would've saved much if any time its more of a self image and confidence issue which I need to solve ASAP.

Wyatt

• GuanoLoco likes this

#10 WJM

WJM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • LocationS.L.U.T

Posted 08 March 2016 - 09:38 PM

New goal.

#11 WJM

WJM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • LocationS.L.U.T

Posted 27 March 2016 - 02:00 PM

Been a while since I have posted. Been shooting matches, and finally have all the video made, so I will now be doing an update on them.

TTI Zion Classic, was easily the most fun match I have been to. Lots of shooting on the move, swingers, movers, gully runs, lots of fun stuff that you don't see every day. I felt like I honestly shot very good. Had 1 mike, and 1 no shoot for the whole match. I felt like I was calling my shots well, I was just always off pace a little bit. By the time I really started to make a push for points, it was too late. Learned a lot about my level of skill, and where to push and how much if I need to. The only bad stage I felt I had was one I had to go first on a tricky swinger sequence. Involved a popper that activated a clamshell and a swinger. I shot it a certain way, and it ended up screwing me on timing, and the swinger was where I couldn't see it for about 2 seconds. I figured if I had this more down I could've been closer to 96% of the match winner, but I was still a little off from BNels.

Shot an indoor match for fun/practice. Was working on really motoring my transitions, as that has been a strength of mine and I missed the boat on that at Zion Classic I felt like. Ended up winning overall.

Wyatt

#12 WJM

WJM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • LocationS.L.U.T

Posted 27 March 2016 - 02:01 PM

Shot a local USPSA match. Had another timing issue on a drop turner thing. Still experimenting to see if I really want to attack certain disappearing targets. Transitions were pushed, and as a result dropped 13 (yes you read that right) 13 charlies on a stage. Granted the targets were angled, and I think that a good portion of them were caused by them being angled so I couldn't really get a full alpha presentation. However, I still dropped C's on close targets where I wasn't really looking in the correct spot. My fault, will fix this. Ended up winning production, and taking 4th overall. Beat a couple of really good open and limited GM's and M's so I am happy with my score. First match in a while where I just focused on having fun and just shooting again. Had a blast, and really learned a ton about my game. 

Found out I love going first. Can't stand going last in order. 

Wyatt

#13 WJM

WJM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • LocationS.L.U.T

Posted 27 March 2016 - 09:11 PM

Back to my dry fire routine. 

Did about a half hour of transition work tonight. Then worked for 15 minutes on barricades and footwork with them.

Really working on a speed aspect to transitions and motoring to the next target. Excited to see these results. If Area 1 is what I think it will be I am definitely working on the correct things that will give me the best shot (get it) at winning the match.

Wyatt

#14 Unclassified

Unclassified

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,394 posts

Posted 28 March 2016 - 11:26 AM

From WJM:

"Another thing I found that was really interesting, none of the top guys actually look all that fast. Don't get me wrong, I get that they shoot fast and I am not calling them slow at all, but it really seemed like they never split faster than maybe 20? They just have 20 transitions to match all the splits. Big lesson for me."

I noticed the exact same thing in Florida @ Nat's - the super squad moved fast, stayed low but it seemed they shot at a very controlled pace. Not saying it was slow, but it was definitely always controlled.
Dude, I thought you would be better...... MFCEO

#15 Moustache6

Moustache6

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 379 posts
  • LocationCONUS/OCONUS

Posted 28 March 2016 - 12:35 PM

Bad  FAT Deadpool.

FIFY

#16 WJM

WJM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • LocationS.L.U.T

Posted 28 March 2016 - 02:45 PM

From WJM:

"Another thing I found that was really interesting, none of the top guys actually look all that fast. Don't get me wrong, I get that they shoot fast and I am not calling them slow at all, but it really seemed like they never split faster than maybe 20? They just have 20 transitions to match all the splits. Big lesson for me."

I noticed the exact same thing in Florida @ Nat's - the super squad moved fast, stayed low but it seemed they shot at a very controlled pace. Not saying it was slow, but it was definitely always controlled.

Definitely an eye opening experience for me. Thanks for reading!

FIFY

Thanks for the observation! I'll investigate the problem causing this, I assume the issue is caused by Francis. The question should be why do you give a shit about my weight enough to comment about it?

#17 GuanoLoco

GuanoLoco

Minister of Culture

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,241 posts
  • LocationMy Safe Space

Posted 28 March 2016 - 02:50 PM

No reason.

CVKQTAoUkAAGbhs.jpg

In Doodie, Veritas.

#18 WJM

WJM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • LocationS.L.U.T

Posted 28 March 2016 - 02:52 PM

I do in fact have a great ass. Thanks for confirming though!

#19 GuanoLoco

GuanoLoco

Minister of Culture

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,241 posts
  • LocationMy Safe Space

Posted 28 March 2016 - 02:57 PM

Might want to ease up on the Chimichangas.

deadpool-chimi-600.jpg

In Doodie, Veritas.

#20 WJM

WJM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • LocationS.L.U.T

Posted 28 March 2016 - 03:00 PM

Lol!

World Class trollers here 😂

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users