Photo

CheesyD's School for Kids Who Can't Shoot Good....

• Please log in to reply
127 replies to this topic

#101 CheesyD

CheesyD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 31 October 2017 - 12:56 PM

So my last big match of the year is completed. 15th overall in production and 5th B.  It was a fun match, mostly open and fast stages. 12 pieces of steel, 2 swingers, and maybe 7 partials. There were some tricky positioning requirements though, which added an inkling of complexity.

I left a tremendous amount of points on the table and my competition took advantage.  Shot 64% Alphas and 82% of points. Total crap. Total. Crap.

Now on to the good. Overall times were in line with the Masters (average time was 207, I was 208.55). My stage plans were good, missed execution on 1 which was a disaster. Felt confident, shot on the move, shot entering & exiting, and had some really good squad mates to discuss strategy.

Initially I was really bummed, closed to depressed about how I finished. But in reality, I’m up 21 spots from last year’s finish, executed well, called a large majority of my shots, and generally shot consistent.

Here is the match video. I might do a stage breakdown later.  Comments and questions welcomed. 

#102 CheesyD

CheesyD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 09:01 AM

Damn it, my hands hurt this morning. Means I'm gripping the gun properly again. Probably the #2 reason I shot such a pathetic amount of Alphas at the Gator. #1 was purely behavioral, not seeing what I need to see.

#103 CheesyD

CheesyD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 10 November 2017 - 10:50 PM

Back to basics. Grip, trigger pull, and more grip.

Posted Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#104 CheesyD

CheesyD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 16 November 2017 - 09:57 AM

So, I horse traded a few things for a new toy. Not sure that I’ll ever make the jump but hey, it’s ready when I am.

Posted Image

#105 CheesyD

CheesyD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 20 November 2017 - 10:44 AM

The season is pretty much, kind of, somewhat over. I’m still going to shoot the December local match and have a Stoeger class in December but the serious practice is off for about the next 3 weeks. Finished up with the Area 59 Championship, Level 2 match. I had no preconceived notions going to the match, I just wanted to have fun and trust myself. Which, in the end, turned out pretty danged well. Finished 9th overall in Production, 3rd B class. Kick in the dick was fucking the last stage hard, which cost me 1 spot overall, and 2 others with shit points cost me another 2 spots overall. Bright side is knowing I have the ability to crush nuts, just have to be consistent. Really weird part, I still would have been 3rd A or 3rd Master… B class is such an oddity, some really good shooters seem “stuck” in B. Anyway. Below is the only video from the match, Stage 2. I wound up with a stage win on this one and was 18th in the overall match. https://youtu.be/3WoWFNvSw0A Now to the offseason, I’ve got about 10,000 rounds to load, guns to clean, along with a few weeks of no dry-fire and generally taking some mental time off. After the Stoeger class, December 11th and 12th, I’ll get back to dryfire and some live fire. 2018 is going to be a great season and I want to get a head start. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#106 CheesyD

CheesyD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 01:52 PM

Looking forward to Ben’s class, I’ve been doing some dryfire so I don’t look like a total tard.

Don’t worry, I’ll still have a dunce cap in the truck.

• Ben likes this

#107 CheesyD

CheesyD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 05:33 AM

Finally back to dry firing, took last week off to recover. Spent some time working fundamental deficiencies in isolation.

A few big take aways from the class:

• my grip is fucked. Way too much strong hand grip pushing a shitload of shots left. And some recoil anticipated issues.

• gotta get in/out of positions sooner

• I’m way too slow between positions. Haul ass between positions.

• do the shooting part of the stage at a comfortable pace and everything else in a big hurry.

• I haven’t practiced mag changes at a full sprint

Oh and speeding up after a mistake is a great plan. Stoeger told me so!

#108 MemphisMechanic

MemphisMechanic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 859 posts
  • LocationMemphis, TN

Posted 23 December 2017 - 09:51 AM

You stole those bullet points from my experiences with him last year. But you left out the one about standing up tall in each position then dropping to run.
I won an IDPA match once. It was neat.

