217 replies to this topic

#121 beerbaron

beerbaron

Shagga

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 857 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 05:09 AM

Just a small comment on vid #11 from a buster.

Now I know this was practive and you're shooting it in different orders to learn stuff but ideally I would shoot the right paper on the draw, then activator, then popper 3 (as you're waiting for the swinger to come out) then hit the swinger once as it goes into the dwell point to the right and again as its coming out of that dwell then hit popper 2 and popper 1.

All the other ways either had more transitions or waiting on the swinger and most had you shooting at least one shot at the swinger near the top of its swing. Assuming the barrel isn't covering it, it's preferable to trap the swinger at or near the dwell point where it changes direction.

This is probably basic shit that you know well so feel free to tell me to fuck off. I only mention it as you shot a few different plans on the vid but not the plan that I 'think' would have been fastest.

Rock on. :)
  • WJM likes this

#122 WJM

WJM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • LocationS.L.U.T

Posted 15 December 2016 - 01:59 PM

Just a small comment on vid #11 from a buster.

Now I know this was practive and you're shooting it in different orders to learn stuff but ideally I would shoot the right paper on the draw, then activator, then popper 3 (as you're waiting for the swinger to come out) then hit the swinger once as it goes into the dwell point to the right and again as its coming out of that dwell then hit popper 2 and popper 1.

All the other ways either had more transitions or waiting on the swinger and most had you shooting at least one shot at the swinger near the top of its swing. Assuming the barrel isn't covering it, it's preferable to trap the swinger at or near the dwell point where it changes direction.

This is probably basic shit that you know well so feel free to tell me to fuck off. I only mention it as you shot a few different plans on the vid but not the plan that I 'think' would have been fastest.

Rock on. :)

I agree on some points.

The partial on the far right (just outside of view from the camera) is around 15 yards and had about a fourth of the available A zone over a no shoot. I didn't really feel comfortable with the draw to that steel, tried it a few times that way, and the result was pretty inconsistent. It did show me that I need to work on my draw to those kinds of targets at that distance.

I do agree it would save a transition though! I am all about those little time savers. The swinger on the other hand was covered at its dwell point (to imitate matches like Area 2 that don't have a dwell point for the swinger), but I do agree I would much rather shoot it when it changes directions!

Thanks for commenting I appreciate it, hope I explained my thoughts well.

Wyatt

#123 WJM

WJM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • LocationS.L.U.T

Posted 03 January 2017 - 04:49 PM

Took 2 weeks off as I always do for Finals week and Death Week.

Started up my workout and dry fire schedule about 8 days ago. Been doing 45 minutes of cardio and dry fire Hopkins drill. I have found that by doing 5 minute bursts of cardio, followed by about 5 minutes of transition drills such as hopkins or my garage door hinge drill gives me a good workout along with a good eye workout. My main goal lately is just to get my eyes to work faster and snap to a specific point. If I can do this (with having the sights aligned while transitioning) my transition time seems to be shaved by about .05 every transition. Big gains for me.

Been eating healthier. More vegetables less chimichanga's ;)

Area 1 is in 88 days.

Production Nationals is in 290 days give or take. Depends if the rumor I have heard from a close friend is accurate.

Haven't really been able to live fire. We just got about 9 inches of snow. I think I MAY shoot indoors to get some dot drills in, but that is only if I can save up some money. Indoor ranges are fucking expensive.

Wyatt

#124 WJM

WJM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • LocationS.L.U.T

Posted 08 January 2017 - 06:32 PM

In dry fire today I worked on distance change up. Found that when I am transitioning to the right it is crucial to think about dropping my left knee and that not only speeds up my transition tremendously but also improves consistency on a similar scale.

Big gain for me, and now when I shoot matches I will be able to identify something else that I can attack on every stage and figure out more exactly how to shoot a stage.

Also upped my rep count for biceps and forearms. Now I am doing with a 25# weight 15 reps for Bicep curls each arm, and 50 reps on forearms. x5 for the whole workout along with 100 jump ropes x5.

I have 3 different workouts and this is one of them. Seems to be working good for me.

#125 WJM

WJM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • LocationS.L.U.T

Posted 23 January 2017 - 04:43 PM

Made this video for a friend/student of mine that wanted some help with Table Start options.

Made this video to just kinda highlight how my typical dry fire works. Usually with about 5 minutes in between each serious time jump on the par time so this was nice to see.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_S9oM1bPZs

Got in another practice after this video, unfortunately the camera shit itself when I was going to record. It was standards so kinda boring anyways but I learned a lot and have the scores on Practiscore below.

https://practiscore....f5-35969f2eab7b

Anyways I am finding a lot better ways to record my practice sessions such as Practiscore and keeping track in my training journal.

