Stage 1: 2nd   / 22.14s / 144/160 pts / 97.20%

Stage 2: 1st    / 20.29s / 93/95pts      / 100%

Stage 3: 4th   / 9.38s   / 65/65pts      / 83.51%

Stage 5: 7th   / 36.62s / 143/160pts  / 65.58% *2 Misses*

Stage 6: 12th / 27.05s / 157/160pts  / 73.13% *2 No-Shoot*

Stage 7: 3rd  / 34.44s / 151/160pts  / 92.14% *2 No-Shoot*

Stage 8: 8th  / 26.28s / 152/155pts  / 71.80%

https://practiscore.com/results/21053

Keep in mind we were all scored major, and match winner was shooting 9mm in a glock 17 w/ magwell, and aftermarket parts for trigger.

Shot 90.10% of the match winner, who is an A/M Standard. 94% points total before penalties scored major, 89% scored minor. Improving, last match I shot about 70% points.

Stage 1: Meh, too many points dropped if I had been scored minor. First stage of the day. First time shooting a stage seeing the targets in focus.

Stage 2: Also meh, I didn't think I did too well since I had to slide-lock reload. Somehow I fared better than everybody else.

Stage 3: Felt like I took too long. Although seeing all As was nice.

Stage 5: Too many makeups, seeing things all weirdly because of how I used to take targets that are extremely close to each other. Also screwed my grip on draw.

Stage 6: Aimed too close to the no-shoot on both occasions.

Stage 7: I could have shot the clamshell faster, and I could have taken my time on the mini-popper at prone to avoid sending 2 into the no-shoot. Who puts no-shoots behind 3 steel at 25yd anyway?

Stage 8: I had it programmed in my head that I was going to run it a certain way, but it all went to shit because I found a plan that was clearly better than mine. It would have let me skip a position, but the previous stage plan stuck in my head a little. Transitioned onto the mini at 20yd like a boss, I think. Then forgot to reload for the lean, since I thought I was going to need a makeup on the popper for sure. Then I reloaded for a 4-shot array when I shouldn't have. Too much derp in this stage. Think I could have shot it in 22 or so.

Before this match, someone told me the day before that they thought my mag pouch and holster placement probably had 1" more that it could be moved forward. Upon getting home from setup, I found out that with the iliac bisecting plane, I had about 1" of unused space on each side. So I moved everything, and depsite dryfiring for 1hr like a madman to nail reloads and draw last night, I still had to slow down the draw, and occasionally shift vision towards where the mag is coming from.

Also, think this is the first match I've shot where I had targets in focus besides for draw, and reload. That was weird, on the first stage I forgot to even look at my sights, and was just seeing targets like I visualized and shooting. This netted me a lot of Cs for the first stage, good thing I was scored major, otherwise that stage would have shot 80% points. After that, accuracy was fine since I remembered that I also need to get the sight in focus after I drive the gun onto the target except on the steel stage, and on partials.

On partials I am stumped. I don't know whether to aim in the centre of the A-Zone, or centre of the entire available target. I hit 2 no-shoots because I'm aiming in the centre of the exposed A-Zone. Either I need to take more time to ensure As, or say screw that, and aim in the centre of the entire available target.

On the plate rack, and dueling tree stage, my plan went to shit as I started seeing all sorts of weird stuff. Before, I usually just bump the gun over to the next white thing. I think I ended up doing a mix of both focusing on target, and just bumping the gun over. This is likely not being used to focusing on targets that are so close, so probably something that I will be better at with more practice.

Movement draws, and gun pickups are still a place of occasional fuckery. I need to do table starts a bit more, as I screwed up my grip on one. Also, movement draws like when I gotup from the chair and drew, as well as the first stage, are things to work on. Think I'll use the garage when it's empty to practice moving draws. The turning draw with movement was fine, since that was something I practiced on.

Deliberate, then obliterate.™

I am unafraid to miss.

#2 MemphisMechanic

MemphisMechanic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 860 posts
  • LocationMemphis, TN

Posted 05 June 2016 - 10:09 PM

If the no-shoots consist of the array like the one at 2:05 - which is similar to hear you faced in the other stages from what I saw...

Center your sights on the A/C line away from the no shoot. If you fire a group there, half would be Alphas and half would be Charlies. Assuming you do your part and hit what you're sighted on? Eating 50% C's is vastly superior to Alpha-Mike-NoShoot because you decided to flirt with disaster to try to pull of 2 Alphas. Even in Production.

That's what I've been doing and I asked that Ben Stoeger fella about it when he was teaching down here last month. It's his technique as well.
I won an IDPA match once. It was neat.

#3 ZachJ

ZachJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts
  • LocationBC Canada

Posted 05 June 2016 - 10:15 PM

If the no-shoots in question consist of the array at 2:05 in the video...

Center your sights on the A/C line away from the no shoot. If you fire a group there, half would be Alphas and half would be Charlies. Assuming you do your part and hit what you're sighted on? Eating 50% C's is vastly superior to Alpha-Mike-NoShoot because you decided to flirt with disaster to try to pull of 2 Alphas. Even in Production.

That's what I've been doing and I asked that Ben Stoeger fella about it when he was teaching down here last month. It's his technique as well.

It was actually 1:38 on the left, and on the same stage @ 1:47, the 10yd target with no-shoot was the one I hit trying to get As, saw the sight drift up and a hole appear on in the white, immediately looked at a lower portion which happened to be in the C-Zone and sent rounds there for 2C.

On the 25yd targets @ 2:05 I actually aimed in the middle of available A-zone and got 1A 1C on each.

I am unafraid to miss.

#4 MemphisMechanic

MemphisMechanic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 860 posts
  • LocationMemphis, TN

Posted 05 June 2016 - 10:19 PM

Especially when scored Major, there's no reason to try to tuck an A-zone shot in two inches from the noshoot at 10+ yards when you can clip two vastly easier C's at a much more aggressive pace.

It sounds like you discovered the answer on your own.

Alphas are the ideal. Yes. But when they are parked right next to something that will fuck your score over hard...

A/C or 2C begins to look mighty attractive.
  • ZachJ likes this
I won an IDPA match once. It was neat.

#5 MilkMyDuds

MilkMyDuds

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 06 June 2016 - 11:22 AM

You could draw asap before you started moving full speed.  It only slows you down to draw during movement. 

Also you can lower your body/bend your knees a bit more, esp when you are shooting on the move. 

Your reloads, table start/loading, turn and draw need some serious dry-fire, then you will start wrecking faces  :) 

• ZachJ likes this

#6 ZachJ

ZachJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts
  • LocationBC Canada

Posted 08 June 2016 - 10:19 PM

You could draw asap before you started moving full speed.  It only slows you down to draw during movement. 

Also you can lower your body/bend your knees a bit more, esp when you are shooting on the move. 

Your reloads, table start/loading, turn and draw need some serious dry-fire, then you will start wrecking faces   :)

Yeah, I think I'm gonna have to get lower, since that might have been a cause of the Cs and Ds on stage 1. My legs start to straighten out as I reload, which they shouldn't, and idk why they straighten out as I shoot on the move, but I can start dryfiring SOTM keeping myself low.

Besides the change in pouch and holster placement, I've figured out why reloads are inconsistent and I'll be working on changing it. Pickup starts + Loads used to be something I practiced but I haven't dryfired them for a while.

I still can't tell whether focusing on targets has sped up my transitions or not though. It certainly seems to have helped with getting more points.

I am unafraid to miss.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Vision Weirdness, No-Shoot behind Steel, Noob

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users