peterthefish

Banned.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,999 posts

Posted 20 May 2016 - 12:28 PM

Calories in < Calories out

Everything else is mumbo jumbo

Lost 60 lbs following this one simple trick. Obey.
  • NickBlasta likes this

#62 WJM

WJM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • LocationS.L.U.T

Posted 21 May 2016 - 08:57 PM

Thanks all for the weight loss tips. I have now gone 3 days without a legit calorie monster, or other drinks so I guess that is good. 

Did dry fire yesterday and today, not gonna post here every day unless I do a live fire. Anyways today I worked on steel to paper transitions in dry fire, along with training someone with some position exit. Seemed to work good, and my reloads and draws are getting back to their normal speed.

For shits and giggles tried a dry fire reload today, still sitting at about 1 second to do a draw and a consistent reload. Can't seem to get faster than that for a reload with a tanfo. With my Glock it was a lot faster and smoother.

Wyatt

#63 NickBlasta

NickBlasta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 500 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 22 May 2016 - 01:56 AM

I toldja cutting out liquid calories is a good thing. ;)

• BenB likes this

#64 WJM

WJM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • LocationS.L.U.T

Posted 23 May 2016 - 08:39 AM

Just got home from the range. 200 total rounds on trigger stripe drill from Ron Avery and Dots. 

Weird at 5 yards I could target focus on the dots with extreme precision. When I brought my focus to my sights for a more hard sight focus I found that I was pulling shots off the dots.

Was able to clean it at 3 yards, cold. Cold at 5 yards I ran it with 3 out. Still need to work on this a lot more. I think I can get to the point of doing 7 yards cold but we will see.

Wyatt

#65 WJM

WJM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • LocationS.L.U.T

Posted 27 May 2016 - 04:08 PM

Pretty consistent at 1-4 out at 5-6 yards on dots. Tried it at 7 and shot it 5 out, but I still am not using the whole amount of time. 

Typically my dots are in the low 4.3 ish, and I just need to learn more discipline and become more of a machine. I know I have a lot more time I can be using, I just need to use it more to my advantage.

Been doing lots of dry fire. Dunno how to update that.

Wyatt

• ZachJ likes this

#66 WJM

WJM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • LocationS.L.U.T

Posted 30 May 2016 - 11:03 AM

Haven't updated in a few days. Shot a match. I thought I shot very well for production. This match is pretty heavily disadvantaged to people shooting production, and has a very high advantage to limited and open. The stage break downs were very fucking tough for production, but I feel like I shot them all fairly well.

One thing I have noticed is I am aiming too close to partials. At the last few matches I have plugged a no shoot that has been able to count both ways, at each of the last 3 matches, sometimes happening twice in a match. I really need to respect partials more and quit aiming so damn close to them. I want the alphas, but sometimes I have to realize that the risk isn't worth an alpha.

I am getting better at watching my sights the whole way through, along with transitions on paper is coming along very well. 

I did the dots yesterday, went 35/36 at 5 yards twice. Tried at 7 and it was a shit show, but then again it could've been more like 8.5 considering I only had paces to work off of. Its whatever.

Gonna work on some more position entry and having my gun up with more partials. I still need to be able to transition to a partial and from a partial nearer to the same speed I do open to open targets.

Wyatt

#67 peterthefish

peterthefish

Banned.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,999 posts

Posted 30 May 2016 - 05:39 PM

• ZachJ likes this

#68 WJM

WJM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • LocationS.L.U.T

Posted 04 June 2016 - 10:32 PM

Match footage from today. Decided to shoot Limited with my Production gun, and mags loaded to 17 (technically I was able to bastardize a mag to 20+1 but it pretty much sucked ass).

Wanted to work on my movements more, and array to array work. Found out both of those are good, and have become strengths of mine. My flow is a lot better in a stage, but I am having issues hitting more exact locations. I am going to try Ben's drill "Hitting the Spot" and see if that helps, I assume it will. 

Had 3 pick ups on steel today, and they were silly issues. Most of them went down without problem. 

Shot too many charlies as usual, and then deltas on close targets. One stage I sorta went berserk and decided to shoot out of my mind and it showed. May have been alright in Limited Major but Minor kicked my ass. 

Time wise I did amazing. 10 seconds faster than anyone else (open, limited, PCC) but hits wise and being in minor just kicked my ass. I need to shoot more points and thats a fact.

