#161 WJM

WJM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • LocationS.L.U.T

Posted 13 March 2017 - 06:29 PM

Worked on 50 yard open targets today. Mainly Bill Drills with the occasional El Prez. 

Learned a TON from today's practice session. 50 yards really teaches me visual patience, and knowing just how much or how little I need the sights to settle down before I fire the round again.

It was helpful to learn that, and then move forward and do a few 20 yard bill drills and try it there. I was able to get .35 splits at 20 yards with very good regularity all in the alpha or close charlie zone.

Granted I threw a metric fuck ton of mikes at 50, but near the end of the day I learned how to do that.

Also learned that in order to win at 50 yards you need to have a relaxed grip, and just let the gun cycle again. When I would introduce strong grip I would fuck up the trigger and then proceed to mess up the stage. So this was a fantastic learning thing.

Learned a lot about my trigger control, and I think I will start doing a lot more shooting at 50 yards. I see the massive benefits to it, and although its a bitch to walk 100 yards every time you shoot I still end up learning more at 50 than I do at any other distance. All I can think of is everything is magnified at that distance and the slightest fuck up ruins the whole stage.

Area 1 stages were posted today, and they look difficult. Not impossible, but difficult. 

Almost every stage has a zebra target with hardcover or no shoots so I know that what I am practicing will pay massive dividends. 

Tomorrow I am working on partials and SHO with Kenny. Should be able to post footage tomorrow, today I didn't record any because who wants to watch someone shoot 50 yard targets.

Wyatt

• Stubb likes this

#162 Sweet T

Sweet T

Glock Master Race

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 07:09 PM

I still end up learning more at 50 than I do at any other distance. All I can think of is everything is magnified at that distance

This is the absolute truth
  • WJM likes this

#163 WJM

WJM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • LocationS.L.U.T

Posted 13 March 2017 - 08:17 PM

This is the absolute truth

For some reason I guess I thought that I had learned the lesson at 50. But every single time I shoot at 50 yards I learn something new.

Guess thats just something to jot down for future knowledge so I don't keep fucking up and forgetting.

Wyatt

#164 Lloyd Christmas

Lloyd Christmas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 10:41 PM

Good to hear you're practicing and learning a lot still. I practiced with Panda on Saturday, and then by myself on Sunday. I did all plate rack work on Sunday, between 10-25 yards, and it's really interesting how more focus you need with every few steps back you take. See you in St. George in a few weeks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#165 WJM

WJM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • LocationS.L.U.T

Posted 14 March 2017 - 09:17 PM

Today I went to the range with Kenny. 

We shot partials for most of the day. I decided to shoot them a little bit different than the standard two each target, and mixed in a lot of 3 shots a target, 4 shots a target, 1 shot a target, front to back, back to front, right left back type of thing. 

I believe this helped me a ton by focusing on what I need to do for every shot. I am still having a tough time with less than half the alpha zone available on a diagonal hard cover target at 20 yards. Every time I think I have that target down I end up fucking it up again. 

I was shooting honestly pretty damn good. I won't pretend that I didn't have any mikes or deltas but I was ecstatic about my performance so I decided to shoot another 200 rounds. I learned a lot!

I shot primarily strong hand only and freestyle since that is the standards at Area 1, and what I found is that I rush the freestyle portion on a standards and the resulting hits are dog shit. I really need to focus on freestyle when doing a SHO standards. All I can think of that is causing this is subconsciously my brain is telling me that I can go faster on freestyle so I proceed to mess it up. The great news is my SHO was superb. I shot lights out, and I am entirely confident I can shoot any target SHO that Area 1 could possibly give me. I was nailing the alpha zone out of that 20 yard 1/3 of an alpha partial hardcover target with consistency.

The last thing I learned is I need to keep a camelback water pouch in my bag all the time. Usually I take a 60 ounce diet soda with me to the range, but thats just not enough fluids for extended periods of time. From now on I will take a camelback, along with diet soda and a gallon of water if the day permits.

Wyatt

Edit: Today was the most rounds I have shot in one practice, and it was an even 500. And as of today I have shot 11,957 rounds since October 26, 2016.

