#1 Trigger Warning

Trigger Warning

That's What She Said

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,503 posts
  • LocationRaleighwood

Posted 26 April 2016 - 08:19 AM

The most original concept in shooting equipment reviews:  comparing reloading machines.  You’ve always wondered:  is a Dillon 1050 “worth it” over a Hornady LNL.  Now you’ll know and next time at a cocktail party when somebody brings it up you can cite my groundbreaking and painstaking research as if you came up with it yourself and impress your colleagues and be admitted to MENSA by fiat.

The Rigs:

Hornady LNL Ammo Plant and Dillon 1050 with Mr. Bulletfeeder

1461674337_zpsk14thddk.jpg

1461674323_zpsmgkh4utc.jpg

Cost:  Advantage Hornady.  The Hornady clocks in somewhere around 1100-1200 bucks with dies and the Dillon is about twice that as configured.  From this it’s clear that as long as the Hornady works, the Dillon has to save a lot of time to be “worth” it unless you just like the finer things in life.

Packaging:  The Dillon was packed like they really care about it; the Hornady like they were glad to be getting rid of it.  The Hornady box, though, was covered with exciting graphics of a well ordered reloading space with a gleaming LNL waiting to make precision ammo – not misleading as in a Sea Monkeys ad but wildly optimistic.

Set Up:  Dillon gets the nod overall.  The claim to have set up the machine for the caliber you requested and include a couple of dummy rounds to prove it.  Nice.  Overall it was easy to get ammo moving through the machine fairly quickly after unboxing.  Hornady isn’t terrible, per se, and at least they include a mounting template, but there are many many small parts to assemble. 

General machine layout:   The Dillon gets much praise for its many stations but that’s overblown.  Other than the swaging station, you get no extra room for dies over the Hornady.  Hornady has an advantage with the die bushings that allow you to quickly remove and replace dies without any wrench turning or resetting.  That’s pretty sweet. 

1461674310_zpsxow7xch4.jpg

1461674297_zpshlovwuct.jpg

1461674368_zps6cmhnvrj.jpg

1461674352_zps28obd9lq.jpg

Hornady indexes half a step as the handle is pulled or raised rather than the whole step the Dillon does, which should make it smoother.  However, the Hornady jerked a lot until I pounded in the balls on the shell plate and put grease everywhere so the balls did not seat so aggressively as they reached the detents. 

The Dillon also has a ratchet system that prevents you from short stroking a pull.   On the Dillon the toolhead comes to the shells whereas on the Hornady the shells are raised into the dies, like most reloaders.

In general, the Hornady as a clear advantage for caliber changes or messing with dies due to the bushing system and Dillon has an advantage of just being a generally overall more solid feeling machine, which it seems to me pays off in reliability.

On injured reserve.

#2 Trigger Warning

Trigger Warning

That's What She Said

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,503 posts
  • LocationRaleighwood

Posted 26 April 2016 - 08:27 AM

From Start to Finish, Operation:

Case Collator:  These seem very similar in operation.  They both can be tweaked.  So far, and this can be due to my lack of tweaking the Hornady, the Dillon seems more reliable in send the cases down in the correct orientation.  The Hornady throws one upside down every once in a while, but due to the way the cases come to the shellplate, it is trivial to grab it and flip it. 

Case Feeding:  When the Hornady drops a case from the tube, it lands on a narrow metal strip where it is pushed onto the shellplate.  This is a dangerous high wire balancing act straight from Ringling Bros.  Sudden movements or friction can send the case off the side of the narrow path.  Also, the case must pass over the spring that is used to retain the cases on other stations, and the case sometimes will topple here as well. 

1461674240_zps1f7jba6g.jpg

1461674115_zpsmtu11uyw.jpg

The Dillon however, cradles the case into the shellplate and is a much more reliable feeding system.

1461674126_zpswlbuqqfd.jpg

Case Control:

The Hornady uses a spring to retain the case, which allows you to pull the case out easily and reinsert it easily.

1461674137_zpsmepljgm5.jpg

The Dillon uses a little plug that is easy to remove as well.

1461674161_zpsvd9mirhc.jpg

Sizing and depriming:  Both presses do this task well.  Advantage Hornady due to sending the spent primers down a tube to wherever you want them to go versus going into a cup on the Dillon that must be emptied every so often.  The cup sounded a lot worse on the internet than it has proven to be in real life.  It’s no issue to grab it, dump it, and put it back.  Still, the tube rules.

1461674161_zpsvd9mirhc.jpg

1461674178_zpsubhk9nwu.jpg

Swaging:  Advantage Dillon.  If swaging is big to you, this is a big advantage.

Priming:  Advantage Dillon.  Both machines prime well.  The Dillon comes with a low primer alarm which is nice and a rod for the tube that is not positioned to be splintered by the case collator if it sways a bit. 

