184 replies to this topic

#181 Slow250

Slow250

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 04 November 2016 - 06:14 PM

The issue with this is that the nationals isn't dependent on this years performance but rather last years, that's how slots are awarded.

In a sport that I bet 90% of the people shooting it are weekend warriors I see this as being impossible. Requiring people to travel to X number of match is asking a lot of most people. Wisconsin does a points series like this... very few people can make all the matches.

Totally valid for most-but the guys winning a national championship aren't those weekend warriors.  It wouldn't help someone trying to be the "A Class Champ," but a points series that determined the National champ over 6-10 matches over 4 to 6 months would be cool to follow in my opinion.  To me it would add prestige to what the top guys are doing as well. 

If I were in charge it'd might look something like this:

4x matches in the Eastern region

4x matches in the Western region

Open, Limited, and Production Champions determined by points chase over all 8 rounds.  1st-25 points, 2nd-22 points, 3rd-20 points, 4th-19 etc...

Limited 10, Carry Optics and Single Stack are now regional championships determined over their 4 perspective rounds. 

Each round does it's own payouts/prizes etc just like LVL II/III matches now, except there is a points race to a national/regional champ.

Top 10 (by national/regional points) in each division shoot together (super squads) on Saturday afternoons of these 8 matches.  They are the only guys (gals) shooting at this time.  These guys should be able to get through the match in one session.  Amateurs have an easy way to watch all the best shooters in their division by watching these super squads.  Everyone else shoots Friday, Saturday morning and Sunday.

Pros:

-More exposure for sponsored shooters, they're shooting the pro match in one session, and everyone else is watching

-At about 12 stages per match, the national champ is decided over somewhere in the neighborhood of 100 stages.

-No home court advantage.

-Amateurs/fans get to see all the top pros, they will be around in 8 matches spread around throughout the country every year, watching the best becomes more accessible.

-Lim 10 becomes relevant as a feeder series for limited.

Just spitballin'

• ralloway likes this

#182 snark

snark

Aberrant Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,099 posts
  • LocationNull Island

Posted 04 November 2016 - 06:31 PM

USPSA had a Points Series years ago. 

It died for a number of reasons, the biggest one was lack of participation except from the people that were already doing one and thought it was awesome. 

Kind of like Revolver I guess.

Use the rules. Don't DQ someone who doesn't do anything DQable. -- Da Beard.

#183 Just Some Random Hoser

Just Some Random Hoser

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

Posted 05 November 2016 - 05:20 PM

Well that certainly is good to hear. Who the fuck wants to go to florida anyway

I love Florida....especially the Keys, diving with my daughters and saw a shark...BOOM!

#184 Just Some Random Hoser

Just Some Random Hoser

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

Posted 05 November 2016 - 05:26 PM

I live in northern IL... well aware of what it takes to train for spring matches.

Why doesn't anyone bitch about A1 and A2 being early... or Western States SS being early/late.

Single stack nationals is now 2 weekends before A5, and the dividing weekend is typically the Ohio Sectional... no one is bitching.

How about the Florida open or state match? Shit that's even earlier, EVERY YEAR.

Area 5 and Area 8 where the same weekend in 2015... no one bitched.

Double Tap and Infinity Open were on back to back weekends last year... no one bitched.

People don't actually realize how many conflicts there are with major matches. Especially for people that are willing to travel to them.

You need to decide what is important for you to shoot and train up and be prepared.

#185 TrannyOakley

TrannyOakley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 05 November 2016 - 05:31 PM

I love Florida....especially the Keys, diving with my daughters and saw a shark...BOOM!

You blew it up?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users