Photo

How do we apply for the Executive Director position?

• Please log in to reply
203 replies to this topic

#161 euxx

euxx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 14 March 2016 - 08:04 AM

Are they dedicated to Practiscore? Or is that just one product of their portfolio. If so, I stand corrected.

As far as I know PractiScore mostly, but I don't work for Ken, so my information might be outdated or not 100% correct. :)

#162 CrappyShooter

CrappyShooter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts
  • LocationYour wife's Boner Garage

Posted 14 March 2016 - 08:08 AM

Eugene,

Good points.  Didn't know about locking the device to a stage would prevent syncing scores.  That is awesome.

I'd be happy to show you how a match with 400+ shooters with 11 stages slows down on an Android Tablet.

#163 euxx

euxx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 14 March 2016 - 08:29 AM

Eugene,

Good points. Didn't know about locking the device to a stage would prevent syncing scores. That is awesome.

I'd be happy to show you how a match with 400+ shooters with 11 stages slows down on an Android Tablet.

Sure, pls email the match export file to support@practiscore.com along with some details, like device and PS app version used and which screens are slow.

If you have time, make some video on your own device. :)

#164 foofighter

foofighter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,388 posts

Posted 14 March 2016 - 08:55 AM

It is not recommended to cross sync devices and pull scores between tablets NOT because it slow down things (I need to see some evidence if that is the case). The main reason is that scores entered on a wrong stage can get overwritten on sync. So, it it better to sync scores one way only.

They ensure data integrity by not syncing? Sounds like something that would earn you a failed class in college.

And how can syncing be so slow? We're talking about a few kB of data, so either the devices/protocols suck, or the sync code sucks.

#165 CrappyShooter

CrappyShooter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 14 March 2016 - 09:00 AM

I'll grab you some video from our club tablets.

I always have one of the latest Android phones, and use that as the Master, so I don't have that problem.

#166 euxx

euxx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 14 March 2016 - 09:20 AM

They ensure data integrity by not syncing? Sounds like something that would earn you a failed class in college.

Sigh... No one said nothing about data integrity, yet you are jumping to conclusions.

No data is lost, but it makes much easier for MD and stats to investigate issues related to entering scores if scores are not cross-synced between devices.

Specific example. After lunch they grab tablet dedicated to stage 2 and start entering squad 4 stage 2 scores into stage 9. Then later they sync scores from other tablets and scores of squad 4 feom a real stage 9 have more recent timestamps, so they load up over previously entered stage 9 scores. The old stage 9 scores will be pushed into the history and can be recovered, but it will take more digging to find and restore them.

The above situation can be avoided by locking device to the stage and further by enabling match security, but that is up to MD and stats to do.

And how can syncing be so slow? We're talking about a few kB of data, so either the devices/protocols suck, or the sync code sucks.

The 2016 Florida Open was 0.5mb and biggest match I saw was 1.5mb (30 stages x 1200 shooters). So, generally it is somewhat more than a few kb, but it is not really an issue.

I don't think he was referring to a slow sync, but more to some parts of the app slowing down when match is getting bigger.

#167 Doc

Doc

Google ( o Y o ) SME

• Moderators
  • 4,264 posts

Posted 14 March 2016 - 10:08 AM

Just an aside.

Our club largely prevents people from entering scores from one on the page for another by not having any 2 stages have the same round count.

Even i a large match, round counts can easily be manipulated to give every stage a unique number.

It isn't completely foolproof because creative idiots can still fuck it up, but the problem of wrong scores being entered on wrong stages has dropped almost completely. The last incident that required fixing was sevferal years ago...

Unload and Show Clear...
tsarbombaexplos2.jpg
"Licorne" French Polynesia 1970

It pins my irony meter when people post things like "your to stupid..."

You brought a rifle to a handgun competition?

#168 Vagetarian

Vagetarian

I used to have 3 warning points.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,981 posts
  • LocationLightyears from Ben's nuts.

Posted 14 March 2016 - 11:44 AM

Why does everything end up as a PS debate?  Fucking thread drift!!!  I just want to know what is happening with the ED position and when HQ will be moving to A6.  Give Foley a warning point for being evasive and pissing me off.  

Kitten_zps66d94599.jpg
I just man-handled that prick with my Type-A personality.
Dipshit tard duckweed goat humper.

You're all a bunch of fucking idiots and retards!

#169 Brownie

Brownie

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,361 posts
  • LocationCamilla, Ga

Posted 14 March 2016 - 11:48 AM

Give Foley a warning point for being evasive and pissing me off.  

If that's the case he's earned way more than a warning point. When I see him it'll be beers on me.

#170 foofighter

foofighter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,388 posts

Posted 14 March 2016 - 12:14 PM

Sigh... No one said nothing about data integrity, yet you are jumping to conclusions.

No data is lost, but it makes much easier for MD and stats to investigate issues related to entering scores if scores are not cross-synced between devices.

The main reason is that scores entered on a wrong stage can get overwritten on sync.

overwritten usually means lost, but apologies for not knowing your definition of overwrite.

#171 euxx

euxx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 14 March 2016 - 12:15 PM

Why does everything end up as a PS debate? Fucking thread drift!!!

My thoughts exactly!