1461674208_zps8uomvxbm.jpg

1461674189_zpstgx4swmq.jpg

The big advantage is Dillon primes on the downstroke so you don’t have to worry about accomplishing this task by feel on the upstroke.  This one thing to me makes operating the machine less a chore more thant I thought it would.

Powder drop and case expander:  They both drop the powder I use accurately by my needs.  The Dillon is slightly dumb in that it has a bolt head to turn to adjust throw versus something you can do without a tool.  Basically though they both work well and I’d call it a draw.

Bullet feeder:  Advantage Mr. Bulletfeeder/Dillon rig.  The Hornady bulletfeeder is one of the loudest devices to ever exist on planet earth.  I can’t/won’t run the thing without hearing protection.  I got past that by insulating inside and outside the bowl but it is unacceptably loud.   Mr. Bulletfeeder makes very little noise.  The Hornady operates until you turn it off whereas Mr. Bulletfeeder stops whenever there is a reasonable amount of bullets in the die feeder.  Also, Mr. Bulletfeeder is adjustable for speed.  The Hornady works well but again it is very very loud.

Overall Impressions with Use:

Hornady:  Set up was some puzzle solving, and several internet tips were used to get the machine running well.  But it does run well and can load ammo fairly rapidly.  However, you have to keep your head on a swivel and deal with the occasional jam of various sorts.  I’m sure it’s all my fault, but rare – very rare – would be the time where I could load 100 rounds without having to fix something (flipped or tipped case, dropped bullet, primer, whatever).   The ball handle was very annoying and it was worth it to replace with a handler similar to the one that comes with the Dillon.

Dillon:  Set up was easy.  Mainly, it was just assembling the powder drop.  The machine feels more stable than the Hornady and all around more precise in its operations.  There is a reason why an automation market exists for this press and not the Hornady.  It is so reliable that intervention during operation is not the issue as it is on the Hornady.  Pulling the handle, the operation is smoother and steadier on the Dillon and you can certainly go faster with it, if that is a desire.

Net summary:  the 1050 is worth it if you can afford it and not if you can’t.  The Hornady will work, but the Dillon works better, more reliably and saves you time.  If your time is worth something, that should enter into the equation.  The exception to this is if you will load several different calibers in limited quantities; in this case the quick transition of the Hornady could overwhelm the gain the Dillon gives you after set up.

Short answer.  Get the Dillon unless you are poor or only want to do modest quantities of ammo of several caliber types.  The end.

• Stubb likes this

On injured reserve.

#3 ToddKS

ToddKS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts
  • LocationGetting killed in the streets

Posted 26 April 2016 - 08:48 AM

You should get a 1050 no matter what. If you are poor you can pull the handle instead of getting an auto drive.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

• Miculek is a Noob likes this

#4 peterthefish

peterthefish

Banned.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,999 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 09:02 AM

The AP should be compared against the 650 with casefeeder and MBF. That is all.

#5 Vagetarian

Vagetarian

I used to have 3 warning points.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,981 posts
  • LocationLightyears from Ben's nuts.

Posted 26 April 2016 - 09:02 AM

Thanks for spending all that time comparing a Chevette to an E63AMG.  If you were going to do a comparative analysis with the LNL the 650 is the closest thing in the Dillon line but blows the doors off the Hornady.  Die bushings are for single stage presses, tool heads are for progressives.  I have 5 quick change calibers set up for my 650 including powder measures with the drop already set for the preferred powder for each caliber.  Zero adjustment required to switch.  Hardest part is getting the brass out of the case feeder.  

• Miculek is a Noob and Intel6 like this

Kitten_zps66d94599.jpg
I just man-handled that prick with my Type-A personality.
Dipshit tard duckweed goat humper.

You're all a bunch of fucking idiots and retards!

#6 Trigger Warning

Trigger Warning

That's What She Said

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,503 posts
  • LocationRaleighwood

Posted 26 April 2016 - 09:08 AM

I can't compare the 650 since I don't have one.  But, while you guys know the 1050 is balls out better than the LNL AP people still ask the question is it really better and is it "worth" it.  If you weren't all cloistered up in your country clubs and mansions you'd know that's a question being asked in single wide trailers across America every day.  Yes the 1050 is fucking awesome.  That may seem obvious but only because it is.  

Anyway people beat to death the debate of a 650 v a 1050 and an LNL v a 650 so via the transitive property of internet BS equality, you can directly compare anything to anything.

On injured reserve.

#7 Vagetarian

Vagetarian

I used to have 3 warning points.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,981 posts
  • LocationLightyears from Ben's nuts.

Posted 26 April 2016 - 09:29 AM

If I lived in a trailer I'd just steal your 1050 and be done with it.  I paid zero dollars for all of my reloading gear because hustling.  I had a 1050 and sold it because at the time it was more important to have multiple calibers than max output or swaging which is about the only real advantage the 1050 has over the 650 other than more reliable automation possibilities.  I can and will get another 1050 eventually because at some point in the future someone will decide to get out of reloading or die and I will buy all of his shit for well below market value, keep what I want and then sell off the rest and still make a profit.  God bless America.

