Photo

CheesyD's School for Kids Who Can't Shoot Good....

• Please log in to reply
105 replies to this topic

#1 CheesyD

CheesyD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 01 August 2016 - 09:22 AM

It's been a weird road to settle on a gun and division and I've flip flopped more than a politician on the debate stage... It went a little like this...

Ooooh I got a great RIA 2011 that runs for $700 with 4 magazines for Limited! Wait, I have to clean a magazine everytime it touches the ground???  I don't like 2011's no I don't... I'm gonna shoot my G34 in Production I am!.... I suck with a Glock, the 2011 is so much better, I'm going to stick with that!... Oooh someone too my Glock 26 in trade for a CZ 75, okay I'm going to shoot Production again... And so here we are. To Stay!

A few weeks ago someone turned me onto Stoeger's dry-fire book so I picked up a copy from Amazon. The "slow but accurate" training schedules fits my style, cause when I don't act like an idgit and shoot properly I'm at 90+% points on the match but way too slow.  I have re-committed myself to a dry-fire routine and that is based on Stoeger's book, with 1 live fire session per month and maybe 1+ match(es) per month as well; all depends on what family duty is required.  

Up at 5am to spend 30 minutes running dry fire drills o' the day. Once done around 5:45 take care of my son's morning requirements while Mom gets up & ready for work then we start off the day.

First drill this morning was the Bill Drill - Right at 2.5 seconds.

What really hangs me is the DA first shot, going "slow" to prevent disrupting the sights. Other part is letting the trigger out too far & resetting to DA again instead of mimicking the SA transition. A HARD grip helps tremendously in keeping the sight alignment. Realized I was calling shots without conscious thought; made up the first shot that I "called" as a D if not a Mike. That was cool!

Second drill - Reloads - Draw, Fire 6, Reload, Fire 6, Reload, Fire 6 - Finishing in 9.5 seconds.

Reloading the CZ is similar to a stock glock but feels like threading a needed after using a giant magazine well/funnel on the limited guns.  Slowing down slightly to visualize the magwell opening & mag interface is crucial right now. Two other big issues to work on during a reload is shifting my grip to reach the magazine release and upon reload, rebuilding the grip.  Several times I flat-out blew the mag release, same for the grip rebuild. I really need to take away the timer, go 60% speed to groove in the muscle memory. I have a core skills day coming up and that will be a top priority.

Looking forward to logging my progress, but here and in the log book at home. My first major was not too long ago at the Texas Open, shot pretty damn well considering a) first major and cool.png first time with a new gun &  in a new platform.  I dry fired for a solid week before that match, it had a direct positive impact; The last last club match I went without dry-fire,  heh, that was a humbling experience! Lesson learned!

#2 Flexmoney

Flexmoney

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,708 posts

Posted 01 August 2016 - 02:41 PM

Lesson learned!

...how I felt when I accidentally clicked into a range diary thread.

Diaries should be private.  GDIAF. 

TLDR

• lpc likes this

Unless otherwise noted, expect that all my posting here is in true Doodie fashion.  If my post somehow upsets your sensibilities, well...there ya go.  

#3 Doc

Doc

Google ( o Y o ) SME

• Moderators
  • 4,071 posts

Posted 01 August 2016 - 03:13 PM

Actually, this one of the few areas on Doodie where members don't shit on other members.

Of course, there will always be sour hearted smart ass exceptions. Ignore them.

Carry on.
  • Gecko 46 likes this
Unload and Show Clear...
tsarbombaexplos2.jpg
"Licorne" French Polynesia 1970

It pins my irony meter when people post things like "your to stupid..."

