Photo

CheesyD's School for Kids Who Can't Shoot Good....

• Please log in to reply
127 replies to this topic

#41 CheesyD

CheesyD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 31 January 2017 - 07:43 AM

Updated the post with %'s

Dry fired for another hour yesterday. Starting to get 30-40 minutes sessions in before work and later evening.  

Feeling really good about moving into/out of position, transitions on targets at the same distance, making the par times in Stoeger's book on 2-2-2 drills.  I'm having a helluva time with Bill drills (1.8) and 6 reload 6 reload 6 drill (6.0).  It is either my draw or split times, reloads feel good and clean.  I need to isolate those two items, also want to test in live fire for baselines @ different distances.

• Nicoll likes this

#42 GuanoLoco

GuanoLoco

Minister of Culture

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,245 posts
  • LocationMy Safe Space

Posted 31 January 2017 - 05:40 PM

I can't get my finger moving unless I relax my strong hand grip and trust my weak hand grip.
Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

You'll never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

In Doodie, Veritas.

"You might be a little thin-skinned for this forum". -Scott.

#43 CheesyD

CheesyD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 01 February 2017 - 08:07 AM

Classifier system updated over night and I'm now officially a B class production shooter. Doesn't mean that much, just means I'm finally classified.

#44 GuanoLoco

GuanoLoco

Minister of Culture

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,245 posts
  • LocationMy Safe Space

Posted 01 February 2017 - 05:51 PM

Ya!  Now drive like hell for A class before you are stuck in B forever.

Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

You'll never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

In Doodie, Veritas.

"You might be a little thin-skinned for this forum". -Scott.

#45 CheesyD

CheesyD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 06 February 2017 - 08:06 AM

Dry fire, dry fire, dry fire!  I slacked a little last week between the wifes birthday and her coming down with bronchitis, I didn't make the time to dryfire Thursday or Friday. Still got 3+ hours in though, very happy about that.  Did manage to clean the garage which now allows full movement for drills! Just a little more finagling to build a target storage rack, acquire a few more/sizes of dryfire targets & I'll have a regular shooting gallery to setup.

I've been working through Stoeger's book and will stay with his information for a while longer. BS's routines feel better, challenge me a bit, more and generally push the areas where I need pushing.  I've come to realize that my style is slow but accurate. There is a tendency for my to over-aim, transition slowly, etc.  With this program there seems to be more pushing me to pull the trigger fast and transition quickly as well.

Interestingly enough, I am hitting the pars for many of the drills.  I'm hitting the par for 25 yard draws, 25 yard partials, easy exit & entry, quick step, etc. Really happy about that! I can't wait to test these in live fire.

Pushed down another 30 minutes of solid work this morning.  I had issues staying mentally in the training, missing reloads or sloppy draws, just going through the motions.  I will stay mentally alert, concentrate on what I am there for and the goal.  Wherever I am, I'll be all there.

Oh yeah, I'll be training with the Boss in Austin this month. Looking forward to that.

Guano - B class aint the goal. In the long run it is Grand Master, though I've got intermediate goals to get there.

• TCB likes this

#46 CheesyD

CheesyD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 10:00 AM

Finally got a back-up gun locked down, got some go fast parts installed already. Basically stole it from the dude but he was pissed at it!  Will put it to good use at Stoeger's Austin class in two weeks.

This morning I had some issues with my draw but attribute that to pushing speed with poor technique. When I mental rehearsed the drill, thinking through every step from draw to last shot, the issue went away.

Key note for the day, visualize everything, every time.

#47 CheesyD

CheesyD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 11:29 AM

Still working diligently on dryfire but not meeting my goals for weekly reps.  Need to make the time!

Had an "ah hah" moment the other day while reviewing my times versus the goal times. Two particular items became obvious:

1) Meeting or exceeding goal times for movement and transition drills without reloads is solid.

2) Hoser and quick drills w/ reloads are lagging behind.

Along with those two items was the realization I am seeing faster.  Pushing at first to meet the goal times with questionable sight pictures has yielded to still pushing for goal times but seeing acceptable sight pictures.

Training plan will including going back to the basics, learning drills from Stoeger's book for a bit.  I will work 2 sessions per week (of 8) on the basics; reloads with micro drills and trigger control at speed with micro drills.

Livefire practice will take place as practicable, but will be tough to get to my private range soon.  Next big match is the Space City in March; currently 32 Production shooters registered. My goal is to shoot clean, program solid stage plans, and shoot at my current level of skill.

