#1 ron169

ron169

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 623 posts
  • LocationSouth Georgia

Posted 08 April 2016 - 10:57 PM

If there is one thing I've learned this week, is that if you aren't forming calluses and blisters, you aren't practicing enough.

Being that I've been shooting USPSA off and on for nearly 6 years, one would think that I would be a lot better than I am. As I sit now, C class in limited, l10, and single stack, and B class in production. This, experience dies not equal skill. In all fairness, I didn't really start taking matches seriously until 2014 and the progression since then has been acceptable to me.

I've always been hesitant to start a range diary because although I know I'm lazy, I didn't want others to know I was lazy, and I definitely didn't want a written record of my laziness. Well, I've come to the realization that for me to get where I want to go, I need to know where I've been. And the best way to do that is with a record I can go back and look at, thus here is my manly diary.

As I type this, area 6 is less than two weeks away. I should probably be dry d firing instead of typing on my phone, but it's 1 AM and my hands hurt from practice. Blister on my trigger finger and the callous known as glock knuckle is almost complete. I'm going to back date a few post going back to Alabama state.
  • GuanoLoco and cognition like this

#2 ron169

ron169

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 623 posts
  • LocationSouth Georgia

Posted 08 April 2016 - 11:32 PM

https://youtu.be/cYbDMOQ3hqo

I shot the 2016 Jabs Steel Alabama Sectional on March 11th and worked the match as a CRO on the 12th wound up finishing 1st C class and 7th overall in single stack. Would have also finished 1st B class. I'll take that result as it was only my fourth match ever in single stack.

https://practiscore....a21ba5238/index

Started in stage 3
I remember something jim Mcburnett told me at Georgia state last year. You won't win a match on the first state, but you can dang sure lose it. I had practiced the stacked 4 target array a couple times the previous weeks, but not at that distance. Buzzer went off and called a miss and made it up, going to slide lock. Went to 4 plates and a bad grip cost me some misses on steel. Next target array called a miss and went to slide lock, and the same happened on the last target array. All three called misses weren't misses and the day was off to a bad start.

Stage 4
Was comfortable with the stage design as I had shot a very similar stage at Dothan several months prior. On second position took an extra shot to make up a wild D that I didn't see the sights well on. Slide lock didn't hurt because I knew next array was 6 shots. Cut it close at the end with an edge hit on steel with the last bullet in the gun. Ill say that my run on this stage was good, but couldhave only been a little better.

Stage 5
No matter how much I preprogrammed the stage in my mind, forgot to reload after the first two movers and cost me a standing reload. Also for some reason I engaged the same target twice.

Stage 6
Think I'm the only person in the entire match that ran outside the shooting area and backed my way into the corner. Working this stage the next day, I realized there was a faster way to engage the targets, but only marginally so, plus disaster factor would have been greater. This was by far the only stage that I felt I did great on.

Stage 7
Debated on doing a planned standing reload on the 8 shot steel array. After shooting the stage I wish I would have done it. Instead I went dry twice. It worked out and wound up with a decent run, but could have been better

Stage 8
Had a damn good run.... After ULASC, walked all my targets, saw good hits and went to load up my magazines. RO comes up to me and tells me I had a FTE and two mikes. Watched cell phone footage and I clearly engaged the target that was 5 yards away. I was livid, but not much I could do about it now. Later, the Nook RO confessed that he was giving everyone 2alphas on the last target because the number if targets didn't match the Nook. Come to find out, one target wasn't being scored by timer RO because he thought Nook RO was getting it during shooting. Called RM over and he gave entire squad a reshoot. Didn't do as well on my reshoot, but didn't get tagged with any procedural or mikes. Later watched video from pivothead glasses and target I was assessed 2 mikes and FTE was actually an alpha Charlie that someone pasted and never fessed up to.

Stage 9
Just sucked, got all my his, but was slow

Stage 1
Balance bridge stage. Wanted to go one for one on steel but that didn't happen

Stage 2

Had a good plan but it required going one for one on 4 poppers, which didn't happen. More standing slide lock reloads.

All in all, way too many deltas in the match, but no mikes, so I will take that. Only felt like I had one great stage, one good one, and 7 blah stages. Slide lock reloads on 8 of 9 stages and standing reloads on 6 of 9 stages
  • GuanoLoco likes this

#3 Stubb

Stubb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,695 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 09 April 2016 - 04:38 PM

Going to pick a division and focus on it or continue sucking in a bunch of them?

You can shave off a lot of time by moving between positions with a purpose and keeping your knees bent while shooting instead of standing up straight each time. Currently it looks like you’re sleepwalking through stages. Reloads also need to get faster.