#4 Will

Will

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,388 posts

Posted 01 August 2016 - 08:31 PM

Sounds like a good start:

Get a good grip
Work good grip to draw
Draw to a consistent index
Then transitions across multiple targets
Work in a reload

Once you are good on those, start doing that plus shooting on the move. If possible, Aim to live fire more than once a month.
  • donkey_punch likes this

#5 nwhpfan

nwhpfan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts

Posted 02 August 2016 - 09:40 AM

Best advise = spend time with a gun.
2nd Best advise = adjust or duplicate.
Read: Ben Stoeger Practical Pistol
Read: Brian Enos, Practical Shooting,Beyond Fundamentals
DF 4-5 per week with a DF plan.

It is a process.
  • Will likes this

#6 CheesyD

CheesyD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 02 August 2016 - 10:07 AM

Doc - If I had thin skin, I wouldn't be here. No worries.

Thanks for the advice. I'm just starting all of this, using Ben's book as a training guide to get started while collecting and reading shooting & mental prep books.  I do plan on using a private range once a month for more dynamic training with an indoor range for refining fundamentals.

#7 Flexmoney

Flexmoney

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,708 posts

Posted 02 August 2016 - 11:39 AM

Actually, this one of the few areas on Doodie where members don't shit on other members.

Please link me to you wonderful range diary.

Unless otherwise noted, expect that all my posting here is in true Doodie fashion.  If my post somehow upsets your sensibilities, well...there ya go.  

#8 Doc

Doc

Google ( o Y o ) SME

• Moderators
  • 4,071 posts

Posted 02 August 2016 - 01:26 PM

Please link me to you wonderful range diary.

Yeah. THAT'S a good idea...

I wouldn't trust you with a burnt out match.

• eahill85 and ZachJ like this
Unload and Show Clear...
tsarbombaexplos2.jpg

#9 Flexmoney

Flexmoney

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,708 posts

Posted 02 August 2016 - 02:22 PM

Don't be scared.  

#10 Doc

Doc

Google ( o Y o ) SME

• Moderators
  • 4,071 posts

Posted 02 August 2016 - 04:28 PM

...obvious troll is obvious.
Unload and Show Clear...
tsarbombaexplos2.jpg

#11 Flexmoney

Flexmoney

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,708 posts

Posted 03 August 2016 - 09:40 AM

It was meant to be.  What you missed are the 3 grabastic replies you gave in this thread already.  ;)

News flash 1:  I was never going to read your diary, nor anybody's diary.  

News flash 2:  The reason people don't doodie in the diaries here on doodie has nothing to do with them being somehow immune from the usual cornucopia of poo.  The reason is as I stated in my first post in this thread.  They are TLDR.

#12 Doc

Doc

Google ( o Y o ) SME

• Moderators
  • 4,071 posts

Posted 03 August 2016 - 11:12 AM

What you missed are the three grabastic replies you have made to my comments...

I love irony.
Unload and Show Clear...
tsarbombaexplos2.jpg

#13 Flexmoney

Flexmoney

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,708 posts

Posted 03 August 2016 - 12:10 PM

Ahhh...so you are trolling me?  Maybe we can get to the 2nd page?

#14 Doc

Doc

Google ( o Y o ) SME

• Moderators
  • 4,071 posts

Posted 03 August 2016 - 02:36 PM

4 more vapid posts each will get us there...

Unload and Show Clear...
tsarbombaexplos2.jpg

#15 CheesyD

CheesyD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 08 August 2016 - 08:31 AM

Got a chance to hit the range on Saturday. Turns out a family friend has 35 acres that I have access to for a private range and the owner wants to build some proper berms! That is going to be fun.

Anyhoo, made up some PVC target stands Friday night, loaded up and hit the range Saturday morning. First time shooting the CZ, first time really shooting a DA/SA gun, and first time running some drills on a timer.  Well the timer is a big issue, iPhone apps suck for a live fire timer!  It was picking up 11 to 47 shots when I only fired 4, must have been some big echoing of the trees and barn down the way. It was difficult to figure out the times for record purposes but could see first shot & some splits.

First drill was the Stoeger dots, that was humbling.  5 yards, 6 shots into a 2" dot... who would have thought it was that difficult? Well it was, didn't have a single clean dot but learned at 5 yards the POI is about 1" low from POA. Didn't run the timer on this one, just wanted to work on a good draw, good grip, sight alignment and trigger pull, especially on the DA.

