#81 NickBlasta

NickBlasta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 500 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 10 September 2016 - 10:26 PM

He has lost a lot of weight. I'm sure his stamina will increase as well.

• WJM likes this

#82 WJM

WJM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • LocationS.L.U.T

Posted 11 September 2016 - 02:20 PM

Thanks all for the words.

I just read your entire journal, and watched the majority of the videos - you're far better at everything than the B-class clown over here. ..

But my immediate takeaways from your videos would be two things which you've identified:
1. "This dude would be dangerous if he were fit, and could really hustle."
2. I've never seen a GM who miked on steel this often - it's seriously a shock to those of us who know the sport and pick up your video channel cold. Standing loads. Often going to slide lock on position exit when you should have 4 rounds left. When you do clean it, there seems to often be some hesitation due to double-checking it, rather than owning that last plate and exiting stage left like a baller.

Thanks man! I am working on getting more fit. Down about 10-15 pounds, still looking for another 30-40.

I agree. I suck ass at steel. Can't seem to pull it together. I shot steel a lot better at Idaho and I was still pretty shitty at it. Still needs tons of work, but I am gonna be training with BNels and my pops and both of them are beyond incredible at steel so I am sure that will help a ton.

Here is my Idaho match video. I am going to do a full match breakdown later tonight when I get a minute between homework, but as of right now I accomplished almost all of my goals. I shot 92.5% of available points. Lowered my delta count to 2 (previously I was shooting 7+) and I shot steel better. Obviously there is still room for improvement, and I had a couple of silly standing reloads that I could've eliminated with better shots on steel especially when entering a position, but its improvement.

Thanks,

Wyatt

#83 WJM

WJM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • LocationS.L.U.T

Posted 11 September 2016 - 07:58 PM

Stage 1- Good stage for me. 1 pick up on paper that I needed to do to make up for a delta forced me to do another reload than I wanted. As well as I shot the closer target on the right first resulting in a dust cloud which caused me to not see the back target on the right near the start of the video. This caused me to just put two shots on the target and caused an Alpha Delta.

Stage 2- Draw was good, exit from the first position was good, entry into the second position was good, exit from the second position was good, entry into the 3rd position was good. Wheels came off on the left steel as I was trying to leave on it. Going to have to work on my position exit with hard steel. Call It and Leave It drill. Position entry into the 4th position was good I thought, but needed 2 make ups on steel over there. Shot the rest of the steel clean, but my stage crapped up because of entering and exiting on steel.

Stage 3- First stage of the match for me, hands were frozen solid. No excuses though. Needed 5 make up shots to finish this stage. 2 on paper I called bad and made them up (I had the extra rounds), and the steel ones were just silly. I rushed off the left mini popper thinking I needed more time on the max trap, when in reality I had another .1 seconds I could've waited to make sure my sights were there but I didn't.

Stage 4- 7 charlies good God. Too many. Most were barely out, and surprisingly they didn't happen in the middle array where I turned up the heat. I had 1 Charlie on the draw, and then one on the second target which shouldn't have happened. Usually thats where I am my best so I am pissed with that. Swingers went well, and I thought my movements were really solid here. Position entry went good, and I was able to double to full size popper to get the swinger moving better.

Stage 5- One of my better stages at the match. Draw was a little slow, but it was in such an awkward position that it is to be expected to have such a slow draw. My one charlie on this stage was on the furthest right partial. I think I was just aiming off of the hardcover and it resulted in me pulling a shot left of the alpha zone. Had 2 make ups on the Leo's leaner steel, but it is a spinning steel so I can't beat myself up too bad. Position entry into the popper was excellent and my reload was also solid.

Stage 6- This stage was interesting. I changed my plans before the 5 minutes were up, and it actually turned out for the best. The steel was at a pretty good distance, and only being able to see half of the poppers because of barrels made this stage a complete pain in the ass. I shot the mini popper which was at around 20 yards on the right hand side which means I could only see about 1/3-1/2 of the mini popper which made it a damn tough shot. I needed 2 make ups on that steel.

Stage 7- Good stage minus make ups on steel. Was able to double the large popper on the left and hit the mini which made for a good activation sequence on the swinger, and really made that position fast. However the make ups on the right mini poppers made it almost a useless venture. Need to work on this still.

Stage 8- No make ups on steel in the first position, and burnt down the steel in a fast time. Right side I missed my positioning, and it resulted in a skewed stance. Messed up my first and second shot on the Leo's leaner because my foot position, and had to have several make ups because of it. 

