#1 WJM

WJM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • LocationS.L.U.T

Posted 16 May 2016 - 09:18 PM

At Area 1 this weekend, the staff did an amazing job. This is by NO means a knock on them whatsoever. They awarded according to USPSA's rules, and gave out awards based on class and division participation. As such minimum of 3 people in a class and division to get a plaque, and if there is 10 there are 3 places (I believe, then again someone will inevitably correct me).

Many thought that this was bullshit to not recognize the winners of each division. However, there have been many matches I have attended that recognize the top 5 shooters in each division, and inevitably someone will bitch and moan that they didn't earn a justified award, or juniors didn't get a fair award.

So I thought, what about combining the ideas, and do class awards and division overall awards! Good idea right? Well then I did the math. If you consider 5 real divisions, with 6 real classes, and a top 3 for each class in each division, that gives you 18 awards per division, and 5 divisions, which equates to 90 awards. Plus, you have the typical high junior, high super senior, and senior awards for each division. Add that in, and its at 105 awards. Now lets consider the idea of top 3 in a division on top of that, and all of the sudden you are up to 120 awards.

Considering not everyone could even stay awake for the entire Area 1 championship awards, and they had much closer to 60 awards, the idea of 120 is fucking crazy.

So why not cut all this shit out, and do top 5 for each division. Don't award any bullshit fluff, and call it good?

Just some thoughts I had.

Wyatt

#2 Trigger Warning

Trigger Warning

That's What She Said

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,503 posts
  • LocationRaleighwood

Posted 16 May 2016 - 09:23 PM

Reading these Area 1 threads, it's pretty clear that that region's relaxation on the personal use of weed is having a big effect and the good stuff has hit the street.

On injured reserve.

#3 Motosapiens

Motosapiens

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,524 posts

Posted 16 May 2016 - 09:56 PM

I would like to go on record as saying that 'class' awards are retarded and only encourage sandbagging and discourage practice and improvement.

I got beat by a 12 yr old girl, so I skipped the awards and drove straight home to my dogs and wife and got home in time for some hockey on tv and beer. i win.

• waktasz, slemmo, Woodieproject and 4 others like this

2013 National Champion C class  Limited 10

#4 (Sh)ItJustGotReal

(Sh)ItJustGotReal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 922 posts

Posted 16 May 2016 - 10:49 PM

Class awards are fucking stupid.  Any plaques that I win go straight into the trash or get shot up.  

• Mr_White likes this

#5 pmt

pmt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 17 May 2016 - 12:24 AM

... If you consider 5 real divisions, ...

Just some thoughts I had.

Wyatt

If you include Open & Limited, you have 7 real divisions.

#6 NickBlasta

NickBlasta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 500 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 17 May 2016 - 01:35 AM

I don't give a shit but personally I found it confusing that they went full carebear with a random prize table, but then didn't go full carebear by awarding everyone 1st in class. Mixed messages, man.

• Mr_White and Buck Turgidson like this

#7 Ben

Ben

MFCEO

• Administrators
  • 2,269 posts

Posted 17 May 2016 - 05:01 AM

At Area 1 this weekend, the staff did an amazing job. This is by NO means a knock on them whatsoever. They awarded according to USPSA's rules, and gave out awards based on class and division participation. As such minimum of 3 people in a class and division to get a plaque, and if there is 10 there are 3 places (I believe, then again someone will inevitably correct me).

Many thought that this was bullshit to not recognize the winners of each division. However, there have been many matches I have attended that recognize the top 5 shooters in each division, and inevitably someone will bitch and moan that they didn't earn a justified award, or juniors didn't get a fair award.

Dude, the fact that you need to tiptoe around the issue on this shows how fucked the culture in the sport is.

​They held a shooting event and did not recognize the division winners of the event. That is fucking retarded. The MD fucked this up... big time. Its ok, you can just say it.

• subQ and Doc like this

#8 dansedgli

dansedgli

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 17 May 2016 - 05:56 AM

Big time.

I can't think of another sport where they give fucking everyone a prize.

Ladies and Juniors sure.  If your old you shouldn't win shit. You could have won stuff when you were younger. If your not very good, you shouldn't win shit. Shoot more and get better.

There is an ex GM that shoots at my local club, he still kicks everyone's ass and he is old. Doesn't need a special category.

The best thing I have heard today is that guns weren't given away to division winners at my last nationals because it isn't fair that people who didn't do as good don't get the same prize.

WTF.

#9 Strick

Strick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 17 May 2016 - 06:23 AM

Just as bad as Area 6.  Give guns and cash to class winners but the guy that finishes in the top 3 overall in a division of 150 shooters received absolutely nothing.  But hey as long as the "high D" shooter, that was in 80th place or something, goes home happy that is all that matters.

"oh you are GM so you have to win or you get nothing".  What kind of dumbassery is that, work hard enough to get to the top of the sport but if you don't win, even if you beat every other shooter in the match you are deemed to suck.

