#1 jimbob

jimbob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 09:12 AM

I need to hug some nuts.

The last podcast had the question about pulling shots.   Ben, suggests dry fire and wailing on trigger to feel what happens vs what every other motherfucker suggests which is the usual herp derp balance a shell and if it falls you suck!

No shit fuckface, I know I suck, i don't need to balance a fucking empty case and see it fall pull trigger on a dummy round to know I suck, WHY do I suck you dipshit?

Ben, being total student of shooting, has taken the analysis all the way to the end.

Bravo.

#2 Motosapiens

Motosapiens

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,524 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 10:03 AM

vs what every other motherfucker suggests which is the usual herp derp balance a shell and if it falls you suck!

actually i think every other motherfucker says balance a shell and if it falls practice more until it doesn't fall.

I still prefer just watching the sights tho. There are some times when I don't care if the shell would fall, I just want to pull the trigger fast, and a little wobble will keep the shots in the a-zone still.

• Mr_White and Part Of Me like this

2013 National Champion C class  Limited 10

#3 Alfred Salveti

Alfred Salveti

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 519 posts
  • LocationSugar City, USA

Posted 20 September 2016 - 10:10 AM

The shell on the gun is stupid.

You know it's empty - you'd have to be a tard to flinch or jerk when you know the gun is empty.

Some guns have a violent release of the striker that will knock the shell off anyway.

White wall drill + "Pistol Now" is the way.https://pistol-forum...erk-The-Trigger
  • Mr_White, Cheap Shot and Part Of Me like this
I like to rewatch election night 2016 coverage and I want to marry a conservative black girl who likes to shoot.

#4 Cheap Shot

Cheap Shot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 10:25 AM

I need to hug some nuts.

The last podcast had the question about pulling shots.   Ben, suggests dry fire and wailing on trigger to feel what happens vs what every other motherfucker suggests which is the usual herp derp balance a shell and if it falls you suck!

No shit fuckface, I know I suck, i don't need to balance a fucking empty case and see it fall pull trigger on a dummy round to know I suck, WHY do I suck you dipshit?

Ben, being total student of shooting, has taken the analysis all the way to the end.

Bravo.

I disagree. I thought the guidance (or lack there of) on that issue was a swing and a miss. Albeit a rare swing and a miss.

My recollection of the podcast advice.

• "Don't slow down" - makes sense
  • "DF to identify whats happening" - whats happening is the fucking sights move because:
    • I'm not gripping hard enough
    • I'm milking the grip
    • I'm not pulling the trigger straight back
    • I'm an uncoordinated retard
    • All of the above
  • "Figure out how to fix it" - WTF? Thats the real question isn't it? TELL ME HOW TO FIX IT?
  • "Test in live fire" - makes sense

I've been doing the White Wall drill since the damn book came out? How do you think I know I've got a problem. HOW DO I FIX IT? Sub 1lb trigger? Buy a Unicorn? Shoot sporting clays? Take up golf?

I did like the discussion with White Gabe, and Gabes timmie stds

• Mr_White likes this

#5 Motosapiens

Motosapiens

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,524 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 10:34 AM

You know it's empty - you'd have to be a tard to flinch or jerk when you know the gun is empty.

Some guns have a violent release of the striker that will knock the shell off anyway.

White wall drill + "Pistol Now" is the way.https://pistol-forum...erk-The-Trigger

but you know the gun is empty doing the white wall drill too, so you'd have to be a tard to flinch or jerk.......

fwiw, i have found a couple things to help me:

1. shooting into the berm and  watching only the front sight. sometimes I just shoot 1 at a time, sometimes I have to shoot several fast shots to short-circuit my blinking if its a problem that day.

2. white wall drills while paying very close attention to the sight, and any potential flinch reflex. I still sometimes get a teensy bit as i'm pulling the trigger in dryfire. In particular, i like the drill where i have the gun aimed already, and on the beep i try to pull the trigger before the beep ends, without disturbing the sights (much). I do this SHO, WHO and freestyle.

3. Dot drills or 15Y upper-a-zone shots to end every live-fire session.

I suspect that there are many different reasons that people move the sights around, so there may not be 1 formula to fix it that works for everyone.

• Mr_White likes this

2013 National Champion C class  Limited 10

#6 Cheap Shot

Cheap Shot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 10:34 AM

You may be on to something here. I'm shooting a G19. It sometimes seems like the twitch I see in the red dot is after the trigger pull. I don't see front sight movement (iron sights) as much with my G34.

• Mr_White likes this

#7 jimbob

jimbob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 10:36 AM

dude what?

you got all kinds of possibilities, but the most important thing to take from it is do it in dry fire and FEEL WHAT HAPPENS.

Then undo the feels.

da fuck you not understand about that?

damn.

• Mr_White likes this

#8 Cheap Shot

Cheap Shot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 10:49 AM

I "feels" (mostly see) the sights move

I don't know why. I've done the load a dummy round into live fire to isolate pre or post ignition push. That aint it. And after that I got nothin, except maybe possessed by demons, me or the gun.

• Mr_White likes this

#9 Peally

Peally

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,855 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 20 September 2016 - 11:16 AM

I find it odd that so many people ask the flinch question. Pay freaking attention to what your hand/wrist muscles are doing.

#10 CheesyD

CheesyD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 11:23 AM

I can't believe how many questions they take which have answers right in the book, Practical Pistol. For fucks sake Ben is a saint; I'd loose my shit answering the same questions.