Gear Queer announcement!  My new-to-me Stock 2 (S2.2) came in yesterday. It has a "trigger job" already with some aftermarket parts installed but the pulls weights are about equal to my original Stock 2 (S2.1). However, S2.2 has a much, much smoother trigger pull. So much so, I've broken down and will polish up S2.1 to try for equal action smoothness.  Polishing of S2.1 will be finished tonight or tomorrow morning, hopefully it will be close to S2.2. I really want to have a back-up nearly identical to the match gun.

#48 CheesyD

CheesyD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 07:44 AM

Worked on a few more drills this morning.  I'm going back to work on the basics.  Did approximately 5 minutes of each drill, focusing on particular index points or specific technique cues.

Trigger Control at Speed - 1.2s

Support hand to belt, near holster every time.

Finger on trigger as sights come into view

Do not over-extend hands/arms

Grip the piss outta the gun with my hands alone

Shoulders, biceps, chest, etc. stay relaxed

Reloads - 1.1s

Rotate gun - mash mag button - rotate gun back to normal | all before new mag comes up

Watch old mag fall out

Keep eyes fixed on index point of magwell

See bullet & brass on top of new mag disappear into magwell, immediately shift eyes down range to next target

Begin rolling hand up to new grip/snap mag home with palm of hand

Re-build grip & acquire sight / sight picture

Reloads Micro - Burkett - .6s

Rotate gun - mash mag button - rotate gun back to normal | all before new mag comes up

Watch old mag fall out

Keep eyes fixed on index point of magwell

See bullet & brass on top of new mag disappear into magwell,

Reloads Micro - Finish It - .6s

See bullet & brass on top of new mag disappear into magwell, immediately shift eyes down range to next target

Begin rolling hand up to new grip/snap mag home with palm of hand

Re-build grip & acquire sight / sight picture

Target Transitions - 1.8s

Support hand to belt, near holster every time.

Finger on trigger as sights come into view

Do not over-extend hands/arms

Grip the piss outta the gun with my hands alone

Shoulders, biceps, chest, etc. stay relaxed

Snap eyes to next target, see appropriate sight picture & fire. - repeat

Target Transitions - Micro - Low Ready to Site Picture - .5s

#49 CheesyD

CheesyD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 09:11 AM

Holy hell, I'm  whipped.  Class this weekend was pretty damn good, made some big strides in my game and have confidence to do some things that I previously did not.  We shot a little over 1,200 rounds, new Stock 2 did just fine with only 3 light strikes on S&B primers.

Couple of big ticket items to work on; trigger control - mine sucks and transitions - don't ride the damn sights or over swing.  I've got a big log written up, but that'll stay with me.

Going into the Space City March 11/12 with a lot more confidence. I know what to work on in dry fire and it's gonna be a damn fine match.

#50 CheesyD

CheesyD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 10:51 AM

Ding ding ding! CheesyD had a break through this morning!  Working on trigger control, I could not figure out why shots pushed left nearly every time.  I honestly had not realized my trigger control was such shit before the class, just figured I sucked ass on stages.  It was glaringly obvious at the 15 yard line when 80% of the shots landed left a/c line, bunched into ~3" grouping.  Other eye opening issue was weak hand shooting fucking spot on, both d/a and s/a.  Ben eloquently pointed out I had trained my right hand improperly but my left hand was too stupid to know anything different but pull straight back.

So this morning I spent time watching how my weak hand finger worked the trigger straight back into the frame... Yeah, it was that damn obvious. Seriously.  I had been basically pushing the trigger to the rear & left using my strong hand trigger finger. Spent some time doing white wall and control at speed with focus on pulling straight back into the frame.  It's a love/hate kind of situation where you fix a fundamental flaw, so basic that it should not be a problem.

#51 beerbaron

beerbaron

Shagga

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 857 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 08:54 PM

Weird. I would have thought pulling the trigger to the left would make shots go right. Pulling the trigger to the right generally moves muzzle left. But I certainly agree pulling it straight will help!

#52 CheesyD

CheesyD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 08:30 AM

Trucking along with dry fire, with this week strictly match pace. The sights are coming up more quickly on the draw, magically appearing on the next target when I snap my eyes in transition, and the sight wiggle is greatly reduced with the proper trigger pull.

Tried something new this morning though, at a simulated 20 yards keeping both eyes open using a view-through of the sights on target finally felt comfortable. Prior to this, anything over ~15 yards I went Popeye and hard front sight focus. No way to quantify the times, using timer for start beep only, but it certainly felt faster with acceptable accuracy.

Weather looks shitty with rain here in Houston this weekend, although the temps will be nice. Going to the Space City Challenge to shoot at my current level of skill and call my shots. It is going to be a good weekend.

#53 CheesyD

CheesyD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 03:10 PM

WARNING - FULL RETARD BELOW - WARNING

Well, The Space City Challenge was a fun match, shot with some great folks, weather held off enough for us to complete the match in a timely manner.  Now on to the meat... Overall my stage times were really good, transitions and split times dramatically improved, and overall when I did what I knew was right, things went well.

