#41 WJM

WJM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • LocationS.L.U.T

Posted 04 May 2016 - 05:29 PM

Worked on standards today. 30 yard WHO and stuff like that. Right to the edge of my capabilities at any resemblance of speed. Still needs work, but I can't believe the improvement I have seen in the last couple weeks with weak hand.

Worked on wide transitions, 90*+, was able to push them to 40's with good consistency into the alpha zone, just need to use my eyes more. Finished finals so now I can get back to dry firing twice a day for the next week at least. Don't want to push my hands past the breaking point, but also I know I need the practice. 

Things to do before A1:

-Get wide transitions to the 30's with consistency at 10 yards.
-Transitions into 30's for 15 yard partials.

-Shooting on the move at a 5-7 yard head box moving right to left and left to right.

Wyatt

• RMJack likes this

#42 WJM

WJM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • LocationS.L.U.T

Posted 07 May 2016 - 09:47 PM

Update.

Live fired Thursday with my dad. Worked on shooting on the move at the start, got discouraged and quit that shit. I don't like shooting on stuff where I am just wasting ammo and getting pissed. Anyways, moved to transitions and slowly made some good progress on them.

Unfortunately, we ran out of bullets at that time. Luckily we bought more, so I should be able to get maybe 1.5k in before Area 1. I still want to get a little more comfortable with that 15 yard distance, and I just don't feel absolutely super about it right now.

Shot a match today, shot it in open because I didn't want a classifier being sent in to possibly mess up my GM percentage that updates next week. Basically I just went into this match with the attitude of just having fun, dicking around, and just shooting as fast as I can.

I learned a ton of really awesome things. My shooting on the move is much better than I remember, and I think I was just pushing myself a little too hard in practice. I learned I don't need to push it to win a stage overall (beating GM's in open and limited) if I just let it flow and grip hard.

Also shot a stage today where there was 16 rounds available at the start, and I decided to load up my mags (the whole day I shot 10 round minor open), and holy shit limited is going to be fun one day. 

My draw was there the whole day. 1.24 and 1.15 both to partials at about 7 yards. I was able to steal the timer and check some in match times, 1.24, .16 split, .22 transition, .14 split, .21 transition, .18 split, .22 transition .16 split. So yeah I am damn happy with that.

Wyatt

• ZachJ likes this

#43 WJM

WJM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • LocationS.L.U.T

Posted 07 May 2016 - 09:51 PM

Also sub update, did two sessions of dry fire. Getting more comfortable with the gun. I have kinda started to lose real huge gains in dry fire. It just seems monotonous, I think I need to get back to a regimented dry fire regime with Ben's books and my own drills to target specific things. 

Unfortunately I won't learn much in the week so I will figure this out after Area 1.

Stuff I still need to do before Area 1:

-Wide Transitions to a partial in dry fire and live fire.

-Transitions at 10-15 yard partials.

Wyatt

#44 WJM

WJM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • LocationS.L.U.T

Posted 08 May 2016 - 10:42 PM

Match video from yesterday.

Set up for Area 1 today. Pretty much exactly for what I have been practicing. 10 yard partials, and some closer targets. Basically my transition work has really paid off and I am excited. Not nervous at all, just excited.

Gonna shoot tomorrow and work on confidence drills. 15 yard partials and transitions, 25 yard bills, and sighting my gun in. Tuesday I am shooting, more confidence drills. Watching sights and such. Same goes for Wednesday and Thursday, Friday is going to be a final sight in the gun, check chrono again, and last confidence drills.

Wyatt

• GuanoLoco likes this

#45 WJM

WJM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • LocationS.L.U.T

Posted 10 May 2016 - 09:51 AM

New drill last night to build confidence, and I think it may be my new pre match drill.

20 yards, Bill drill. 15 yards, Bill drill. 10 yards, Bill drill. 5 yards, Bill drill.

All alphas, but goal is fewest charlies possible.

REALLY helped consistency, grip, trigger control, and stance. I think this may be my new favorite drill, and although it is on the high side for round count, it did seem to help a ton with tracking my sights and relying on grip to bring sights back.

