#21 MemphisMechanic

MemphisMechanic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 860 posts
  • LocationMemphis, TN

Posted 05 October 2016 - 08:20 PM

More like ones that reliably turn on when you turn them on and stay on until you turn them off, and indicate immediately when they're on.

I'm not sure what yours are up to, but so far all I've done is turn them on then tap record as I walk to the start position. I always check, but they're always doing what they're supposed to be doing.
I won an IDPA match once. It was neat.

#22 peterthefish

peterthefish

Banned.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,999 posts

Posted 05 October 2016 - 08:54 PM

I'm not sure what yours are up to, but so far all I've done is turn them on then tap record as I walk to the start position. I always check, but they're always doing what they're supposed to be doing.

Pretty much this. Turn them on when I'm up, press record at make ready. As with most technology, user error is the biggest failure point.

#23 teenlaqueefah

teenlaqueefah

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 05 October 2016 - 09:51 PM

That's what I try to do too, but it has failed to start recording numerous times. Because you need to wait for a few seconds after pressing the on button to press the record button, because if you press the record button too soon, it won't record.

Christ fucking forbid being able to record just by hitting the record button. Because why accomplish what you want with one button press when you can do it with two?

#24 teenlaqueefah

teenlaqueefah

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 05 October 2016 - 10:07 PM

Pretty much this. Turn them on when I'm up, press record at make ready. As with most technology, user error is the biggest failure point.

Blaming user error is a crutch for shitty product design.

These glasses have one main function: to record shit. So the process to record shit should be pretty fucking simple and foolproof. It is not.

You need to press the on button. Then you need to wait a few seconds for it to actually turn on. Then you need to hit the record button. Since there is no feedback that you've done any these steps correctly while you're wearing the glasses, you have to pull off the glasses slightly to check the LEDs. And stare long enough for the red record LED to get off its ass and blink. And then push them back on again. Which sometimes stops the recording, because the record button is conveniently located right where you would grab the glasses to put them on and take them off.

The Go-Pro has a one button record feature.

I think Pivotheads are a great product, but there's room to improve the usability.

#25 peterthefish

peterthefish

Banned.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,999 posts

Posted 05 October 2016 - 10:50 PM

Blaming user error is a crutch for shitty product design.These glasses have one main function: to record shit. So the process to record shit should be pretty fucking simple and foolproof. It is not.You need to press the on button. Then you need to wait a few seconds for it to actually turn on. Then you need to hit the record button. Since there is no feedback that you've done any these steps correctly while you're wearing the glasses, you have to pull off the glasses slightly to check the LEDs. And stare long enough for the red record LED to get off its ass and blink. And then push them back on again. Which sometimes stops the recording, because the record button is conveniently located right where you would grab the glasses to put them on and take them off.The Go-Pro has a one button record feature.I think Pivotheads are a great product, but there's room to improve the usability.

We're not talking about Shot Coach levels of counter intuitive user interface here... One button recording would be nice but means some minimally powered always on state, and the battery is already underpowered. Understanding the constraints (electronics take a few moments to power on - even my iPhone!) just fucking turn them on a minute or so before you plan to start recording. Super convenient? Maybe not. But beats the hell out of looking like a moron with a camera on your hat / aligning your helmet cams point of view.

#26 teenlaqueefah

teenlaqueefah

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 05 October 2016 - 11:22 PM

Super convenient? Maybe not.

Again, these camera glasses have one job. That job should be as convenient as possible.

Even though there are ways to work around a design, it doesn't mean the design is good.

But beats the hell out of looking like a moron with a camera on your hat / aligning your helmet cams point of view.

No argument here.

#27 peterthefish

peterthefish

Banned.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,999 posts

Posted 17 October 2016 - 11:17 AM

Wanted to give more props to Pivotheads. My gun shit itself this weekend - I was sure I was having FTEs because it seemed like every time it jammed I was racking out empty brass.

After reviewing the video did I realized I was actually having FTFs and had been racking out loaded rounds. Now I can start small and replace the recoil recoil spring instead of doing open gun voodoo.
  • waktasz likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users