#109 Matt1

Matt1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
  • LocationDown Under

Posted 24 December 2017 - 12:37 AM

I have a funny feeling I’m going to get similar feedback in a couple of weeks time 🤔

#110 CheesyD

CheesyD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 24 December 2017 - 04:16 PM

I guess we are all the same kinda retarded. And, this is a secret to gain that quick 10% in the match results.

#111 CheesyD

CheesyD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 02 January 2018 - 03:24 PM

So I’ve had a few questions on what I’m doing to fix my grip, so here is a run down.

Look up PPS #165 about 10 minutes in. It’s basically a doubles drill but the draw time and time between sets of doubles does not matter.

This drill focuses on 2 things grip/trigger control and acceptable sight pictures.

Start at about 7 yards, shoot a pair, repeat 5 pairs per mag for 5 mags. Basically 50 shots at 7 yards. Repeat at 10, 15, 20, 25 etc.

Focus on the grip pressure and pulling the trigger straight back. My problem was over gripping with my strong hand, pushing the entire gun when pulling the trigger. Fix is to relax strong hand and crush with support.

I went from total shit to okay in about 30 minutes with this drill. I’ve only done it once since my December class with Stoeger but has helped my focus in dry fire as well.

Posted Image

That target was already shot some but the “bright” black tape was from that session. Went from 50/50 a/c to 80/20 in 200 rounds.

Head shots were just fucking off at 20 yards.

#112 CheesyD

CheesyD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 08:13 AM

First overall win in Production this weekend! It turns out aggressive movement, good footwork, aggressive shooting, and proper grip are good things.

• Stubb likes this

#113 Sweet T

Sweet T

Glock Master Race

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 12:26 PM

First overall win in Production this weekend! It turns out aggressive movement, good footwork, aggressive shooting, and proper grip are good things.

Great work.

Progress breeds progress!

#114 CheesyD

CheesyD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 24 February 2018 - 06:57 PM

Movement, trigger control, and doing everything sooner have been dry fire themes. Unfortunately my live fire range shut down and I’m working out of town most of the 1st quarter so live firing is not happening. There is another place I can start live fire drills after the time change. Also didn’t get to shoot Space City where Stoeger won. Sure would have liked to see how I compared. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#115 Ben

Ben

MFCEO

• Administrators
  • 2,269 posts

Posted 15 March 2018 - 11:36 PM

Bummer about losing Pacleb Ranch

#116 CheesyD

CheesyD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 03:51 PM

Thanks bud.

It sucks but I’ve got a few other options. Both further from the house but now that the time changes has occurred, I’ll be getting out for live fire.

On a high note, I’m signed up for US IPSC Nationals. Shooting with Hopkins and Cody Axon, should be a good time.

#117 CheesyD

CheesyD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 31 March 2018 - 04:48 PM

Good news! I’m still not out of B class yet but shot a 83% on Fluffy’s Revenge II, 75% on Diamond Cutter, and 88% on Can You Count. %’s based on AZ Calc, guess I’ll know for sure this week.

It looks like I need one more 75% to jump to A. At an estimated 72% now. But I seem to shoot classifiers about once per year...

#118 CheesyD

CheesyD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 15 April 2018 - 12:47 PM

Matches that stress pure accuracy are not my bag. I’m a helluva a lot better than 6 months ago but still really suck at small steel. https://youtu.be/kDbDAA5PovY Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#119 MEISTERB

MEISTERB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 05:00 AM

What a muddy mess. I'm not sure that I wouldn't do retention reloads to avoid having to pressure wash mags after every stage!

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

• ralloway likes this

#120 CheesyD

CheesyD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 06:57 AM

So you’d just get all wet, muddy and cold to give up all opportunity to win, phoning it in.

Not what I’m there to do.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users