Photo

CheesyD's School for Kids Who Can't Shoot Good....

• Please log in to reply
97 replies to this topic

#81 TennJeep1618

TennJeep1618

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 12:54 PM

You need friends and a haircut.

I paste faster than I shoot.

#82 CheesyD

CheesyD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 03:16 PM

So I shot the Double Tap match and wanted to climb the tallest power transmission tower and jump off the fucker.

Wound up 29th of 50 and 5th of 6 B class in production. Fucking awful. Didn't have my mind on the match, let outside distractions kill me. 4 bad stages of 11 blows it all to shit, 5 mikes, 1 no shoot and dropped a shit load of points.  82% of points and 70% Alphas. Not nearly good enough.

Upside is I got to shoot with Tim Meyers, Matt Hopkins, and Casey Reed. Damn cool to watch those guys work.

I was embarrassed, damn embarrassed to get beat by an average of 6 seconds per stage against those guys. Yeah, I know judging myself as a low B shooter against highly competitive GM's is going to do that.  However, I'm really motivated now. Learned some things from them that I'm going to work into my practice sessions.  Also got a text from the new range owner that I'm good to join up, just have to meet her sign some papers & pay my money.

Now to really get to work, next major is Area 4 in September. Too many things to list, going to break it down to two major categories - shooting points & doing everything sooner.

#83 CheesyD

CheesyD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 07:06 AM

Spent a few hours on the range Friday afternoon.

Dots - Motherfuckers. On one sheet- Shot 1 clean, 2 close to clean and the rest were pretty damn bad. I forgot how much these identified the flaws in your game.  The basics: trigger control, grip, and sight alignment are very easy to isolate in this drill.

Bill drills -

1. 2.15 w/ 1 charlie

2. 2.46 w/ 2 charlie (bad grip)

3. 2.17 alphas

4. 2.12 w/ 2 charlies

5. 2.69 w/ 1 charlie (bad grip)

Blake drills - worked on speed with an understanding the hits might suck.

1. 2.13 - 1.10 draw, avg .186 split, avg .235 transition

2. 2.17 - 1.09 draw, avg .183 split, avg .265 transition

3. 2.19 - 1.10 draw, avg .175 split, avg .275 transition

Bit of an ego boost. First time I've shot these in 6 months and the first time around was abysmal! So yeah, I feel good about that.

Shot a few other drills - shooting while moving and easy entry/exit.  Found out I go to a a sight focus on everything, including 5-7 yard open hoser targets. Something I want to improve is utilizing target focus more. I've got a really strong index and feel comfortable put two alphas 15 yard open targets with target focus at speed.

Going back this week to start working on a bit more basic techniques; distance change-up, accelerator, and position entry.  I feel those are three major places which I can pick up a tremendous quantity of points along with time. 

#84 CheesyD

CheesyD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 22 June 2017 - 07:07 AM

30 minutes of dryfire broke the new hotness in Tanfo grips from Patriot Defense.  Fucking 3d printed pieces of shit.

Going back to factory wood and plastic.

#85 CheesyD

CheesyD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 01:45 PM

Been live firing once a week with a training partner.

Which was not going so great, he wants to get better but was haphazardly putting drills together and I was being too nice to say something. Well, I started showing up 2 hours later so I could practice properly and last Friday he didn't show up so win-win, and I broke out Skills and Drills.

Doubles - got to a consistent sub-second draw (.96avg) and .18 split. Fastest I've ever gone, especially with consistent Alphas at 7 yards.

Easy entry, hard exit, and hard entry all went well. Did have some challenges to reduce the movement time but did get my transitions tight. 7 yard zebra to a 7" steel at 12yd was at .6 seconds.

Last week shot Front Sight with hit factors averaging 8.8 with my best at 12.4.

I plan to work on this for the rest of the summer with plans to be (1) 2 seconds on each string, (2) clean at 2.5 seconds per string and hit a 13hf.

The draw and transitions have been my week spots historically.

Looking at results from the last match, I'm behind by approximately 10% in time of the local GM and 5% of the M (limited GM).

Points still need to get better, shot 87% at the last match, but it was clean. 

#86 CheesyD

CheesyD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 08:18 AM

Back to dry during on the regular again. .6 Burkett both phases 2.2 4-aces Dry fire - Focusing on draw, transitions, and fast reloads. Live fire - Focus on transitions and shooting sooner. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#87 CheesyD

CheesyD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 06:57 AM

Started back on the dry fire, well this morning. I’m getting up at 5am but being slothful.  A-holes on Instagram are shaming me into practice, negative motivation can also be a good thing.