Stage 9- Unloaded start went perfect, first target went perfect, then I pulled a no shoot. It was an Alpha No shoot, so it barely tagged the no shoot. I honestly don't know what happened. Maybe I overswung that transition a tiny bit, or maybe I trigger jerked it bad but it felt perfect so I really don't know. The steel went perfect on this stage though.

Stage 10- My best stage at this match. I didn't shoot the polish cleanly. My draw was a mike, and I tried to get fancy and shoot a steel between the wall and the barrel, but in hindsight it was for the best because I was able to get the perfect movement on the polish to not have to worry about it getting out of control. The right mini poppers I needed a make up on, but they were really fucking far away so I don't feel too bad about that. I won this stage by 40 points, so easily my best one.

What did I do good?

-Points. Was very accurate and watched my sights on every target.
-Reloads. Went smooth, no issues.

-Draws. Smooth, fast, consistent.

-Movements. Seemed fast. I think lightening up a bit and learning to run faster will help a ton still.

Bad?

-Position entry. Seemed to not do too good at this match what usually I do the best at. Mostly my footwork wasn't planted like I want to. Maybe I am getting down on myself for no reason because I tried entering on small steel at 10 yards but I feel like I am capable at that.
-Position exit. Needed too many make ups on steel with this.
-Steel. Y U SHOOT STEEL SOOO BAD.

Wyatt

#84 MemphisMechanic

MemphisMechanic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 860 posts
  • LocationMemphis, TN

Posted 12 September 2016 - 11:38 AM

You either burned steel down... or shot it like a C class baller. It's almost like I could toss a coin as you arrived to shoot steel, and either the "C" or "GM" side would get called.

I was going to comment on that awkward stance on the right side of stage 8, but you beat me to it. Feet all close together and shit.

I have gotten much better about taking the 1/2 second to stop shooting and fix my damn stance if I blow it on an entry like that. Probably because I do it a lot more often than you, I get more practice.
I won an IDPA match once. It was neat.

#85 Lloyd Christmas

Lloyd Christmas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 12 September 2016 - 11:39 AM

Your video looked good! I understand the frustration with steel, I have newly developed a hatred for mini poppers. I have to re-convince myself every match that the extra .10 that it takes to insure a hit is always worth it, even if it feels slow in the moment. I'll be getting back to that mindset from here on out. Oh, and f*** stage 10, it hated me, as well as a few others. I shot poorly, and am surprised that I still placed even remotely well. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#86 WJM

WJM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • LocationS.L.U.T

Posted 12 September 2016 - 01:58 PM

You either burned steel down... or shot it like a C class baller. It's almost like I could toss a coin as you arrived to shoot steel, and either the "C" or "GM" side would get called.

I was going to comment on that awkward stance on the right side of stage 8, but you beat me to it. Feet all close together and shit.

I have gotten much better about taking the 1/2 second to stop shooting and fix my damn stance if I blow it on an entry like that. Probably because I do it a lot more often than you, I get more practice.

Yeah I agree. My steel is hit or miss, but when its on it is on like Donkey Kong. I need to work on that consistency. I think a main thing I will start incorporating especially in the winter is doing plate racks. I don't have to move (in Utah there is like 18 inches of snow most years) so I can set up two paper targets that I can enter on, and shoot 6 plates for a total of 10 rounds. Get used to shooting to 10 rounds on steel with 11 rounds in the gun. This will help a ton because I am assuming nationals is in St. George and they use steel a rather large amount. Either way I need to get better at using all my bullets in my mags to their full potential. 

As far as entering what I have found to help a ton is to take lots of little steps before I want to stop. It seems slow, but when you are running full tilt it seems to stop you faster and also helps a ton with getting in the correct low body position and correct feet position I want. But who knows that may be irrelevant to you. 

Your video looked good! I understand the frustration with steel, I have newly developed a hatred for mini poppers. I have to re-convince myself every match that the extra .10 that it takes to insure a hit is always worth it, even if it feels slow in the moment. I'll be getting back to that mindset from here on out. Oh, and f*** stage 10, it hated me, as well as a few others. I shot poorly, and am surprised that I still placed even remotely well. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks man! I agree. I need to learn to take that little bit extra time to make sure the sights are settled on steel. I think the biggest issue is its so hard to flow through a stage with steel. I practice my flow through a stage A TON. I never want to stop moving if I can help it, because I can't move as fast as other people. If I don't have to stop, I am saving time on people if that makes sense. Either way I have to learn to move faster and start and stop quicker, but its hard to flow on steel is basically what I am trying to say. I want to work on leaving on hard targets more. I used to practice it a ton but have become complacent in training and shooting. 

