WJM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • LocationS.L.U.T

Posted 13 November 2016 - 04:25 PM

Another day another practice. 

This one went pretty shit. Had a tough time with the back two targets. Kept pulling mikes or high charlies on the 17 yard IPSC targets with a no shoot under them.

Couldn't figure out why, drilled away at this drill. Anyways, at the end of the day I decided to shoot some SHO. Was shooting abnormally high on the target. Decided to check freestyle zero on my gun, gun was shooting 6 inches high.

Result, pissed off Wyatt who is laughing from the humor in all of this!

Extra result, made a change to my warm up routine.

Warm up:

-Zero Gun (10 rounds)

-Dot Drill (Ron Avery 75 rounds)
-Doubles at 15-20

Wyatt

#102 WJM

WJM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • LocationS.L.U.T

Posted 14 November 2016 - 05:40 PM

Spent about 2 hours deep cleaning my gun today. Figured I am going to do this every 2k rounds or so. It just seems to run better, and considering I am running about 2k rounds in 2 weeks its best to just get in a habit of doing this.

Dry firing low ports tonight, should be a fun one!

Wyatt

#103 WJM

WJM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • LocationS.L.U.T

Posted 19 November 2016 - 10:58 PM

Got to thinking about it, amazing that 2 years ago I started USPSA shooting. 

I've come quite a ways in 2 years, and today was the first day that I really noticed how to harness my aggression to get faster transitions into the alpha zone. I still need to work on calling my shots, but I noticed when I focused on being more aggressive on transitions and focusing on my body stance and grip I performed at a much higher level than when I was thinking of what to do.

Subconscious stages are very normal for me (I am not thinking about what to do during a stage) but thinking of these things pre stage will be interesting to try.

Also shortening my warm up drill, gonna do 10 rounds to sight in my gun , the, the 20 alpha drill at 25, 20, 15, 10.

20 Alpha Drill.

Wyatt

#104 WJM

WJM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • LocationS.L.U.T

Posted 20 November 2016 - 04:26 PM

I like the new warm up drill. Shorter, less rounds, and seems to help just as much by focusing on stance and trigger control.

Today worked on transitions and position entry and exit. Saw some real improvements by being more aggressive. Had 2 runs that I feel like were anomalies and just had random hits that I didn't normally make. 

Movement is getting better and I seem to be moving faster.

Wyatt

#105 MemphisMechanic

MemphisMechanic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 859 posts
  • LocationMemphis, TN

Posted 21 November 2016 - 12:29 PM

Spent about 2 hours deep cleaning my gun today. Figured I am going to do this every 2k rounds or so.

How far do you go into a Tanfo for deep cleaning?

I'm guessing you pull FP and block from the upper, and pop the safety levers, sear housing, and hammer/strut out of the lower.

I would be surprised if you're driving the extractor out of the slide and pulling out the trigger and trigger bar.
I won an IDPA match once. It was neat.

#106 WJM

WJM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • LocationS.L.U.T

Posted 21 November 2016 - 12:54 PM

How far do you go into a Tanfo for deep cleaning?

I'm guessing you pull FP and block from the upper, and pop the safety levers, sear housing, and hammer/strut out of the lower.

I would be surprised if you're driving the extractor out of the slide and pulling out the trigger and trigger bar.

That depends. Every 2k I am going to break it down to as you were saying. Sear, safety levers, hammer/strut, recoil rod/spring, barrel, firing pin/spring, and entire slide gets put in a can of diesel fuel overnight. Then it gets scrubbed to get carbon off of it, then it gets a brake clean job. 

Every 8k or so the gun is getting a new recoil spring and new trigger return spring, which in turn means breaking it down to trigger bar and TRS getting the same treatment as previously said.

Wyatt

#107 WJM

WJM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • LocationS.L.U.T

Posted 21 November 2016 - 08:40 PM

Dry fired tonight for about 20 minutes just working on trigger control and moving my gun to specific spots on targets. 

This seems to really be helping me. In contrast to specific drills I am doing what I have been told by National Champs and just focusing on getting to be more comfortable with my gun. I think working out my eyes to move to specific spots helps me be more active, and be more comfortable with my gun.

I need to have more focus on this, and do it in live fire. I am thinking of going to the range tomorrow and just working on my 3 round drill for transitions. I could get around a hundred reps in pretty quickly and just tape up the fliers.. Would be a really effective use of 300 rounds.

Wyatt

• Surfer and ralloway like this

#108 WJM

WJM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • LocationS.L.U.T

Posted 22 November 2016 - 11:17 PM

Live Fire- Today I did probably my favorite static shooting drill. I have done this drill now 3 times, and I learn something new every time. 

In an attempt to gain better skills at moving my eyes to specific locations on open targets, I did this drill. The results were phenomenal. I was able to not only speed up my transitions, but also gain consistency in where my gun was going to go. 