Also worked on wide transitions. Helped a bit.

Tonight I am going to do the same drill (4 Bill drills) except at 30, 25, 20, 15. I think this will help a lot.

Still happy with this guns accuracy. Both my tanfos group sub 5 inches at 50. I am really happy.

Wyatt

#46 WJM

WJM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • LocationS.L.U.T

Posted 12 May 2016 - 01:46 PM

Screen%20Shot%202016-05-12%20at%201.40.4

Its official, made Grandmaster in Production. Frankly, it took a little longer than I wanted it to. Classifiers kept not getting put in correctly, but eventually I got it.

Went and practiced yesterday at that 15 yard intermediate distance, and worked on bill drills. Kept hitting A TON of charlies high left. Sighted in my gun, 4 inches high, 4 inches left. Went to re sight in my gun, and the sight wouldn't budge. Anyways long story short I fixed my guns and sights, they are good and zeroed at 15, and hit just fine at 25. Bill drills at 15 was helpful, and so was blake drills at 15. Worked really hard on group shooting also. 

My hands hurt a ton, so I stopped. I can tell when my hands are smoked, and thats that so I am taking a break until tomorrow later.

Wyatt

• dels, chachacha, ZackJones and 3 others like this

#47 Sweet T

Sweet T

Glock Master Race

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,662 posts

Posted 12 May 2016 - 02:14 PM

Congrats on GM.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

#48 GuanoLoco

GuanoLoco

Minister of Culture

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,234 posts
  • LocationMy Safe Space

Posted 12 May 2016 - 03:14 PM

I guess Ben was right when he said that anyone could become a GM.

Congrats! Seriously!
Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

You'll never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

In Doodie, Veritas.

"You might be a little thin-skinned for this forum". -Scott.

#49 WJM

WJM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • LocationS.L.U.T

Posted 16 May 2016 - 08:25 PM

Area 1 is over and done. Since classifiers updated after the match had started (Staff started Wednesday and classifiers updated Thursday) match staff talked to Foley and the RM's and went to the junior rule, which states if a competitor starts the match as a junior, then has a birthday and becomes an adult he can have the choice of shooting the match as a junior or an adult. I elected to shoot Area 1 as a GM as I felt this was the proper course and I had earned the classification.

Day 1 was really choppy. Certain stages I absolutely demolished, and others quite frankly I sucked ass at. I lacked sight discipline, and as a result I pulled 3 mikes, and 9 deltas. I don't know the last time I shot that bad of shots in a match total, much less day one of a major. A positive note from day one however, is that my time compared to top guys was right on, if not a second and a half better on stages than them. I am really pleased with this, as it shows my work. Bad shots can be fixed, and I think its a lot easier to gain accuracy, then speed because speed takes so many reps. I put in work pre match on standards, and as a result I was able to shoot second place on this stage. Which I am EXTREMELY pleased with, as the top shooter is from Washington, and those guys practice standards about once a week at their locals.

Day 2 I am really happy and impressed with. I thought about it a lot the night after day 1, and tried to think if I wanted to push. I decided to just shoot the second day by watching my sights the whole time, and being more disciplined. As a result I was able to shoot top 5 on 5 of the stages, and win one of them the second day. I was able to stem the loss that I had, but it wasn't enough to win overall. I ended up with 4th overall Production, and 2nd Grandmaster. 

One important lesson I learned was that by watching my sights I was in fact no slower than by not watching my sights, and time wise I was still able to hold with the top guys. I am happy with this, and I know what I need to practice. I talked to Bob Krogh about the match, he said that a match like this almost takes as much discipline as a really technical match just because if you are aiming for the alpha zone like you should be doing in Production, you will transition just as fast partial to partial as open to open. Food for thought.

Things to work on:

-Partials on heavy leans.

-Sight discipline for every shot.

-Dot Drills.

-Grip strengthening at the gym.

-Weight loss by meal prepping, and more ladder drills.