• Cheap Shot and Peally like this

#11 Lloyd Christmas

Lloyd Christmas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 11:25 AM

I disagree. I thought the guidance (or lack there of) on that issue was a swing and a miss. Albeit a rare swing and a miss.

My recollection of the podcast advice.

• "Don't slow down" - makes sense
  • "DF to identify whats happening" - whats happening is the fucking sights move because:
    • I'm not gripping hard enough
    • I'm milking the grip
    • I'm not pulling the trigger straight back
    • I'm an uncoordinated retard
    • All of the above
  • "Figure out how to fix it" - WTF? Thats the real question isn't it? TELL ME HOW TO FIX IT?
  • "Test in live fire" - makes sense
I've been doing the White Wall drill since the damn book came out? How do you think I know I've got a problem. HOW DO I FIX IT? Sub 1lb trigger? Buy a Unicorn? Shoot sporting clays? Take up golf?

I did like the discussion with White Gabe, and Gabes timmie stds

Does Ben have to come over to your home range and pull your trigger for you? You have established that you have a problem, you can both recreate that problem AND solve it in DF, and you wonder why it's still happening in LF sometimes? Practice doing it right until doing it wrong feels way wrong and instantly recognizable. When you get that wrong sensation at a match, or see something weird in your sights, shoot again.

And also, yes, this is easier to not do with a better trigger, so either sell or improve your gun, it will help.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Cheap Shot likes this

#12 Cheap Shot

Cheap Shot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 01:07 PM

I can't believe how many questions they take which have answers right in the book, Practical Pistol. For fucks sake Ben is a saint; I'd loose my shit answering the same questions.

FWIW I've read 1st edition more than once and the 2nd edition (reloaded ?) once so far.

The book actually established the standard I'm trying to achieve, "pull the trigger back without moving the sights". Its important enough for me to review again, thanks.

Agree about its got to be frustrating and tedious for any instructor to put the blood sweat tears & time to accomplish a superior level of performance and then have to deal with the unwashed masses. There are still things I want to try before I go running to Ben (meaning I need to put more work in) for a class or private instruction. I've thought about this a lot and it would be disrespectful for me to go to a class without preparing to the best of my ability.

#13 aceinyerface

aceinyerface

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,166 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 02:10 PM

HOW DO I FIX IT?

27:15 

He is telling you that YOU have to figure out WHAT your problem is. Not affirm that you have a problem.

So YOU figure out what you are doing that is fucking up, and YOU work toward not doing whatever that is.

He is saying to do it in Dryfire at full speed.

That is the end of the lesson. Not sure what you wanted to hear. Nobody is going to be able to give you a few words of advice and then magically you stop screwing up.

I'm sure you could pay him $200 an hour to hold your water and talk shit to you in person while you figure it out on your own, or you can just go do the work on your own.

#14 jimbob

jimbob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 02:12 PM

FWIW I've read 1st edition more than once and the 2nd edition (reloaded ?) once so far.

The book actually established the standard I'm trying to achieve, "pull the trigger back without moving the sights". Its important enough for me to review again, thanks.

Agree about its got to be frustrating and tedious for any instructor to put the blood sweat tears & time to accomplish a superior level of performance and then have to deal with the unwashed masses. There are still things I want to try before I go running to Ben (meaning I need to put more work in) for a class or private instruction. I've thought about this a lot and it would be disrespectful for me to go to a class without preparing to the best of my ability.

He is telling you that YOU have to figure out WHAT your problem is. Not affirm that you have a problem.

So YOU figure out what you are doing that is fucking up, and YOU work toward not doing whatever that is.

He is saying to do it in Dryfire at full speed.

That is the end of the lesson. Not sure what you wanted to hear. Nobody is going to be able to give you a few words of advice and then magically you stop screwing up.

I'm sure you could pay him $200 an hour to hold your water and talk shit to you in person while you figure it out on your own, or you can just go do the work on your own.

I was typing a hissy fit rant to that, but you did better.

Holy shit.

#15 Ben

Ben

MFCEO

• Administrators
  • 2,269 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 03:22 PM

​I will do sexual stuff for that kind of money

• aceinyerface, Cranky Gunsmith, Will and 1 other like this

#16 Will

Will

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,430 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 03:40 PM

So if I encounter a tango in the food court, I tell him to stop while I place the shell on the top of the gun?

#17 Miculek is a Noob

Miculek is a Noob

V.C.R.O.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,865 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 03:45 PM

What kind of shells are we talking about here? Peanut? Pistachio? Walnut? Dungeness crab?

I just balance a penny on edge on top of the slide while pulling the trigger without it falling. Took a while but I'm getting pretty darned good at it.

#18 MemphisMechanic

MemphisMechanic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 863 posts
  • LocationMemphis, TN

Posted 20 September 2016 - 04:51 PM

​I will do sexual stuff for that kind of money

I guess I got a deal then. You made the magnitude of my suck (grip and trigger control befitting an 87 year old grandmother) painfully clear for way less than $200 per hour.

Oh. Right. No sexual stuff.

That must have been why.

(On a serious note, Ben does a great job in his classes of setting up drills that made each of us see our individual weaknesses in speed & accuracy. It's just hard to do that via podcast.)
I won an IDPA match once. It was neat.

#19 teenlaqueefah

teenlaqueefah

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 06:15 PM

Balancing shit on your front sight sounds like way, way more effort than it's worth. What the fuck will that show you that your sights won't? It's so dumb that someone must have made it up just to fuck with people.

#20 Will

Will

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,430 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 06:47 PM

So wait a second, now I have to think and balance shit on my gun before I engage the tango?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users