However, I did have some issues. The biggest one I see from watching myself on film is that my knees aren't bent enough, and I am transitioning too much with my upper body. While my knees do slightly move with my upper body, its not enough to really do the desired effect, and the result is far from perfect.

Dry Fire- Worked on the Hopkins drill for about 15 minutes with my knees more bent and focusing on transitions the gun with my eyes and knees. Saw big improvements in being able to hustle my eyes to the next target, and still stop the gun there without really forcing it to stop. It seemed when I focused more on reducing the momentum the transitions were smoother. 

Notes- Fixed my gun to have a larger grip on the right side. Allows me to still be production legal for weight, but gives me a better grip on the left side of the gun.

Noticed that I have never ever ever shot close to 25k rounds in a year that are specifically for training. In a little over 20 days I have shot 3,028 rounds of focused shooting and I feel like I haven't wasted a single round. I am learning more than ever and seeing bigger gains than ever.

Wyatt

#109 WJM

WJM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • LocationS.L.U.T

Posted 23 November 2016 - 09:55 PM

Good practice today. 

Live Fire- I probably made the drill a touch too difficult. Swinger was at 20 yards with an IPSC target, and we had a no shoot IPSC target with 1/4 of the A-Zone available at about 16 yards. Minis were at 15. Anyways, numbers aside it was a DAMN difficult drill to clean (no M's NS's D's). 

Good news is my steel work is really coming along. I found when I slowed down my draw just a small bit of a second, and got a really good sight picture on the first piece of steel the entire steel array goes excellent.

I also tried many different options to shoot this. Consistently I found the best method to be drawing to the mini poppers first. This gave a consistency on the steel array. I tried entering from a few steps away, and the result was the same. Now while I wouldn't want to leave on a small steel like that, entering for me is a good idea. Interesting to learn this, definitely worth the few hundred rounds spent today.

Ran the drill SHO, first couple runs were really solid, only a couple of make ups. Which, for this difficulty I am really happy with.

Dry Fire- Had to take guns apart and fix my grips so didn't dry fire.

Notes- Cleaned guns, fixed my grip so it isn't smooth, and hand checkered the left side grip. Doesn't look amazing, but is extremely functional.

Wyatt

#110 WJM

WJM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • LocationS.L.U.T

Posted 27 November 2016 - 02:38 PM

Shot a local match yesterday. Shot really well minus the classifier. Pulled some shots that I didn't see, but I can fix that pretty easily. I think I may have just been a little lazy on the sights.

The following are direct quotes from my handwritten training journal.

Things I did well:

-Called shots well.

-Shot on the move well when I focused on getting low into position. Almost have to do my walk throughs retardedly low to the ground to achieve maximum performance.
-Splits were good with good hits.

-Shot lots of alphas with few charlies.

-124 A, 2B, 14C, 2D, 1NS, 2M.
-1NS, 2M on classifier.

Things I can work more on:

-Execute shooting on the move during a match better.

-Shooting 15-20 yard zebra targets at speed. (use Alpha only IPSC targets)

-Reloads while running forwards.

-5 yard transitions to open targets.

86% of Local Limited GM (goal was 90% blew it on classifier).

Drills to do:

-Reload while moving forward. (Drill 9)

-Ben hoser drill (transitions?, Drill 8, Drill 10, Drill 11)
( something similar to this).
-Shooting on the move moving directly towards a target. (Drill 9)

-3-5 yard (between targets) target transitions. (Drill 8, Drill 10, Drill 11)

-Distance change up to shooting on the move. (Drill 9)

Wyatt

#111 LeadChucker

LeadChucker

CO

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,043 posts
  • LocationHC, Utah

Posted 27 November 2016 - 02:47 PM

Good stuff

#112 WJM

WJM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • LocationS.L.U.T

Posted 27 November 2016 - 03:28 PM

Good stuff

Thank you, sir!

Almost forgot to mention, I had one of the local GM's come up to me and say that my reaction time to the beep can be improved. I am going to research this and see how this can be better I think it is an easy way to shave a couple seconds a match. This may be caused by my double plugging of ear muffs because my hearing is already shit but I am gonna look into it.

Wyatt

#113 GooldMember

GooldMember

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 880 posts

Posted 27 November 2016 - 03:29 PM

Thank you, sir!

Almost forgot to mention, I had one of the local GM's come up to me and say that my reaction time to the beep can be improved. I am going to research this and see how this can be better I think it is an easy way to shave a couple seconds a match. This may be caused by my double plugging of ear muffs because my hearing is already shit but I am gonna look into it.