Kitten_zps66d94599.jpg
I just man-handled that prick with my Type-A personality.
Dipshit tard duckweed goat humper.

You're all a bunch of fucking idiots and retards!

#8 1-4 Actual

1-4 Actual

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 09:53 AM

https://www.youtube....h?v=DMcsMDVnFlE

#9 Miculek is a Noob

Miculek is a Noob

V.C.R.O.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,865 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 09:56 AM

PLEASE dupe this post on Enos so everyone can work themselves into a lather arguing about it. No one here is going to even think about a controversy, other than ridicule you for having a "handle" on your press (which everyone knows should be run by coal-fired electric power plants).

• ToddKS, peterthefish and Trigger Warning like this

#10 fivebyfive

fivebyfive

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 26 April 2016 - 03:01 PM

The next best thing to having a 1050 with all the bells and whistles is having a friend with one. I saved thousands of dollars and he gets the joy of my company whenever I need ammo. Win-win.

I do have a LNL without the bullet and case feeder. It is good for small small runs in different calibers which is all I use it for. MUCH easier than swapping on the 1050. It is cheap and it works but I wouldn't want to do large quantities on it.
  • GuanoLoco likes this

Six men came to kill me one time. And the best of 'em carried this. It's a Callahan full-bore auto-lock. Customized trigger, double cartridge thorough gauge. It is my very favorite gun. I call it Vera.

#11 Scott

Scott

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 27 April 2016 - 06:01 AM

I started with an LnL.  For the sake of society, I ran it over with my truck and bought a 1050.  If I had to keep using that red piece of shit someone was gonna die.  

#12 adoo

adoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 27 April 2016 - 06:43 AM

I will post a pic of my loading room that will make you cry in envy. 

#13 Trigger Warning

Trigger Warning

That's What She Said

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,503 posts
  • LocationRaleighwood

Posted 27 April 2016 - 07:26 AM

Do that - awesome reloading spaces are an inspiration.

On injured reserve.

#14 GuanoLoco

GuanoLoco

Minister of Culture

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,245 posts
  • LocationMy Safe Space

Posted 27 April 2016 - 07:47 AM

Do that - awesome reloading spaces are an inspiration.

http://www.doodiepro...-18#entry136300
  • Trigger Warning likes this
Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

You'll never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

In Doodie, Veritas.

"You might be a little thin-skinned for this forum". -Scott.

#15 Trigger Warning

Trigger Warning

That's What She Said

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,503 posts
  • LocationRaleighwood

Posted 27 April 2016 - 08:24 AM

That is excellent.  Mark 7 is the centerpiece of ballerness.  Lots of space for everything which is great.  I've still got some work to go to move other things away from the reloading area so I can get better organized.  Unless I'm missing it there's a warning point for having lots of primer tubes instead of an RF100.  

On injured reserve.

#16 barry owens

barry owens

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,745 posts

Posted 27 April 2016 - 08:34 AM

Sweet! but those cabinets make me think perhaps that is a lair for something else?

familyguy-herbertoldguy.gif?w=464&h=348

Full Retard Custom Guns

M-m-m-making shooters h-h-h-happy, since 2012.......no refunds.

WARNING!!!!! My posts contain no actual shooting value.

#17 GuanoLoco

GuanoLoco

Minister of Culture

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,245 posts
  • LocationMy Safe Space

Posted 27 April 2016 - 10:02 AM

Yes, my plan is to lure unsuspecting people over to fill my primer tubes as I still don't have an RF100. That and case gauge my ammo.

My diabolical plan for global world reloading domination is almost complete. Muahahahahha!
Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

You'll never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

In Doodie, Veritas.

"You might be a little thin-skinned for this forum". -Scott.

#18 ZachJ

ZachJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,127 posts
  • LocationBC Canada

Posted 27 April 2016 - 12:36 PM

Yes, my plan is to lure unsuspecting people over to fill my primer tubes as I still don't have an RF100. That and case gauge my ammo.

My diabolical plan for global world relaoding domination is almost complete. Muahahahahha!

Vibraprime?

Deliberate, then obliterate.™

I am unafraid to miss.

#19 ron169

ron169

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 623 posts
  • LocationSouth Georgia

Posted 27 April 2016 - 01:11 PM

I load in a LNL... But then again, I'm a poor government employed slappie. My only personal beef was I couldn't get the priming fiction to work so I hand prime. Would bitch, but haven't had a failure to ignite in 3 years so gun always go bang. Bought a case feeder yesterday and gong to install it today. Don't have the plate yet so I won't know how it works for a couple weeks.

#20 ToddKS

ToddKS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts
  • LocationGetting killed in the streets

Posted 27 April 2016 - 02:41 PM

Fuck hand priming. Sell your car and buy a 1050. You can always bum a ride to work.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: blue, red, dumb, awesome

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users