Photo

CheesyD's School for Kids Who Can't Shoot Good....

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#61 CheesyD

CheesyD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 07:36 AM

Dryfired last night which performance wise was shit but had an "ah ha" moment.  When I prepared mentally before a repetition in the drill, it went pretty well - just mash the timer button & not be mentally ready ended pretty shitty.

4 Aces - Making 2.2 times but missed the reload a lot. Mainly due to tension pulling the gun closer to my body & not watching the magwell. Was trying to push down 2 second runs, of which a few were close.

Distance Change-up - 1.7 going paper to steel. 1.8+ going steel to paper.  Had some difficulty with my focus switching dependent upon target.  Going paper-plate-paper my vision would go target focus - front sight focus - front sight focus.  It was very difficult to go target - sight - target.  Really had to make a conscious effort to do so, but making sure my eyes snapped to the next paper really helped break the focus.

Bill's - 1.8. Need to remain relaxed overall, relaxed right/weak hand, and hard grip with the left/support. 

This morning:

El Prez - Pretty solid runs a 4.2, dipped a handful into the 4.0 range.  Plan to take some video next time to see where that other .5 seconds can come off.

Distance Draws ~20 yards - Hitting a 1.1 second time. Working on easing the gun up the last ~1" onto target which settles the sights sooner.

1 Handed Draws - 1.1 Strong and 1.7 weak. Consistency in gripping hard is a continuing trend. Transition from draw to weak hand is super good when it's close into my chest, must focus on consistency in presentation for transfer.

#62 CheesyD

CheesyD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 07:03 AM

Spent time this morning with a focus on transitions. I've lost 2-3 seconds on field courses due to wide transitions alone lately.

Super Wide Blake Drill - Standard Practice Setup - Simulated 10 yards - Simulated 3 Yards between targets - 2.1 Seconds

Focused on snapping eyes to next target, good trigger pulls as soon as sights on target.  Small but still important working on grip at the draw & gun up.

Super Wide Blake Drill w/ Reload (2-2-2-R-2-2-2) - Standard Practice Setup - Simulated 10 yards - Simulated 3 Yards between targets - 4.7

Did much better here than I expected, my reload is ~1.2 so I was more aggressive in transitions to soak up that time. Have to figure out why stacking stills together netted a faster time; maybe I was warming up?

El Prez - Standard Practice Setup - Simulated 10 yards - Simulated 3 Yards between targets - 4.4

Pushed speed on this one, had 80% very solid reps and a few that fucked off with terrible misses.  I am recognizing the misses & c/d hits which makes me happy.  Most interesting fact is this time is not much slower than my best El Prez to date.

Standard Reloads Practice - 1.2

Sucked donkey balls. Practicing reloads in isolation is such a bitch for me.  Toss it into another drill and we're good, all alone is a suckfest.  Only culprit I can figure is overthinking.  I don't want to spend a shitton of time chasing a .8 reload at 10 yards but would like to be a solid 1.0.

#63 CheesyD

CheesyD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 02:28 PM

Was actually able to salvage some match video from a few weeks ago... Enjoy

#64 CheesyD

CheesyD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 11:38 AM

Put in about an hour last night, felt good, surprisingly so after cardio at the gym.

Standard practice setup. 1/2 size targets at 15 feet mimicking 10 yards.

Easy Movement drills - left, right, forward, back and diagonal. Did about 15 minutes total varying directions.  Really need to work on this in live fire, don't really know what sight picture is required. Regardless, worked hard on driving sites to center of the A zone and snapping eyes to the next target.

Hard movement drills - left, right, forward and back.  Did about 15 minutes varying directions.  Focused on hitting the head box until I was comfortable with the drill then began to work on driving to the A zone. Really have to get low and slow for this drill. Moving 10 feet in 3.5sec was a challenge but once warmed up it was much easier.

Quick step - left and right. 5 minutes as in the book and 5 minutes with a reload between positions. Key is getting/keeping gun up ready to fire, firm support hand grip, and snap eyes to next target.  Still made the same time with and without reload. I'm betting movement w/ out reloads can be more aggressive.

Easy Entrance - left and right. Did about 10 minutes.  10 feet between boxes.  Reduced time to 4.2 seconds solid, was about to hit 4.0 seconds when leaning out of the first position.  When leaning, first shot on target was a good bit slower, but made up that time in movement. I want to focus on keeping a leaning time with controlled pair time equal to a static draw.

Easy Entrance - left and right with reload.  Did about 5 minutes - Similar times to above but the disaster factor increased. Had about 1/4 of the reloads flubbed going into the 2nd position.  When I focused on the magwell during a reload, everything went smoothly.

#65 CheesyD

CheesyD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 08:10 AM

Last Night - ~30 minutes

Target Transitions - I've got a lot of work to do! Snapping eyes to a specific point on full open target is okay, 1.4 seconds on 3 open targets at simulated 7 yards.  

Running the drill with 3 open targets, 2 full size poppers and 1 mini popper at a simulated 7 yards was tough.  Biggest issue I had was staying sight focused transitioning off the mini popper to a full size target; snapped my eyes to open target but pulled back to sights when they arrived.

4 Aces - 2.2 was standard, got down to 2.1 without consistency.  Draw was good, first two shots were good, reloads got spotty.  I'm rushing on the reloads, not looking at the magwell properly.  Did manage to smash a few at an estimated 2.0, too bad it wasn't on tape for instagram! 

This morning  - ~20 minutes

Triple Reloads - 6 seconds par was standard.  Still having difficulty ripping 6 shots, strong hand is too tight - trigger finger slow!

7 Yard Bills - 2.0 was doable, hit 1.8 a few times. Grip out the holster was shit but I have an excuse! bottom screw on the boss hanger was loose, rotating the gun further forward as the drills progressed. Move it back to mostly straight up and had to re-learn the draw. Note to self, tighten the piss out of it every week or just lock-tite that bitch down.

Studying note - I've been watching "normal" M and GM production shooters video in an effort to quantify the speed of transitions and position entry/exit strategies. Why do I say normal? Why the top 10 guys are on a different level, I want to emulate them but want to see how I stack up to guys I will beat soon enough.  It is a good feeling to realize my weaknesses right now are not physical, I've always seen myself as slow and lumbering but in reality I move pretty well - damn well enough to be a GM.

Key issues for speed - Shoot sooner into position and transition more quickly.

Key issues for marksmanship - Figure out what sight picture is acceptable and work on tracking moving targets (swingers and Texas stars)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users