#21 WJM

WJM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • LocationS.L.U.T

Posted 29 March 2016 - 05:33 PM

Working with the timer on fast transitions. Mainly focusing on doing Bens "Widening Transitions" drill further and further apart, then when I find my max doing 10 reps at that same distance apart at the 1.6 pace to build the consistency of it.

Seems to be helping that and a combined focus on gripping the hell out of the gun.

Wyatt

• Will likes this

#22 WJM

WJM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • LocationS.L.U.T

Posted 03 April 2016 - 09:21 PM

Faster transitions are a go. Bad thing is the makeups I needed. We had a couple stages that were extremely hardcover/barrel heavy, so I don't feel terrible doing a make up when I though the sights looked odd, and it turns out I called them good 4/5 correctly. The one I didn't call correctly was a far delta I made up with a close to alpha c hit. This shit never ends.

Ended up with a Production win, but I still need to get my transitions faster. I still think there is a second or so a stage I could be saving, if not 2 seconds or so. I need to see faster. My mental game is mostly there, my reloads are pretty consistent, and my long range shooting is good.

Tanfoglio seems to be running like a champ. Haven't had a malfunction or anything to speak of in over 5k rounds, so I am a happy boy.

Wyatt

• GuanoLoco likes this

#23 WJM

WJM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • LocationS.L.U.T

Posted 03 April 2016 - 10:22 PM

Just did the math on my classification. If it gets sent in correctly with no fuck ups, I will be at 93.5 percent. Just have to get a 95 or better classifier for the next one and its a bump to GM for me. 

No pressure right?

#24 WJM

WJM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • LocationS.L.U.T

Posted 05 April 2016 - 09:34 PM

Did 200 rounds of live fire today. Worked primarily on transitions and SHO. 

Good news is, my transitions are much better. Cold, alpha to alpha, consistently between .25-.33. I feel like this is where I want it for a 7-10 yard target. I can push it into that .20-.25 zone, and did it every time I wanted to today, however I am not capable at this level to shoot a .20-.25 transitions consistently, in a match, cold.

So, I would rather practice in a zone where I am able to track my sight in the alpha zone. I asked a top shooter about this when I got home, and it sounds like I am in the right place. I still think I can get a little faster, and I really have a goal to make .30 transitions in a match always. In other words, I don't want to have to think about my transitions to make them go that fast. I want my new normal to be a .30, when the normal right now is maybe a .40 or so. Thats still huge gains for me. Im gonna work on this the next week or so until I can live fire again. Basically gonna push the targets out and add partials and see if I can keep the transitions about the same.

Good development was my grip. Its not that I have been cheating myself in dry fire, but I haven't been doing what I want to be doing now. In practice today I noticed as much as a 5% increase in performance by repeating to myself to have a stronger grip with my weak hand. Shrunk my groups down to sub 4" at 8 yards, with a .18 split. I am VERY happy with this development, and that will become my new mantra before a stage. 

Just got done dry firing after my live fire (about 30 minutes or so). Just worked on transitions between open targets, then worked on partials, and then moving reloads. All were consistent and good. Only flubbed 3-5 reloads that I can remember, out of maybe 40 or so? Definitely where I want them as far as consistency goes.

To quote Ben "This shit never ends!"

Wyatt

• Stubb and BenB like this

#25 WJM

WJM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • LocationS.L.U.T

Posted 07 April 2016 - 09:20 AM

Gonna do some chrono testing and some live fire tonight after work. Hopefully I can get a few hours in, but never know how that's going to work.

Gonna work on partials at 15, and focus on transitions for them. Also going to bring some 5x5 KO's to practice transitions between.

Wyatt

#26 WJM

WJM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • LocationS.L.U.T

Posted 12 April 2016 - 12:15 PM

Went to the Berry's steel open.

Had an odd experience but a good learning experience.

First off, I knew it was an all steel match, so I made some lighter than normal ammo. Figured it wouldn't be a big deal, no problems. Never sighted my gun in. Turns out the gun was hitting about 3 inches to the right consistently the whole first day. Which isn't too terrible if its on paper and at 7 yards, but most of the steel was 2-4 inch knock downs so basically I got straight fucked.

So, lesson one, ALWAYS sight in your gun at every practice session. From now on I will spend 10-15 minutes before I start doing drills or partial stages sighting my gun in at 25 yards. As well as I think this will help with group shooting, something I am not the best at.