#172 GuanoLoco

GuanoLoco

Minister of Culture

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,245 posts
  • LocationMy Safe Space

Posted 14 March 2016 - 12:18 PM

Perhaps there's a requirement I don't understand but as I see it, that's a terrible design. The tablet only needs to record the stage layout and points per target and upload them. It shouldn't need to process anything. Sure, do the maths locally on the tablet so people can look over the scorer's shoulder and see their HF or whatever, but there should only be one system of record and that should reside at the server. Which is how I actually suspect it's built, despite your blathering, because anything else seems asinine to me. But what do I know, other people's code surprises the shit out of me daily.

Did you miss the part where the devices operate in disconnected mode and can replicate between each other? While a single 'system of truth' is a nice obejctive if assumes connectivity. How do you do that AND have disconnected, peer-peer replicated devices?
Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

You'll never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

In Doodie, Veritas.

"You might be a little thin-skinned for this forum". -Scott.

#173 ZackJones

ZackJones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,679 posts

Posted 14 March 2016 - 01:52 PM

I still think it sucks that iOS has been able to create the upload files for around a year and Android still can't. Fix this in the mean time and it will hold me over until direct upload is available.

It does suck. It has been requested but I have no idea why Ken hasn't made it a priority for euxx to work on. I imagine at this point in time it's not worth the time and effort if direct upload is on the not to distant horizon. 

Actually Android app does not grab scores on sync when device is locked to a stage or squad.

Damn, that's awesome. I'm going to try that out. This kind of stuff needs to be documented. There should be a release notes document with every new release that spells out new and cool stuff like this. 

Why does everything end up as a PS debate?  Fucking thread drift!!!

Because, doodie. Come on Vag you should know that by now.
Not to be confused with ZachJ

#174 euxx

euxx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 14 March 2016 - 02:13 PM

It does suck. It has been requested but I have no idea why Ken hasn't made it a priority for euxx to work on. I imagine at this point in time it's not worth the time and effort if direct upload is on the not to distant horizon.

He tried and every time euxx been able to convince Ken that it need to be on the web site.

Oh, I shouldn't have said that, I shouldn't have said that...

Damn, that's awesome. I'm going to try that out. This kind of stuff needs to be documented. There should be a release notes document with every new release that spells out new and cool stuff like this.

The stage and squad locking been documented. Not pulling down scores on android when anything is locked is kinda obviously logical thing that doesn't need special introduction and you would have seen it if haven't moved to ios. :)

#175 CrappyShooter

CrappyShooter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 14 March 2016 - 02:15 PM

I don't "do" iOS.

#176 euxx

euxx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 14 March 2016 - 02:56 PM

I don't "do" iOS.

Do you do uspsa ED?

#177 Miculek is a Noob

Miculek is a Noob

V.C.R.O.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,865 posts

Posted 14 March 2016 - 04:10 PM

Because euxx would rather spend hours arguing with users (and apparently Ken) about this functionality and telling them they don't need it every time it comes up in a forum post (roughly every 2-3 weeks for the past 24 months I'd say) than to just sit down and writing code for two of the simplest delimited file format export routines in the history of the universe. Because he's the smartest guy in the room, and Bill Noyse might make fun of him losing an argument maybe? 

It's far better nerd form to browbeat people and tell them they don't need a feature they want, than to actually give it to them.

Or something... maybe he's just hard headed.

Hopefully if USPSA contracts with Practiscore this gets included, so even if euxx doesn't feel like doing it, someone will write the export for Android some day.

• Twinkie likes this

#178 Vagetarian

Vagetarian

I used to have 3 warning points.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,981 posts
  • LocationLightyears from Ben's nuts.

Posted 14 March 2016 - 04:13 PM

If that's the case he's earned way more than a warning point. When I see him it'll be beers on me.

Fuck you Brownie  ;)

• Brownie likes this

Kitten_zps66d94599.jpg
I just man-handled that prick with my Type-A personality.
Dipshit tard duckweed goat humper.

You're all a bunch of fucking idiots and retards!

#179 foofighter

foofighter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,388 posts

Posted 14 March 2016 - 04:27 PM

Because euxx would rather spend hours arguing with users (and apparently Ken) about this functionality and telling them they don't need it every time it comes up in a forum post (roughly every 2-3 weeks for the past 24 months I'd say) than to just sit down and writing code for two of the simplest delimited file format export routines in the history of the universe. Because he's the smartest guy in the room, and Bill Noyse might make fun of him losing an argument maybe? 

It's far better nerd form to browbeat people and tell them they don't need a feature they want, than to actually give it to them.

Or something... maybe he's just hard headed.

Hopefully if USPSA contracts with Practiscore this gets included, so even if euxx doesn't feel like doing it, someone will write the export for Android some day.

Bro, do you even code? It's mandatory for an engineer to not care about what users want.

• Miculek is a Noob, thegrandwazoo, ToddKS and 1 other like this

#180 Miculek is a Noob

Miculek is a Noob

V.C.R.O.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,865 posts

Posted 14 March 2016 - 05:05 PM

Well to be strictly accurate, isn't it mandatory for the engineer to build precisely what the designer spec'ed, even if it turns to be the opposite of what everyone actually wanted? 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users