Second drill was modified 2 reload 2; normally one uses 3 targets but I blew a big hole in my 3rd target stand cross member on accident & broke it. PVC vs. Lead... Lead wins! Haha. On the 4 shot drill, averaged about 1.79 draw to first shot, .39 splits, and 2.2 reload to next shot.  All shot at 5 yards, 2 a/c zone paper targets. I'm happy with the progress, had 2 C's and no Mikes. It feels like I can speed up the shots.  Reloads were painfully slow but I just switched to Ghost 360 pouches with the bullets out... those feel much different from the standard bullets forward I've been using for years.

Third drill was just hammering as fast as I could at 5 yards to see how it felt while watching the sights.  Felt good and in control, no timer on this one. I should start practice with this drill next time to unlock my brain for speedier shooting.

Fourth drill was not so much a drill but longer distance accuracy.  Set up a 4" swinging plate about 20 yards away, worked on clean accurate shots at distance. Didn't do great but if it had been an 8" plate, I'd have rang it 80% of the time as it was hit about 40%.

Big take always - aka what to work on dry fire.

1. Watch the sights while running double action. Keep that front sight rock steady

2. Work reloads over, and over, and over, and over with the new pouch & mag configuration.

3. Don't short stroke the trigger in SA. A few times it did not reset which cause me to tap - rack, thinking there was a jam. Gotta get used to the reset distance on the CZ.

I gotta get a real timer. iPhone is great for dry fire but can't distinguish shots form echos. I also see why practice sessions are much better for getting gooder than a match. It allowed me to identify weaknesses which I will now focus on turning into strengths.

#16 Flexmoney

Flexmoney

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,708 posts

Posted 08 August 2016 - 09:43 AM

I got a kick out of this, btw:

... replies you have made to my comments...

I love irony.

#17 Flexmoney

Flexmoney

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,708 posts

Posted 08 August 2016 - 09:45 AM

TLDR

I gotta get a real timer.  [more blah, blah]

You are well on your way.

#18 CheesyD

CheesyD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 15 August 2016 - 09:46 AM

Missed a few days of dry fire last week cause I f'n over slept, making up for it this week...  Got a chance to revisit my Monday drills and pretty damn surprised at the progress made already. Got a real timer too, much better than the iPhone timer.

First drill - Bill Drill - 2.5 2.25 seconds.

Was able to speed up the draw & sight alignment on the first shot. Grip the shit out of the gun and run the trigger was the mode of the day. Worked speed mode for most of the drill with the last 5 back to "match" mode. Still was able to hit 2.25, very happy.

Second drill - Reloads - Draw, Fire 6, Reload, Fire 6, Reload, Fire 6 - Finishing in 9.5 8 seconds.

Worked on, and only on, reloads for a few days last week, finding the best position for the mag well to accept the incoming magazine. It's a bit awkward feeling, the gun is titled out & to the right a bit more than I'd expect, but it's like hitting the glory hole; slides right in.  Focus on aligning the gun, slapping down to the fresh mag as the old one is moving out and watching the new mag insert sped everything up. Found out that slapping the mag in & rotating the support hand up at the same time allowed the grip rebuilding to happen faster too.  

It's amazing what you learn by doing and not just fucking off on the internet or sleeping.

#19 GuanoLoco

GuanoLoco

Minister of Culture

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,818 posts
  • LocationMy Safe Space

Posted 15 August 2016 - 11:10 AM

Ahhh...so you are trolling me? Maybe we can get to the 2nd base?

FIFY

Get a room.
Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

You'll never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

In Doodie, Veritas.

"You might be a little thin-skinned for this forum". -Scott.

#20 Flexmoney

Flexmoney

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,708 posts

Posted 15 August 2016 - 01:04 PM

FIFY

Get a room.

Will need somebody to hold the light.  You up for that again?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users