Second, I can see how little experience I have with rain. It was a torrential downpour, and unfortunately I was the only one on my squad who got rain fucked. I don't really care, but it made me realize how little experience with rain I have. Yes I brought a coat, and an umbrella, but god damn the gun is slippery in the rain.

I had one light strike. First malfunction of any kind in 10k rounds. Not really a big deal, I think it was just a bad primer. Either way I figured to not risk it and replaced all the springs in my gun, and let all the gun parts soak in diesel fuel overnight. I needed to do this before Area 1 anyways, so it made sense to work on it now.

The match was honestly the toughest thing I have had to do with a gun. I will never shoot Production there again, just because its so tough to have to be so congnisent of your rounds and basically your whole life revolves around reloads and going 1 for 1. Which, is essentially bullseye mode for me. And I don't train in that.

I went in with the expectation to win or place very well. And that was silly of me as someone who doesn't train with steel all that much, and doesn't do steel challenge, there was a good bit of stuff I just don't train for. IN other words, my expectations were too high for the amount of practice I had put into the match.

I tried out some 147 gr bullets, and I really like them. Even at 150 pf they were really light and easy to control, so I think I will move to them almost exclusively.

Now that its warmer, I will be doing several live fire sessions each week, with a match on the weekends. Luckily I have relatively easy access to the desert, and I work a job with flexible hours and that allows me to train a lot.

Designing a training schedule today, and now that my gun is de rusted and working again, gonna get back to dry fire and live fire.

For this week I am hoping to go shooting tomorrow, and work on transitions at 15 yards to partials, and an occasional steel mixed in, Thursday I have a match, Friday I probably won't be able to live fire because of my class schedule, Saturday I have a match, and Sunday is another live fire. Gonna work on some more blake drills and try and bring my 15 yard partial transition times to the times that I am doing blake drills at 10 yards.

Wyatt
  • ZachJ likes this

#27 ZachJ

ZachJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,124 posts
  • LocationBC Canada

Posted 12 April 2016 - 01:08 PM

Went to the Berry's steel open.

Had an odd experience but a good learning experience.

First off, I knew it was an all steel match, so I made some lighter than normal ammo. Figured it wouldn't be a big deal, no problems. Never sighted my gun in. Turns out the gun was hitting about 3 inches to the right consistently the whole first day. Which isn't too terrible if its on paper and at 7 yards, but most of the steel was 2-4 inch knock downs so basically I got straight fucked.

So, lesson one, ALWAYS sight in your gun at every practice session. From now on I will spend 10-15 minutes before I start doing drills or partial stages sighting my gun in at 25 yards. As well as I think this will help with group shooting, something I am not the best at.

Second, I can see how little experience I have with rain. It was a torrential downpour, and unfortunately I was the only one on my squad who got rain fucked. I don't really care, but it made me realize how little experience with rain I have. Yes I brought a coat, and an umbrella, but god damn the gun is slippery in the rain.

I had one light strike. First malfunction of any kind in 10k rounds. Not really a big deal, I think it was just a bad primer. Either way I figured to not risk it and replaced all the springs in my gun, and let all the gun parts soak in diesel fuel overnight. I needed to do this before Area 1 anyways, so it made sense to work on it now.

The match was honestly the toughest thing I have had to do with a gun. I will never shoot Production there again, just because its so tough to have to be so congnisent of your rounds and basically your whole life revolves around reloads and going 1 for 1. Which, is essentially bullseye mode for me. And I don't train in that.

I went in with the expectation to win or place very well. And that was silly of me as someone who doesn't train with steel all that much, and doesn't do steel challenge, there was a good bit of stuff I just don't train for. IN other words, my expectations were too high for the amount of practice I had put into the match.

I tried out some 147 gr bullets, and I really like them. Even at 150 pf they were really light and easy to control, so I think I will move to them almost exclusively.

Now that its warmer, I will be doing several live fire sessions each week, with a match on the weekends. Luckily I have relatively easy access to the desert, and I work a job with flexible hours and that allows me to train a lot.

Designing a training schedule today, and now that my gun is de rusted and working again, gonna get back to dry fire and live fire.

For this week I am hoping to go shooting tomorrow, and work on transitions at 15 yards to partials, and an occasional steel mixed in, Thursday I have a match, Friday I probably won't be able to live fire because of my class schedule, Saturday I have a match, and Sunday is another live fire. Gonna work on some more blake drills and try and bring my 15 yard partial transition times to the times that I am doing blake drills at 10 yards.