Yeah stage 10 was a bitch. I actually enjoyed it a ton, and I guess I must've gotten lucky. I didn't realize how good I did until I had someone come up to me like "HOW IN THE HELL DID YOU BURN THAT STAGE DOWN SO MUCH!?" Apparently I won that stage by like 30 percent or something. 

Wyatt

#87 Motosapiens

Motosapiens

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,516 posts

Posted 12 September 2016 - 02:04 PM

You probably don't need to take advice from me, but what has really helped my steel shooting this year is just being a little more patient on the first shot. If i get a good sight picture on the first shot of a group of steel targets, the rest of them seem much easier. 

2013 National Champion C class  Limited 10

#88 busdriver

busdriver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 12 September 2016 - 04:28 PM

I have a problem with steel lately. My natural inclination is to blaze like an idiot, that's why I shoot open. I've caught myself not actually watching the dot till the shot breaks. By the time my finger has made the gun go bang, my eyes are already on the way to the next target.

Visual patience is my new thing.

#89 WJM

WJM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • LocationS.L.U.T

Posted 12 September 2016 - 09:15 PM

I have a problem with steel lately. My natural inclination is to blaze like an idiot, that's why I shoot open. I've caught myself not actually watching the dot till the shot breaks. By the time my finger has made the gun go bang, my eyes are already on the way to the next target.

Visual patience is my new thing.

Thats the issue I am running into. The fastest way to transition and shoot is to be moving off of the target with your eyes, as you pull the trigger. The problem with this is on paper and partials you can pull off the target if you aren't excellent at this method. Or at least thats my experience with this. 

Probably another reason I suck at steel.

You probably don't need to take advice from me, but what has really helped my steel shooting this year is just being a little more patient on the first shot. If i get a good sight picture on the first shot of a group of steel targets, the rest of them seem much easier. 

I will gladly take advice from anyone! I wouldn't post on here if I didn't want feedback or tips! 

I will try that. I think grip also seems to help with me. If it is my first section of shooting, where I have a good grip because of the draw I almost always shoot better on steel. I think I will work on getting a better grip after reloads to help assure this, along with getting a better first sight picture on the first steel target. Thanks Mark!

Wyatt

#90 Lloyd Christmas

Lloyd Christmas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 12 September 2016 - 09:52 PM

For me it's all mental. There isn't a target at a USPSA match that I've seen yet that I can't hit if I give the target the amount of respect it deserves, both in sight refinement and trigger press. It's making yourself do that when using a little less than what you KNOW works 100% of the time still works like 75-80% of the time. Do you know what I mean? Like, if you just see the front sight and slap the trigger a little on a 15 yard mini popper, you might still hit it, but if you miss and don't refine your technique further in the moment and just keep trying in that same fashion, you might miss it 3 or 4 times or more before you hit it. I did that a few times on Saturday and it cost me at least one spot in the overall, in addition to other things I did poorly, but that was the worst and it happened on roughly half of the stages. So how do you overcome that? For me, I can refocus how much I need to see before my brain says "pull the trigger now" on steel in DF, and that has worked for me in the past. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Stubb likes this

#91 WJM

WJM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • LocationS.L.U.T

Posted 19 September 2016 - 03:05 PM

Stage 1- Went good. The unloaded start went really well, I had one make up on steel, which luckily was pretty quick. Messed up my plan a bit, but it ended up working alright in the end. 

Stage 2- Messed up my reload which cost me a ton of time and HF. I dropped 2 C's on the same target, but overall the draw and splits were good.

Stage 3- Too many C's and D's. I decided to do a stage plan that saved me a standing reload, but dropped an extra delta and couple charlies. Most of my points dropped were from close targets that I just wasn't watching my sights on. I can fix this with some patience on the sights.

Stage 4- Good stage. I think I took like 3rd overall. My time was solid, I think I could've taken the middle targets on the move better though. Also I had a slight trigger freeze which cost me time. I think my speed was good because of the short distances. I wanted to be able to shoot on the move while entering rather than having to start and stop fast and abrupt and not be able to flow as well.

Stage 5- Classifier. Sucked. too many make ups on steel.

Stage 6- Went good. Had a mike out of the first position. Again I decided to take a plan that saved me around 6 steps, and a standing reload, but it cost me a lot of points dropped. This cost me a lot of overall points, but in the end this stage was more for limited or open, they could go to the last position and shoot almost every target. When I shot it again in open I shaved 6 seconds, and won the overall time by a little over a second.

FWIW I like this match breakdown recent after the match. Keeps my mind on what happened, and I will be able to look back on it and digest what happened.