#166 WJM

WJM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • LocationS.L.U.T

Posted 16 March 2017 - 12:20 AM

Today worked on 50 yard bill drills again, this time with Robert.

Since I have been doing this a lot, I proved to myself that I could do it again by going at a controlled pace.

Then I decided to experiment with my shooting skill and just see what would happen depending on my focus or sight acquisition. I learned that when I was almost completely target focus my misses went higher, however not as high as I would've expected. When target focus I tended to get between 1-3 mikes. Which while still not perfect I was expecting more like 4-5 mikes a string.

Obviously I wouldn't ever do this in a match, but it was interesting experimenting with that.

Then we did partials at approximately 18 yards. They were pretty difficult, (I'd say more difficult than we really should've done) but its whatever can't change what happened. Anyways, as a result I was aiming off them pretty hard (no shoots) and the result was a few mikes, and lots of shots to the head. I need to work on my patience when transitioning to partials.. I now have a speed in which I am REALLY happy with transitions, but the problem is I have to know when to put the brakes on and control it. I think I know ways to do that but I really need to work on it more. I think Friday I will work on a 5 target set up with No shoots on the targets instead of them being wide open. That will help me drive and slow down a lot for transitions.

Only shot 200 rounds today. My hands were smoked from yesterdays dry fire and 500 round live fire. I don't know how people can live fire every day and dry fire thats just fucking crazy. I can do one or the other, but anymore than that combined with loading ammo is just plain insane.

Wyatt

#167 WJM

WJM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • LocationS.L.U.T

Posted 17 March 2017 - 10:03 PM

Yesterday pops and I set up the first ThNS match. It took us about an hour to stake in all the stuff and set it up. I was very pleased with how it set up, and figured it would shoot good.

Decided to set up Stage 11 for Area 1, which is 4 targets. The left 2 targets get 4 rounds each, then reload and the right two targets get 4 rounds each.

I was able to shoot this fairly consistently about a 11 hit factor, but I was able to get glimpses of a 12.5-13.5 hit factor which means the HHF will be about a 12 I think. It was tough to shoot it that fast while keeping all the points so I would be surpised to see it happen at that hit factor. But its certainly possible. I learned a lot about reloads and split consistency. For example, I am able to keep most the shots in the alpha zone with consistency at .18-.23 splits, but they go to shit at .15-.18 splits. Dunno why exactly I am doing the same trigger control, all I can think of is to get the faster splits the result is a looser grip and thats what happens. Maybe increasing grip strength with Captains of Crush will help by having a looser grip but with more in reserve like Ron Avery talks about. But thats just a though.

Anyways, shot Thursday Night Steel, shot twice. Took 3rd and 4th place. My times were .18 seconds apart for each run, so consistency wise I am EXTREMELy proud and happy with how I shot. Being MD takes a toll, and it definitely wasn't my optimum performance but I know that my steel shooting is going a lot better. My Ghost mag pouches still are giving me fits. Tomorrow before the match I have to tighten them down again otherwise they will twist all around 360 degrees and fuck up all my reloads. Other than that though the match went good and I shot very good.

Today I shot 300 rounds on the standards stage from A1. I shot it initially thinking the HHF would be about 6.0 or so. Then I was able to push it to about 7.5 by using sight focus only on the strong hand only targets. Then I was able to figure out a way to shoot the SHO targets faster, but still getting good hits. The best score of the day for me was a 7.835 hf but of course that could've been improved on points. Then again they could set it up different than how I did, resulting in a higher or lower HHF, or who knows my standards game could be off.

Anyways, I learned a lot about trigger control and how to manipulate it. Since it is only freestyle and SHO it makes the stage slightly easier, but also means they can make the targets more difficult. I thought the challenge was definitely enough, and that it is a very good stage to test standards skills. I am excited!

I am feeling more and more ready for A1. Tomorrow is my last match before A1, and my goal is to just watch my sights and calm down before every stage. I want to induce as much match pressure as I can during the match, so to me every stage will be the last stage of the match. If I win it, I win the match. If I fuck it up, I lose the match.

