WJM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • LocationS.L.U.T

Posted 06 September 2017 - 11:17 AM

Shot my TNS Steel Match last night. 

Shot pretty alright. There was some issues with 2 reloads, but considering we had about 20 reloads for production I am not too worried about that. More dry fire is needed for that for sure.

My trigger parts shipped, so they should be here tomorrow or the next. Hoping to get them installed before Saturday where I am hoping to shoot around 500 rounds, and then Sunday I (may) go to a steel challenge match. Good practice for draws and transitions.

Sounds like nationals is gonna be a very technical match so my plan is to basically get my trigger control back up to the best level I can get it, and then work on partials and 50 yard opens again. 

Wyatt

#202 MemphisMechanic

MemphisMechanic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  • LocationMemphis, TN

Posted 06 September 2017 - 02:51 PM

Bolo and the straighter trigger?

Which hammer are you running?

The Titan would be a better place to put money than a different trigger IMO. Out of 6 guys I know who tried the EGD trigger, 5 took it out. I too prefer the factory one, even though the straighter trigger *looks* more ergonomic.

The Titan hammer has insanely short hooks, which is why the gun has such a crisp SA trigger... but it also pretty much always requires an extended firing pin block.

A Titan / Bolo gun is as close to a custom 2011 trigger as you'll ever get in a DA gun with a hinged trigger. You will definitely enjoy the total lack of pretravel you will find with the Bolo carefully fitted & installed.

Glad to see you're back. Random sidenote: I discovered my Tanfo didn't actually make me an instant GM and sold it. Back to shooting polymer.
I won an IDPA match once. It was neat.

#203 WJM

WJM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • LocationS.L.U.T

Posted 06 September 2017 - 04:01 PM

Bolo and the straighter trigger?

Which hammer are you running?

The Titan would be a better place to put money than a different trigger IMO. Out of 6 guys I know who tried the EGD trigger, 5 took it out. I too prefer the factory one, even though the straighter trigger *looks* more ergonomic.

The Titan hammer has insanely short hooks, which is why the gun has such a crisp SA trigger... but it also pretty much always requires an extended firing pin block.

A Titan / Bolo gun is as close to a custom 2011 trigger as you'll ever get in a DA gun with a hinged trigger. You will definitely enjoy the total lack of pretravel you will find with the Bolo carefully fitted & installed.

Glad to see you're back. Random sidenote: I discovered my Tanfo didn't actually make me an instant GM and sold it. Back to shooting polymer.

I have the Titan Hammer. I don't like the feel of the stock trigger at all, and having shot the straight trigger I prefer it. (My dad has one in his gun and I just prefer it).

I have an extended FPB. Basically I believe I just have to drop in the BOLO and replace the trigger and I am set. But I will make sure to check with you if I fuck anything up.

What plastic fantastic fag gun did you buy? 320? Walther?

Wyatt

#204 MemphisMechanic

MemphisMechanic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  • LocationMemphis, TN

Posted 07 September 2017 - 07:17 AM

I have the Titan Hammer. I don't like the feel of the stock trigger at all, and having shot the straight trigger I prefer it. (My dad has one in his gun and I just prefer it).

I have an extended FPB. Basically I believe I just have to drop in the BOLO and replace the trigger and I am set. But I will make sure to check with you if I fuck anything up.

What plastic fantastic fag gun did you buy? 320? Walther?

Wyatt

With a Titan and one-piece sear, the Bolo should either drop in or require only slight fitting

I'm shooting the Hwansik Kim wannabe weapon: Walther Q5 Match
I won an IDPA match once. It was neat.

#205 WJM

WJM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • LocationS.L.U.T

Posted 10 September 2017 - 07:53 PM

Practice the last couple days.

Saturday worked on 50 yard bill drills and then 25 yarders after that. 

Maybe 300 rounds total? I wasn't really counting. Saw an improvement in my trigger control. Still probably shooting a touch fast at 50 (had a couple mikes) but I am not too worried I saw them and I was tracking the sights pretty well. 

