#1 Yard Sale

Yard Sale

OK, boomer.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,221 posts
  • Locationbottom of the results sheet

Posted 19 May 2016 - 12:40 PM

I need some drills and exercises for moving into and out of positions. What have you got? Live fire, dry fire, or no fire.

I'm old and fat with short legs. This is how I look on a field course:

tumblr_nifzwe3F9m1s94lfqo7_400.gif

Team F.T.P.

our guns are lubricated with the tears of crooked cops

#2 waktasz

waktasz

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,090 posts

Posted 19 May 2016 - 01:14 PM

Rocky-Steps-69289.gif

#3 Motosapiens

Motosapiens

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,524 posts

Posted 19 May 2016 - 01:21 PM

variations of anderson's 'call it and leave it drill' (dryfire and occasional live fire) has been helping me, but I suck far more than you do.

2013 National Champion C class  Limited 10

#4 Flexmoney

Flexmoney

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,765 posts

Posted 19 May 2016 - 01:26 PM

move how you need to move

• Twinkie, ToddKS and Moustache6 like this

Unless otherwise noted, expect that all my posting here is in true Doodie fashion.  If my post somehow upsets your sensibilities, well...there ya go.  

#5 Shithead23

Shithead23

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
  • LocationAmerican desert

Posted 19 May 2016 - 03:00 PM

Crossfit mothafucka!

L2683

#6 Vagetarian

Vagetarian

I used to have 3 warning points.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,982 posts
  • LocationLightyears from Ben's nuts.

Posted 19 May 2016 - 03:11 PM

Find a police dog and strap meat to your junk.  You'll move.

Kitten_zps66d94599.jpg
I just man-handled that prick with my Type-A personality.
Dipshit tard duckweed goat humper.

You're all a bunch of fucking idiots and retards!

#7 busdriver

busdriver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 19 May 2016 - 03:25 PM

I set up two dry fire targets on opposite ends of a short hallway and basically run wind sprints between them with a par time for down and back.  The hallway acts as a vision barrier and a fault line depending on where you put the targets.  

But I'm a dregs of B class schlub, so take that for what you paid for it.

#8 Sweet T

Sweet T

Glock Master Race

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,694 posts

Posted 19 May 2016 - 03:28 PM

variations of anderson's 'call it and leave it drill' (dryfire and occasional live fire) has been helping me, but I suck far more than you do.

This is a staple in my dry fire training.

#9 Larry Costa

Larry Costa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 797 posts

Posted 19 May 2016 - 09:45 PM

This Anderson drill seems pretty cool.  Somebody please share.  I don't remember it from when I took his class a few years ago.

Because of who I am dawg = EABOD

#10 J.A.Nine

J.A.Nine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 20 May 2016 - 06:13 AM

MFCEO had a similar drill in his class: steel plate, barrel stack, paper, paper, paper, barrel stack, steel plate. Start at one end, shoot steel, shoot paper on the move, shoot steel. Vary the order or way you shoot the paper as you run back and forth.

Ben told me, "Grip it harder."

#11 Flexmoney

Flexmoney

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,765 posts

Posted 20 May 2016 - 07:44 AM

Have you thought of dance classes?  

• Stubb likes this

Unless otherwise noted, expect that all my posting here is in true Doodie fashion.  If my post somehow upsets your sensibilities, well...there ya go.  

#12 Woodieproject

Woodieproject

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts

Posted 20 May 2016 - 08:12 AM

I've done that. Helps to score big points very fast. 

Bonafide asshole

#13 Motosapiens

Motosapiens

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,524 posts

Posted 20 May 2016 - 08:40 AM

This Anderson drill seems pretty cool.  Somebody please share.  I don't remember it from when I took his class a few years ago.

his basic version is 2 shooting boxes 6' apart, 1 steel plate (i use 10" at 10 yards). run from box to box, shooting (and calling) 1 shot at the plate each time. I made it 2 shots on the steel because I needed work on my grip and shot calling on the 2nd shot. 

I usually start in one box, draw as I'm moving to the other, and then go back and forth for 5 shooting positions (10 shots) since that's what my gun holds. One of the things that is valuable is the back and forth multiple times. It helps me get into a rhythm and figure out what movement styles work best, and helps me remember to stay low in movement and start quieting my upper body as I'm entering the box to be able to get a good sight picture earlier.

you can also do it ports or shooting around walls, or add some other targets in for whatever you want to work on. For me the fundamental component is at least 5-6 movements on each rep. 

this will also get your heart rate up a little bit and may count as exercise.