Where did I go wrong? Easy, closed my eyes. A lot.  Yeah that is right, I closed my eyes, did not see the sights or target but proceeded to pull the trigger.  It is incredibly evident on the first day, shooting seven stages I would up with 57 Alpha, 4 Bravo, 26 Charlie, 10 Delta (Lucky Misses) and 11 Mikes.  Knowing WTF I had done the previous day, focus was on shooting at my speed, seeing the sight pictures I needed, closing out day two with 87 Alphas, 30 Charlies, 3 Delta (Lucky Misses) and 2 Mikes.

Overall I'm severely PO'd with the match performance, I put speed ahead of accuracy. Obviously! However, the good is an instilled confidence to move more aggressively, transition more quickly, shoot on easy entry and exit, as well as program stage plans much more quickly.  Now I really have to focus on movement between positions and keep my DAMN EYES OPEN. It's not a noise thing, it's a long ingrained issue. It has happened forever as I think about the past, football, baseball, shooting, golf, etc.  Always (nearly) made good contact but never recall seeing the hit/contact/shot at the moment of impact.  This is a live fire only training fix.

Finished 30th of 45 (62% of GM winner), 12th of 15 in B class.

#54 CheesyD

CheesyD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 07:24 AM

March 17, 2017 – Indoor Range Session – Full Armor Firearms Range

200 Rounds total

5 Yards

60 rounds - Shot controlled pairs, goal to keep eyes open & focus on specific target spot.  Kept most all as A or close C shots.  Grip pressure was key to keeping shots on target. Focus on keeping right hand loose(er) for fast/close shots. Still pushing the gun left a bit.

7 Yards

40 round - Shot controlled pairs at high speed. Kept hits much tighter on target, good grip pressure with left hand and not as much jerk on trigger w/ right hand. Very happy with results.

20 Rounds – Match Pairs - Shoot aimed first shot & break 2nd as soon as ASP on target. Tight grouping but everything was a bit left, anticipating the shot & pushing trigger.

@ #4 – Shot 10 rounds strong hand & 10 round weak hand.  Strong hand was very accurate & easy to go at a quick clip. Weak hand – grip STRONG. Did well will all shots, weak hand a tendency to push the trigger as well.

15 Yards

Worked on target focus – first 20 were shooting an aimed shot, watching sights lift, then return to target.  All but 1 were in the 6” circle.  Much easier to shoot targets at 15 yards with target focus then I originally anticipated, however, my eyes keep pulling back to the front sight on reacquisition of sight picture. 

Last 20 rounds were more “match” pace – Shoot aimed first shot & break 2nd as soon as ASP on target. Resulted in 17 alphas, 3 close Charlie at match pace while target focused. That’s a breakthrough for me.

Group Shooting – 10 rounds at 15 yards yielded a 1.6” overall but two distinct groups of 5/8” and ¾” with a small gap between then. The deviation was vertical, directly related to how firmly my support (left) hand was rolled forward (down) controlling the muzzle.

Back at 7 Yards

Finished up with Effectively Bill Drills. Two sets of 5 from the low ready. No timer, no score, just run the trigger fast & straight back while watching the sights in full swing.  Pretty ugly groups, however, the only goal for these was to watch the sights lift, track, & return.

#1 goal for this session was seeing the sights on every shot as it broke; keeping my eyes open the entire time.  Secondary goal was shot calling, which went very well.  Interesting note, shots that I called bad were still acceptable hits! I did indeed see where the shot was off but “assumed” it was another 5-6 inches from the actual impact.  Going to have to pay much more attention to this aspect.

Moving forward – keep working on calling shots, maintain very firm grip pressure with left hand and keep experimenting for right/strong, keep eyes open for all shots – see the gun first EVERY time.

#55 CheesyD

CheesyD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 12:05 PM

Still struggling with the hoser shit.  6 reload 6 reload 6 is still hovering at the six second mark, really having difficulty with trigger speed.

Good news is distance change up is 2.4 seconds and SHO/WHO Blake's are solid at 2.4 and 2.9.

Next major is the Double Tap, high in hoser content from what I understand. Going to finish the month with general skills then transition into high-speed focus leading up to June.

#56 CheesyD

CheesyD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 05:22 PM

Just laid down 4 aces at 2.2 and El Prez at 4.2 with regularity. I remember the days (December 2016) that a 5.5 second El Prez seemed my limit.

Putting in the work pays off!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • wurm likes this

#57 CheesyD

CheesyD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 03 April 2017 - 07:57 AM

Hands are sore, legs are sore, and I'm learning.