Moved up to 25 yards and was kicking ass. Pretty regularly was doing .25 splits at 25 yards with mostly alphas and close charlies. So that was exciting.

Today opened up with 50 yard bills again, then moved to some targets around a barrel to work on leans. The targets ended up being a 20 yard partial, and then 28 yard open targets. Found a way to improve my shots by keeping my lower body bent but upper body level so my sights weren't at an angle. This was a big help to my shooting. 

Then moved closer (10 yards) to see what my splits and transitions were. Pretty happy with around .20 splits and .25 transitions or so. The speed is there from my steel matches, and trigger control is improving my accuracy.

Wyatt

#206 WJM

WJM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • LocationS.L.U.T

Posted 11 September 2017 - 11:07 AM

Looking ahead to stuff before Nationals.

Practice today, and Thursday and Friday. Match Saturday, hopefully my hands are ok for a practice Sunday.

Then practice Thursday and Friday (exam that week so practice before the exam will be minimal). Travel to match that Saturday, then practice Sunday.

Final sight in and practice will be the 26th. Most likely just group shooting and slow fire. Maybe 50 rounds of blazing just to have fun and get excited. 

Travel down Thursday night after class, look at stages before dark. Shoot Friday PM so stage plan in the morning, then time to do what I have been training for.

If my math estimations are correct thats around 10 matches or practice, and at 300 or so rounds on average thats about 3k rounds left before Nationals. With the 2k I have shot or so in the last week and half I am feeling confident I can hit that 5k mark I set for myself.

Wyatt

#207 WJM

WJM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • LocationS.L.U.T

Posted 11 September 2017 - 08:33 PM

Live fire practice today went well.

Opened up the practice with 60 rounds of 50 yard bill drills. Those went well, but I found when I was constantly focused on being soft on the trigger I had MUCH better results. Something to remember when I get to a hard stage at Nationals, to just focus on being soft with the trigger.

Went to leans, and I definitely overbuild tests of skill. This was fucking difficult to shoot with the new method I had been practicing. I wanted to try and keep my upper body somewhat level so that the gun wasn't canted at all, but for these targets it just wasn't possible. I don't think I should've made this test this difficult but whatever it happened. So anyways, shot that and got mixed results. When I started to focus more I got better hits, but still struggled with an 18 yard target with a tough no shoot on it from a lean that required either you to be falling or have the gun resting against the wall. Neither option was great but its ok I learned a lot. 

Definitely am seeing improvements with tracking my sights. Starting to be able to call shots with a much higher skill. Still not able to see them within a couple inches of where they lifted, but definitely within 4-5 inches I would say? I think thats a definite improvement.

Ended with group shooting at 50 yards and was able to pull a nice 5" group with my Tanfo. I love shooting this gun, fucker is so accurate. Once you develop a load that it likes and tune it right they are the best gun out there IMO.

Wyatt

#208 WJM

WJM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • LocationS.L.U.T

Posted 13 September 2017 - 09:11 PM

Today went and live fired!

Started with about 50 rounds of 50 yard group shooting/ bill drills. Love warming up with this. It really sets the tone for the day and I am enjoying that 50 yard distance more and more.

After looking at the stages for Nationals it looks like I won't be shooting another open target until after Nats. Basically everything will either be 25 yards plus, or have a no shoot tacked onto it.

Anyways, we set up a version of the standards stage in practice today. Was a really good session. I put about 100-150 rounds into the drill, and that was constructive. After I felt like I had a good idea of what I was doing I started mixing it up and doing more random training. Really effective and made some good gains.

Ended with 50 yard group shooting, still doing about 5 inches at 50 yards so I am happy.

Gonna work on some prone shooting to end the week out, along with more position entry and leans on no shoots. It appears that there aren't a ton of difficult leans at the match, but I still want to be comfortable for the worst that I could expect. Luckily the stuff I have been working on appears to be much tougher than I would expect to see at Nats and that makes me happy. 

