Photo

"New Style" open guns vs OG open guns

open

• Please log in to reply
115 replies to this topic

Poll: What kind of open gun do you like? (62 member(s) have cast votes)

New Gen or Old

1. I like em short and fat, new for me (2 votes [3.23%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 3.23%

2. Old style guns are what the pros shoot, clearly that's correct (5 votes [8.06%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 8.06%

3. Quit asking stupid gear questions, it doesn't fucking matter (20 votes [32.26%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 32.26%

4. Open is dumb (35 votes [56.45%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 56.45%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 snark

snark

Aberrant Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts
  • LocationNull Island

Posted 20 October 2016 - 08:32 AM

Yes, by all means spend hours agonizing about weights and lever arms and physics and 'working the comp' and transitions versus flatness and whatnot. 

It's fun (for some people) and it feels like every change is an improvement.

Then go to a L2 match and get crushed by Ben in the overalls.--> Attached File  Clipboard02.jpg   43.35KB   40 downloads

Use the rules. Don't DQ someone who doesn't do anything DQable. -- Da Beard.

#22 GooldMember

GooldMember

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 880 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 08:38 AM

Akai is making the most bleeding edge guns. Short gun with ultra light slide and tungsten sleeved barrel and metal grip. They transition like a limited gun and track straight up and down with the v8 holes config like the tangfos.

Best shooting open gun I have ever shot. Super soft

Stepping away from your cult-like Akai indoctrination, how do they feel compared to a full size lightweight gun, in your opinion? Those guns weigh what, 56 oz? Double what mine does?

Also, there may have been a reason he wasn't included in the original list. And it wasn't his obsession with 38 superdumb.

#23 GooldMember

GooldMember

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 880 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 08:40 AM

Yes, by all means spend hours agonizing about weights and lever arms and physics and 'working the comp' and transitions versus flip and whatnot.
It's fun (for some people) and it feels like every change is an improvement.

Then go to a L2 match and get crushed by Ben in the overalls.--> http://www.doodieproject.com/public/style_images/master/attachicon.gif Clipboard02.jpg

That is the main goal of this sport, is it not? To agonize about all the tiny things that matter a million times more than actually practicing?
  • Stubb, Mr_White, poopgiggle and 2 others like this

#24 Flexmoney

Flexmoney

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,765 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 08:50 AM

My old gun had mysterious issues, that I struggled to ever identify.

Can't make a multi-thousand dollar tool run right...wants to buy another multi-thousand dollar tool.
  • Alfred Salveti likes this

Unless otherwise noted, expect that all my posting here is in true Doodie fashion.  If my post somehow upsets your sensibilities, well...there ya go.  

#25 GooldMember

GooldMember

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 880 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 09:00 AM

Can't make a multi-thousand dollar tool run right...wants to buy another multi-thousand dollar tool.

Yes exactly, isn't that how it's supposed to work?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

#26 adoo

adoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 09:10 AM

The master race is open shooters, of any flavor. You are one of us.

Heavy vs light is really the crux of the argument here. I have never shot a heavy gun, how would you say it compares to a light gun in feel?

They feel softer, less harsh, thats the major diff,

Less smack in the palm when shooting, 

The SVI IMM, eventhough pretty short, titanium mount, comp, rts2, it has some weight due to SS grip. imho this is a very good middle compromise. For ipsc I'd probably do heavier, for just a steel match, I'd go lighter

As for what is right. light or heavy, a personal feel thing, I have lots of friends going heavy, lots going light, some going short etc. some loading the the limit of the case, some loading soft and rather have the gun live long and the minute ekstra lift. all of theese guys have GM ipsc rating and are experienced shooters. 

Its like when your loading ammo and increasing powder weight, when yo hit a certain limit, it becomes violent, not any flatter really

When you say shoot slow on a 30 yard target, or 60 yard, or up close and this and that on training, its more of a difference, at a match and when your head is in matchmode, it doesnt matter. its training, timing, experience.