Draws to site pictures – Simulated 7 yards - .7 seconds. Beat the buzzer more often than not, probably could get down to .6. 

Focus: Support hand moving to holster on beep and acquiring grip early in draw stroke.

Reloads – 1.0 seconds – First time really working the reloads with a 1911, magwell, and teeny mags.  But it was a little easier than reloading the Tanfo, go figure.  Made the time limit more times than not, need to ingrain new habit for gun/magwell position for loading.

Focus: Gun/magwell position for loading. Acquire proper grip on magazine. Upon magazine seating, regrip gun & drive gun flat to target – don’t fish.

Front Sight

Simulated 7 yards & 7.5’ between targets

1st String – Turn, Draw, 2 shots each of 3 Targets

1.8 par time. Hit this with consistency. First few reps, points would have been crap with several mikes.  Kept the par time the same and began to focus on proper sight picture and trigger control.

Focus: Snap eyes/head to first target at turn. Snap eyes to exact 1” circle on next target.

2nd String – Face downrange, Draw, 2 shots each of 3 Targets

1.6 par time. Hit the par 90% of the time. When I missed the par, I also missed the draw/grip.

Focus: Snap eyes/head to first target at turn. Snap eyes to exact 1” circle on next target. On draw, don’t push out too hard/throw gun at target. Speed it out there but decelerate near end of push-out.

#88 CheesyD

CheesyD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 09:53 AM

1. Target Transitions – 7/8 Yards – (left to right) 8yd open, plate rack, 12yd open, 8yd open – 5.0

a. Snap eyes to each target, specific spot!

b. Determine sight picture required for each target type and distance. This will be done via live fire. It is possible to target focus more often that sight focus.

2. 4 Aces – 1.8 Goal – 2.0 Par

a. Reload is the low hanging fruit.

b. Focus on snapping left hand to magazine – correct grip on magazine – snap back to magwell

c. Ensure grip is rebuilt properly after inserting magazine.

d. Par time is important – Make 2.0 solid then work to increase speed.

3. El Prez – 4.0 Goal – 3.8 Par

a. Speed is there. Focus on doing everything correctly.

b. Breakdown process

i. Turn & snap eyes to target

ii. Begin draw during turn, build grip as I finish the turn & come up to first target.

iii. Relax shoulders – grip with hands

iv. After called 6th shot, snap hand to new magazine & depress mag release

v. Rebuilding grip after reload is very important

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#89 CheesyD

CheesyD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 05:21 AM

Triple 6 - 6.0 par time. Focused on rebuilding grip after reloads, firmed that up well. El Prez - 3.8 par time. Focused on consistent reloads and grip after load. I need to work on consistency of gun position for reload, it is varying by about 1-1.5" in space. That variance is causing issues hitting the magwell. slide lock reloads - 1.2 par time. Not something I've worked on much. Focus on the same reload process until rebuildIn grip, then hit slide lock lever with support thumb. Touched 1.0 a few times but not consistently. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#90 CheesyD

CheesyD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 09:23 AM

Dry fire has been lacking a little bit lately, however, I’ve been making it to live fire quite a bit more. Live fire is giving me some serious increase in actual shooting skill as well as confidence. I’ve never shot “a lot” before in my life but in the month of July shot 800+ in training and a little under 200 in a match. To date for 2017 I’ve shot just under 5,000 rounds, by far the most ever.

I feel more confident in gun handling, movements into / out of position, and breaking down a stage.

Practice sessions in the month of July were setup with a focus on transitions and shooting sooner.

Blake Drills

Run at 7 yards

Average total time – 2.07

Average transitions - .27

I’ve been working more on speed so my scores kind of sucked, average 2 alpha and 4 charlie. Later in the month, as the speed became “normal” I shot an average of 4 alpha and 2 charlie.

Heads

Ran at 10 yards

Average total time – 4.38

Average transitions - .71

This is hard! I missed about 20% of the time pushing speed and only had about 30% alphas at this distance. It sure gave me some confidence to know I can quickly hit the heads, especially to know the correct point of aim for the head A zone.

Front Sight

Setup the classifier per the book, turned the outside targets into the shooter.

Average total time for string 1 – 2.4

Average total time for string 2 – 2.15

Average target transitions - .31

Average hit factor for string 1 – 10.08

Average hit factor for string 2 – 11.9

Total average hit factor – 11.1 which equates to 83% for Single Stack. Would be an 87% in Production…

I still have not hit my goal of high hit factor, running the strings in 2 seconds or under, or running clean strings. However, the improvement throughout the month went from an average HF of 9.1 to 11.1, roughly 20% improvement.

