That's What She Said

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,503 posts
  • LocationRaleighwood

Posted 15 May 2016 - 03:06 PM

Ammobot is great.

1463322677_zpsneto6uiz.jpg

It takes just a few minutes to hook up to the 1050 and takes the same bolt hole pattern.  Excellent.  It doesn’t have a web browser or coffee maker or wi-fi or anything other than what it takes to pull the handle on a Dillon 1050 and stop doing that when primers run out or it hits an obstacle.  It comes with the handle drive assembly, a control box with 50 cal stop button, and a grey box with another stop button.

1463322632_zpsgblkzfpc.jpg

1463322706_zpscvzpdgxq.jpg

1463322730_zpslnrmfvbm.jpg

A Mark 7 could be way more baller and I don’t have a judgment on it – yet.  I know:  DIGITAL CLUTCH!  The Ammobot doesn’t have that but if it does hit an obstacle it will stutter and then halt itself.  Here’s what it did to a toppled bullet before stopping itself (installed the Mr. Bulletfeeder expander after this and no more toppled bullets). 

1463320980_zpsed4hnbrt.jpg

100% happy with the Ammobot.  It does what I want it to, and when the 1050 is tuned it will churn out the ammo.  Maximum efficiency.

• LostWorm likes this

On injured reserve.

#2 Desk Pop

Desk Pop

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • LocationNear the Keg

Posted 15 May 2016 - 05:53 PM

Yea... I'm digging it too. Simple, no-frills and exactily as advertised. This is my first venture into automated reloading so I can't say if it's better or worse than any other. However, I really like being able to run the press with the manual handle instead of the motor on occasion.

One thing I absolutely needed was an 11" hi-flow fan to cool the motor.  It would get too hot to touch at about the 700 round mark into a 1000 batch run at 1200 rph.  

• LostWorm likes this

#3 Trigger Warning

Trigger Warning

That's What She Said

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,503 posts
  • LocationRaleighwood

Posted 15 May 2016 - 05:57 PM

Interesting tip on the fan. I've been doing smaller batches 100-200 but I'll get one set up before I cut loose with it.

I like the easy manual function as well. You can do the little things around the press you want to do and then let it go when you are ready to produce a bunch of rounds.

On injured reserve.

#4 ToddKS

ToddKS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts
  • LocationGetting killed in the streets

Posted 15 May 2016 - 08:06 PM

You need the fan. I actually have 2. One blowing from back to font, the other blowing from the left side. Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

#5 GuanoLoco

GuanoLoco

Minister of Culture

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,245 posts
  • LocationMy Safe Space

Posted 15 May 2016 - 09:36 PM

A bunch of finned heat sinks plus fans required - is the motor undersized or something?
Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

You'll never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

In Doodie, Veritas.

"You might be a little thin-skinned for this forum". -Scott.

#6 SomeGuy

SomeGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 15 May 2016 - 09:48 PM

I use this fan and it seems to work just fine.
Holmes Mini High Velocity Personal Fan, HNF0410A-BM https://www.amazon.c...a_2luoxb8Y4T61X

#7 peterthefish

peterthefish

Banned.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,999 posts

Posted 16 May 2016 - 06:23 AM

Meh. Too hot for a person to touch comfortably doesn't necessarily equal overheating / over stressing motor. We just perceive that to be the case - "that's hot enough to burn me, must be bad for the motor".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#8 Trigger Warning

Trigger Warning

That's What She Said

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,503 posts
  • LocationRaleighwood

Posted 16 May 2016 - 06:42 AM

Checked out the ammobot website to see what they said about a fan and saw this headline, which I fully expected to see immediately after setting mine up (they do offer an upgrade should one want for a reasonable price):

"IT'S OFFICIAL, THE REVISION 2 MODEL OF THE AMMOBOT AUTO DRIVE FOR THE DILLON 1050 IS LIVE!"

So I have to edit my review in fairness and say it does have a USB connection now which is kind of a bell or whistle and apparently it gets plenty hot enough to keep your coffee warm or maybe brew a cup.

• LostWorm likes this

On injured reserve.

#9 Jay870

Jay870

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 16 May 2016 - 01:10 PM

I've been assured that one or more appendages will be amputated by the exposed chain sprocket, and that is if I am lucky enough to not have my skull crushed by the flailing handle in the first minutes of operation.

• Miculek is a Noob, barry owens and t3p_guy like this

#10 GuanoLoco

GuanoLoco

Minister of Culture

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,245 posts
  • LocationMy Safe Space

Posted 16 May 2016 - 01:43 PM

The thoughts did cross my mind...

In Doodie, Veritas.