Wyatt

• ZachJ and NickBlasta like this

#50 WJM

WJM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • LocationS.L.U.T

Posted 16 May 2016 - 09:29 PM

Doodie_zpshwvebx5k.jpg

You can probably guess where my dad and I had mikes at this match.

Wyatt

#51 WJM

WJM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • LocationS.L.U.T

Posted 18 May 2016 - 02:41 PM

Shot about 250 rounds today in practice. Wanted to spend the whole time watching my sights and seeing what they were doing. Mainly accuracy stuff on partials.

However, I ran into a small issue. I found that after my first shot I would get my sights to dip quite a lot on the second sight picture. So much so that on a 10 yard headbox they would leave the target and shoot under the target a couple inches. It wasn't just once or twice that this happened. I don't know if anyone has had a similar issue, but I asked a few friends and they seemed to come to two possible conclusions. Overgripping, and recoil spring being sprung wrong.

I run a 8lb Recoil spring, and granted I grip the fuck out of the gun, but maybe if Ben is reading this or someone else who grips a lot with their weak hand and let me know if they have similar issues? 

Thanks for any help,

Wyatt

Things to work on:

-More accuracy

-Discipline and sight follow through (dot drills from Avery and Ben)

-Leans on partials still

#52 ZachJ

ZachJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,124 posts
  • LocationBC Canada

Posted 18 May 2016 - 03:21 PM

Overgripping is a definite possiblity, but that usually leads to me shooting left, or low and left, not straight down. As I witnessed at my last match.

Slacking up the grip particularly with your strong hand, and particularly in a way that you're not contacting the backstrap as much is what I've found I have been doing until recently on partials, and a while ago, when I lose focus on my grip. This leads to straight down shots. Misses/ D-zones at classic targets @ 25, partial classic (top 1/3) at 15yd, and small groups just below a dot I'm blasting at during dot drills.

I can't say I've ever felt that my Shadow (11lb, 13lb, 14lb, 15lb recoil springs) with various combinations of ammo, some of which made 130-140 PF ever felt oversprung.

Deliberate, then obliterate.™

I am unafraid to miss.

#53 GuanoLoco

GuanoLoco

Minister of Culture

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,234 posts
  • LocationMy Safe Space

Posted 18 May 2016 - 07:42 PM

Are you subconsciously pushing the gun down in an effort to minimize the recoil of the first shot?

In Doodie, Veritas.

#54 WJM

WJM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • LocationS.L.U.T

Posted 19 May 2016 - 02:43 PM

Overgripping is a definite possiblity, but that usually leads to me shooting left, or low and left, not straight down. As I witnessed at my last match.

Slacking up the grip particularly with your strong hand, and particularly in a way that you're not contacting the backstrap as much is what I've found I have been doing until recently on partials, and a while ago, when I lose focus on my grip. This leads to straight down shots. Misses/ D-zones at classic targets @ 25, partial classic (top 1/3) at 15yd, and small groups just below a dot I'm blasting at during dot drills.

I can't say I've ever felt that my Shadow (11lb, 13lb, 14lb, 15lb recoil springs) with various combinations of ammo, some of which made 130-140 PF ever felt oversprung.

I will look into gripping more of the grip with regards to the backstrap. I worked on dots today and that helped a lot.

Are you subconsciously pushing the gun down in an effort to minimize the recoil of the first shot?

Yes I think that is happening with my strong hand, my weak hand is just hurting my strong hand.

Today I worked about 270 rounds of dots. And well to say the least I am very humbled. Difficult drill, and wasn't able to clean it at 5 yards, and I have no fucking clue at 7 yards. 

Granted I didn't actually have a legit par timer (just a timer on my phone) but it seemed to work ok. Definitely have something to work towards and I can tell it will help with my accuracy a ton, and my discipline on shots.

What I need to work on:

-More grip fixing

-Dots dots and more dots

-Shoot 95% of points at this weekends match

-Have better follow through

-Leans on partials, but haven't had a chance to do them.