The basics:

Gun has to work 100% all the  time, your equpment has to be good, you cant be racking every now and then, I have racked two times during  2016,  one was was at open nationals, prematch, sub zero temp, limp wristed like a idiot going strong hand in prematch with my mind somewhere else. Other was a bad primer (I kept round and tried 5 times more after) at small level 2 match, its my first bad primer in ages, we are talking 100.000 interval. If your gun stops from time to time and you dont trust it, its no bueno your head and mental state wont be good. 

Gun has to be SMOOTH, no jolting no hickups no nothing, this can slow down the slide sufficiently enough to not beeing able to do that superfast doubletap upclose, or even worse, not chamber and cause a malfunction, when you cock the hammer, pull the slide back and let it go, it gotto chamber that round perfect, no banging on the slide to get past the disconnector or anything stupid, 

Hitting shit, you cant be horrible and not hit far away targets, or get poor scoring, if you start by dropping a popper at 50 yards, paper at 60 yards, you gotto be like.. no stress I got this, I trained, I got a edge on everybody else, then everything else is easy. You have to be able to run 90-95% alfa if you want to, and be aware of the gain when dropping c's, when you get the c's it has to be a calculated thing, and you know at this stage it will be faster, but of course, always try to get the A. 

Grip technique, this is important, imho its another technique than then a non comped gun, its a more even hold for up down as you fight less recoil, but you fight slide going forward, you gotto grip HARD and even if you slap the trigger you shouldnt be off. Im experementing with new grips and magwells  now to increase the control even further, been shooting  SS scott skate grip mostly in open so far, but I used to shoot signature SS skate, will buy a few to try on the "development" gun, including PT evo I hope, of course this is also a personal thing, ref handsize etc ;) 

To sum it up, its about personal preference more than a specific gun. Whatever you get, just make sure it runs a 100% and you train a lot, also including dry fire.

At a stand and blast stage, I have no issues keeping up "the best", its the movement thats the hard part when you getting master/gm level. Every step is planned, every acceleration, deacceleration, every twist and turn of the body. 

#27 busdriver

busdriver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 11:22 AM

I have a heavy gun and a light gun, but no short gun.

Screwing around I can feel a difference, actually shooting on a timer I'm not sure it makes any difference.
  • getaway likes this

#28 Motosapiens

Motosapiens

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,524 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 11:23 AM

I think putting open and pcc in their own matches would be a great idea.

• Part Of Me likes this

2013 National Champion C class  Limited 10

#29 Scott

Scott

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 11:28 AM

Are they stroked? Or do you have to save all the strokin' for the Hebrew Ninja because sponsorship?

Hebrew Stroken is best strokin

#30 Scott

Scott

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 11:30 AM

I am not currently sponsored by Shay Akai of Akai Superguns but I do stay at Holiday Inn Express on occasion so I am well suited to suggest that Shay Akai of Akai Superguns is the most cutting edge designer and manufacturer of performance weapons in America today.  All you have to do is watch some YouTube videos of the V8's and V12's in action to know that they are fast, balanced, and flat.  There is a definite reason why most people who shoot Akai Superguns make GM within D̶A̶Y̶S̶  hours or on occasion minutes of acquisition.

FIFY.  "Days" was with the old style guns.  

#31 Scott

Scott

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 11:40 AM

Stepping away from your cult-like Akai indoctrination, how do they feel compared to a full size lightweight gun, in your opinion? Those guns weigh what, 56 oz? Double what mine does?

Also, there may have been a reason he wasn't included in the original list. And it wasn't his obsession with 38 superdumb.

You honestly need to shoot one and feel for yourself.
I have shot about every open gun in existence and I would never go back to a light weight gun.
My ranking so far how the guns shoot.

1.  Tungsten Akai V8

3.  Standard Akai V8 and SV IMM (tie)
4.  The long ass Limcat
5.  Bedell Shorty

everyone else

#32 GooldMember

GooldMember

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 880 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 12:01 PM

You honestly need to shoot one and feel for yourself.
I have shot about every open gun in existence and I would never go back to a light weight gun.
My ranking so far how the guns shoot.

