Photo

CheesyD's School for Kids Who Can't Shoot Good....

• Please log in to reply
127 replies to this topic

#21 CheesyD

CheesyD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 15 August 2016 - 01:09 PM

Alright guys cut the shit, go find somewhere else to rub peckers.

#22 Flexmoney

Flexmoney

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,764 posts

Posted 15 August 2016 - 04:57 PM

Yoiu tell'um Cheese D.  This is you're place!

• JoeyBagODonuts likes this

Unless otherwise noted, expect that all my posting here is in true Doodie fashion.  If my post somehow upsets your sensibilities, well...there ya go.  

#23 CheesyD

CheesyD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 12 September 2016 - 10:45 AM

Dry firing has fallen off a bit due my lazy ways but back at it last week. Didn't use a timer for drills since I'm transitioning to a new gun again, for the last time!  The Stock 2 is just a great fit for my hands, no way I'm going to something different now.

Hit the range on Saturday for a little under two hours.  Worked on moderately quick group shooting at 25 yards, not bad but not good either. Gained the knowledge of calling my shots and defined my current speed.  Switched over to Accelerator averaged 12.75 seconds going 25 to 15 to 7 yards with good hits then tried 7 to 15 to 25 with an average of 11.5 seconds.  It was surprising that I could go near to far with speed and accuracy.  Light bulb moment was at 25 yards with my splits nearly the same as 15 yards; I'm going too slow on the closer targets.  Most prominent item slowing my times were reloads, most were in the 2.2-2.7 second range. Terribly slow, however, I have not practiced with the Stock 2 reloads in depth yet.

Takeaways:

Push speed in practice - splits & transitions at 15 yards or closer are too slow. Stop being careful in practice - push till the wheels fall off then slow down a hair.

Reloads - Drill the crap out of them in dryfire. Work in 10 minutes of reloads for the next 2 weeks until it is stupid easy.

Draws - Work on fast, efficient, perfect sight picture draws, at all distances. Typically was running 2.5-3.5 first shot at 25 yards and 1.75 at 7 yards. I can speed these up!

Approximately 5 weeks from the Gator Classic, last big match of the year. I won't win but plan to make a top 50% finish. It is achievable and it will happen. 

#24 CheesyD

CheesyD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 24 October 2016 - 08:44 AM

Well my second major is in the books! 37 of 52 in Production. The match was run well, staff was awesome, met some new people and shot with some old friends. Looking forward to going back next year.

Evaluating the match, I didn't hit my placement goal, however, met several of my other goals.

Stage 1 - No Video - 25 A - 1 B - 6 C - Ran the paper well but let the plate rack eat me up; went 4 for 4 then dumped 6 more shots for the last 2 steel. Started thinking and not watching my sights. Stage Finish 36

Stage 2 - First Clip - 24 A - 2 C - Overall good stage, 1 for 1 on steel, watched sights and called shots. Stage Finish 31

Stage 3 - Second Clip - 21 A - 3 C - Another good stage - Overall called shots well - Smoked the swinger, a previous nemesis, and good movement. Stage Finish 21

Stage 4 - Third Clip - 25 A - 7 C - Yet Another good stage - Called shots, good reloads, decent movement - Stage Finish 23

Stage 5 - Fourth Clip - 22 A - 2 B - 4 C - 1 M - No such a good stage - Positives abound though, called most shots, 1 for 1 on steel. Lesson learned - CZ75 mags DO NOT work in a large frame Stock 2, at all.  In the 2nd position the CZ mag stayed for 1 shot then dropped.  This was the first stage Saturday morning, 42*, that is damn cold to a South Texas boy. Stage Finish 40

Stage 6 - No Video - 26 A - 3 C - 3 Mike & 1 FTE - Great stage until the last array - CZ Mag strikes again! I knocked out an extra mag on my belt during a reload then before grabbing the last mag - CZ - at the last array, I was out of bullets, took 3 mikes and 1 FTE. Got back to the cart to clean & reload when I noticed the little bugger. Stage Finish 51