• Ben, peterthefish and NickBlasta like this

#4 Ben

Ben

MFCEO

• Administrators
  • 2,269 posts

Posted 09 April 2016 - 07:16 PM

Going to pick a division and focus on it or continue sucking in a bunch of them?

​Way to cut to the core of it.

• NickBlasta likes this

#5 ron169

ron169

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 623 posts
  • LocationSouth Georgia

Posted 09 April 2016 - 08:31 PM

You can shave off a lot of time by moving between positions with a purpose and keeping your knees bent while shooting instead of standing up straight each time. Currently it looks like you’re sleepwalking through stages. Reloads also need to get faster.

Oh most definitely. L10, production, and limited were all with Glocks. Only time I deviated was with the first into single stack. I shot production last summer to concentrate on getting my hits with minor scoring and more consistent reloads without the magwell. Not quite sure why I swapped to single stack other than peer pressure. It definitely showed at RBGC when I couldn't find my sights the whole match... Our like the stageI forgot to load my gun on.

As for speeding up, I know I need to stay down low and worked on that the last couple days in practice. It's weird in the fact that I feel like I'm running fat until I watch the video and see how slow I really am.

#6 ron169

ron169

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 623 posts
  • LocationSouth Georgia

Posted 10 April 2016 - 10:24 PM

Ok moving forward with catching up on the past. After Alabama state, stayed transitioning back to the glock and limited division for area 6. Main reason for the transition is I plan on shooting limited nationals this year. I believe area 6 well be a good reference point match percentage wise to any gains I make between now and nationals. Did a few dry fire exercises leading up to a club match at river bend gun club.

At river bend it was abundantly clear that changing platforms isn't too be done lightly. First few stages I spent the whole time trying to find my sights. Wound up finishing 5th in limited out of 28. As usual not happy with my performance at all. I have to remember that perfection is something that I strive for, but all the while knowing that perfection is impossible to ascertain. Of the 7 stages, had to find sights on first two, missed a reload that cost me close to two seconds, missed a reload on a gamble of stage plan, did an extra reload for no reason, nearly zero'd a classifier with a light primer strike and a couple near misses that wound up on white, and my personal favorite, forgetting to put a magazine in my gun on make ready after realizing that my primary magazine was only half empty.

Here is the final results from the day
https://practiscore....cc/matchLimited

#7 ron169

ron169

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 623 posts
  • LocationSouth Georgia

Posted 10 April 2016 - 10:37 PM

After riverbend, started a daily dry fire routine practicing everything from basic draws and reloading, target transitions, and moving in and out of positions combinedwith reloading on the move.

On Monday, 4/4 I went to the range for a live fire session.
Due to recent flooding in the area, movement drills and practice was extremely limited. Did almost 200 rounds of transition drills, as well as stand and shoot drills while concentrating on accuracy.

Practiced the Bill drill several times. I don't recall ever doing the drill in the past and set it up at 7 yards. First run was in high 2 seconds but went real slow. On the 4th run, wound up with a 1.97 time with all shots in the upper A zone.
I also did some first shot practice only counting A zone hits. The slowest run was about .89 secondsand hit a personal best of .67 seconds. That being said, the runs in the high .6's and low.7's all felt rushed and as if I was scooping the gun out of the holster. Also noticed pretty quickly that went scoping the gun out of the holster, the support hand almost never got a constant grip.

After shooting around 200 rounds, I noticed the skin on my trigger finger getting a little raw. Also noticed that the callous known as glock lucky starting to form.

#8 ron169

ron169

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 623 posts
  • LocationSouth Georgia

Posted 10 April 2016 - 10:48 PM

On 4/5 I went back to the range after an awesome class on report writing. Once again, 200 rounds were budgeted. The tire house had dried out enough that I was able to set up a mini stage within. Due to room size, most shots were within 8-9 yards. Started each string with a distance shot down a long hallway about 15 yards, then ran into a room and engaged two different arrays of paper targets. Used paper plates to simulate steel. One done with room, did a reload into another room. In this room, 2 targets were about 9 yards away, then 5 paper plates and flowed by a 3 target array.

From running several strings, it was pretty clear that 9 ard targets on the move proved a gamble with lots of D his and an occasional Mike. Also realized that 7 yard paper plates on the move is definitely slower and less accurate that standing a shooting. Found my two best hit factors were when I shot from a solid position.

After shooting several strings, I broke the stage down into mini stages and drew lots of conclusions about standing a shooting.

Also realized paper plates are good practice for steel because it forces you to use your sights and call your shots without the audio feedback.