Wyatt

#126 WJM

WJM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • LocationS.L.U.T

Posted 23 January 2017 - 10:58 PM

Dry fired for an hour today. Worked mainly on moving out of a position and then a wide transition to another target that I would take on the move, then running as fast as I could to a port. I think this needs a lot of work so I will be working on this for the next few days.

Worked out for about 45 minutes, but was pretty tired from the running in dry fire so I wasn't able to do a full 5 sets of my workout routine, did complete 3/5 though.

Shooting a match this Thursday, should be fun I am gonna stay away from my competition gear at these matches as I can't properly see my front sight and it is teaching me bad habits, but its the perfect place for my CCW gear. Should be exciting.

Planning a live fire training session this weekend. Gonna practice with the main match builder for SUPS and 4 division GM sometimes bad ass and my pops who is always a bad ass. Should be a fun 3 days of kicking ass and getting lots better. I am planning to bring about 2k rounds or so and plan on shooting them all. Its gonna be nice to be able to wake up, shoot guns, have lunch, shoot guns, take break, shoot guns, go to bed, rinse repeat. I will probably be doing a lot more physical stuff because they have such big bays that I can work with, and I can keep whatever I have set up for the 3 days I am there so its a win win. 

Need to plan out specifically what I want to work on.

I am thinking I will run this at least 10 times.. 

Some of this to work more on transitions and wide transitions

Then a couple of Ben's drills from his live fire pistol book.

Wyatt

• Stubb likes this

#127 WJM

WJM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • LocationS.L.U.T

Posted 30 January 2017 - 12:38 PM

So it has been an eventful few days.

Here is my match footage from the indoor match around here. I shot it with my carry gear, and holy shit it is tough to reload from a velcro pocket. Other than that, my sights on my carry gun need to have a fiber optic front. The standard Glock sights suck ass.

Fun match though, and my draw was very consistently good.

This was my first practice on Saturday. This was a good drill from Ben's book. Really tough to do consistently, and having to stop really quickly and post up was difficult combined with having to leave quickly on that target was even more difficult than I thought it would be. 

Hits were generally good on the outside targets, but were very inconsistent on the middle target. Luckily, I know what I need to work on in dry fire and I will be able to target this very well.

The later practice I didn't get much footage of, but I was extremely lucky to be able to practice with a couple of the instructors from Tactical Performance Center and we all worked on transitions around barricades. I learned a ton and learned how to do the drill mentioned in the next video.

So one of my really good friends named Sam Travis helped me out and taught me how he trained. Basically you start by going as fast as humanly possible, followed by an all alpha run, and then followed by dissecting your shooting and trying to figure out where you can push and where you need to take a step back. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0ZJeMQdSyc

Anyways, it was a good weekend, I learned a lot, and will have a better idea of how to train in dry fire and live fire.

Wyatt

#128 MemphisMechanic

MemphisMechanic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 863 posts
  • LocationMemphis, TN

Posted 30 January 2017 - 03:22 PM

Regarding a fiber front on a carry gun...

Warren Tactical makes a front sight that has a big bold white outline around a tritium dot in a front (night) sight that works halfway as well as a fiber in good lighting, from my experience... but unlike a fiber it actually does something useful in low light.

I know we poopoo on all things tactically operational here on Doodie, but the fact is you're much more likely to need that gun in really low light as opposed to at high noon, when a F.O. front would do you any good.

I'm sure you probably feel differently. I know sights are one of those highly personal things that no two skilled shooters seem to agree on - like recoil springs and 124 vs 147gr bullets.
I won an IDPA match once. It was neat.

#129 GuanoLoco

GuanoLoco

Minister of Culture

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,245 posts
  • LocationMy Safe Space

Posted 01 February 2017 - 06:01 PM

I solved the problem by attending a night class to learn what worked.  Now I EDC competition black rear/FO front sights that I am most comfortable with, plus a very nice and cost-effective PT1L flashlight.  

My strong hand operates my primary weapon system while my other strong hand indexes the flashlight to my squared off jaw, illuminating both sights and target.

Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

You'll never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

In Doodie, Veritas.

"You might be a little thin-skinned for this forum". -Scott.

#130 Sprewell

Sprewell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,578 posts
  • LocationBanned

Posted 01 February 2017 - 06:07 PM

Regarding a fiber front on a carry gun...