Stage 7 - Fifth Clip - 23 A - 8 C - 1 Mike - Good stage, called my shots - mostly. Probably could have ran the stage a little more efficient, however, I executed my plan well. Stage Finish 26

Stage 8 - Sixth Clip - 11 A - 1 B - 10 C - 2 D - 2 M - Decent stage but pushed for speed over accuracy. Stage Finish 47

Stage 9 - Seventh Clip - 22 A - 1 B - 8 C - 1 M - Another good stage - Good movement, good reloads, executed the plan. I didn't call the Mike, rushed to move too quickly. BEST Stage Finish 17 

Stage 10 - No Video - 29 A - 1 C - 1 D - Stage felt good, called my shots, good reloads. Not sure other than time how I lacked behind the others. Stage Finish 35

I am very happy with my performance. Right off hand the two critical items to work on are moving faster and shooting sooner. I think my splits are good right now, it is the "non-shooting" time that is the droopy fruit. I'll take some more time to review the video and refine my practice goals.

#25 CheesyD

CheesyD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 06 December 2016 - 07:42 AM

So I slacked a little on dry fire leading up to last weekends match, shame on me. However, I finished in 8th place out of 32 shooters and for that I'm very happy! Overall  aggressiveness has improved on position entry, quicker first shots on arrival, and generally moving with a purpose.  Still some low fruit is reloading on the move and calling shots,  both of which are easy enough to work at home.

One thing I cannot figure out, is how the match winner is 50 seconds ahead of me. A few circus props could have a 10-15 second impact but still. Time to book a class with a GM for this spring.

#26 CheesyD

CheesyD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 06 December 2016 - 07:45 AM

Working on some dry fire and live fire although this is my "off" season, here in the South we can shoot year round.

Spent 15 minutes after lunch on the Hopkins transition drill from low ready. Beating par times for drill 1 & 2 and right on for drills 3 & 4. I have the pins setup in my office so it's easy to knock out 10-15 minutes of this drill. I need to find a second holster and single mag pouch to keep at the office.

Put some Speed Shooters scales on the Tanfo last night, not sure how I like them yet.  The profile is about perfect for my hands but still not giving  much bite to the heal of my left palm. Maybe I need to grip harder thereby pushing my left palm into the grip? Dunno, gotta keep experimenting.  With the new grips on, did 10 minutes of draw to site picture. I have to say my issue of searching for the front sight is pretty much gone.  The stock grips were just a tad too large which gave me fits on hitting a repeatable grip and index.  Also did 10 minutes of Burkett reloads while moving forward, back, left and right.  When I move there is a tendency to drop the gun lower & bring it in closer that throws off reloading.  I am concentrating on positioning the gun along the same x/y/z axis (as allowed by the 180) when moving to keep consistency of motions.

Planned live fire practice this coming Saturday. Goals are: Set benchmarks on Blake and El Prez, Work on Moving Sooner / Shooting Sooner.  

The drills I've picked thus far are: Stoeger Dots, Blake Drill, El Prez, Bill Drill @ 7yrd & 25yd Call it & Leave It, Easy Entry & Exit, Stoeger Dots.  If you have any input or suggestions, I'm all ears.

#27 CheesyD

CheesyD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 09:26 AM

Well off-season is over, winter is seemingly gone in southeast Texas as it was 70* on New Year’s Day, and it is time to get back to work.

Got out a little early on the 30th for a little live fire practice before the first heat wave of 2017.  The results were a little disappointing at first but I had not shot a gun in 6 weeks nor had I done any dry fire. So, all in all it was a successful day.

Started out with some accuracy then went to speed, everything at 7 yards.

1.     Stoeger’s Dot Drill – not a clean dot but did find the cadence to shoot within the 5 second time limit.

2.     Bill Drills – Avg. 2.45 seconds dropped 2 C’s out of 6 reps. Draws are slow at 1.36 average.

3.     Blake Drill – Avg. 3.11 seconds. Draws are slow at 1.4, transitions at .5 but splits running .22.

4.     4 Aces – Avg. 3.65 seconds.  Again, draws at 1.42 but reloads were brutal at 1.81 average.