Wyatt

I watched yard sale's video and I was wondering how a production shooter/iron sights would do at that match considering the tiny steel.

Also, you use a grip enhancer of some sort? I find it pretty much negates the slipperiness of the gun unless I forget to use it.

Deliberate, then obliterate.™

I am unafraid to miss.

#28 WJM

WJM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • LocationS.L.U.T

Posted 12 April 2016 - 01:47 PM

I watched yard sale's video and I was wondering how a production shooter/iron sights would do at that match considering the tiny steel.

Also, you use a grip enhancer of some sort? I find it pretty much negates the slipperiness of the gun unless I forget to use it.

Yes I use liquid grip. The rain was so bad, it negated pretty much anything I did in regards to grip pro or keeping my hands dry. It was like trying to grip a.. Fish.

Pretty much all the good limited shooters took a LOT of rounds, and were able to get the targets down. SS and Prod got hosed. I talked to Krogh after and we couldn't figure out how we were so stupid to shoot lo cap at a steel match with this difficulty.

To give an idea on target difficulty, I willingly skipped a whole array of targets to shoot at a mini popper at 10 yards with a no shoot behind it, because that was an easier target than the targets they had in the other array.

Wyatt

#29 WJM

WJM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • LocationS.L.U.T

Posted 14 April 2016 - 09:27 PM

Made Grand Master percentage wise. Just need to wait for the classification system to update. 

Sitting right now (if it updated) with 95.607 percent. Gonna practice Saturday and then Sunday, have an exam that following Friday, but pretty much going to live fire 3-4x a week.

Wyatt

#30 NickBlasta

NickBlasta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 500 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 14 April 2016 - 09:46 PM

You don't think the ability to go one for one on steel is a useful skill?

#31 WJM

WJM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • LocationS.L.U.T

Posted 14 April 2016 - 09:58 PM

You don't think the ability to go one for one on steel is a useful skill?

Didn't say that. 

I don't think needing to practice on 2-4 inch pieces of steel at 10 yards a valuable skill. I practice bullseye mode, just not bullseye shooting. Which is what I felt that match was based around.

With irons I felt like that match was essentially slow down to a crawl, perfect sight picture, squeeze trigger, ride reset, perfect sight picture ad naeseum. USPSA is not centered around that, so I wouldn't say its a terrible useful skill compared to what I could be working on.

Wyatt

#32 WJM

WJM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • LocationS.L.U.T

Posted 17 April 2016 - 08:53 PM

Live fire today.

Did 15 yard targets, and worked on transitions on them. Was able to push them down to low 30's very consistently, and mid 20's if I really push it. Still needs some work.

Also did standards and distance change up. My 30 yard freestyle is good, but my WHO at 15 yards is dog shit. Just need to take my time I guess. It feels awkward as fuck.

Ended with 50 yard shooting. Had 3 C's out of 10 shots just a normal pace.

Need to work on: Transitions (this shit never ends), Grip Strength, WHO.

Wyatt

#33 WJM

WJM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • LocationS.L.U.T

Posted 20 April 2016 - 04:11 PM

Wanted to live fire last night on partials. Didn't because all the target stands were with my dad. Going tomorrow, Friday and Saturday. Loading rounds tonight.

Worked on dry fire last night. First one in a while. The funny thing I have found is that I need less and less dry fire the more I live fire. I guess my "trainer" was right when he said that dry fire is mostly technical skills that reach a certain point. I still have things I need to work on, but last night doing my 10 reloads in a row for consistency which normally takes me 3 tries to get good I did on the first try. And I thought it was luck so I ran it again and had the same result.

Starting to really feel one with this gun. The trigger goes when I want, and lots of it has become subconscious.

Tomorrow we are working on shooting on the move and on transitions for speed. I am training someone tomorrow, but I suspect I will be working at 7 yards on the move with him and I'll work at 10 or so. And for transitions we are looking for more speed gains from him and I am going to be working at the same distance but focusing more on reading the front sight.

Wyatt

#34 WJM

WJM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • LocationS.L.U.T

Posted 21 April 2016 - 10:47 PM

Good practice today.

Work on fast fast transitions and did the widening transition drill in live fire! Wow! Good eye opening experience to work up transition distance while keeping the same speed of transitions.