Warren Tactical makes a front sight that has a big bold white outline around a tritium dot in a front (night) sight that works halfway as well as a fiber in good lighting, from my experience... but unlike a fiber it actually does something useful in low light.

I know we poopoo on all things tactically operational here on Doodie, but the fact is you're much more likely to need that gun in really low light as opposed to at high noon, when a F.O. front would do you any good.

I'm sure you probably feel differently. I know sights are one of those highly personal things that no two skilled shooters seem to agree on - like recoil springs and 124 vs 147gr bullets.

That sounds kind of like the Trijicon HD sights which I have on all my face shooting guns.

#131 WJM

WJM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • LocationS.L.U.T

Posted 09 February 2017 - 09:22 AM

Steel is better. I threw a couple of good runs along with a couple of bad ones in this video. 

Need more consistency, but overall I am really happy with how I have been shooting steel. I've put a lot of work into shooting steel better, and I think its showing a lot. 

My reloads look a lot better as well.

One other thing I have noticed with steel. I shoot steel best when I am extremely focused on grip and fundamentals. If I lose those I tend to fuck up everything. Now that I think about it thats true pretty much always.

What do I know anymore.

Wyatt

#132 WJM

WJM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • LocationS.L.U.T

Posted 09 February 2017 - 09:30 AM

Notes from this last week:

Been dry firing every day and have a new method of dry fire. I have found the best way to dry fire for me is to intently focus for 5-15 minutes. I am talking INTENSE focus on front sight, INTENSE focus on gripping as hard as humanly possible that type of thing. Really focusing on how my mags drop out, how my hand grips the new mag, that type of thing. 

If I do this 4-6 times a day I get a lot more out of dry fire than if I do an hour in a row or even two 30 minute sessions. So that is a positive for me.

Another reasoning of mine behind this is in a match I am looking for intense focus for 5-10 minutes, not necessarily for an hour. If I can get used to more intense focus for shorter bursts it will improve my performance.

Area 1 is 7 weeks out, Nationals is around 230~ days or so and I have shot just over 7k rounds so far in preparation for these matches. I plan on getting a hair over 12k for Area 1 and hoping for 50k for Nationals. The exact number is unimportant, its more that knowing that my average practice session live fire results in 336.4 rounds being shot I know that to practice what I want to practice thats how many sessions I would need and thats how many rounds those sessions would result in.

Anyways another development is I am talking with BNels about his preparations for World Shoot and I am gonna apply some of his training schedule to mine and build a more regimented one than what I currently have. Not that I think mine is necessarily bad I just think it can be improved.

Wyatt

#133 MemphisMechanic

MemphisMechanic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 863 posts
  • LocationMemphis, TN

Posted 09 February 2017 - 10:06 PM

...extremely focused on grip and fundamentals. If I lose those I tend to fuck up everything. Now that I think about it thats true pretty much always.

What do I know anymore.

"Advanced techniques are nothing more than the basics mastered."

http://budobum.blogs...niques.html?m=1
I won an IDPA match once. It was neat.

#134 peterthefish

peterthefish

Banned.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,999 posts

Posted 10 February 2017 - 10:50 AM

Steel is better. I threw a couple of good runs along with a couple of bad ones in this video.

Need more consistency, but overall I am really happy with how I have been shooting steel. I've put a lot of work into shooting steel better, and I think its showing a lot.

My reloads look a lot better as well.

One other thing I have noticed with steel. I shoot steel best when I am extremely focused on grip and fundamentals. If I lose those I tend to fuck up everything. Now that I think about it thats true pretty much always.

What do I know anymore.

Wyatt

WTF? On your second run the 4th plate starts to fall before you shoot at it. Is there a grassy knoll I'm missing?

#135 WJM

WJM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • LocationS.L.U.T

Posted 10 February 2017 - 10:53 AM

"Advanced techniques are nothing more than the basics mastered."

http://budobum.blogs...niques.html?m=1

I like it. Good read thank you Memphis.

WTF? On your second run the 4th plate starts to fall before you shoot at it. Is there a grassy knoll I'm missing?

Wind. At the range I go to winds of 20+ mph aren't uncommon and sometimes plates fall on their own. Watching the slo mo amazingly enough I hit it so I guess I got lucky.

#136 WJM

WJM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • LocationS.L.U.T

Posted 10 February 2017 - 11:00 AM

Went shooting yesterday, focused on standards. 27 yard IPSC targets and 12 yard partials are really damn difficult with SHO and WHO. Not bad at all with freestyle, so I can tell my freestyle stance grip trigger control are getting to be really good. I was shooting really good splits and transitions with freestyle and I am VERY happy and proud of this because I have been working hard on it.