Gonna be more deliberate at my next match in 2 weeks, work on hits and keeping a similar time.

Have to admit this is the first time I am starting to be able to shoot like a GM with some consistency. My first stage of the day was a stage win overall by a large margin, and I had that happen on 4/6 of the stages which considering who is at my locals I am happy with. I need better consistency, but it is happening slowly but surely.

Wyatt

• GuanoLoco likes this

#69 WJM

WJM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • LocationS.L.U.T

Posted 10 June 2016 - 02:04 PM

Shot a match last night in limited. While the stint was fun, I am done for it now. Of course I will be going back to limited once I focus on 3 gun but thats not planned for a little over a year and a half. 

Ended up sucking the match up pretty hard. I had to build it, design stages, RO, iPad, and tear down every stage. And shoot first every stage. That match is fun to me, so I cranked up the speed and just let it rip. It showed, but I had fun. Knew where my head was so I am not down on myself at all about it.

Ended up shooting what is projected to be 94.5% on a classifier, using a Prod gun and minor in limited. So I am happy at least that my classifier skills haven't deteriorated.

We designed a stage for SHO and WHO. Ended up winning that one Overall.

Dunno how else to update. Been a little busy in life so haven't live fired, but planning on one session tomorrow, and one on Sunday.

Wyatt

#70 WJM

WJM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • LocationS.L.U.T

Posted 19 June 2016 - 08:18 PM

Movement is looking better, shot way more consistent and more accurate. Steel wasn't wanting to cooperate with me, so I need to work on that a lot. 

Shot 92.8% of points excluding my one No shoot, and 90.7 with the no shoot included. Those two deltas killed me but they were close and I called them as in that general area just didn't have the make up shots in that position for it.

Wyatt

#71 WJM

WJM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • LocationS.L.U.T

Posted 28 June 2016 - 11:37 AM

Been live firing a lot lately, haven't had a ton of HUGE breakthroughs until last night.

Focused on faster transitions, and slower splits. Noticed a very large jump in consistency in points, with the same overall time for that drill.

Very useful and eye opening for me.

Wyatt

#72 WJM

WJM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • LocationS.L.U.T

Posted 06 July 2016 - 11:56 AM

Match video. Overall shot a good match. Stupid make ups on plate racks and small far steel ate my shit.. And I am pretty pissed I didn't make my goal of winning prod by 20% but there is next match. I am gonna spend some real time this week working on 10 round arrays with 4-6 pieces of steel in different positions and around walls. That seems to be a weakness of mine.

Had one mike. Called the first shot bad, made it up, make up was also a mike. Fuck.

Wyatt

#73 WJM

WJM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • LocationS.L.U.T

Posted 21 August 2016 - 10:22 PM

Haven't updated this in a while. 

Went through a very shitty period of my life, which is bad. But the good thing is I started training again. I had taken about 4-5 months off of actual dry fire thats regimented. I am happy to say I am back to dry firing every day, and live firing about 3 times a week. 

Today we shot a match ^^ link above, and it went alright. I am dissapointed in how 2 of my reloads went. They were so bad the magazine flew out of my hand and landed like 7 feet away. Which is weird because all the rest of them went really smooth and clean.. Maybe just a fluke, the magazine could've slipped through my hands, but either way it did cost me a few seconds. I had trigger freeze on one target, and it cost me about a full second on a transition and trigger pull.

My gun doesn't seem to like this bullet powder combo. I can't remember the last time I had such issues at 20 yard mini's usually I am very methodical with those and almost spent a whole mag on them this match. Gonna look into it.

Wyatt

#74 WJM

WJM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • LocationS.L.U.T

Posted 24 August 2016 - 06:50 PM

Been dry firing pretty hardcore lately. Around an hour a day, depending how my back and elbow feel. 

Its been going good. I have gotten my live fire reloads down to around a second with pretty good consistency. Draw and grip are much better, and so thats a good thing. 

I still need to learn how to exit a position faster. I understand the concept of shooting while leaving and all of that, I just am having a tough time figuring out how to tell my body to go.. NOW. Gonna try a few different things, maybe apply one of them before Utah state.

The next 3 weekends I have "majors" every single weekend. First one is a local "championship" at a smaller club. Not USPSA, but I have wanted to win it for a few years so that will be fun. The weekend after this one is Utah state, which was my match bump to open last year. The following weekend is Idaho State which I have to defend because I won it last year.

