16 replies to this topic

#1 jimbob

jimbob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 06:54 AM

Again, 5 minutes of genius in there that goes back to the golden days of the podcast when it was just Ben and a microphone.  

The drill on fixing pushing the gun down on second shot.

Specific, measurable, completely thought out with actual reasons why, what to notice/see/feel applied vs "just do it more till it doesn't happen".

Weapons grade autism applied to solving shooting problems, genius. 

• Mr_White and Slow250 like this

#2 aceinyerface

aceinyerface

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,166 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 07:28 AM

Weapons grade autism 

I intend to use this in conversation, today.

• DMRShooting and jimbob like this

#3 MemphisMechanic

MemphisMechanic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 863 posts
  • LocationMemphis, TN

Posted 11 October 2016 - 07:34 AM

Ben had us do this in his class. I think it's one of the most stupidly obvious bits of genius you'll find in learning to grip your gun. Helpful as hell, and I've done it half a dozen times since.
I won an IDPA match once. It was neat.

#4 waktasz

waktasz

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,090 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 08:16 AM

Is it bad that I listened to this podcast but am not sure what you guys are talking about ?

Which drill is this?  The one where he talks about shooting pairs?

#5 jimbob

jimbob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 09:13 AM

Is it bad that I listened to this podcast but am not sure what you guys are talking about ?

Which drill is this?  The one where he talks about shooting pairs?

Yes, you are a terrible doodie and should feel very bad.

Yes, pairs.

#6 LeadChucker

LeadChucker

CO

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,044 posts
  • LocationHC, Utah

Posted 11 October 2016 - 10:43 AM

How about a time stamp from the podcast? Or maybe just more detail of the drill?

#7 jimbob

jimbob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 10:52 AM

How about a time stamp from the podcast? Or maybe just more detail of the drill?

12 min mark

• LeadChucker likes this

#8 MemphisMechanic

MemphisMechanic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 863 posts
  • LocationMemphis, TN

Posted 11 October 2016 - 11:27 AM

Vastly simplified: Stand a metric target up at a distance you want to work on, and shoot splits at the cadence you know you SHOULD be able to. Adjust grip pressure and the like and pay attention to what your hands are doing. Since the gun is up and ready in the A zone, you really get to focus on the (oft-neglected) second shot. The entire point of this is to get the followup to hit where you need it to by getting the sights to return to the same point consistently.

Hint: in nearly every case the people in our class discovered magical things tend to happen when your weak hand does more work with regard to gripping the gun hard.

#9 MemphisMechanic

MemphisMechanic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 863 posts
  • LocationMemphis, TN

Posted 11 October 2016 - 11:32 AM

Oh yeah. This drill is where I discovered that in my case with my gun, I need to relax my thumbs. I was a lefty pushing rounds left when I really clamped down on the gun with my weakhand - the weak thumb was pushing the muzzle left.

#10 LeadChucker

LeadChucker

CO

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,044 posts
  • LocationHC, Utah

Posted 11 October 2016 - 11:34 AM

Vastly simplified: Stand a metric target up at a distance you want to work on, and shoot splits at the cadence you know you SHOULD be able to. Adjust grip pressure and the like and pay attention to what your hands are doing. Since the gun is up and ready in the A zone, you really get to focus on the (oft-neglected) second shot. The entire point of this is to get the followup to hit where you need it to by getting the sights to return to the same point consistently.
Hint: in nearly every case the people in our class discovered magical things tend to happen when your weak hand does more work with regard to gripping the gun hard.

Thanks

#11 busdriver

busdriver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 05:38 PM

I tried that drill over the weekend.  Very useful.  Both for his stated reason, and trying to figure out what splits are even appropriate at distance, watching the dot, etc.

#12 Motosapiens

Motosapiens

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,524 posts

Posted 12 October 2016 - 11:11 AM

wait, are you suggesting that if you practice stuff, it will help you get better? that's genius!

2013 National Champion C class  Limited 10

#13 Slow250

Slow250

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 16 October 2016 - 07:43 PM

Again, 5 minutes of genius in there that goes back to the golden days of the podcast when it was just Ben and a microphone.  

The drill on fixing pushing the gun down on second shot.

Specific, measurable, completely thought out with actual reasons why, what to notice/see/feel applied vs "just do it more till it doesn't happen".

Weapons grade autism applied to solving shooting problems, genius. 

Yes, many of those little 6 or 8 minute podcasts were great.  Sometimes less is more. 

#14 busdriver

busdriver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 17 October 2016 - 03:10 AM

wait, are you suggesting that if you practice stuff, it will help you get better? that's genius!

I'm running out of shit to do on an indoor range that doesn't allow draws or "rapid fire." Sue me, I'm just not creative enough I guess.

#15 MemphisMechanic

MemphisMechanic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 863 posts
  • LocationMemphis, TN

Posted 17 October 2016 - 08:36 AM

Have you done Ben's dot drill there? (The one with a fixed 5sec par time, not "dot torture")

I've done it at a "no rapid fire" range from low ready. They come strolling over to wag their finger at you... but never seem to say anything when they see that the holes - with Mikes - are landing within a 3" circle.

Plus it's a humbling bitch of a drill that makes you a better shooter.

#16 busdriver

busdriver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 17 October 2016 - 10:32 AM

That's one of my go to drills. I have a handful that I work, some I can only get away with when I'm the only shooter there. They'll let me get away with a lot if the owner isn't there, and I'm alone.

#17 Peally

Peally

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,855 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 17 October 2016 - 11:39 AM

I'm running out of shit to do on an indoor range that doesn't allow draws or "rapid fire." Sue me, I'm just not creative enough I guess.

The entire sport is centered around speed. Might as well tell them to fuck off and start shooting at dumpsters.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: hug, nuts, autism, shooting low

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users