Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • LocationS.L.U.T

Posted 27 March 2017 - 04:18 PM

How many targets?

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

4 targets. One zebra hardcover, one diagonal hardcover, one no shoot at the shoulder (no shoot shoulder halfway up alpha zone) and one no shoot head halfway up alpha zone.

Wyatt

#183 Sweet T

Sweet T

Glock Master Race

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,687 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 06:07 PM

Thanks man, I'm going to try it

#184 WJM

WJM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • LocationS.L.U.T

Posted 28 March 2017 - 04:22 PM

Final prep before Area 1. 

Zeroed my gun to be gnats ass accurate at 15 yards, and I liked where it was hitting at 25 and at 7. 

Shot 50 yard bill drills, focusing really hard on trigger control. Freestyle and SHO I was able to consistently shoot the A/ close C zone. Considering thats what I have been working on (consistency at distance) thats just the shooter that I have become.

I have trained my butt off, and I am in my groove. I will watch my sights at Area 1, and not go faster than they allow me to go.

I am ready for Area 1.

Wyatt

#185 Sweet T

Sweet T

Glock Master Race

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,687 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 05:50 PM

Good luck, knock em dead!

#186 WJM

WJM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • LocationS.L.U.T

Posted 07 April 2017 - 02:30 PM

Well, its been a few days and my anger at myself has dissipated enough to post about this.

I think the positives would be best to look at first.

First of all, I shot pretty damn good points. I felt like my pace (for the most part) was on par with everyone else, and my points were at or above most everyone else. So thats good. 

Second, I was able to keep my head in the game for the 3rd day. I didn't give up, I didn't shoot like a madman, I just knew what I could do and had a more aggressive mindset. As a result on the third day I had 3 top 5 finishes, and a top 20 finish on a stage. This was able to bump me from a projected barely top 20 finish, to a top 5 finish. I am very proud of this.

Third, I had a lot of fun. I shot with Krogh and my dad and a few others, and I learned a ton.

Now the bad things.

First, too many makeups on steel. I either shot them like a dipshit, or a grandmaster. I think shooting more Thursday Night Steel matches will constantly improve that so I am not SUPER worried, but I will be checking that more often.

Second, I am slow. I don't think its purely weight thing because I can move fast, but I think its more due to me not being aggressive in my movements. I am gonna stick to a more strict diet, and also work on aggressive movements such as grunting or going maximum speed more quickly. This will help cut stage times a lot.

Third, I had quite a few mikes (which even with 70 penalty points) placing this high is surprising. This was a tough match. however the stupid thing was all my mikes were on fairly simple targets so thats something I am going to look into.

Fourth, I need to improve my prone shooting. I need to find a way that is comfortable to me (prone, supine, sitting) and test it a few times so I am not uncomfortable with it. I get that prone isn't in every match, but at the level I am at and the level I want to be at I have to be prepared for anything.

Fifth, dry fire sucks. But I have to do it. There isn't any replacement for doing thousands of reloads. My reloads were either shit, or grandmaster. They need to pretty much all be grandmaster. 

I don't really wanna break down stage by stage on here because I don't think its gonna be super helpful. But my dad and I were discussing how to improve our training live fire and dry fire, and we both think we need to be working on some movement drill every week, some accuracy drill every week, and some hoser or closer target drill every week. I have an idea for how this will work, and its not really going into writing very well but I may be able to explain it later. Essentially we will be randomizing our practices so we may only shoot a drill 3 times and then switch targets around and the sequences in which we shoot them. I think this will help with shooting matches a ton>

Next match is Area 3, which is a blast fest and lots of running. Which, are not my particular strengths. However, I will make them my strengths before the match.

Wyatt

#187 redrider

redrider

lolcow

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 07 April 2017 - 04:10 PM

As someone who barely squeezed in at top 20 finish congrats!

#188 beerbaron

beerbaron

Shagga

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 857 posts

Posted 07 April 2017 - 07:22 PM

Top 5 is a fantastic achievement. Inspirational.

#189 redrider

redrider

lolcow

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 12:09 PM

20170410_092821_resized.jpgso i took your Mark Waki drill and changed it a bit. i have only 3 partials and one open target. a diagonal, a ns at the A printing level, an open and a tuxedo target. two on one side, two on the other. at 35 yards i shoot basically from the open at the barrel, then reload because Production. at the 25 yards i shoot from behind the barrel stack. reload. at the 15 yard line it's from the respective sides of the wall for each array.

my questions are, 1. are you getting any misses when you do this? 2. how hard are you pushing it? is this the type of drill you will shoot just to see what you can do and hits be damned? 3. what kind of hit factor are you getting?

with my wide transition set up and different shooting positions i'm not sure how to correlate times to you. my times ranged from 26-30. I was never able to shoot it without a miss or even three. my hf was around 2.4 for my better runs.

if you'd like to go more in depth to your drill and or comment on my variation i'd appreciate the time and knowledge.