I plan on shooting groups at around 35-50 yards up until Utah and Idaho. Probably do some bill drills and blake drills at 35-50, and then a few days before I will move the targets into 15 or so and practice at that range with partials. That seems to get my confidence going and thats what I need right now.

​​​​​​​Wyatt

• Lloyd Christmas likes this

#75 WJM

WJM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • LocationS.L.U.T

Posted 05 September 2016 - 11:03 AM

2nd place. Lots of work to do. Idaho this weekend. Then done for a month or two offseason, then training starts. Gonna write down what I can do better in a journal (maybe here) tonight so I don't forget since it will be so long until I am shooting another match or training.

Wyatt

#76 WJM

WJM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • LocationS.L.U.T

Posted 05 September 2016 - 07:34 PM

What I did good:

I felt like almost all of my reloads went well. Out of the estimated 30 reloads I did (probably more but I am estimating) I had two bad ones. This is pretty good for me, and I am very happy with this. Out of the two I messed up, one was a very bad mess up where the gun exited my hand, the other was just a little slow. The little bit slow reload just happened to happen on the fastest stage though so that was a bummer.

Shot calling. I seemed to be able to call my shots well. I knew where the bullets were going, and I made up my shots as I needed to. Yes, I had more makeups than I wanted to have, but not everything can be perfect.

Steel. I seemed to shoot steel better than I usually do. Which isn't where I want to be, but it is a step in the right direction. I still am doing too many make up shots, but luckily the make up shots seem to be happening lots faster, which further suggests I am able to call shots better.

Mid range targets. I seemed to be able to split very fast on the mid range targets (10 yards), at about 25's or so and still pick up alphas. 

Entering a position. I have been working a ton on this, and it has shown its dividends. My sights are level when I enter a position, I am able to shoot better, and my feet are settling when I want them to. Which results in less sight shifts.

Position exit. I seemed to really have a solid idea of what targets I could best leave on, what I could shoot good exiting on, and my feet positioning. I am happy with that.

What I sucked at:

Points. Still shooting too many C's. Often on HF's I was able to get away with it, but I still WANT to shoot more alphas. 

Shooting on the move/ position entry. Yes I said this is what I did good, however I had too many make ups on targets that I entered on. I want to work on my shooting on the move a little bit more to reduce the shimmy of my sights.

Hosing. Still need to learn to let my sights settle a little bit more when hosing. I tend to want to transition so fast that my gun wants to pull Alpha Charlies instead of 2 Alphas. I will fix this.

Wyatt

#77 WJM

WJM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • LocationS.L.U.T

Posted 08 September 2016 - 11:21 AM

I have realized I need to refocus my training. If Nationals is when I think it is (October ish) next year, then I have right around a year to accomplish my personal goal for Nationals.

I talked to a good friend of mine, and I need to stop trying to be a good shooter, and start trying to be a good USPSA athlete. It may make sense later on in this, if not its ok I know what I mean, and this diary is all for me anyways.

Local Match Goals:

-Stop shooting so many locals, replace them with training.

-Shoot 1 local match a month, (I think it will probably actually be in St. George that way I can get a weekend of training in as well). Its a further drive for me, but they have some amazing local matches that are more balanced than locals near me, plus I can train while I am down there.

-Shoot 3 locals in a row (which means 3 months in a row), and over 92% of points shot.

Major Match Goals:

-Shoot between 92%-95% of points at each major I go to.

-Shoot 2 Area matches, and a Nationals next year.

So how to be a better USPSA athlete?

Attack my weaknesses. 

What are my major weaknesses?

-I am slow moving from position to position. Not only am I a larger dude, I just don't know how to move faster. I am going to research this, while losing weight. I have already made huge weight loss gains by quitting monster for good, and replacing a meal a day with a protein shake. I still need to meal prep more, but its a start. I need to start working out on a very consistent level if I want to lighten myself, and I need to learn to burst out of position better. Where people seem to be beating me by a ton is in movement. I can pull the trigger with top dudes, its my efficiency that is killing me. My specific goal for this is to lose 40 pounds by nationals. Right now I am around 240-250, I need to be around 200 for my body size. If I can turn lots of this into muscle then I may be closer to 210 but either way. I have lots of friends that are nutritionists that are willing to help me so thats an advantage.