Wyatt

• ZachJ likes this

#55 ZachJ

ZachJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,124 posts
  • LocationBC Canada

Posted 19 May 2016 - 04:30 PM

I will look into gripping more of the grip with regards to the backstrap. I worked on dots today and that helped a lot.

Yes I think that is happening with my strong hand, my weak hand is just hurting my strong hand.

Today I worked about 270 rounds of dots. And well to say the least I am very humbled. Difficult drill, and wasn't able to clean it at 5 yards, and I have no fucking clue at 7 yards. 

Granted I didn't actually have a legit par timer (just a timer on my phone) but it seemed to work ok. Definitely have something to work towards and I can tell it will help with my accuracy a ton, and my discipline on shots.

What I need to work on:

-More grip fixing

-Dots dots and more dots

-Shoot 95% of points at this weekends match

-Have better follow through

-Leans on partials, but haven't had a chance to do them.

Wyatt

Just be careful when you're messing with your grip. Everybody's hands + their gun combo is different, and I don't know what you've been using, or are currently using. I used to try and make it so that my palm covered the checkering on a Shadow's backstrap last year.

Turns out that I can't get that same grip when I draw or in particular do a pickup so I went with what I have now, which sacrifices some contact area with the backstrap in return for the grip I naturally place my hands in when drawing or picking up a gun, so I just make sure I maintain a firm grip with my strong hand. I'd argue that making sure you have consistent placement of your hand(which I'm guessing you do as you're GM), and that you maintain constant grip pressure(whether deathgrip, or firm) is more important than trying to twist your strong hand to cover more backstrap, in case you're thinking of doing that. As someone once told me "Consistency is King".

Oh, and you'll get dots easy enough. I'm a C/B class noob right now(I think?) It only took me 800+/- rounds to be able to clean sheets somewhat consistently @ 5yd. I still can't clean more than 2 dots in a row @ 7yds though. I'm thinking I'll switch to mostly 7yd dots once I can clean a sheet @ 5yd cold at the beginning of a practice session.

• WJM likes this

Deliberate, then obliterate.™

I am unafraid to miss.

#56 WJM

WJM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • LocationS.L.U.T

Posted 19 May 2016 - 07:57 PM

Just be careful when you're messing with your grip. Everybody's hands + their gun combo is different, and I don't know what you've been using, or are currently using. I used to try and make it so that my palm covered the checkering on a Shadow's backstrap last year.

Turns out that I can't get that same grip when I draw or in particular do a pickup so I went with what I have now, which sacrifices some contact area with the backstrap in return for the grip I naturally place my hands in when drawing or picking up a gun, so I just make sure I maintain a firm grip with my strong hand. I'd argue that making sure you have consistent placement of your hand(which I'm guessing you do as you're GM), and that you maintain constant grip pressure(whether deathgrip, or firm) is more important than trying to twist your strong hand to cover more backstrap, in case you're thinking of doing that. As someone once told me "Consistency is King".

Oh, and you'll get dots easy enough. I'm a C/B class noob right now(I think?) It only took me 800+/- rounds to be able to clean sheets somewhat consistently @ 5yd. I still can't clean more than 2 dots in a row @ 7yds though. I'm thinking I'll switch to mostly 7yd dots once I can clean a sheet @ 5yd cold at the beginning of a practice session.

I am going to just experiment with the new options of a grip, I just want a better recoil control of it. I am going to shoot some slo motion video tomorrow, and if I can see what I need to do better I will do it, if not I will experiment with different recoil springs.

Ok time for probably the biggest range entry I have had.

Last night I thought long and hard about trying to acquire a spot for nationals. And while I probably could, I just don't feel ready for it. I understand nationals is a very long time away, but I really feel like I would be much better prepped for next years nationals. Especially having options of what I need to do, and plenty of matches in between then and now. 

So naturally after deciding what I need to do, I have decided I need to start training. 

From a pure shooting experience, what I see to be my issues are 3 pretty big aspects.

1. Consistency. I can absolutely burn down stages that turn out to be match wins by a very generous amount, but I can't seem to string together more than 10 of them. (I noticed this at Area 1 especially).