#190 Stubb

Stubb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,695 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 11 April 2017 - 08:20 PM

Second, I am slow. I don't think its purely weight thing because I can move fast, but I think its more due to me not being aggressive in my movements. I am gonna stick to a more strict diet, and also work on aggressive movements such as grunting or going maximum speed more quickly. This will help cut stage times a lot.

You're standing way too upright. Watch Dave shoot:

You want to feel like you're squatting down to take shit the entire time you're shooting.

#191 SlivGod

SlivGod

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 659 posts
  • LocationThe Good Land

Posted 12 April 2017 - 05:34 PM

Just wanted to attest to how awesome the Mark Waki drill is. Tried it for the first time today, and will definitely be revisiting fairly regularly. 

"Forget the necessities, it's the luxuries I can't live without." 

#192 shmella

shmella

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 01:11 PM

You want to feel like you're squatting down to take shit the entire time you're shooting.

I like it. I'm gonna recite this to myself during my make ready routine.

#193 beerbaron

beerbaron

Shagga

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 857 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 06:46 AM

Here's a new drill I've invented.

Targets. All turtles. 5 targets, one no shoot.

Setup it just like el prez with 2 more targets.

Targets approx 1 target width apart. 5 in a line. Middle target has a no shoot obscuring about 3/4 of the target. Leaving about a 3-4inch strip of target at the top.

20 round drill

Start gun loaded, holstered facing up range, hands surrender.

Turn, draw, 2 each target, reload, 2 more each.

There's also a half prez style version. Facing down range, hands by sides, 2 rounds each. 10 rounds total.

It's nice to mix up the transition speed of prez with a 'speed bump' in the middle.

I found it to be a fun and challenging drill. From memory I had a best of 7.06 with 3-4 Charlie's after a few runs. On the half version 4.xx was the pace for an average joe like me. I was shooting my production rig which I haven't touched in a while and enjoyed this variation greatly.

I call it 'the prime minister' and 'deputy prime minister'.

Give it a shot if you like. :)

#194 WJM

WJM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • LocationS.L.U.T

Posted 15 May 2017 - 03:27 PM

Been quite a while.

I will be completely honest, Area 1 put me in a mental funk. I put a lot of time into the match and I don't feel like I performed to what I had previously competed at. Quite simply, I was burntout. In fact I still may be a little burntout. But its better now. 

I still love shooting, and I haven't forgot about this diary. I just needed a break from thinking about shooting 24/7. And as I do twice a year I take a mandatory break for Finals Week. This was good as I passed all my finals in a good fashion, and ended up with good grades.

After Area 1 I started a Thursday Night Steel match at my local club. I help run it and set it up 3 times a month, and it has helped my steel and speed skills a ton. I have learned to go faster than I thought possible which is a good thing. I can see this helping me a ton in the future.

Fast forward to today, and I have solidified news that my dad and I have Nationals Slots from our Section! I am beyond excited about this, and I do feel honored to be chosen for this. 

Tonight, my dad and I will figure out a plan for shooting. We need to be more structured in what we do and how we train. I already was extremely structured, but I want a more exact plan. I am talking about Diet (which I have been doing already), training days each week, matches every month (when and where) and how long we have before nationals, and finally dry fire.

I bahooed dry fire for a long time, and I still do. I don't think it is a good replacement for live fire, and I don't think its even 75% as good as dry fire. I know I will get flack for saying that, but its based off of what I have found skills wise. Live fire is what we do for sport, and thus live fire would be the best practice for our sport. But I can't disagree that gun handling skills can be tested in dry fire just as much as live fire. And for that reason I have to increase my dry fire routine. I have messed up quite a few reloads, and as such I wasted a ton of time at matches just due to lack of dry fire. 

So anyways to summary this whole "pre-plan":

-Continue on diet.

-Shoot my Thursday Night Steel Match 3 times a month.

-Shoot 1-2 USPSA matches a month.

-I'd like to Live Fire twice a week.

-Dry Fire 30-40 minutes a day.

-Grip exercises every day.

Wyatt

#195 ToddKS

ToddKS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,506 posts
  • LocationGetting killed in the streets

Posted 15 May 2017 - 06:54 PM

I am a grip guy. I would strongly recommend against daily grip exercises. That is the path to problems, especially with the dry fire increase you are talking about.

