• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 TRBDN

TRBDN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  • Location- (n) The key to getting rich in real estate.

Posted 25 August 2016 - 08:15 AM

Yesterday I was working transitions in dry fire using the standard 3 target array at a simulated 15 yards.  The targets I was using had the A zone box lines darkened with a black pen.  I did this to make it easier to reference where my sights were as I sped through the drill. 

It got me thinking, is there any value to darkening the lines (Sharpie) for drills over 15 yards, at least for the first session with a new drill?  Obviously it wouldn't be something you always want to do, but I did see some value in dry fire yesterday.  I am thinking it might help your timing without going full blown accuracy/bullseye mode.

Thoughts? 

Games are won by players who focus on the playing field; not by those whose eyes are glued to the scoreboard - Warren Buffett

I'm here to improve my match performance, not to impress you.

#2 not that bryan

not that bryan

Fuckstick

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 08:37 AM

I have darkened the letter A in the center of the target on some of my dry fire targets. I did it to work on visually focusing on the absolute center of the target during transitions.

It seems to work well and makes it easier for me to tell when I get lazy with my visual focus and just driving the gun to brown.

#3 waktasz

waktasz

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,090 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 08:52 AM

Yesterday I was working transitions in dry fire using the standard 3 target array at a simulated 15 yards.  The targets I was using had the A zone box lines darkened with a black pen.  I did this to make it easier to reference where my sights were as I sped through the drill. 

It got me thinking, is there any value to darkening the lines (Sharpie) for drills over 15 yards, at least for the first session with a new drill?  Obviously it wouldn't be something you always want to do, but I did see some value in dry fire yesterday.  I am thinking it might help your timing without going full blown accuracy/bullseye mode.

Thoughts? 

I would think a black piece of tape in the center of the A would be more valuable. You aren't trying to hit the lines, you are trying to hit the middle.

That being said....I am going to try this.

#4 aceinyerface

aceinyerface

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,166 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 09:04 AM

I trace my USPSA dryfire targets on larger pieces of cardboard. Initially I drew in the A zone. I stopped because it was giving me something artificial to look at.

I needed to be able to recognize that the width of the head is the width of the A zone and the top of the A zone is the break of the shoulder and use that to guide my vision.

Of course, I still suck... so...

• TRBDN likes this

#5 TRBDN

TRBDN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 09:09 AM

I needed to be able to recognize that the width of the head is the width of the A zone and the top of the A zone is the break of the shoulder and use that to guide my vision.

Brilliant.  So simple and obvious, yet I have never thought about it like that.  I feel like kicking myself now...

Games are won by players who focus on the playing field; not by those whose eyes are glued to the scoreboard - Warren Buffett

#6 TRBDN

TRBDN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 09:14 AM

I have darkened the letter A in the center of the target on some of my dry fire targets.

I would think a black piece of tape in the center of the A would be more valuable.

I think the lines would benefit your training of make up shots; knowing the difference between A's vs close C's. 

Of course someone with 20/15 vision can probably see the lines anyway. 

#7 mx5

mx5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 683 posts
  • LocationMiddle of the least populated state.

Posted 25 August 2016 - 10:30 AM

When I am sighting in, testing loads, working on accuracy, etc., I'll use dots, tape. etc. When practicing transitions, movement, etc., I just use the target. When training my vision (draws, transitions, etc.) I also use the metric target shape, popper shape, etc. in original and/or reduced size without additional points of aim. In practice, I want to see the same thing I expect to see in a match. FWIW, using tape. etc. on a routine basis might result in "over aiming". YMMV.

"...wheeling out to my vehicle (in a wheel chair) with a walker across my lap."

#8 BHill

BHill

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 496 posts
  • LocationSouth East Texas

Posted 25 August 2016 - 09:49 PM

Instead of darkening the lines I will use no shoots on the sides to highlight the A zone. Along with raising the pucker factor I'm a firm believer that practicing with a large amount of no shoots will enable you to quit looking at them and therefore quit shooting them.

• TRBDN likes this

#9 not that bryan

not that bryan

Fuckstick

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 27 August 2016 - 07:30 AM

Instead of darkening the lines I will use no shoots on the sides to highlight the A zone. Along with raising the pucker factor I'm a firm believer that practicing with a large amount of no shoots will enable you to quit looking at them and therefore quit shooting them.

I use a variety of no shoots and hard cover targets in dry fire and live fire. I spend half my practice in live fire and a little less than half of dry fire with partials.

I am currently using more hard cover because it is harder for me to tell when the sight drifts into black hardcover than it is to tell when it drifts into a white no-shoot.

I don't use partials for everything because I don't want to get lazy with my visual focus. If I let my visual focus get lazy and not drive the gun to a specific spot on the target I end up shooting good groups in the C zone.
  • Stubb, BHill and Motosapiens like this

#10 BHill

BHill

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 496 posts
  • LocationSouth East Texas

Posted 27 August 2016 - 09:59 AM

I use a variety of no shoots and hard cover targets in dry fire and live fire. I spend half my practice in live fire and a little less than half of dry fire with partials.

I am currently using more hard cover because it is harder for me to tell when the sight drifts into black hardcover than it is to tell when it drifts into a white no-shoot.

I don't use partials for everything because I don't want to get lazy with my visual focus. If I let my visual focus get lazy and not drive the gun to a specific spot on the target I end up shooting good groups in the C zone.

I use the no shoots because I'm to lazy to paint up hard cover targets for practice.  I hadn't thought about losing the sight in the hard cover. I'll have to work with that in practice now.

#11 not that bryan

not that bryan

Fuckstick

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 27 August 2016 - 06:18 PM

I use the no shoots because I'm to lazy to paint up hard cover targets for practice. I hadn't thought about losing the sight in the hard cover. I'll have to work with that in practice now.

I taped up a bunch of 1/3 scale targets with black duct tape. If I were doing it over I'd just get some black construction paper and cut it to fit. That way I could change the hard cover easier.
  • Motosapiens likes this

#12 Miculek is a Noob

Miculek is a Noob

V.C.R.O.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,865 posts

Posted 29 August 2016 - 08:36 AM

Brilliant.  So simple and obvious, yet I have never thought about it like that.  I feel like kicking myself now...

Take the Level 1 RO class. How do you think some guys are so quick at scoring targets?

Of course someone with 20/15 vision can probably see the lines anyway. 

We throw their ass out of the sport if they can see lines more than 11 yards away -- 4.2.2

(One of the dumbest rules in the book)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users