2. Accuracy. Simply put I am shooting too many alphas to be a top 10 shooter. Considering thats my goal, obviously I need to change my alpha count. I think a lot of this is just not being patient enough with my sights for every targets, but I need to change it fast and start shooting at 92-95% of points at every match.

3. Steel make ups. Quite frankly I am just taking too much time with make ups on steel. Some stages steel comes very naturally for me, others I just end up sucking ass on it and getting lucky. I think a way to fix this is to just train like a 3 gunner. I watch a good friend of mine Brian Nelson just dominate on steel, and he says a lot of it is because he practices on 4x10 knock downs. Makes sense.

From a health standpoint I am just overweight. This is causing me to have to shoot differently than how I would being lighter. Right now I weigh in at 250 or so. Gonna push that down to 200-210. Which for 6'1 I think thats very acceptable.

Now, how to remedy this?

I think I need to be doing live fire between 2-4 times a week, along with dry firing every day. I used to shoot matches every weekend, but I think I am going to start lessening that because simply, there is no reason to shoot a match, unless I need to figure out what I need to do. If I can save 20 or 25 bucks a week, plus gas money and lunch with friends I am up to 40 bucks. Thats about 400 rounds that I can spend on training. So I want to shoot 2 locals a month, along with majors. 

For locals, I want to start shooting 92-95% of points. Now that I have made GM I can spend classifiers on making points for the match, and don't have to worry about fucking up GM with a medium classifier. I am going to start designing stages at locals, hopefully to start doing some pretty gnarly standards.

As far as live fire training, I want to introduce more match mode training. Less timer, more match mode by watching my sights between partials. Portions of stages I felt weakest at my last match, and then figuring out why it was weak etc.

For working out, I need to cut out soda and high sugar drinks. Unfortunately that means tea, monster, red mountain dew, basically everything good in life. Luckily I got a hook up on sugar free calorie free monster, which will help a ton. Not only will this cut out useless calories, but also will save me a lot of money. I figure 3 bucks a day for monster, thats 20 bucks a day. And as my friend says "dats match fee".

Live fire wise I am going to start really working hard on Ben's 15 minute program along with his book. I made huge gains when I was using the timer in dry fire through Ben's dry fire book using specific drills with set times. I am going to get back to that, and start really hammering down those par times. My reloads need to be more consistent, and my draw has gotten slow. 

Goals:

-Shoot Top 10 at 2017 Production Nationals. (Yes I know what Basham says about goals like this)

-Shoot 92-95% of points at 3 locals in a row.

-Clean dots at 5 yards.

Wyatt

#57 WJM

WJM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • LocationS.L.U.T

Posted 19 May 2016 - 10:33 PM

First dry fire tonight. 

Worked on quick step, position exit, and reloads. Quick step went well. Was able to do the reload, and get to 4 shots in the time limit all while watching my sights completely.

Position exit went well. Used the hard version, and that seemed to work well.

Reloads, apparently I now suck at reloads. What I used to be able to do in 4.6-4.8 seconds I can't even do in 5.1. Guess I will have to investigate that.

Wyatt

#58 GuanoLoco

GuanoLoco

Minister of Culture

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,234 posts
  • LocationMy Safe Space

Posted 20 May 2016 - 09:24 AM

Cut the sugar - you don't need it. Caffeine is another matter entirely. Sugar other than maybe diluted fruit juice screws me up.

I completely agree on more structured training vs. just 'more matches'.

I cautioned you about those chimichangas.

You look like a really strong shooter - GO FOR IT!

In Doodie, Veritas.

#59 ToddKS

ToddKS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,495 posts
  • LocationGetting killed in the streets

Posted 20 May 2016 - 11:08 AM

That sugar free crap is worse for you than the sugar. Cut out the soda/monster entirely.

Caffine comes from coffee, black. Unsweetened tea is also an option.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

#60 busdriver

busdriver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 20 May 2016 - 12:17 PM

Calories in < Calories out

Everything else is mumbo jumbo

• peterthefish likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic