Photo

How do we apply for the Executive Director position?

• Please log in to reply
203 replies to this topic

#141 ZackJones

ZackJones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,679 posts

Posted 13 March 2016 - 06:52 PM

Considering that most clubs I've seen use Android for the majority of devices and the availability of relatively inexpensive Android tablets, stripping the Android version down would be a bad idea.
I agree that both versions should have the same capabilities.

I would consider the ability to generate the upload files for USPSA (both match and classifier files) to be core functionality that should not be left out of either version.

I realize there are probably more clubs using Android devices than iOS devices. Hell we still have clubs scoring on paper and sending in checks for fees. Just because some of us like technology and want to see things advancing all of the time doesn't mean all clubs can or are willing to do so. On the USPSA forum we were discussing the lack of this capability in Android and euxx stated no one from USPSA had requested he add it. I asked for either Jake or Mike to make that formal request to Ken Nelson. Mike replied and said they were in talks with Ken. I doubt we'll ever see the ability to generate the necessary files in the Android platform. Instead I suspect we'll see some sort of direct upload from the tablets to USPSA HQ like you can do with posting results to PractiScore's web site. It's pretty clear that Mike and Ken are talking and that's a hell of a big step forward. I'm sure good things will come from those talks. I would LOVE for Ken's guys to write the USPSA Application that allows us to have real time rules, etc. It's quite clear they have the talent to do it.
Not to be confused with ZachJ

#142 not that bryan

not that bryan

Fuckstick

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 13 March 2016 - 07:35 PM

I realize there are probably more clubs using Android devices than iOS devices. Hell we still have clubs scoring on paper and sending in checks for fees. Just because some of us like technology and want to see things advancing all of the time doesn't mean all clubs can or are willing to do so. On the USPSA forum we were discussing the lack of this capability in Android and euxx stated no one from USPSA had requested he add it. I asked for either Jake or Mike to make that formal request to Ken Nelson. Mike replied and said they were in talks with Ken. I doubt we'll ever see the ability to generate the necessary files in the Android platform. Instead I suspect we'll see some sort of direct upload from the tablets to USPSA HQ like you can do with posting results to PractiScore's web site. It's pretty clear that Mike and Ken are talking and that's a hell of a big step forward. I'm sure good things will come from those talks. I would LOVE for Ken's guys to write the USPSA Application that allows us to have real time rules, etc. It's quite clear they have the talent to do it.

I agree with all of this.
I still think it sucks that iOS has been able to create the upload files for around a year and Android still can't. Fix this in the mean time and it will hold me over until direct upload is available.

#143 TrannyOakley

TrannyOakley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 13 March 2016 - 07:59 PM

Why the hell are the files generated on the tablet, at all? That should be rendered/built on the server and easy to make available to download to any client.

This will ruffle some feathers but I really don't get people's love of practiscore. It's kind of shit, imho, and lacking tons of obvious features it needs. The cocky dev in me thinks I could replicate everything practiscore does, in a cross-platform, non-native application, in about 1 week. Double that and double it again for an accurate estimate of about a month.

#144 Buck Turgidson

Buck Turgidson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,406 posts
  • Locationthe command bunker

Posted 13 March 2016 - 08:09 PM

Just add in a $300 abacus operator convenience fee and everyone wins.

LOL I hope you have a monopoly on whatever you sell

I need something to do while shooting, and thinking about titties is too distracting  - Stubb

#145 peterthefish

peterthefish

Banned.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,001 posts

Posted 13 March 2016 - 08:27 PM

Why the hell are the files generated on the tablet, at all? That should be rendered/built on the server and easy to make available to download to any client.

This will ruffle some feathers but I really don't get people's love of practiscore. It's kind of shit, imho, and lacking tons of obvious features it needs. The cocky dev in me thinks I could replicate everything practiscore does, in a cross-platform, non-native application, in about 1 week. Double that and double it again for an accurate estimate of about a month.

Probably because it's not anybody's full time job. So take the amount of time you can slack at work / feel like working in your free time, double it twice, and you're probably at about a year, or two if you wanted to document it. Keep in mind Practiscore supports multiple shooting sports, etc...