Wyatt

#92 WJM

WJM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • LocationS.L.U.T

Posted 20 October 2016 - 11:33 PM

Screen%20Shot%202016-10-20%20at%2011.11.

I took my offseason for the last month and a half or so. Well needed, well used, well deserved.

Practiced for the first time in a while today in live fire. Both my dad and I's guns are long overdue for a re springing, and so we ordered those last night. Still need them to get here but that should be soon.

Started on the Ron Avery dot drill (best 75 rounds you can spend at the range). I have never really had the most solid fundamentals, and I decided a little over a month ago when I train this year I will spend the first hundred or so rounds at the beginning of a practice working on the dot drill, and a combination of distance shooting.

After this I moved to shooting 2 shots at a target at 15 yards. Just working on seeing the gun track, shot calling, trigger press etc.

Set up drill found in the video below, worked on shooting on the move on the 18 yard target, and the 7 yard target, then running to the next position and doing a distance change up. Really really really helpful drill for what I was not most confident in. I was telling my dad it seemed like there was 4-5 times at matches this year where I changed my stage plan because I bitched out from shooting on the move at 10 yards much less 15. I feel much better, and after about 3 runs I was running very consistently at AC on a 15 yard target. For shits and giggles I ran it shooting everything static, shaved about .5 hit factor by shooting on the move so definitely a consistent advantage. ( I ran both ways static and moving 3 times and averaged the hit factors)

Finally I worked on shooting a bill drill on the move at 18 yards. Really helpful to track my sights better while on the move. I think my worst was 4C 2A, best was 5A1C. The 4C's were grouped REALLY tight just about 3 inches to the right side of the target and that was my second run on the drill.

Wyatt

#93 Lloyd Christmas

Lloyd Christmas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 21 October 2016 - 06:29 PM

Looked good Wyatt, and Dad looked solid too. Shooting on the move has always been a strength of mine, so I'll offer some unsolicited and possibly unwanted advice.

I'd say to try and move lower and faster, and shoot slower if necessary, but obviously don't make yourself shoot artificially or unnecessarily slow. The point of shooting on the move in USPSA is to cover ground, and how fast you split while covering that ground at a quicker tempo is irrelevant, because the limiting factor is the distance. As an example, at that distance, I would shoot the first target probably about how you did, but lower if possible, and then rush the second position, and break the shots later and probably the last shot right as you're about to settle for the set up. Just something to try out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Stubb likes this

#94 WJM

WJM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • LocationS.L.U.T

Posted 24 October 2016 - 08:15 PM

Looked good Wyatt, and Dad looked solid too. Shooting on the move has always been a strength of mine, so I'll offer some unsolicited and possibly unwanted advice.

I'd say to try and move lower and faster, and shoot slower if necessary, but obviously don't make yourself shoot artificially or unnecessarily slow. The point of shooting on the move in USPSA is to cover ground, and how fast you split while covering that ground at a quicker tempo is irrelevant, because the limiting factor is the distance. As an example, at that distance, I would shoot the first target probably about how you did, but lower if possible, and then rush the second position, and break the shots later and probably the last shot right as you're about to settle for the set up. Just something to try out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awesome man! Thanks for the advice. I tried them in the video practice below. Let me know what you think?

Went to practice shooting from left to right I figured I would record every run, and also record the time and points of every run. 

The good news is, my runs are very consistent. Having a standard deviation of about .5 on each way I ran the drill.

The first ten runs I ran it on the move from left to right, then did a position entry on the far target.

The next ten runs I ran it on the move left to right, then did a position entry on the easy target.

The result was a higher hit factor on the times I ran it far to near in the position entry, however a slower time by about a quarter of a second. On the 10 runs I did it close to far in the position entry I had on average 1 charlie more every run. Definitely interesting data that will help me break down stages.

There are still a few things I want to test on shooting on the move. Mainly backing up, and going forward while shooting on the move. Also a couple of small IPSC stages I have seen that I am going to build and run a few different ways to mess with hit factor.

Here is the hard data if anyone cares to view it.

Screen%20Shot%202016-10-24%20at%207.52.4

Wyatt

#95 WJM

WJM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • LocationS.L.U.T

Posted 26 October 2016 - 11:09 PM

Latest training. 

Decided I had enough of working on shooting on the move for a little while. Needed practice on leans and distance change up. 

Used a steel in the middle to shoot on the move to still work on my strengths.

Couple things I noticed:

1- I tended to get on average 1 C on each of the partials. I guess this is understandable and acceptable. They were about 10 yards and the no shoot was pretty intimidating. 