Wyatt

You will notice I said the same thing on the other thread haha

#114 LeadChucker

LeadChucker

CO

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,043 posts
  • LocationHC, Utah

Posted 27 November 2016 - 03:33 PM

Thank you, sir!
Wyatt

You have most likely heard this before, but listen for the START of the beep, not THE beep

Your left hand does look like it lags behind in the draw

#115 WJM

WJM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • LocationS.L.U.T

Posted 27 November 2016 - 03:34 PM

You will notice I said the same thing on the other thread haha

Lol! Well it seems if that many people notice it then I need to work on it. I think a lot of it is the fact that I take my time on the draw to ensure a good grip. I don't really draw all that fast, but I think I can improve the reaction time.

You have most likely heard this before, but listen for the START of the beep, not THE beep

Your left hand does look like it lags behind in the draw

Ok I will try this. I think working with the timer with my regular ear pro on will probably help this also.

Wyatt

#116 WJM

WJM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • LocationS.L.U.T

Posted 30 November 2016 - 08:32 PM

Update:

Snowed about 6 inches. So I built about 3200 rounds or so the last few days. Haven't been able to live fire so thats infuriating. And they have a match going on in St. George so that idea is out for this weekend.

Dry Fire 11-28-2016

-Worked on reaction time to get a quicker draw. 

-Fastest reaction time to hit buzzer = .26s

-Worked on static reloads, have to remember to tilt the gun on the specific angle for the Tanfoglio.

-Distance change up, when I get a good grip thats solid and use my eyes the distance is almost neglected at about that 7-15 I can dry fire them the same. Obviously splits change but interesting note from dry fire.

Dry Fire 11-29-2016

-Worked on getting reaction time quicker.

-Fastest reaction time = .20s avg = .22s

-Need to sharpen my focus to be on the start of the beep. Focus on it in dry fire so much that it becomes second nature in live fire.

-Still need to find a consistent spot for my arm during reloading and moving forward.

Dry Fire 11-30-2016

-Worked on moving reloads

-7/10 first mag flawless in a row

-10/10 second mag flawless in a row

-Crucial to get a consistent grip on the mag. Doesn't necessarily matter where the elbow is but the grip on the mag is crucial.

-Draws to strong hand are tough after 20 box jumps.

-Unloaded starts need a lot of work before perfected.

Wyatt

#117 WJM

WJM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • LocationS.L.U.T

Posted 02 December 2016 - 01:11 PM

Dry Fire 12-1-2016

-Worked on about 40 reps of perfect magazine grip from my mag pouch. 1st and 2nd pouches.

-Reloads go nearly perfect now, with a good grip on the magazine. Every reload I messed up (I think 3-45 last night) was due to a shitty grip on the magazine. I still think getting a consistent grip every time on the magazine will help cut stage times down. I am now able to get the reload done within the first step usually (my old goal was getting a reload done within 2 steps of a position).

-Worked on box steps with a paintcan in each hand, afterwards did 20 pushups. I did this 4 sets and in between did reloads and draws. This kind of caused heart rate increase and hands slipping will help a ton considering at a match I have a low heart rate and dry hands.

- Need to be working out my forearms more. Its not that my grip isn't strong but I know I can be improving it. I need to be getting back to farmer carry and spring tension devices for my forearms. 

Wyatt

#118 WJM

WJM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • LocationS.L.U.T

Posted 02 December 2016 - 06:29 PM

Guess I never posted this. Distance Change up to a 15 yard plate rack. At the time it took me what seemed like an insane long time to come up with a sight picture on the steel. 

I think I am better at it now, but I'd like to run the drill with the steel at 10 yards and open paper at like 5. I think I would learn more from that than from really easy to extremely hard. Kinda a really easy to medium difficulty.

Dry Fire 12-2-2016

-Brought out the jump rope and used the box step again. 
     - 50 jump ropes, then 20 push ups. 20 box steps, then 20 push ups. Repeat 3x.

-Wanted to artificially increase my heart rate to work trigger control at non optimal. 

- Results, trigger control was really good. Grip, while slippery because sweating, was still very solid and getting better. I worked really hard at getting a solid grip on the gun after the reload. This seemed to help my gun and eye movement a lot. I want to investigate this more and get a more consistent grip after a reload. My reloads seem to be smooth its the grip after.

-Worked some up and down transitions.

- Used the aluminum (stainless steel maybe?) hinges on a garage door to do up and down transitions. Helped a ton being able to move my gun that fast and just work on a little bit of speed for a change. I didn't always have my sights aligned, which is completely fine with me because I wasn't going for perfect sights I was going for complete balls to the wall speed.

Definitely one of my better practices all around.

Wyatt

#119 WJM

WJM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • LocationS.L.U.T

Posted 04 December 2016 - 10:22 PM

E937C40A-BB35-4326-9B29-AFE912F59AF6_zps

Update.

Wyatt