Efforts would probably be better spent hooking up with Ken, documenting your features, and implementing them.

#146 Miculek is a Noob

Miculek is a Noob

V.C.R.O.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,865 posts

Posted 13 March 2016 - 10:07 PM

Huh?

You do know that the scoring takes place on the tablet, offline? It kind of has to be generated there first, since that's where the fucking scoring takes place.

Please don't apply for a dev job.

#147 TrannyOakley

TrannyOakley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 13 March 2016 - 10:12 PM

Probably because it's not anybody's full time job. So take the amount of time you can slack at work / feel like working in your free time, double it twice, and you're probably at about a year, or two if you wanted to document it. Keep in mind Practiscore supports multiple shooting sports, etc...

Efforts would probably be better spent hooking up with Ken, documenting your features, and implementing them.

I get that. I do tons of open source work and have built several sites, apps, and other tools for orgs I've worked with. Not to mention my own crazy ass projects I do just for the hell of it. So I totally get the "stop bitching about this thing I made you for free" concept. But at some point, a project has to shit or get off the pot.

I wouldn't attempt making a better mousetrap in this case because it won't get used and that's the only reason to build shit, especially if you're not getting paid. There are already better mousetraps out there people aren't using which makes me wonder how PS has it's hooks buried so deeply in the community that it's the only one ever talked about.

#148 TrannyOakley

TrannyOakley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 13 March 2016 - 10:21 PM

Huh?

You do know that the scoring takes place on the tablet, offline? It kind of has to be generated there first, since that's where the fucking scoring takes place.

Please don't apply for a dev job.

Perhaps there's a requirement I don't understand but as I see it, that's a terrible design. The tablet only needs to record the stage layout and points per target and upload them. It shouldn't need to process anything. Sure, do the maths locally on the tablet so people can look over the scorer's shoulder and see their HF or whatever, but there should only be one system of record and that should reside at the server. Which is how I actually suspect it's built, despite your blathering, because anything else seems asinine to me. But what do I know, other people's code surprises the shit out of me daily.

#149 Miculek is a Noob

Miculek is a Noob

V.C.R.O.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,865 posts

Posted 13 March 2016 - 11:40 PM

We're not calculating rocket ship trajectories here, USPSA match scoring is pretty straightforward once you know the hit factors. The results file and the classifier/activity file get created by Practiscore IOS or EZWinScore if using PS Android, and the user uploads them to USPSA's web server. The results file gets parsed and posted as match results and emailed to competitors with memberships, while the classifier portion gets queued for processed the next month The activity file kicks out a balance due which the user pays ... or for the Area 6 shit-kickers up in the holler, they mail in a check with a printout of the report.

Blather this.

#150 ZackJones

ZackJones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,679 posts

Posted 14 March 2016 - 03:58 AM

This will ruffle some feathers but I really don't get people's love of practiscore. It's kind of shit, imho, and lacking tons of obvious features it needs.

Such as?
Not to be confused with ZachJ

#151 Peally

Peally

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,855 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 14 March 2016 - 07:04 AM

I'd like to know as well. At least compared to the other crap on the market it's a godsend.

#152 Ben

Ben

MFCEO

• Administrators
  • 2,269 posts

Posted 14 March 2016 - 07:11 AM

Fuckers

I tried a new one for him.

• Brownie likes this

#153 Mike Foley

Mike Foley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 907 posts

Posted 14 March 2016 - 07:22 AM

I tried a new one for him.

Nice
  • Ben, Brownie, thegrandwazoo and 2 others like this

#154 CrappyShooter

CrappyShooter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts
  • LocationYour wife's Boner Garage

Posted 14 March 2016 - 07:29 AM

One of the thing I think it is missing, is an upload directly to USPSA. I still don't understand why everyone is ok with uploading our scores to Practiscore first and giving up the potential ad-revenue that we can earn from USPSA.

Also, for Major matches, when tablets are assigned to a Stage and do not follow squads, the tablets should have a way to 'poll' from the Registration tablet to get updated Registration information. 