No match or practice footage. At the match I was busy taking money and shooting, and practice would be what most people would consider boring stand and shoot stuff.

Wyatt

#168 WJM

WJM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • LocationS.L.U.T

Posted 18 March 2017 - 08:17 PM

Stage 1: Classifier. Too many Bravo's, wasn't focused enough on the alpha zone. My bad.

Stage 2: Good news, I nailed every single reload, and the load from the table. Bad news, I edged a no shoot trying to transition to quickly. In a way this is good news for me because it really taught me the lesson that I need to aim off of no shoots. I have a really hard time forcing myself to shoot charlies, but sometimes its better to shoot a charlie and not get a no shoot than to get a no shoot and fuck up the whole stage.

Stage 3: I designed this one, and ended up fucking myself. The far back partial was a alpha mike (still having issues not aiming off the partial enough), then I had a random mike while shooting supine. In hindsight I probably wouldn't have shot supine at this match specifically because I had never tested it out before in live fire or dry fire... 

But then again... 

Stage 4: First stage of the day, pretty simple. 1 make up on steel, but was able to keep with all the big boys stage times on this stage. Overall good.

Stage 5: Had a mike on the middle partial target. Still made the error of not aiming off the hardcover enough, and pegged this one an inch in or so. Shot steel really good, and only dropped 1 C on this whole stage. Yay!

Stage 6: Pretty good stage. Unfortunately too many make ups for a seriously good time, but I shot some really far targets on the move. I think in all honesty they were a little too far for me to comfortably take on the move (15-18 yards) on rough terrain is just tough. My sights were bouncing all around and the result was a make up shot to pick up what would've been a mike. I had a really fast time on this though and shot the partials very well.

I noticed a few things from this match. Most of the partials I shot the same speed as open targets which is fantastic. This bit me in the ass because of the lack of preparation though I had for each stage. Normally at majors given a day to walk through stages I can figure out aiming points on every target and figure out the safe spot to aim. Given 5 minutes I have to rush that process and thats what caused 3/4 penalties for the day for me. This can be fixed, and isn't an issue. 50 yard bill drill trigger control will also help this, but I think focusing on 15 yard partials and really focusing where to aim will help the most.

My reloads went fantastic, and I am able to shoot points at a speed which I never have been able to before. I only had 13 C's for the whole day (6 stages) which is fantastic, and I know that I am ready for Area 1. I plan on live firing 5 more times before A1, however one of those really will just be a final chrono and sighting the gun in. The other 4 will be partials and long distance trigger control.

Wyatt

#169 WJM

WJM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • LocationS.L.U.T

Posted 20 March 2017 - 09:27 PM

Went to the range today with a goal of shooting 50 yard bills and partials, and really focusing on trigger control.

Spent about 20 rounds sighting my gun in, and noticed my grip was loose. Decided to tighten it, and boom, grip screw snapped in half.

So I spent the rest of the time shooting strong hand only at 50 yards, and learned a ton. Turned a bad situation into a pretty good one actually! Not optimal by any stretch, but hey it worked. I threw a few mikes, but I learned a ton about my grip and trigger control and I definitely challenged myself more than I have before.

Then for shits and giggles I tried my best to make do a freestyle grip with a grip panel missing and I was able to shoot much more easily into the alpha zone at 50 having worked with SHO trigger control>

Wyatt

#170 WJM

WJM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • LocationS.L.U.T

Posted 21 March 2017 - 07:16 PM

Took my gun to a machinist tonight..

Good news, the gun will be ready Saturday, and should be 100% fixed.

Bad news, the gun won't be ready until Saturday. 

Which means I will have to transition dad's back up Tanfo to take my grips so I can at least dry fire with it for the next few days, otherwise I won't be practicing hardly at all. Which also means that I will have to use my dads current gun for live fire, which kinda sucks but its definitely better than nothing. 

I had originally planned to stop live fire on Saturday, however after learning I won't get my gun back until Saturday I will need to be practicing Sunday and Tuesday. Its not a big deal at all, so I am not really that pissed. More pissed I never thought to change out a grip screw or at least check it.

