55 replies to this topic

#21 Motosapiens

Motosapiens

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,524 posts

Posted 15 April 2016 - 08:43 AM

good stuff, but I simplify it further since I am good at math but lazy. I assume that shooting a disappearing target is not worth it unless:

my sights will be right there anyway and it's an easy shot, or

the stage is unusually low hit factor.

The matches I've shot in oregon have these stoopid fast drop-turners. The stages where I have ignored them have always been among my better stages, with my HF closer to the top dogs.

2013 National Champion C class  Limited 10

#22 ZackJones

ZackJones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,679 posts

Posted 15 April 2016 - 09:16 AM

I haven't looked at those diagrams just yet...

Once you do please post your plans for all stages prior to next Thursday when I have to shoot them, okay :).
  • not that bryan likes this
Not to be confused with ZachJ

#23 ny32182

ny32182

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 15 April 2016 - 09:31 AM

I don't always stage-plan, but when I do.... I base it off paper diagrams.

• G34, Sweet T, Motosapiens and 1 other like this

#24 Fourtrax

Fourtrax

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 757 posts

Posted 15 April 2016 - 11:10 AM

That was an excellent write up.

Best explanation I've heard or read and definitely worth the time to digest.
  • ny32182 likes this
I am a pre PTCRBH Doodie member. For all you post PTCRBH members, EABOD and piss off.

Best post ever,

DR. Yellow Visor Guy said....

"Glocks work. They're like that somewhat thick chick. They're low maintenance, will always put out and generally perform better at it than you'd expect."

#25 TrannyOakley

TrannyOakley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 15 April 2016 - 11:26 AM

So you're not shooting the 2 disappearing targets at A6?

Also, I had no idea you could write good.

There are disappearing targets at A6? Are they T3 & T8 on stage 2? I wasn't sure if the no-shoots would move and stay out of the way or bob back and forth until coming to rest in front of the target. If the latter, I am definitely leaning towards not shooting them...now that I know that's an option. I'm one who didn't know you didn't have to shoot all the shits.

#26 ny32182

ny32182

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 15 April 2016 - 12:30 PM

I think she's talking about stage 8... my first thought based on the diagram for that one is that you are going to want to shoot them.

• TrannyOakley likes this

#27 NickBlasta

NickBlasta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 500 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 15 April 2016 - 12:32 PM

good stuff, but I simplify it further since I am good at math but lazy. I assume that shooting a disappearing target is not worth it unless:

my sights will be right there anyway and it's an easy shot, or

the stage is unusually low hit factor.

The matches I've shot in oregon have these stoopid fast drop-turners. The stages where I have ignored them have always been among my better stages, with my HF closer to the top dogs.

I agree, most optional targets I've seen, it would have reduced my hit factor to shoot them as I calculate afterwards. Trickily, I think at the match you reference, they had that one stage where it had two DTs on it where one was clearly not worth shooting at while one was. The first one was out at distance and you could have started moving rather than wait for it, and one was right in your face at the 'end' of the stage.

#28 Motosapiens

Motosapiens

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,524 posts

Posted 15 April 2016 - 01:11 PM

I agree, most optional targets I've seen, it would have reduced my hit factor to shoot them as I calculate afterwards. Trickily, I think at the match you reference, they had that one stage where it had two DTs on it where one was clearly not worth shooting at while one was. The first one was out at distance and you could have started moving rather than wait for it, and one was right in your face at the 'end' of the stage.

That sounds like one of the stages at columbia cascade, although they also had stoopid fast drop turners at the oregon state match in bend. I meant to actually shoot the 2nd one at col-casc, but I used 2 shots up on a hardcover makeup and a hurried miss on the activator, so I ran dry. No biggie. It wouldn't have helped as much as calling the hardcover mike and immediately  making it up did. 

• NickBlasta likes this

#29 Twinkie

Twinkie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,504 posts

Posted 15 April 2016 - 01:35 PM

I think she's talking about stage 8... my first thought based on the diagram for that one is that you are going to want to shoot them.

Once again I have failed in my attempt to make a joke. Yes, of course you are going to shoot the disappearing targets.

#30 Peally

Peally

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,855 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 15 April 2016 - 01:50 PM

Once again I have failed in my attempt to make a joke. Yes, of course you are going to shoot the disappearing targets.

Gotta break out this puppy for times like that

#31 TrannyOakley

TrannyOakley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 15 April 2016 - 01:52 PM

Ahh! I'm still learning how to decipher (and read, apparently) these diagrams. Haha, yeah, figure I'll at least throw some rounds at those two.

#32 Sweet T

Sweet T

Glock Master Race

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,694 posts

Posted 15 April 2016 - 02:00 PM

Ahh! I'm still learning how to decipher (and read, apparently) these diagrams. Haha, yeah, figure I'll at least throw some rounds at those two.

I can confirm shooting twice at all the paper targets on that stage is good strategy.

#33 Twinkie

Twinkie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,504 posts

Posted 15 April 2016 - 02:46 PM

I can confirm shooting twice at all the paper targets on that stage is good strategy.

You can't trick me. Best 4 per paper, son.

#34 ron169

ron169

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 623 posts
  • LocationSouth Georgia

Posted 15 April 2016 - 03:03 PM

During practice today I set the arrays up similar to stage 8. Left array was 7 yards and right array was around 8 yards away. Used regular paper plate to simulate the PP and 3 6 inch party paper plates to simulate the mini poppers. Best run was 5.43 and worse was mid 6's. Hit factor ranged from low 7's to low 8's. I would guess that HHF for limited will be in mid 7's. Main reason being that I doubt targets will be that close and I didn't have to wait on paper at all since my paper targets were static and not dropping. Further more, due to range limitations, it was one yard from starting point to shooting box. I'm sure it will be further at the match.
I think I'll be happy with a high 6 second low 7 second run at the match

#35 Sweet T

Sweet T

Glock Master Race

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,694 posts

Posted 15 April 2016 - 03:52 PM

You can't trick me. Best 4 per paper, son.

Thatsthejoke.jpeg

#36 ron169

ron169

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 623 posts
  • LocationSouth Georgia

Posted 15 April 2016 - 05:26 PM

Thatsthejoke.jpeg

You definitely fooled me! My practice stage today I was only shooting two per... Glad I read this thread

#37 leas327

leas327

Retarded SME

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,108 posts
  • LocationBendover, Illshowya

Posted 15 April 2016 - 06:37 PM

I like that this article/thread is going to start a whole thing of D class dudes talking about how it's better for them to skip the disappearing targets all the time. A dude on Stoegers podcast said so.
  • peterthefish likes this

#38 NickBlasta

NickBlasta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 500 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 16 April 2016 - 12:23 AM

I like that this article/thread is going to start a whole thing of D class dudes talking about how it's better for them to skip the disappearing targets all the time. A dude on Stoegers podcast said so.

I think that would be a correct thing for them to think.

• BenB and Motosapiens like this

#39 Motosapiens

Motosapiens

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,524 posts

Posted 16 April 2016 - 10:43 AM

+1. my default is to skip them unless there is a compelling reason to shoot them, but maybe that just reflects the lame disappearing targets we see in matches I've been to.

#40 Sprewell

Sprewell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,578 posts
  • LocationBanned

Posted 16 April 2016 - 11:21 AM

I would rather shoot at all the targets available even if it meant dropping down to 6th D instead of being 3rd D.  Obviously a different mindset if it would affect your top 16 placement at nationals.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users