#9 ron169

ron169

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 623 posts
  • LocationSouth Georgia

Posted 10 April 2016 - 11:14 PM

On Friday 4/8, went back to the range fire more live fire practice. Took 250 rounds with me for this trip.

Set up a small stage inside a single room of the tire house. Each target was either a hard cover partial or no shot partial. Most difficult shit was 2 tuxedo hardcover targets that I had to set up on through a blind corner. Was concentrating on tight shots and staying low during movement.

Stage consisted of drawing to two no shot covered targets at 6 yards, running forward the steps, hard90 turn to two tuxedos, quick reload to a third position with2 hardcover partial, 90 degree transition to two no shoot partial. Ran the stage5 times and learned some things:

1: stage tone doesn't change much. Fastest was 8.97 and slowest was 9.5-9.6 range
2: hit factor was fairly consistent
3: fastest stage was shooter on points and slower stage was cleaner
Conclusions: shoot your sights! Your going to shoot to your skill level. If you can run the stage in a GM time, you wouldn't be a freaking C class! More practice will raise your skill level, but you can't just will your way there.

After running the stage several times at my soured, decided to throw caution to the wind and really push it. Time was in mid 7's with 3 close misses... But this ain't horseshoes!
Then ran the stage twice like I would in a match, shooting targets from just two positions. First try engaged6 targets from one position then ran to two tuxedo position and shot them. Second run started on tuxedo position and engaged other 6 targets while backing up. Second rubnwas by far the highest hit factor.

After leaving the tire house, went outside and tried a el presidente. First run was personal best 5.13. Second run was a 4.97, and finished it with a 5.06 and 5.07. One thing that surprised me was how clean I was shooting at soured. Normally, accuracy isn't my string suit, but even with sub5 seconds run, it was 3 Charlies, one delta. And 8 alphas. The five second runs were mostly alphas with just a few Charlies peer run.

Then ran the triple niche drill in 3.87 seconds(personal best) and threw one close Charlie.

Final drill was a FAST drill. No clue how that one turned out as my trigger wentdead and glock would no longer go bang bang!

Upon disassembly of glock, determined that trigger return spring was broken. Good thing I ordered 2 sorting packs the previous date. Also noticed while cleaning and tearing apart the Glock that the rear sight was loose. Took the set screw out to clean it reloctite it. Upon removing the set screw, the rear sight almost slid out of the dovetail. Eye balled it back to close to center. Should be fun shooting next match not knowing if the sights are straight.
  • GuanoLoco likes this

#10 ron169

ron169

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 623 posts
  • LocationSouth Georgia

Posted 12 April 2016 - 02:01 AM

Shoot local club match yesterday at Dothan gun club. Decided to shoot two different divisions, limited and open, with the exact same gear. Raining that it will be 12 stages just like area six and can work on trying different things on each division and seeing how they stack up. Also made it a point to work on movement soured and staying low the entire match. First run on each stage was soured in limited and the second in open.

Stage one went fairly well to shoot it cold. Didn't go as well on the plate rack as I would like, but stayed low the entire stage. Second run was the same, but lost some time on plate rack not being decisive about shooting order due to a swinging no shoot target.

Second stage went decent on the first run. Wound up finishing of the polish plate rack on my last round. Second run dif a flat footed reload on the polish plate rack after leaving one plate up. Stayed relatively low on both runs, but didn't have explosive speed coming out of positions.

Third stage was 32 pieces of steel and a hold over stage from previous weeks jabs steel match. I either really suck at shooting accurately, or rear sights are off just a little. Wound up with the third fastest tone of the day, but you couldn't tell with all of the misses.

Fourth stage of the day went pretty good. Stood up straight on an activator and later almost busted my arse on some hay after making a turn at full speed.

5th stage if day was a classifier. Had a light print strike and had a couple close misses on hardcover. Wound up with hit factor of 1 and 12 while stage points in limited. Open run went better but had an uncalled miss on hardcover.

6th stage if day had done weird things happen. Dee and fired two shots at steel, hitting it with the second. As I left the position I noticed my magazine drop. Reloaded and went to next position As I went to engage the target, gun went click with an empty chamber. Apparently as I shoot my second shot, firm grip plus recoil caused me to hit mag release and the gun never picked a round up. Later in the stage I think I hit my slide release with my palm during recoil causing slide to lock back. On open run, same thing happened with mag release.