• MilkMyDuds likes this

#10 Woodieproject

Woodieproject

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts

Posted 17 May 2016 - 06:56 AM

So why not cut all this shit out, and do top 5 for each division.

That is a good idea. All five dudes who shot CO would've gotten an award then. Neat.
  • LeadChucker and ZackJones like this
Bonafide asshole

#11 Sprewell

Sprewell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,578 posts
  • LocationBanned

Posted 17 May 2016 - 07:27 AM

Just as bad as Area 6.  Give guns and cash to class winners but the guy that finishes in the top 3 overall in a division of 150 shooters received absolutely nothing.  But hey as long as the "high D" shooter, that was in 80th place or something, goes home happy that is all that matters.

"oh you are GM so you have to win or you get nothing".  What kind of dumbassery is that, work hard enough to get to the top of the sport but if you don't win, even if you beat every other shooter in the match you are deemed to suck.

As I understand this; the theory is that the prize for the D class shooter was paid for by the D class entry fees.  It kind of makes sense looking at it like that other than the sandbagging douche bag element.

• Conspiracy Brother likes this

#12 Peally

Peally

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,855 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 17 May 2016 - 07:32 AM

I think everyone nailed it. 1 out of 3 people getting an award in a 300 person event is fucking ridiculous, let alone not recognizing the actual winners. Give out participation or "class winner" ribbons and save the actual plaques and trophies for people that actually practice their ass off to get better. If some GM destroys national champion level shooters they should get a little more recognition than some fully capable jackoff that hasn't practiced a day in his life.

#13 Strick

Strick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 17 May 2016 - 07:43 AM

As I understand this; the theory is that the prize for the D class shooter was paid for by the D class entry fees.  It kind of makes sense looking at it like that other than the sandbagging douche bag element.

No, that makes no sense at all, they all shot the same match in the same division.

#14 GuanoLoco

GuanoLoco

Minister of Culture

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,245 posts
  • LocationMy Safe Space

Posted 17 May 2016 - 08:00 AM

This is going to save me a ton of practice time and money.

New goal: Class domination outside of my preferred division; I will just tank classifiers from here on out - they don't have that many match points anyhow.
Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

You'll never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

In Doodie, Veritas.

"You might be a little thin-skinned for this forum". -Scott.

#15 Woodieproject

Woodieproject

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts

Posted 17 May 2016 - 08:07 AM

The conflict is not in how awards are given out but in purpose / mix of the game. In other sports pros are rated and rewarded on absolute results only, while amateurs are separated from pros and divided into skill level categories. They do get their trophies within their classes as this does increase participation and does reward people who do their best within personal constraints of time, physical abilities, age etc. 

You can't mix pros, semi-pros, pro wanabes, super motivated people with everyone else and have a unified attitude to awards and recognition. 

Bonafide asshole

#16 GuanoLoco

GuanoLoco

Minister of Culture

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,245 posts
  • LocationMy Safe Space

Posted 17 May 2016 - 08:12 AM

I get it but even then I'd have to agree that not recognizing Division winners is a mistake.
Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

You'll never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

In Doodie, Veritas.

"You might be a little thin-skinned for this forum". -Scott.

#17 Strick

Strick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 17 May 2016 - 08:16 AM

The conflict is not in how awards are given out but in purpose / mix of the game. In other sports pros are rated and rewarded on absolute results only, while amateurs are separated from pros and divided into skill level categories. They do get their trophies within their classes as this does increase participation and does reward people who do their best within personal constraints of time, physical abilities, age etc. 

You can't mix pros, semi-pros, pro wanabes, super motivated people with everyone else and have a unified attitude to awards and recognition. 

Again, that makes no sense.  There are what 5 maybe 10 "pros" in USPSA?  Besides the fact that argument is just a way of justifying sucking and not practicing it really fucks over the so called "wannabes" and "super motivated".  They work to get to the top of the sport, get beat by 1 maybe 2 people out of 100-150 people and they get jack because now they compete against the people you say are "pro".  How about treating it like an actual competition and rewarding performance not just participation.

#18 waktasz

waktasz

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,090 posts

Posted 17 May 2016 - 08:20 AM

So this is all about the guy who won and ended up with a First place M trophy, instead of Division Winner trophy?

Or is it secretly just a knock on the Team SIG GM who got beat by the M class division winner?

Haters.

• Twinkie, LeadChucker and MilkMyDuds like this

#19 Sprewell

Sprewell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,578 posts
  • LocationBanned

Posted 17 May 2016 - 08:25 AM

In my case, as a sucky and not particularly motivated shooter, I have no problem paying my fair share of the match expenses.  On the other hand, I don't want to subsidize  prizes that I have zero chance of winning.

#20 Strick

Strick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 17 May 2016 - 08:31 AM

In my case, as a sucky and not particularly motivated shooter, I have no problem paying my fair share of the match expenses.  On the other hand, I don't want to subsidize  prizes that I have zero chance of winning.

But it is ok for GM's to subsidize prizes for D shooters?  No matter how awesome they are, only one can win.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users