It could be DQ's, Division changes, Major/Minor, Squad changes, etc.  As it is today, the stage tablets can manually poll data, but can also grab all the scores from the match.  Since all of the scores in a match tend to slow down the tablets, and it is NOT recommended by Practiscore to do that, it is sort of a pain. to get registration information updated to the stages.

Also, for Major matches, it would be GREAT to have Read-Only permissions for non-match tablets so that shooters can see the scores.  Many ranges are not in good cellular coverage and it is hard to see the USPSA site or even Practiscore.

It would be great to have the Match Management systems ported to Android as well, but if not, they can still be exported to EZ Win.

#155 euxx

euxx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 14 March 2016 - 07:31 AM

Probably because it's not anybody's full time job.

Not quite true. Ios dev, as well as the web are pretty much full time developers on Ken's payroll.

#156 CrappyShooter

CrappyShooter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts
  • LocationYour wife's Boner Garage

Posted 14 March 2016 - 07:34 AM

To recap from the OP.

1. There actually is no Job Description for the ED position, and there is no way to apply for the position.

2.  It seems someone is pissed at Troy.

3. Practiscore wants to own all USPSA scores, but there are contracts talk in progress.

4. Some Tranny guy can do better than Practiscore, but doesn't want to.

#157 euxx

euxx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 14 March 2016 - 07:37 AM

It doesn't. PractiScore always had export file, which has more information than USPSA currently collecting or showing on its own web site. Nothing really stops them to take that export file and process it on their side instead of expecting a legacy, 10 years old format. If they were wanted it, they would have done it two years ago. I know, because others did exactly that.

Anyhow, I've been told iOS tablets are cheap now. Maybe USPSA would send you a free one.

#158 peterthefish

peterthefish

Banned.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,001 posts

Posted 14 March 2016 - 07:48 AM

Not quite true. Ios dev, as well as the web are pretty much full time developers on Ken's payroll.

Are they dedicated to Practiscore? Or is that just one product of their portfolio. If so, I stand corrected.

#159 euxx

euxx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 14 March 2016 - 07:49 AM

... but there should only be one system of record and that should reside at the server. Which is how I actually suspect it's built, despite your blathering, because anything else seems asinine to me. But what do I know, other people's code surprises the shit out of me daily.

That is likely the main reason PS got so popular. You just get a few off-the-shelf tablets, get some wifi router and you are ready to run a match out of the box, even at the ranges that don't have wifi.

Add servers and other crap to that and then it becomes beyond comprehension of the most people. Besides, the computing power on those tablets is well above of some servers we used to have 10 years ago.

Of course some of the things shouldn't have been added to tablets, but when someone doing match stats and having ability to modify app at the range, so he can not touch or don't have a PS around, it is just easier to do it than get some other web guys implement what he needed an hour ago. But then again, it is just my theory and there might be some more deep reasons in there.

#160 euxx

euxx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 14 March 2016 - 08:01 AM

Also, for Major matches, when tablets are assigned to a Stage and do not follow squads, the tablets should have a way to 'poll' from the Registration tablet to get updated Registration information.

It could be DQ's, Division changes, Major/Minor, Squad changes, etc. As it is today, the stage tablets can manually poll data, but can also grab all the scores from the match.

Actually Android app does not grab scores on sync when device is locked to a stage or squad.

Since all of the scores in a match tend to slow down the tablets, and it is NOT recommended by Practiscore to do that..

It is not recommended to cross sync devices and pull scores between tablets NOT because it slow down things (I need to see some evidence if that is the case). The main reason is that scores entered on a wrong stage can get overwritten on sync. So, it it better to sync scores one way only.

Also, for Major matches, it would be GREAT to have Read-Only permissions for non-match tablets so that shooters can see the scores. Many ranges are not in good cellular coverage and it is hard to see the USPSA site or even Practiscore.

You can do it yourself now. Just get a separate public wifi hotspot and dedicate one device to that. Then periodically sync that device from your master.

It would be great to have the Match Management systems ported to Android as well, but if not, they can still be exported to EZ Win.

Most of those features are already in android app, but in a different form. I seriously suspect, people who are using it are also using ios as a master device. Every time I stumble upon that, I feel blind, comparing to android app.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users