Wyatt

#171 MemphisMechanic

MemphisMechanic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 860 posts
  • LocationMemphis, TN

Posted 21 March 2017 - 07:48 PM

Look on the bright side: if you have to switch to the backup gun at a major this year, now you'll have confidence in it because you were forced to use it and you'll be familiar with it.
I won an IDPA match once. It was neat.

#172 Fishyjoe

Fishyjoe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 633 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 09:09 AM

More pissed I never thought to change out a grip screw or at least check it.

Wyatt

I never knew this was a thing. To the best of your knowledge what was the cause? Hulking grip? Poor design? Defective screw? Curious that's all.

#173 WJM

WJM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • LocationS.L.U.T

Posted 22 March 2017 - 10:41 AM

I never knew this was a thing. To the best of your knowledge what was the cause? Hulking grip? Poor design? Defective screw? Curious that's all.

Probably a combination that it as the stock grip screw (Tanfoglio anything stock is complete shit), and me absolutely cranking the torque to tighten my grip. Since I use it so much my grips regularly come loose, plus I clean my gun more often than most. Which means multiple layers of blue loctite that only kinda works.

That, and combined with the fact that I grip like a fucking gorilla probably is what causes it. And I am kinda mean to my equipment.

We tried welding the screw out last night, that didn't work.

Anyways, in other updates I got captains of crush grippers and found out I don't grip the gun hard enough. Ron Avery is able to grip consistently with a 1.5 amount of strength, and I can BARELY close the 1.0. So thats awesome.

Definitely something that WONT be done before A1, but I think its possible for Nationals and A3. I can see the advantage of it, so thats good.

Wyatt

#174 WJM

WJM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • LocationS.L.U.T

Posted 22 March 2017 - 10:42 AM

Look on the bright side: if you have to switch to the backup gun at a major this year, now you'll have confidence in it because you were forced to use it and you'll be familiar with it.

True. Except since we don't have a backup Titan hammer that gun requires a heavier hammer spring, which means naturally it has like an 18lb trigger.. Its iight though. Gotta work through it.

Wyatt

#175 MemphisMechanic

MemphisMechanic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 860 posts
  • LocationMemphis, TN

Posted 22 March 2017 - 12:38 PM

I'm glad for the data point on your CoC grip strength. I'm not a big guy - 6ft and 180 when I'm fit. But I'm a heavy equipment mechanic, so gripping heavy things is literally my job.

A buddy who is a personal trainer and who doesn't have an ounce of fat on himself can barely close the 1.5 twice... without doing any grip training my "out of shape" grip strength is to smoothly close the 1.5 for about 8 to 10 reps before I begin shaking.

Most normal to big guys who have a normal person's job have to fight to close a 1.0
I won an IDPA match once. It was neat.

#176 WJM

WJM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • LocationS.L.U.T

Posted 23 March 2017 - 09:04 AM

Went to the range yesterday. The video above was after we had finished training for the day and I was dicking around with trying to figure out how fast I could go at 25 yards and still maintain hits on A/C zone area. Turns out a 2.5 second bill drill at 25 yards is about my max. I think both runs I had 3+ C's but it was nice knowing I could go that fast. I do think with my gun (not my dads gun which is my backup) I could probably get 4/5 alphas at that speed. But alas it wasn't meant to be.

Yesterdays main focus was trigger control. We started with 50 yard group shooting, and I shot about a 5 inch group freestyle, and maybe a 12 inch group SHO. Then we did a few bill drills SHO and freestyle at 50 yards really focusing on trigger control. Since I had a backup gun it wasn't the most ideal option for me, but I still learned a ton about trigger manipulation.

Then we moved up to 25 yards and started to work more on speed and experimenting with SHO options. Found the best option is to start in a already forward position with your right leg, shoot freestyle, then move the left leg back more to result in a optimal shooting stance for SHO. The problem with starting in a normal shooting stance (left leg slightly forward of right leg) for me was that by the time the reload is done (quickly hopefully) my leg is hitting the ground and my front sight shakes all around and it would fuck up my hits. The solution went good though.