-I shoot too many C's and D's on close targets. I actually think this is one of my easier issues to correct. I am simply running and gunning past my mental processing speed. I shouldn't be pulling AC, AA, AD, CD on a 4 target close array. I am going just a hair faster than I can comfortably shoot Alphas at. I think this is one of those rare moments where slowing down just a tiny bit is actually the solution. I figure this is where almost half of my points dropped come from. The fact that I am dropping 50% of my points at close distances suggests a major issue, and I am going to follow this up before it starts getting really cold in Utah.

-Steel. I watch lots of match video of top shooters, and they seem to have one thing all in common. They attack steel. My good training partner BNels is incredible at steel. I need to up my steel game to a whole new level if I want to be able to compete with top guys. Too many pick ups means too much time, which means lower hit factor.

-Shot calling. This needs work. Don't know how to fix it, so I am going to research it and report back.

Smaller Weaknesses.

-Swingers. I just don't feel as confident as I should on them. I want to go into a match and be confident at anything I am going to be given. Its not that I am terrible at swingers, I just want to be slightly better at them than I am now.

-Reloads. I still am messing up 2-4 at a big match. Which doesn't seem huge, but I would like that number to be 1-2 at a big match. Maybe this is just something that I can be happy with but I am going to look into it.

-My grip. I am unhappy with how my gun grips for me. The issue seems to be with how the grips are, they just don't fit my hands very well, any larger grip and I am overweight for the gun and box. Gonna look into this.

What am I good at?

-Partials, distance targets. I shoot these really well, but I seem to have two speeds. Close target and far target. Want to work on that intermediate zone area.

-Reloads. I am VERY happy with the fluidity and speed of my reloads. It seems like almost always my reloads are complete when I need them to be complete, and my gun is up ready to shoot in the next position. 

-Draws. Unfortunately we don't NEED a fast draw as a USPSA competitor. I am going to work on keeping my draw speed the same, (I think it is fast enough already), but work on consistency of my grip being crushing on the draw all the time. 

-Position entry. My footwork entering a position is EXACTLY how I want it to be. My feet know exactly where to go, and they settle exactly when I want them to. Most of that I think is because of the drill's I have been doing in dry fire.

-Stage Plans. Although this may seem straightforward I really am proud of how well I am able to diagnose a stage, and execute THAT plan I want to with very little issues. 

I think systematically breaking down and attacking these issues will up my game a ton. 

Wyatt

#78 MemphisMechanic

MemphisMechanic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 843 posts
  • LocationMemphis, TN

Posted 10 September 2016 - 08:09 AM

I just read your entire journal, and watched the majority of the videos - you're far better at everything than the B-class clown over here. ..

But my immediate takeaways from your videos would be two things which you've identified:
1. "This dude would be dangerous if he were fit, and could really hustle."
2. I've never seen a GM who miked on steel this often - it's seriously a shock to those of us who know the sport and pick up your video channel cold. Standing loads. Often going to slide lock on position exit when you should have 4 rounds left. When you do clean it, there seems to often be some hesitation due to double-checking it, rather than owning that last plate and exiting stage left like a baller.
I won an IDPA match once. It was neat.

#79 MemphisMechanic

MemphisMechanic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 843 posts
  • LocationMemphis, TN

Posted 10 September 2016 - 07:02 PM

Oh also... A high level of cardio fitness (I'll run a few miles anytime I have the option) has an astonishing effect on your ability to perform at the end of the day when everyone else is getting tired.

Physically and mentally, both.

It's a fringe benefit of fitness that most don't mention. There's more to advantage to fitness than simply not being gassed at the end of each long field course.
  • Stubb, ZachJ and WJM like this
I won an IDPA match once. It was neat.

#80 ZachJ

ZachJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts
  • LocationBC Canada

Posted 10 September 2016 - 07:32 PM

Oh also... A high level of cardio fitness (I'll run a few miles anytime I have the option) has an astonishing effect on your ability to perform at the end of the day when everyone else is getting tired.

Physically and mentally, both.

It's a fringe benefit of fitness that most don't mention. There's more to advantage to fitness than simply not being gassed at the end of each long field course.

+1

Life in general got real easy the moment I was able to say "Hey, I'm gonna run 10km right now" and do that whenever.

Deliberate, then obliterate.™

I am unafraid to miss.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users