5.     El Prez – Avg. 6.65 seconds. Slower draw to 1.58 and reloads at 1.78, transitions at .53. Average hit factor of 6.42 which nets a 62% classifier from ClassifierCalc.com, putting me into B class which feels right.

I’m very happy with accuracy and splits, and overall time.  I am focusing in dry fire on draw and reload speed; with that I can drop .5 – 1 second off my times in a hurry.

Dry fire started again on Sunday morning and again yesterday, missed this morning due to a bit of laziness and my son waking up at 4am. 

Spent Sunday and Monday morning working on gun handling skills with Anderson’s 30-Minutes a Day drill set from Refinement & Repetition.  Driving the par times down on draws & reloads is my focus right now, along with cleaning up the basics of gun handling.

As of now Burkett reloads are sitting at .8 and draws to 5 yards at .7 and simulated 10 yards at .9. One big portion I’ve added now is using Pro Grip during dry fire to simulate matches. It really does make a difference in how easily one can adjust the grip during draws and reloads.

I’m ready for this year, have my training plan in place, and will be high B if no A by the end of 2017.

Other big plus, I’ve found a club less than an hour from home with proper bays, props, target stand etc. that I will be joining soon in order to live fire more often!

• GuanoLoco likes this

#28 CheesyD

CheesyD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 09:14 AM

Dry fire, dry fire, dry fire! Pushing Burkett reloads down to .6, El Prez in 4.4 and draws to .7 @ 5 yards.

Making my goal of 3 days a week easily, got in 5 days of dryfire last week and already 2 in the books this week.

Using a defined training program long with documenting progress in a daily log is addicting! Looking forward to the match this weekend, weather reports of 80* with a slight chance of rain. Not to mention the classifier match on 1/29, finally get my initial classification after 8 months!

#29 beerbaron

beerbaron

Shagga

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 857 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 09:58 PM

Draws and reloads do need work but I'd say your big low hanging fruit is in transitions. You only draw once a stage. And reloads should only be static on classifiers. But .53 av trans on el prez is what's burning time. There's 4 in el prez alone. You could easily knock those down a tenth - nearly half a second saved on a simple 12 shot stage.

#30 CheesyD

CheesyD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 08:16 AM

Yeah no doubt. I'm having a difficult time picking up the front sight. To start I'm putting a larger bulb on the fiber, if that doesn't work then a thinner front sight will be the next step.

#31 snark

snark

Aberrant Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,072 posts
  • LocationNull Island

Posted 12 January 2017 - 09:28 AM

Nevermind.   Somebody suggested an option that involves buying things.

Use the rules. Don't DQ someone who doesn't do anything DQable. -- Da Beard.

#32 beerbaron

beerbaron

Shagga

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 857 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 09:51 PM

Thinner front sight may be of some help if you are sight fixated and gazing at them too long. It gives larger light bars which will help you more quickly know if it's centered or not.

#33 CheesyD

CheesyD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 06:02 AM

Nailed it Baron. I'm going to order a thinner sight today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#34 CheesyD

CheesyD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 11:43 AM

Shot my first match of 2017 last weekend, overall went okay. I'm not happy with my performance but shooting a new gun for the first time will do that.  Yeah I switched again, bought a Sig P320 RX to shoot carry optics, always had an interest in red dots, however, that it is scratched.

1st of 4 in Carry Optics over septuagenarians and retards. 21st of 67 overall, stats show I would have placed 3rd of 20 in production. Pretty damn happy as I beat a lot of B & C class shooters across the divisions.

Movement into and out of position was better, made progress with shooting on the move as well.  You'll notice a few instances of fishing for that stupid dot which cost me a good bit of time.  Stage planning was overall pretty good though interesting to see how I gave up ~5 seconds on stage 2 by choosing a super conservative strategy.