Really enjoying these new 147's in this gun. Trigger finger seems to run faster, I pushed 2 rounds into a .10 split and many many in the .15's. Even was able to push a .18 transition holy fuck moment for me.

Worked on a swinger drill. Feel much better about what will be at area 1 now.

Did some more standards. Found out.... I still suck.

Need to work on standards. I think for the most part I am happy with my transition work. I started this portion of training with General 35 transition times, and have pushed them to mid 20's and 30's on further targets. I am REALLY pleased about how my training has been done and how quickly I've been able to do this.

Wyatt
  • GuanoLoco likes this

#35 WJM

WJM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • LocationS.L.U.T

Posted 27 April 2016 - 12:27 PM

Standards work today. 15 yard Freestyle, Strong Hand, and Weak Hand. MUCH MUCH better at it now. Really good experience, and on top of LOTS of weak hand and strong hand work I also got in freestyle work with draws and reloads. 

Only had 1 messed up live fire reload today. Really smooth and worked really well.

Tried some 15 yard partial work. Wasn't happening so I stopped wasting bullets at it.

Did a 50 yard group today. God smiled down on me, 5 round group, 2 inches across.

Wyatt

#36 WJM

WJM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • LocationS.L.U.T

Posted 27 April 2016 - 02:24 PM

Also small update, today I ran drills right to left. No idea why, but it was smoother and faster for me. I'll update this after I dry fire tonight and live fire tomorrow but I think this is how I am going to keep it if I can help it.

Also tried positioning my body to be set up for the maximum strong hand only benefit, i.e. Strong hand leg forward weakhand leg back, from the start (for freestyle and strong hand) and it seemed to help the transition a ton, especially considering my feet never move just my torso.

Really happy with the progress of more live fire. Still have that goal to shoot 5k before A1 and I am edging much and much closer to it. Sitting right around 1500 or so, so I'll definitely hit the goal but don't want to make a higher goal than that.

If I hit less but I am happy with where I am at I will consider that a win in my book.

Wyatt

#37 GuanoLoco

GuanoLoco

Minister of Culture

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,234 posts
  • LocationMy Safe Space

Posted 27 April 2016 - 10:49 PM

You might consider timing it so your last practice session before A1 is in match mode and not speed / experimental mode.
  • ZachJ likes this
Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

You'll never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

In Doodie, Veritas.

"You might be a little thin-skinned for this forum". -Scott.

#38 WJM

WJM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • LocationS.L.U.T

Posted 28 April 2016 - 07:40 AM

That has been my plan, luckily I live 25 minutes from where A1 is going to be held, and my finals in college end exactly a week before A1. So I can almost exactly practice until the day up to A1.

However my plan is to practice up until about 3 days before A1, and then the day before I am going to do some 40 yard partial work like I always do before a big match.

Wyatt

#39 WJM

WJM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • LocationS.L.U.T

Posted 28 April 2016 - 09:55 PM

Shot some more boolits today. About 300, mostly work on position entry and exit. Learned a lot about how I position entry and exit, and was able to help train someone on it. 

Learned my times are EXTREMELY consistent, and my hits are pretty dang similar actually. Was able to pull 16's pretty consistently at these targets and hold them in the alpha zone, and was able to transition to a 10 yard extreme no shoot partial in about a 40-50. Not the best, however it was a tough shot so I am happy. 

Reloads went well, only had 2 hiccups.

Worked on more strong hand weak hand with the accelerator drill. Damnit partials with a no shoot under them especially on an angle are fucking difficult with SHO WHO.

Yeah I mean thats about it. Just got more reps in, and starting to feel extremely comfortable with this gun. Never felt this in tune with the gun, and I am trying to figure out if I want to shoot next weekends club match. Won't be able to practice at the range, so I may as well shoot a club match. Even though I am starting to phase them out.

Wyatt

#40 WJM

WJM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • LocationS.L.U.T

Posted 01 May 2016 - 11:05 AM

Worked on steel to paper transitions. 

Did some drills I had seen videos of Shane Coley doing, and figured I would set them up and practice them. Really helpful for steel to paper transitions and seeing what I needed to see. My best was a 4.50 ish, Shane shot it in 3.20 so I still suck.

Also worked a little bit on swingers, and some SHO and WHO on a plate rack. Yeah thats still tough as fuck.

Wyatt

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users