• Mistadobalina likes this

#14 GuanoLoco

GuanoLoco

Minister of Culture

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,245 posts
  • LocationMy Safe Space

Posted 20 May 2016 - 09:13 AM

I like it at 4 yards with a full magazine and after being run multiple times is is most assuredly exercise.

I like the varied distance, e.g. 6'/2 yard approach though, and think I may try it with 2 shots on 1 8" steel, or maybe 2 separate 8" plates @ 10 yards next time.
Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

You'll never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

In Doodie, Veritas.

"You might be a little thin-skinned for this forum". -Scott.

#15 ThumblessKorean

ThumblessKorean

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 20 May 2016 - 09:38 AM

no fire Moving in & out drill here.

#16 Motosapiens

Motosapiens

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,524 posts

Posted 20 May 2016 - 10:10 AM

I think drills without a gun may be valuable for some people, but I would prefer to do the same thing while holding a gun. For many folks, athleticism isn't the problem, lots of us have a sports background and are pretty good at moving back and forth quickly. However, until you practice for a bit, people tend to be more hesitant and less explosive while holding a gun. I also find it helpful to work on reloading and muzzle control during some of these drills. Yet another thing to consider is the sight picture as you are setting up.... trying to get on the sights early requires a different technique than lunging to beat a soccer opponent to the ball.

Fortunately I live in a state where no one really cares if I run agility drills with a gun, although if I were doing them at the school playground I would use an airsoft gun or a blue training gun.

#17 NickBlasta

NickBlasta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 500 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 20 May 2016 - 01:37 PM

Call it and leave it is one of my favorite drills too. It teaches position entry and exit but also shot calling. I like to use poppers set to not fall over, so that it also teaches you not to wait for steel feedback. Run to one box, shoot as soon as you can, call the shot and leave immediately without waiting for feedback. Repeat till you get tired or run out of ammo.

I think drills without a gun may be valuable for some people, but I would prefer to do the same thing while holding a gun. For many folks, athleticism isn't the problem, lots of us have a sports background and are pretty good at moving back and forth quickly. However, until you practice for a bit, people tend to be more hesitant and less explosive while holding a gun. I also find it helpful to work on reloading and muzzle control during some of these drills. Yet another thing to consider is the sight picture as you are setting up.... trying to get on the sights early requires a different technique than lunging to beat a soccer opponent to the ball.

Fortunately I live in a state where no one really cares if I run agility drills with a gun, although if I were doing them at the school playground I would use an airsoft gun or a blue training gun.

You're right in that most people can move pretty quick, but I see mostly they have a problem with knowing the best kind of movement for the stage. By that, I mean short steps. Look up at busdriver's post about doing sprints. Lots of people like to long-step it around the course because they think long steps are fast but when you make the switch to a lot of short steps it will really improve your times and position entry/exit.

#18 Motosapiens

Motosapiens

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,524 posts

Posted 20 May 2016 - 03:33 PM

You're right in that most people can move pretty quick, but I see mostly they have a problem with knowing the best kind of movement for the stage. By that, I mean short steps. Look up at busdriver's post about doing sprints. Lots of people like to long-step it around the course because they think long steps are fast but when you make the switch to a lot of short steps it will really improve your times and position entry/exit.

You sure about that? I have run some timed tests and the longer I step, the faster I guy. Nils seems to be a long-stepping guy also (and he and I are built similarly).

#19 ThumblessKorean

ThumblessKorean

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 20 May 2016 - 03:57 PM

I think long vs short step doesn't matter.

Whoever starts engaging sooner will shoot faster time on the timer.

#20 Yard Sale

Yard Sale

OK, boomer.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,221 posts
  • Locationbottom of the results sheet

Posted 20 May 2016 - 04:22 PM

I think long vs short step doesn't matter.

Whoever starts engaging sooner will shoot faster time on the timer.

Whoever leaves first and engages sooner be faster. I have found that the setup costs more time (i.e. potentially saves more time) than the exit. On the exit all you can do is lean toward the new position while engaging the last target, and avoid a Snagglepuss exit.

exit-stage-left-snagglepuss-o.gif

But getting into position and getting that first shot off, well that's where you can pick up a lot of time.

Team F.T.P.

our guns are lubricated with the tears of crooked cops

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users