1. Tungsten Akai V8
3. Standard Akai V8 and SV IMM (tie)
4. The long ass Limcat
5. Bedell Shorty

everyone else

I really agree I do need to shoot one for myself. But that's hard to do when no one around me has one. That is why I have drug my sorry ass to this forum and grovel at the feet of the more knowledgeable than I.

My buddy is ordering a steel grip though, so at least I will be able to see how that feels.

#33 Scott

Scott

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 12:07 PM

I really agree I do need to shoot one for myself. But that's hard to do when no one around me has one. That is why I have drug my sorry ass to this forum and grovel at the feet of the more knowledgeable than I.

My buddy is ordering a steel grip though, so at least I will be able to see how that feels.

Where are you located?

#34 GooldMember

GooldMember

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 880 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 12:15 PM

Western Oregon. I know 1 guy that shoots an Akai. But it is a limited gun and he lives hours away in Washington. A buddy used to have an akai 5.4 stroked limited gun, but again. No one around me has an akai/SV/Atlas open gun in this style.

#35 Vagetarian

Vagetarian

I used to have 3 warning points.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,982 posts
  • LocationLightyears from Ben's nuts.

Posted 20 October 2016 - 12:27 PM

Akai SuperGuns are way too metrosexual for anyone in Western Oregon. They simply don't do well with beards and flannel.

Kitten_zps66d94599.jpg
I just man-handled that prick with my Type-A personality.
Dipshit tard duckweed goat humper.

You're all a bunch of fucking idiots and retards!

#36 GooldMember

GooldMember

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 880 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 12:41 PM

Akai SuperGuns are way too metrosexual for anyone in Western Oregon. They simply don't do well with beards and flannel.

I didn't choose the logger life, the logger life chose me.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

#37 GooldMember

GooldMember

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 880 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 03:20 PM

So, I got an email reply from Atlas.  I asked them how much one of the example guns they have in their gallery weighed, and was told it was in the high 50 ounce range.  Yikes.

So the way I see it, 9 ounces is from the grip. 5 ounces from the long dust cover.  6-ish ounces from the aluminum CMore. That would make up the 20 ounces of additional weight over my gun. 

I guess I need to just track down a short fat and try it. 

#38 leas327

leas327

Retarded SME

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,108 posts
  • LocationBendover, Illshowya

Posted 20 October 2016 - 04:21 PM

Like this...

Open%20guns_zps8ntt9j0f.jpg

All that money on the new hotness and they both are 4 different finishes/in the white.

I see you also saved yourself $80 by going with the plastic gunsmith fit triggers instead of the SV stuff everyone else runs.

And finally, sweet blend on the the DP mag release to the grip on that bottom gun, those things really are built with care and precision.
  • Flexmoney, Yard Sale, peterthefish and 1 other like this

#39 Ben

Ben

MFCEO

• Administrators
  • 2,269 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 04:46 PM

I think putting open and pcc in their own matches would be a great idea.

Moar participation bro. 

#40 Yard Sale

Yard Sale

OK, boomer.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,200 posts
  • Locationbottom of the results sheet

Posted 20 October 2016 - 05:37 PM

Open is dumb.

Even dumber is having a $5000 gun but still pulling a fucking handle. Mark 7 bitches.

Bitch please. $5995 for the tungsten HBAR hotness. Mark 7 worshippers are probably a bunch of Production shooters who reload magazines more than I pull a Dillon handle anyway.

And whoever said that shit about sideways mounts can sniff my taint. It has nothing to do with case ejection. It keeps the dot close to the bore, which is important to us iron sight loving heterosexual males who haven't fully embraced this alternative lifestyle of dots and comps.

So anyway, I have a big, heavy gun (tungsten wrapped bull barrel). It's soft and I like it.

Team F.T.P.

our guns are lubricated with the tears of crooked cops

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: open

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users