2- The thing that really pissed me off was the 1 shot pulled on either exiting or usually entering the position. I am gonna attack this in dry fire and fix this. Bullshit pulling C's on 5-7 yard targets.

3- Hit the steel about 85-90% of the time. I think I had 3 runs out of 22 or so that were an issue. 

4- Didn't run it right to left, although I think I will recreate this drill and do it again right to left. Really interesting drill that tested a ton.

5- Leans seemed to be really good. I pulled 1 no-shoot the whole day on the leaning target, and I called it immediately.

What to work on-

1- Exiting and entering a somewhat easy somewhat difficult target. I dunno. 5-7 yards should be burner distance but everything is tougher around a barricade and on the move.

Wyatt

#96 WJM

WJM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • LocationS.L.U.T

Posted 31 October 2016 - 10:24 PM

Didn't have the best training ever.

3 mikes, no no shoots, no deltas, a few charlies. 

Steel went a lot better. Still no where near where I want it to be, but definitely better than it has been in the past. I seem to also be moving faster than I used to. 

Position entry was better, which is surprising considering I haven't done any dry fire for it. Wasn't expecting it to be any better, but it was.

Things I need to do every time I shoot:

-Repeat phrase "Grip hard!"
-Repeat phrase "Watch Sights."

#97 WJM

WJM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • LocationS.L.U.T

Posted 01 November 2016 - 07:55 PM

9C6BF3C4-4EEF-4468-82BE-D2986066307A_zps

Thought a lot about it. Decided to stop doing 10 runs of each drill. While this does help get a more accurate average HF, Time, and Points I think that 5 runs will be better in the end.

Easier to stay focused on one drill for 5 runs, and I feel like I am wasting ammo when I run a drill 10 times.

Pictured is the next drill I will be running in practice. Steel to paper transitions will get tested a ton, along with having a wide stance in a low port, as well as wide transitions when I run it that way.

Wyatt

• Stubb likes this

#98 WJM

WJM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • LocationS.L.U.T

Posted 06 November 2016 - 08:10 PM

Dry fire video from a few days ago that I haven't posted because I am a slacker. 

Interesting to see just how much time was saved by bringing the gun in slightly. 

Match video. Shot pretty shitty. Had 1 no shoot for the match. Called it bad, made it up, took too much time on it, cost me even more points. Fuck me. 

Shot steel alright. One stage had 2 plate racks, and I got sun fucked HARD. Couldn't see the targets at all, cost me a good 15 seconds on the rest of the shooters. Thats ok though lesson learned.

Grip went good. Sights were good. 

Most of my charlies were due to the barrels covering most of the alpha zone, and the shots being best to take at the A-C-D area. Caused some points dropped, but I still was one of the most accurate at the match.

Wyatt

#99 WJM

WJM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • LocationS.L.U.T

Posted 12 November 2016 - 11:26 PM

Lots to update, so without further adieu.

Had to take a week off of working out and dry firing. 2 midterms, 3 big lab reports, and half a dozen assignments in college week didn't really fit in with a working out or dry firing schedule. Most days I got home about 2230 and just didn't have time.

Anyways I live fired Friday here is the video. Worked on shooting steel targets at about 13-14 yards away on the move, and then trying them from up closer and seeing what the variation in HF was. I found that on a good run (about 2-3/5) I would get a HF that was definitely un matchable from the more steps required to go up closer in the port. However, at that consistency it would only really make sense if the match was on the line and I needed to push it.

Granted its pretty uncommon to have 13 yard mini poppers on the move through a port but it still does test out some skills which I can call on later. I figure if I can shoot a 13 yard mini popper on the move laterally, anything else should be easy.

I also live fired Saturday. Worked on flow through a stage (this is what pops wanted to work on). This is actually in my opinion my biggest skill when compared to other people I have watched. I shot around 10 times to develop a good solid average that I could deliver every single time. That was around an 8.5 HF. 

Then I started to push it. I decided to just really turn up the heat on the first wide transition and just keep my legs moving smoothly at a low body style. I was able to push my hit factors up to 9.5 with somewhat consistency, and maxxed out at 10.5. Definitely a learning experience as to what my body and shooting can and can't do.

Wyatt 

#100 WJM

WJM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • LocationS.L.U.T

Posted 13 November 2016 - 12:26 AM

Oh! I ran that "GM test drill" it's basically 5 "2 @25" drills and a draw to the upper A zone. 53/55 So a passing score.

Still not very happy with my 25 yard SHO shooting though. Need to improve this a lot.

Wyatt

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users