#11 PkSpawn

PkSpawn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 May 2016 - 04:27 PM

They use a servo  motor, they get hot when used. That is normal. Search the 3D printers, and you will see people that are adding fans and heat sinks to the motors in them cause they get hot also. Perfectly normal. I don't know if it affects the life of the motor or not.

The exposed chains and handle? Don't stick your fingers in the chains, place/locate your press accordingly. The handle really isn't as bad as it looks and yes it looks like a flailing hammer in Donkey Kong just trying to smash your head. Be more concerned that when a case gets a little sideways the machine will launch it out like a slingshot and keep running like nothing happened.

Ammobot designers have it setup with the idea that the user doesn't leave the machine. They stand there and watch it while holding the kill switch. They are not trying to design a camdex/ammoland that you just fill up and walk away from. (which at this time is why they will not developed a motor for the dillon 650) 

I find it funny how people that run around with guns get scared/concerned over the silliest things. Had a match with a chainsaw prop and shooters freaked cause it was a working chainsaw, and wanted the sparkplug pulled. You know, cause it might start itself and start cutting people.

The new version finally fixed what I considered a huge flaw. When it jammed, it would raise the handle up, ejecting an uncrimped round into the finish bin. Or whatever was in the last station. Thus the importance of holding the stop switch and being there to stop it. The latest version resolves that issue.

#12 peterthefish

peterthefish

Banned.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,999 posts

Posted 16 May 2016 - 04:49 PM

I will say the lack of a plastic guard over the chain is surprising... Some pretty dumb people reload, I'd imagine some subset of them automate their presses.

#13 GuanoLoco

GuanoLoco

Minister of Culture

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,245 posts
  • LocationMy Safe Space

Posted 16 May 2016 - 05:04 PM

I heard a rumor than AmmoBot would even sell to known Doodies.

In Doodie, Veritas.

#14 getloaded

getloaded

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 16 May 2016 - 05:46 PM

There some bells and whistles for them already and more on the way.  The primer pocket probe is essential if you are 45 ACP loader.  No more SPP crushes, or if you are SPP 45 guy, no more empty pockets spilling powder everywhere.

• LostWorm likes this

#15 dansedgli

dansedgli

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 16 May 2016 - 05:54 PM

Do they do a 240 v option yet?

#16 Buck Turgidson

Buck Turgidson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,310 posts
  • Locationthe command bunker

Posted 16 May 2016 - 07:10 PM

Put a dildo on the end of the crank and send a video to fuckingmachines.com

• peterthefish and Will like this

I need something to do while shooting, and thinking about titties is too distracting  - Stubb

#17 Miculek is a Noob

Miculek is a Noob

V.C.R.O.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,865 posts

Posted 17 May 2016 - 02:18 PM

No more SPP crushes, or if you are SPP 45 guy, fuck you.

• Mistadobalina likes this

#18 aceinyerface

aceinyerface

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,166 posts

Posted 22 May 2016 - 04:59 AM

I run 1000 rds at a time @ 1500 rds/hr and the motor is never more than warm, I don't need the fan for what I do. 

It would be awesome if the handle was breaking bricks like a karate master. It actually just pushes something like your hand out of it's way or if it encounters enough resistance, it just stops the machine.

The chain is open, beware! It looks like it will fuck you up if you stick a finger in it. If you want to test this out, I recommend not using your own fingers!!

(Oddly enough, I thought the same thing at the age of 10 when I would work on my own BMX bike. I never got anything more than a shoelace stuck in the chain.)

If you regularly have your 2 year old playing in your spent primers, own a bicycle helmet, eat tofu, or otherwise are given to dumbassery, this is not the machine for you.

• LostWorm likes this

#19 Trigger Warning

Trigger Warning

That's What She Said

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,503 posts
  • LocationRaleighwood

Posted 22 May 2016 - 05:22 AM

Definitely Mark 7 for maximum safety. Until they come up with a remote operation app or a 10 ft poking stick for activating the tablet, this modest additional safety shield will have to do.

1463915784_zpsroyjmhza.jpg

On injured reserve.

#20 Trigger Warning

Trigger Warning

That's What She Said

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,503 posts
  • LocationRaleighwood

Posted 22 May 2016 - 06:13 AM

Realizing that automated reloading leaves the operator with additional training or activity time, Ammobot rather than being a safety nazi has gone the other way with some exciting new options.

The Ragnar addition allows for testing new shield wall technology or adding to the wood stock for the coming winter:

1463916914_zpsjfkndcxl.jpg

The Undead addition allows the reloading machine to assist in fighting off ravenous hordes while the shooter reloads:

1463917420_zpskndp9sme.jpg

The Shogun addition allows the warrior to practice basic Kenjutsu while the machine replenishes the ballistic stock:

1463917378_zpstm7qityx.jpg

• Stubb, SleepyCouncil, Jay870 and 10 others like this

On injured reserve.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users