Trigger control has never felt better, and I have found that my mental game is at its highest point. I know when to mess around and when to be razor sharp focus. I am learning the words that help me perform at a higher level and ways to enhance my performance. (cocaine)

Wyatt

• Sweet T likes this

#209 WJM

WJM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • LocationS.L.U.T

Posted 14 September 2017 - 10:47 PM

Set up a stage from Nationals tonight and worked on it a few times. Didn't have much time to shoot after setting it up but ran it a few times none the less. 

Figured out my plan on how I am going to shoot Nats if it is anything like what we set up. So thats good! Also got confidence in lower light situations which are possible to see at Nats if they get backed up at all.

Overall a good small practice which I am happy about. Tomorrows planned practice is out as it is going to rain and I don't practice in the rain.

Wyatt

#210 WJM

WJM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • LocationS.L.U.T

Posted 19 September 2017 - 09:46 AM

Practice yesterday was great!

Had a rough match this weekend, so I needed to build my confidence back up. Worked on partials from two positions often involving a reload, or different angles, different targets from different positions. It was a very good practice and I am liking this random practicing a lot more than what I have done in the past.

I also learned I was t being super honest in watching my sights at this weekends match. Takes just a touch longer and you get nearly all alphas. I'm going to shoot like that until Nats because that's what I need to drill into my brain.

Overall I am feeling really good about Nats. The speed is there on targets I can speed up on, and the accuracy is coming on difficult targets.

Wyatt

#211 WJM

WJM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • LocationS.L.U.T

Posted 21 September 2017 - 06:53 AM

Practice yesterday was one of the better ones I have had. It built my confidence up, which I think is invaluable to my shooting performance.

Shot difficult partials from around all angles of a barrel. So we got a ton of leans, some movement, position entry, and reloads. 

We also did some classifier type stuff, along with some standards afterwards.

Gonna do the Waki Drill Sunday-Monday. Saturday is gonna be another similar day to yesterday of mixing it up on a small stage.

Tuesday is final sight in of gun, and final equipment/chrono check.

Feeling great about Nationals.

Wyatt

#212 WJM

WJM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • LocationS.L.U.T

Posted 23 September 2017 - 11:01 PM

Todays practice was awesome! Worked on low ports and distance change ups. Nats appears to be lots of changing up from easy to hard targets so I wanted to get some more work on that and figure out how to better attack those stages. 

Set up a micro stage with a couple pieces of steel. Ended up having 7 makeup shots on steel for the whole day, which for me is phenomenal! 

I am feeling really good about Nationals, and 2 more practice sessions before I am on my way to shoot!

Wyatt

#213 WJM

WJM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • LocationS.L.U.T

Posted 02 October 2017 - 10:39 AM

Nationals is done!

Personal backstory, at the beginning of the training year I wrote in my diary I wanted to place 7th at Nationals. 

After taking a 4 month break I modified that to make the top 16, because I just wasn't able to devote enough time to make the first goal realistic.

I shot the match pretty well in my opinion. I have definitely improved on steel, and the stages that were steel heavy I was able to place very high on. 

I had one semi major mental error, and I honestly don't know why it happened. I know that my make ready was interrupted from what it normally is, and they could've affected it but beyond that its unknown.

I didn't video any of my stages (I don't anymore), but I know what I need to work on. Low ports were a big fucking deal in this match, and that will become more of a thing for me in the future.

Wyatt

• NickBlasta likes this

#214 Sweet T

Sweet T

Glock Master Race

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,662 posts

Posted 02 October 2017 - 10:51 AM

Great work.  

That's an impressive accomplishment and you should be proud!

#215 WJM

WJM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • LocationS.L.U.T

Posted 03 October 2017 - 08:02 PM

I've thought a lot about Nationals.

Going into the third day it looked like I was going to finish right around 10-15. I knew this and decided to just shoot my game and keep doing the same thing. 

On the second stage I fucked up and shot a no shoot, along with a standing reload (Which kinda had to be one anyways), but I toned it down to shoot more conservative especially around the standard stages. This wasn't a terrible idea since I actually didn't crash and burn on either of them, but I didn't shoot them at the skill level I know I could have. 