I'm back on the Stock 2 to rock out Production division.  Time to keep on dry firing, focusing on fundamentals about 1/3 of my practice time and finish the sessions with match mode.

#35 GuanoLoco

GuanoLoco

Minister of Culture

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,234 posts
  • LocationMy Safe Space

Posted 16 January 2017 - 12:22 PM

Production - the division least polluted by gamer-ism.  Maybe.

Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

You'll never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

In Doodie, Veritas.

"You might be a little thin-skinned for this forum". -Scott.

#36 CheesyD

CheesyD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 03:43 PM

Who needs skillz when you got da game, eh Guano?

#37 eahill85

eahill85

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 286 posts
  • LocationOn the toilet, hiding from my children

Posted 16 January 2017 - 06:34 PM

Up at 5am to spend 30 minutes running dry fire drills o' the day. Once done around 5:45 take care of my son's morning requirements while Mom gets up & ready for work then we start off the day.

Nice on getting up early to dry fire. Shows real dedication. I plan on giving it a try also, as realistically it might be the only time I get with the wife and kids in the house.
Taking a doodie while on doodie💩

#38 beerbaron

beerbaron

Shagga

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 857 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 11:40 PM

Transitions. Do some of the transition drills in bens book or even the enos transition drill.

I'm a lazy fuck who goes through bursts of training and bursts of nothing. But one thing I learned is spend time on the important shit.

Sub 1 sec draws and reloads are awesome and will assist with grandbaging classifiers but the reality is as a b or c grade shooter sub 1.5 draws and 1.5 reloads arent what's hurting your results. More often than not on stage you drawn then move to the first target so even a 2 sec draw won't cost time. Reloads are important in production but still static reloads should be rare. All the others should be on the move (and hence not costing time).

One thing I found helped me early on when I was cranking the 18 splits with the 50 transitions like you are was to actually slow down the splits a little. Or really to stop focussing on the splits. Instantly went from 18 splits with 50 trans to 30 splits and 30-35 trans. Once you get it programmed that you can transition like that bring the split focus back in.

At 7 yards with focus I can split in the mid teens holding the a zone. But my best el prez runs come with splits around 20 and transitions around 20. It may sound slower than 15 splits and 30 trans but it's not and hit quality is better too by backing off my splits from my 100% pace to 90%.

Try and shoot one gun for a while. Grip and index are mega important in this game. They are easier to develop on the same gun.

#39 CheesyD

CheesyD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 08:21 AM

Fuck you classifiers. I am going to hate fuck dry fire targets and rape your dog the next chance I get. Baseball Standards fucked me with a sandpaper dildo whilst using muriatic acid for lube.

Okay that's out of my system. Shot a 4 stage classifier on Sunday, did okay, I guess. Not happy in the least but finally after 9 months I'll get a classification.

06-03 - Can You Count - 57.32% - Missed the mag release between T1 & T2, cost me .8-1s. Pulled a Charlie & Delta on T3 but hit the reload solid. Railing on close targets is not my strong suit.

03-09 - On the move - 58.09% - Felt pretty good on this one, just too slow. Draw to first shot was was to slow for these close targets.

09-14 - Eye of the Tiger - 67.56% - Really felt solid on this one, good turn & draw, called my shots, good focus change between partials & head box.

03-14 - Baseball Standards - 35.83% - Fuck you. Fuck you. Fuck you. I will kick the shit out of this one when I see it again.

Based on the online calculators, I should be a cunt hair from B or just eek in. We shall see tomorrow.

Edit to add - Gator Classic at 61.2% will count as well. 

#40 GuanoLoco

GuanoLoco

Minister of Culture

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,234 posts
  • LocationMy Safe Space

Posted 30 January 2017 - 02:16 PM

Post the % of HHF's that you shot with each stage, more helpful that HF's.

Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

You'll never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

In Doodie, Veritas.

"You might be a little thin-skinned for this forum". -Scott.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users