I would train grip heavy no more than once a week. I like Monday's because plenty of time to recover.

If you want a second grip work out get a really light gripper (like a Zenith agility or trainer) and focus on hold for times rather than reps.

I would not start any grip training until I had been on the increased dry fire for a while.

Just my thoughts, but I spent a year in pain and a lot of money getting rid of elbow tendinitis from a program that looked a lot like your plan.

#196 Sweet T

Sweet T

Glock Master Race

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,687 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 07:43 PM

Agree with the above. The hands recover quickly, but blasting them daily with both dry fire and grippers will lead to injury.

I stopped lifting because I found I simply can't do daily hardcore dry fire and hardcore daily weight training. You end up half assing both things, so I picked pistol.

#197 SlivGod

SlivGod

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 659 posts
  • LocationThe Good Land

Posted 15 May 2017 - 10:09 PM

To reiterate both above sentiments... the risk of grip training grossly outweighs the perceived benefits. I still lift four days a week, but I have cut out grip strengthening entirely. The only grip-related "work" I do is the Iron Mind bands to keep healthy tendons. 

"Forget the necessities, it's the luxuries I can't live without." 

#198 WJM

WJM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • LocationS.L.U.T

Posted 16 May 2017 - 12:01 PM

I suppose I should've specified how I do this.

Speaking accurately, I work out my grip 3 times a week. Usually on off days I am going for high reps on low low weights just to stretch out the muscles and keep them loose. (Bands to stretch out the muscles, or lightweight grippers going for time reps not max reps).

If I go every day the muscles don't build its just like weightlifting. But I appreciate the comments above. Just know that I am being careful. I'd rather not get tennis elbow and then be fucked for a few months.

Tonight the plan is to work on transition to steel from a close paper in dry fire. I plan on doing this dry fire in the garage because the basement is such poor lighting. Makes it extremely difficult to dry fire correctly and be honest about my sights if I can't see them. Also gonna work on reloads after a difficult shot (exploding out of position). I've found it to be very difficult to move fast and reload consistently. I am thinking of a new way to do them and I will test that to see if it works. Its not like my reloads are slow (I think they are up there with some top dudes) I just want slightly more consistency on my moving reloads.

Wyatt

#199 Sweet T

Sweet T

Glock Master Race

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,687 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 07:35 PM

'Also gonna work on reloads after a difficult shot (exploding out of position). I've found it to be very difficult to move fast and reload consistently. I am thinking of a new way to do them and I will test that to see if it works. Its not like my reloads are slow (I think they are up there with some top dudes) I just want slightly more consistency on my moving reloads.

Wyatt

Page 110 of dryfire reloaded. Skip rope with reloads. It's insane but perfect for the scenario you're working on.

I'm doing it tonight and it's smoking me

#200 WJM

WJM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • LocationS.L.U.T

Posted 05 September 2017 - 11:42 AM

I've taken quite a long break from hardcore training, and it has been extremely helpful for me.

I essentially haven't practiced (with a purpose) since mid May. Jobs and traveling kinda fucked with my goals.

I shot around 8 matches a month in that break however, and the result was a stronger match mode than I have ever had. I found that I was able to shoot our state match (14 stages) all in one day with staff, while having food poisoning and travelers flu and still do good at the match. Granted I shot more Mikes than I have at any match, but I will blame that at not shooting a gun for a month leading up to the match. (Thailand and Canada Vacations).

I think the Mikes were due to not shooting a gun and losing my trigger control abilities along with shot calling deteriorating. I am honestly not too worried about this as I have a month before nationals.

Anyways, yesterday I started back up training for Nationals. 25 yard bill drills came back to me pretty easily, and I put around 300 rounds into them. Mainly working on feeling the trigger with a purpose, and working on trigger pull improvement. I noticed this was my skill along with shot calling that was lost the quickest with my time off. 

One thing I do have to say is my speed due to all steel matches has DRASTICALLY improved. I am quicker position to position (boxes in Tuesday Night Steel), faster on the trigger (shooting rectangles), and my gun seems to track softer than ever I think due to the amount of shooting it under pressure and at matches. I definitely am a believer in more matches if you can handle it.

I plan on live firing about 3 times a week before Nationals, along with matches. I figure if I can do that its about a thousand rounds a week and about 5 thousand before Nationals. Not that the number matters but it gives me an idea of how many times I have practiced.

As well as this I have some stuff ordered for my Tanfo (Bolo interuptor, and EG trigger). My trigger is pretty much stock besides lighter springs and the way I pull the trigger I think that some small mods would help me.

Wyatt

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users