I hate saying the word fast, but I need to shoot more aggressive. Aggressive in movements and transitions. 

TLDR: I shot like a little bitch the last day and I needed to be a Deathstalker throughout the whole match, not most of the match.

Wyatt

#216 WJM

WJM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • LocationS.L.U.T

Posted 15 October 2017 - 07:33 PM

Went shooting today with a good friend. Wanted to help them with transitions and position entry. 

Went good I think. They seemed to respond well to what I was trying to explain. I didn't shoot much (didn't really expect to) but I got in a few distance change up reps with the Tanfo. Unfortunately my barrel is at the gunsmith, so I had to use a backup barrel in my Tanfo and the mother fucker jammed every other round.

Hoping that my barrel comes back before Idaho state, and I am also hoping that the gun actually functions properly before Idaho State. Otherwise I will be shooting Glock for that match. :/

Wyatt

#217 WJM

WJM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • LocationS.L.U.T

Posted 23 October 2017 - 11:20 AM

Last match of the year done for me. 

Lessons learned:

-Shoot better.

Wyatt

• Matt1 and ralloway like this

#218 WJM

WJM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • LocationS.L.U.T

Posted 24 October 2017 - 02:41 PM

The offseason has officially begun, so I figured I would do a write up for how my year went. 

My goal at the start of the year was 7th at Nationals. I modified this goal once I took a 4 month break for personal reasons, to make top 16. 

Goal: Achieved.

At the beginning of the year I recorded everything. Amount of rounds spent, hit factors on each iteration of every drill, very meticulous. I actually didn't learn a ton from this. I spent a lot more time recording everything rather than focusing on the shooting. So while I am sure this could be productive for some people, it wasn't for me. 

Shot Area 1, had a train wreck. I don't know what happened, but I just couldn't piece it together at that match. The first two days were absolute dog shit, and the last day I decided to just watch my sights and magic happened and I ended up placing well.

Next, before I took my break, I was shooting primarily matches. I ran a Thursday Night Steel match, along with matches or practices on the weekend, and that was shooting around 2-4 matches a week. I actually found this to be very beneficial for my match mode, and think its a viable option for training. Unfortunately I wasn't practicing on my own things enough, so this wasn't super effective for me at the time.

Next, I took a break. Visited the world, didn't really shoot for a few months.

Came back, had 2 days before Utah State. Ended up contracting Food Poisoning in Thailand, so I shot Utah State in a day with food poisoning. My personal opinion on my performance was that it sucked, but I ended up finishing well.

About this time I had a minor incident on my motorcycle, and jacked up my wrist pretty bad. Started with sharp pain near the bone, but I decided to just push through it for the last month.

Spent about a month of solid training with a new regime. I mixed up my drills so I would shoot a new drill every time, and focus more on execution than specific hit factors or times. Ended up being the program I enjoy the most, the best results gained, and the one I will be doing from now on.

Shot Nationals, and achieved my goal. 

Hung up the gun after, shot a local, but otherwise didn't think about shooting for the next few weeks. Bothered to sight my gun in again before Idaho State, and shot that match with the flu. (I can't seem to catch a break with shooting matches while not sick). I didn't have the best match, and it showed. 

Overall this was a fantastic year. Next year, the goals are set, and the plan is in action. I have no class Monday, Wednesday, or Friday. Which means I get three days of training in every week. While I didn't do any dry fire this year, I think that 5-10 minutes a day keeping familiar with my gun would prove to be beneficial. I can never dry fire like I used to (minimum 45 minutes daily) or like other people do (couple hours a day), but thats them and its not me. I don't learn much by doing dry fire, and it is just too repetitive for me. Plus I am at a point in my life where live fire a few times a week is a very viable option, so I am going to stick with that.

The next step in this path is a MUCH needed offseason. I am REALLY hoping I don't need surgery on my wrist, but if thats what it needs, I guess I will get fucking amazing at weak hand only.

Heres to next year.

Wyatt

• SlivGod and Stubb like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users