Wyatt

#177 WJM

WJM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • LocationS.L.U.T

Posted 26 March 2017 - 04:43 PM

Friday I went with dad to practice swingers. We did the normal drill I do to work on swingers which is the Bob Vogel 6 shots on a pass drill. I was able to get this pretty consistently with 3 alphas 3 charlies. Anyways, I was able to work at this a few times and then I was able to consistently track my sights into the alpha zone and get A's at speed while the swinger was swinging instead of tracking.

Saturday it rained but we decided to go anyways. I shot my dads backup gun, and we learned that its barrel is shot out. Fucker wouldn't even group a headshot at 15 yards, so thats fun. Need to send it back to EAA and maybe buy a new slide and barrel or something. 

Switched over to my dads current gun, and the hammer and sear failed. Gun went to hammer follow, so we priority ordered a new hammer and sear and gonna put that in Wednesday (leave Thursday for A1).

Today I went on my own and shot what we call the Mark Waki Drill. Basically you set up every partial you could see at a match or you're most likely to see. IE zebra, partial hardcover on angle, no shoot halfway on target, and then no shoot on the shoulder in the alpha zone. You start at 35 yards and shoot each target twice, then move to 25 yards and shoot them twice, then move to 15 yards and shoot them twice. The goal of this is to get the fewest mikes that you can (its pretty much impossible to clean). Anyways I started with 3 mikes, and varied between 2-7 for the rest of the day. The shots are tough, and the movement is abrupt but I felt really good.

I got my gun back from the shop, and the grip kept coming loose so I think this was partially to blame, but overall I was really pleased with practice today. I got home and red loctited my grip and used plumbers tape to sure up the left side. 

Also zeroed my gun at 15, and its hitting where I like at 25. I will check it one more time on Wednesday, but I feel pretty good about that staying solid. 

Ran my bullets through my chamber and checked them all. All passed, so thats good. 

I am ready for Area 1. I will see what I need to see for every shot, and I won't rush any shot.

Wyatt

• Lloyd Christmas likes this

#178 beerbaron

beerbaron

Shagga

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 857 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 05:42 AM

Good luck budd. You sure are putting in the work to make it happen. :)

#179 Sweet T

Sweet T

Glock Master Race

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 07:50 AM

Today I went on my own and shot what we call the Mark Waki Drill. Basically you set up every partial you could see at a match or you're most likely to see. IE zebra, partial hardcover on angle, no shoot halfway on target, and then no shoot on the shoulder in the alpha zone. You start at 35 yards and shoot each target twice, then move to 25 yards and shoot them twice, then move to 15 yards and shoot them twice. The goal of this is to get the fewest mikes that you can (its pretty much impossible to clean). Anyways I started with 3 mikes, and varied between 2-7 for the rest of the day. The shots are tough, and the movement is abrupt but I felt really good.

Just to be clear, is this a multi-string drill, or is the movement on the clock?

#180 WJM

WJM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • LocationS.L.U.T

Posted 27 March 2017 - 10:05 AM

Good luck budd. You sure are putting in the work to make it happen. :)

Thank you sir, I appreciate it! 

Just to be clear, is this a multi-string drill, or is the movement on the clock?

It is one string. You have to run the 10 yards and stop. So essentially its a position exit on a 35 yard partial, along with a position entry on a 25 yard partial. Then a exit on a 25 yard, and enter on a 15. 

I usually do this in about 23 seconds or so. Yesterday I was very consistently within a second every time.

In other news I just added up the amount of rounds since I started training for this year of shooting. As of October 26, 2016 I have shot 14351 rounds in practice. Now, total rounds don't really matter to me, however I have also done 50 live fire sessions, and countless dry fire sessions. At 50 sessions it means that my average round count for every session is 287.02 rounds.

Which honestly is pretty accurate to what I have noticed, and that is that after 250 rounds I tend to be wasting ammo. Granted I also sight in my gun every session which is about 20 rounds, and I also end the session with about 20-50 rounds of strong hand only.

Wyatt

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users