Results, takeaways, learning experiences, brain farts and analysis-
Finished 2nd in limited and 2nd in open(out of 2)
Finished 3rd and 4th overall
Beat the limited winner in overall but not in limited (got to love hit factor scoring)
Had 3 stage wins in limited and 2 seconds, but nearly zeroing classifier cost me big.
Stayig low actually felt better, but not really natural yet. Need more dry fire and live fire practice to make it automatic
Need to check rear sights asap
Need new magazine release spring... ASAP
Noticed after 12 stages that my hands dried up pretty bad and were starting to feel a little raw
Tone saved from a lightning draw is lost by a bad grip

This is my match video. Not all the runs were limited. Some were open runs and some limited. Some videos are a combination of the two. No one wants to see me about bust my ass!

https://youtu.be/62TNrUr3sic
  • GuanoLoco likes this

#11 barry owens

barry owens

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,745 posts

Posted 12 April 2016 - 07:37 AM

Holy stream of consciousness, Batman!

Full Retard Custom Guns

M-m-m-making shooters h-h-h-happy, since 2012.......no refunds.

WARNING!!!!! My posts contain no actual shooting value.

#12 Sweet T

Sweet T

Glock Master Race

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,694 posts

Posted 12 April 2016 - 09:28 AM

How do you think his sergeant feels?

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

#13 GuanoLoco

GuanoLoco

Minister of Culture

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,245 posts
  • LocationMy Safe Space

Posted 12 April 2016 - 01:44 PM

I like this new dude, he makes me feel concise.
  • ZachJ and NickBlasta like this
Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

You'll never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

In Doodie, Veritas.

"You might be a little thin-skinned for this forum". -Scott.

#14 ron169

ron169

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 623 posts
  • LocationSouth Georgia

Posted 12 April 2016 - 01:51 PM

How do you think his sergeant feels?

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Good thing is that I am the sergeant.
  • GuanoLoco likes this

#15 Sweet T

Sweet T

Glock Master Race

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,694 posts

Posted 12 April 2016 - 02:43 PM

Good thing is that I am the sergeant.

Imagine how your Lieutenant/Captain feels! 

:P

#16 ron169

ron169

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 623 posts
  • LocationSouth Georgia

Posted 12 April 2016 - 03:22 PM

Imagine how your Lieutenant/Captain feels!

:P

Treat brass like mushrooms... Feed'm shit and keep them in the dark. Plus I think they quit reading my reports a long time ago.
  • Sweet T likes this

#17 ron169

ron169

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 623 posts
  • LocationSouth Georgia

Posted 08 May 2016 - 08:40 PM

Well area 6 has come and gone. Had one main goal and that was to win my class, which I did, and a secondary goal of finishing above 72% of whatever GM won limited, which I didn't. Almost felt like I regressed from Ga state where I finished 72 percent of Sevigney by finishing at 68+ percent of tomasie.

Overall I was not pleased with my shooting. Shot on the first day, Thursday, with the rest of the ROs and began on stage 2, which looked to be one if the most difficult based on scores. My fingers were numbish from the semi cold weather and wound up with two mikes before the sun came out good. Was able to clean it up on the next few stages with only one bobbled reload on 3-5. Stage 6 was a disaster after choosing what turned out to be a slower and more difficult stage plan. Wound up with two uncalled mikes. Finished the day strong with only two more mikes, one strong hand on the standard stage and one more on a 25 yard no shoot partial.

Overall I'm happy with my times on most stages, but definitely see some areas of improvement.

Need to work on "classic" targets and staying low! ! !

#18 ron169

ron169

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 623 posts
  • LocationSouth Georgia

Posted 08 May 2016 - 08:45 PM

Went to a local yesterday and not only did I win my division for first time, but also managed high overall

First stage of day went ok other than an unneeded reload. Second stage I gamed the crap out of and wound up with a Mike. RO didn't like my gaming and they added no shoots and made me reshoot, which I didn't mind. Had a couple more good stages before bombing the classifier. Wound up hitting a no shoot about an inch in. Should wind up with a 39 percent score, but one inch away from 75 percent. Last stage went tits up after Glock had a death jam which cost me about 4 seconds

https://youtu.be/Q-l2Sm5lwPY
  • Twinkie and ron169 like this

#19 Sweet T

Sweet T

Glock Master Race

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,694 posts

Posted 08 May 2016 - 08:57 PM

Second stage I gamed the crap out of and wound up with a Mike. RO didn't like my gaming and they added no shoots and made me reshoot, which I didn't mind.

Uh, what?

#20 ZackJones

ZackJones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,679 posts

Posted 09 May 2016 - 06:40 AM

I have to say I was surprised by the number of classic targets at A6.
Not to be confused with ZachJ

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users