Put in a good session Saturday night going position entry & exit, both directions using 1/3 scale targets at a simulated 15 yards with shooting boxes 10' apart.  

• Averaged 4.5 seconds, interestingly enough same time in both directions.  Ran Entry for 7 minutes each direction, then Exit 7 minutes each directions and for good measure ran Entry again 3 minutes each direction but with a reload in between.  Highly surprising, performing a reload did not slow me down at all.

Last night did a bit of work on port entry / exit both directions, barricade entry/exit.  Approximately 3 minutes each direction.

• Port work leaning to the left (weak side) is much more difficult (no shit) than the right (strong side) Going left to right, I was matching barricade times but right to left was a bitch to hit proper stance & lean around the barricade.

This morning was simulated 20 yard partials, distance change-up,  and Hi-Lo transitions.  

• 20 yard partials feels good and looks good. My eyes keep jumping back to the front sight though, I want to keep a target focus with a blurry yet aligned sight picture.  This is something I need to work on in live fire to prove the concept.
  • Distance change up is getting quick & more consistent. using simulated 10 yard metric targets & a 2" plate @ simulated 10 yards. Again something I need to prove in live fire.
  • Hi-Lo transition was quick & consistent starting on the low middle target. Starting hi and moving low was more difficult with a tendency to over swing target; need visual patience to clear hands & gun enough off target center to find visual focal point. Continuing to emphasize snapping eyes to center of target area, caught myself riding the sights a few times.

Long term focus in training: Snapping eyes to center of best target area.  Grip pressure, as eloquently stated on the PPS, I'm striving for a cock strangle hold with my weak hand.  It's getting better every session.

Near term focus is practice in match mode - calling every shot. My speed is increasing greatly, I will translate that into seeing more quickly and calling every shot.

Next local match is this Saturday. I am going to this match to call every shot, move aggressively during non-shooting times, and shoot sooner.

#58 CheesyD

CheesyD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 07:25 AM

Setup a mini stage in the garage this morning to work on melding techniques I've been working in isolation into a full "stage".  Setup a mixed bag of 6 metrics, 4 plates and 2 poppers from simulated 9 yards to 15 yards with movement, barricades, ports, unloaded starts, and position entry/exits.

Once I stopped thinking & training took over things were scary.  What seemed slower - calling every shot, seeing everything happen - was actually faster.  Ran each scenario/direction for 5 minutes & switched it up, but with every drill I managed to drop 1 second or more as active thought ceased. 

#59 CheesyD

CheesyD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 08:00 AM

So my camera took and shit and it looks like I've got essentially not match video. But a few lessons learned:

- Calling every shot felt stupid slow but stage times were pretty fast when comparing to another very consistent B class guy.  

- Calling my shots resulted in 76% Alphas versus a 2016 average of 65%

- Texas stars are still a struggle, moving steel at ~10 yards ate my ass. Stage time of 36 seconds and my man crush at 21.09

- Moving aggressively position to position was much, much better.

- Shooting on the move is a weakness and I have to be aware of when it is truly beneficial to shoot & move. Gave up at least 10 points a a 8+ HF stage for not gaining much of any time.

- Still have to keep my eyes open, see & call every shot.  Blew one stage hard and another left blue balled due to not seeing the shots.

- Burn in stage plans over, and over, and over, and over, do not get complacent.

- KNOW HOW MANY STAGES ARE IN THE MATCH! Sounds simple enough, however, we always shoot 6 at this club but they put up 7 this weekend. After 6 I was feeling good, damn good about my shooting & was unloading to head home. Someone asked me why and then promptly informed this idiot, there is 1 more stage to go.  Mind wasn't right, shot 20 A & 11 Charlie when I'd been shooting  a 10 A - 1 Charlie ratio for the rest of the match.

Morale of the story. Keep working hard, Live Fire on an outdoor range is going to set me free.

#60 CheesyD

CheesyD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 11 April 2017 - 11:08 AM

Reviewing the video I do have and watching some GM level production guys, a trend is begging to appear.  My transitions are still too damn slow, as is position entry to first shot.

For instance:

Stage 5 - 17 A, 1 C, 1 D shot in 20.87 seconds vs. stable dude 14 A, 4, C 1 D in 18.24 seconds.  Delta 2.63 seconds

Stage 6 - 18 A, 3 C shot in 26.2 seconds (4 make-up shots on a hard lean plate rack) vs. stable dude 19 A, 2 C in 21.19. Delta 5.01 seconds

Stage 7 - 18 A, 3 C, 3 D shot in 21.75 seconds vs. stable dude 19 A 5 C in 19.02 seconds. Delta 1.73 seconds

Position to position I'm hanging with the M class guy but getting smoked in transitions. Good to know.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users