Overall my improvement is substantial. I’m happy with the progress but will not quit pushing. I will start dry firing on the regular again to drive life fire improvement.

#91 CheesyD

CheesyD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 05 August 2017 - 10:09 PM

Good day today. Shot pretty well, moved, reloaded, and executed. A few things to work on, reloads and long targets. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#92 CheesyD

CheesyD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 09:04 AM

Dry fire - 8/8/17 Distance change up - 10 yard open, 15 yard plate. 2.0 par. Snap eyes hard and pay attention to trigger pull straight to rear. Work on grip at draw consistency. Shooting while moving - 10 yard open - left and right - get low and move aggressively. Have to confirm in live fire sight picture versus hits. Reloads - .9 par. Make sure to get proper grip on magazine. Hold magazine in hand until started to magwell, do not tea-cup into gun. When I missed, it was a- bad grip b- tea cup into magwell/gun. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#93 CheesyD

CheesyD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 02:31 PM

So, I haven’t been posting any of my practice schedule lately but that doesn’t mean I haven’t been hard at work.

Over the past several weeks my dry fire increased to approximately 5 days per week, 30 minutes per day with live fire twice a week.

I’m getting par times down to or very near Stoeger’s book times but my technique is crap. The goal now that I have the basis of speed is refining everything. Let’s use 4 aces as an example. 2.0 in dryfire is consistently achievable and 2.5 in live fire w/ mostly A’s at 7 yards is as well. Problem, I’m not getting much of a sight picture, gripping the gun properly 100% of the time, and trigger control sucks.

I’m working all of the static drills at the same goal par with an emphasis on doing everything perfectly correct.

There has been a huge jump in my classifier skill level since starting a regimented live fire routine in June. I’m routinely shooting master class scores at “match” pace, about half of my speed focused runs are Hundo’s or B class; but I’m okay with some bad shots pushing speed.

Live fire practice is normally setup with 1 or 2 static drills and then 1 or 2 movement/mini stage drills. Working in partials, 25 yard shots, and a 12-15 yard 7” steel plate is really helping focus on calling shots and pulling the trigger straight back.

Looks like I won’t shoot another classifier until 2018, so I’ll be going into the Gator Classic as a Production B. Here’s to life as that sandbagging asshole everyone loves to hate!

#94 CheesyD

CheesyD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 03:29 PM

Some video of practice last night. Some things to work on are glaringly obvious.

#95 Stranger Danger

Stranger Danger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 05:55 PM

I wish I had the gumption to train like that!! But loading and other parts of living gets in the way

#96 CheesyD

CheesyD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 11:32 AM

Something clicked for me at live fire practice Monday in regards to speed.

I was running a movement/flowing through position drill with 3 targets @ 5 yards (obscured by barrels) and a movement to a final target 10' away. I wanted to work on speed, mad-man cockles out speed. My mindset going into those drills was just keep going, do every non-shooting aspect fast (foot movement, eye transitions, and movement to final target) while making sure I see everything. Seeing the gun fire had been a problem of mine so that was a big focal point.

By running the drill at hair-on-fire speed with a focus on driving down the par time, everything seemed to become clear. Watching the gun lift, pressing the trigger straight back as soon as I thought the gun/sights were in the A zone and moving laterally faster than felt reasonable was uncomfortable as hell. After 2 runs, it felt a bit more normal, after 5 I was pushing harder.

At the end my drill time dropped by about 20% at max speed (4a, 4c average) and 13% in "match mode" (7a, 1c average). Pushing till the wheels blew off really opened a new door for me. I'm not sure how others push speed at practice but this sure helped me..

I started the drill at 5 seconds, pushed down to 4 seconds with a speed focus then back to 4.3 in "match" mode.

Another non-speed related ah-ha moment was understanding how quickly I could shoot A's when transitioning at that distance.

• ralloway likes this

#97 CheesyD

CheesyD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 06 October 2017 - 11:34 AM

Keeping good notes is become highly valuable to my training. Not all scenarios can be compared however the individual skills can be monitored and evaluated. Another key is keeping notes on when a drill when wrong; what happened and how do I fix it.

Don't forget in some scenarios that Hit Factor can be more indicative of the required approach than raw points.

#98 CheesyD

CheesyD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted Today, 11:59 AM

Less than two weeks out from Gator. Took the timer away from practice. Focal points - grip hard, pull trigger straight back into frame, snap eyes to specific spot on target, and leave only acceptable hits.

No speed to be gained before the match. Refine everything and smooth the edges.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users