I know I need to work on WHO and SHO. My SHO actually isn't complete dog shit. I shot 2 mikes yesterday SHO, and a lot more WHO. Granted, 27 yard IPSC targets are nothing to fuck with. I can still learn a TON from WHO practice.

Also worked on pistol spinners that are going to be at Berry's Steel Open, that went good.

Modded some Taran Tactical Basepads for a Glock to fit my Tanfo, and it gives me 20+1 9mm which is perfect for this weekend at Berry's Steel Open.

Put some grip tape on my Tanfo, and while I eventually want Epoxy and grit, this grip tape will work for now. I superglued the edges and I think it will hold up for a couple of weeks. Hell maybe until A1.

Wyatt

#137 WJM

WJM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • LocationS.L.U.T

Posted 13 February 2017 - 01:45 PM

Shot the Berry's Steel open. 

Overall not an excellent finish for me. Finished around 80% of Nils with a few fucked up issues on Tuesday Night Steel stages. I was able to stick with Nils and Krogh through a lot of the stages, but on a few of them I just fucked up. On one of them my gun lost its fiber optic mid stage and it really fucked me over but I got it fixed.

Anyways. 

I am ready to start shooting more USPSA. We have a match this weekend that I should be able to get some footage of to dissect and figure out what I need to stop doing, and what I need to start doing. I know that just watching my own Berrys Steel Open footage I saw an improvement in how I move and flow. There were quite a few situations where I shot small steel on the move, and was able to flow even on those stages. That to me is a huge improvement for the results and I am very happy with that. 

I still need to be able to turn on the one for one steel a little more. I shot limited, and as a result I started hosing a bit more but its my fault.

My hand started having a really fucked up callus on my middle finger. As a result it was a pain in the ASS to grip my gun. And as a result of this I had to wear tape and bandages which fucked up my grip most of the day.

Another good note is that my dry chalk worked even in the rain, and that combined with grip tape on my metal grips resulted in an extremely good situation to grip the gun.

I will have more updates Wednesday after I live fire Dots on Tuesday night, then also Friday after I shoot our indoor match on Thursday, and then Saturday night after the match. If it doesn't snow after the match I am hoping to be able to shoot one of the stages and break it down and work on components of the stage.

Wyatt

#138 WJM

WJM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • LocationS.L.U.T

Posted 14 February 2017 - 10:53 PM

Still experimenting how to leave a position faster. I have had some success forcing myself to focus on being aggressive while leaving, but I honestly have to think about it. Its yet to become subconcious yet. I know Charlie Perez grunts to remind himself to move faster, and when I have done this it has helped a lot. 

More experimenting is necessary though.

Overall a really good day of shooting, and I learned a ton by having my dad be able to diagnose whats wrong and figure out better ways to do it.

I think by getting lower while exiting I could accomplish this.

Example 1- 

https://youtu.be/CJqYPX776eo?t=41s

Example 2- 

https://youtu.be/1w88g0g6FPY?t=1m8s

Example 3-

https://youtu.be/PG4v7jLW18c?t=4m9s

Wyatt

• Stubb and GuanoLoco like this

#139 SlivGod

SlivGod

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 659 posts
  • LocationThe Good Land

Posted 15 February 2017 - 08:25 AM

Still experimenting how to leave a position faster.

I've been working on the same lately. I've found that taking one or two shorter steps, like sprinters do coming off the blocks, works best (for me, anyways). Still trying to get it to a point of being subconscious.

"Forget the necessities, it's the luxuries I can't live without." 

#140 WJM

WJM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • LocationS.L.U.T

Posted 15 February 2017 - 08:30 PM

I've been working on the same lately. I've found that taking one or two shorter steps, like sprinters do coming off the blocks, works best (for me, anyways). Still trying to get it to a point of being subconscious.

I may try that. I think a good thing for me may be to pump one arm sideways to get momentum moving. At the same time I have to realize that it is all about physics, its harder to gain momentum when you weigh more and that definitely is a portion of it. Although I have a similar build to Chris Tilley which is why I was trying to diagnose him.

Practice session #19 before Nationals. Today my dad and I worked on position entry. Normally I would shoot both poppers before engaging the open paper, however surprisingly this resulted in the most inconsistent result mainly due to not being able to see the left mini popper before you fully get into the position.

Good drill to work on, and definitely incorporates a lot of different things such as distance change up, shooting on the move, position exit, other things.

Shot 209 rounds.

Wyatt

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users