Photo

"New Style" open guns vs OG open guns

open

• Please log in to reply
115 replies to this topic

Poll: What kind of open gun do you like? (62 member(s) have cast votes)

New Gen or Old

1. I like em short and fat, new for me (2 votes [3.23%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 3.23%

2. Old style guns are what the pros shoot, clearly that's correct (5 votes [8.06%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 8.06%

3. Quit asking stupid gear questions, it doesn't fucking matter (20 votes [32.26%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 32.26%

4. Open is dumb (35 votes [56.45%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 56.45%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 aceinyerface

aceinyerface

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,166 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 06:03 PM

Bitch please. $5995 for the tungsten HBAR hotness. Mark 7 worshippers are probably a bunch of Production shooters who reload magazines more than I pull a Dillon handle anyway.

And whoever said that shit about sideways mounts can sniff my taint. It has nothing to do with case ejection. It keeps the dot close to the bore, which is important to us iron sight loving heterosexual males who haven't fully embraced this alternative lifestyle of dots and comps.

So anyway, I have a big, heavy gun (tungsten wrapped bull barrel). It's soft and I like it.

Homo.

Why do you need all of that shit to go fast?

#42 GooldMember

GooldMember

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 880 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 06:24 PM

Moar participation bro. 

Hey man. Do what you will with the rifle shooters, but leave the Master Race out of it. 

#43 GooldMember

GooldMember

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 880 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 06:27 PM

Bitch please. $5995 for the tungsten HBAR hotness. Mark 7 worshippers are probably a bunch of Production shooters who reload magazines more than I pull a Dillon handle anyway.

And whoever said that shit about sideways mounts can sniff my taint. It has nothing to do with case ejection. It keeps the dot close to the bore, which is important to us iron sight loving heterosexual males who haven't fully embraced this alternative lifestyle of dots and comps.

So anyway, I have a big, heavy gun (tungsten wrapped bull barrel). It's soft and I like it.

I said that shit about sideways mounts, and I stand by every word. There will be no taint sniffing today (at least not yours). And an iron sight loving open shooter.. hmm... sounds like you are a mixed breed. you can show yourself to the door, they will provide with a star on the way out. 

And yes, it does have to do with case ejection for a significant number of shooters. 

#44 Scott

Scott

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 07:09 PM

All that money on the new hotness and they both are 4 different finishes/in the white.

I see you also saved yourself $80 by going with the plastic gunsmith fit triggers instead of the SV stuff everyone else runs.

And finally, sweet blend on the the DP mag release to the grip on that bottom gun, those things really are built with care and precision.

Not that it matters but...

The SV trigger bows break.  Fuck that I have a box full of broken ones.
Both of the grips are the new evos that weren't out when the guns were built.  The one on the chrome gun is at the hardchromer now
New mag button on the bottom gun.

Last but not least.  Go fuck yourself.

#45 GooldMember

GooldMember

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 880 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 07:46 PM

Last but not least.  Go fuck yourself.

It's a very bold retort Cotton, let's see how he reacts.

#46 NickBlasta

NickBlasta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 500 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 21 October 2016 - 03:17 AM

I have shot a few of the CK arms short/heavy guns with the steel grips and holes (4? centerline? I think that's how he does it, not like a V8) and it is different. Holding it, it feels like the weight's in the middle of your palm, not up above in the slide. Felt less flippy than my gun, but more push into the hand. The more I shot the less the difference made and I couldn't make a difference appear on the timer. So I kind of think it's like agonizing over shooting 124 or 147s in 9 only with more dollars in the difference.

#47 Flexmoney

Flexmoney

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,765 posts

Posted 21 October 2016 - 07:17 AM

My old gun had mysterious issues, that I struggled to ever identify. My current gun has mysterious issues that only pop up in matches.

Wait, are you talking about 2 guns that you haven't been able to get to run?  Not that it matters.  If so, you might look for a common denominator though.   ;)

Can't make a multi-thousand dollar tool run right...wants to buy another multi-thousand dollar tool.

Yes exactly, isn't that how it's supposed to work?

I can tell you how these forum posts work. Dudes come onto some forum asking about some hotness. In their minds, they have already decided.  They just need their ego stroked so they can feel better about themselves.  

The respondents, some of them aren't any better.  They too want their egos strokes and others to validate their recent purchases.  

Then you have the guys that get put to the front of the line with their gunsmith becuase they wear the smith's logo on thier shirt.  

That circle jerk usually means you don't hear from those that actually have the experience to give you the best advise.  Or, those good souls give it an effort, but it is lost in the jefkfest.  Probably because they don't tell you what you want to hear.  

[eta:  I mean...not this thread though.  Just in general.  ;)  ]

• peterthefish, 180gr and GooldMember like this

Unless otherwise noted, expect that all my posting here is in true Doodie fashion.  If my post somehow upsets your sensibilities, well...there ya go.  

#48 jimbob

jimbob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 21 October 2016 - 08:19 AM

Caring how much an open gun weighs when the first thing you do is stick a mag in it with another pound+ of ammo.

Retarded.

Still somewhat less faggy than production.

• (Sh)ItJustGotReal likes this

#49 GooldMember

GooldMember

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 880 posts

Posted 21 October 2016 - 09:42 AM

Caring how much an open gun weighs when the first thing you do is stick a mag in it with another pound+ of ammo.

Retarded.

Still somewhat less faggy than production.

But that pound would be added to it whether your guns weighs 38 ounces or 58 ounces, so yes it does still have a big difference.  

Wait, are you talking about 2 guns that you haven't been able to get to run?  Not that it matters.  If so, you might look for a common denominator though.   ;)

Yea, I suck. But I don't deny that I suck, it just so happens that both of my guns also have... dubious pasts. My only thought was having a gun from someone that I have actually heard of might be a good place to start.

I can tell you how these forum posts work. Dudes come onto some forum asking about some hotness. In their minds, they have already decided.  They just need their ego stroked so they can feel better about themselves.  

The respondents, some of them aren't any better.  They too want their egos strokes and others to validate their recent purchases.  

Then you have the guys that get put to the front of the line with their gunsmith becuase they wear the smith's logo on thier shirt.  

That circle jerk usually means you don't hear from those that actually have the experience to give you the best advise.  Or, those good souls give it an effort, but it is lost in the jefkfest.  Probably because they don't tell you what you want to hear.  

[eta:  I mean...not this thread though.  Just in general.   ;)  ]

As for the rest of that report, I have never seen such an accurate description of forums in general. I applaud your superior intellect. 

#50 GooldMember

GooldMember

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 880 posts

Posted 21 October 2016 - 09:45 AM

I have shot a few of the CK arms short/heavy guns with the steel grips and holes (4? centerline? I think that's how he does it, not like a V8) and it is different. Holding it, it feels like the weight's in the middle of your palm, not up above in the slide. Felt less flippy than my gun, but more push into the hand. The more I shot the less the difference made and I couldn't make a difference appear on the timer. So I kind of think it's like agonizing over shooting 124 or 147s in 9 only with more dollars in the difference.

Hmm. So it doesn't appear to matter. As I had guessed. 

For the rest of you TL;DR peeps, here is the punchline: "Your gear doesn't matter, so quit asking stupid fucking gear questions and train more."

#51 Flexmoney

Flexmoney

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,765 posts

Posted 21 October 2016 - 10:04 AM

What if you started a thread asking about Open guns that run well?  That might prove...informative.

Unless otherwise noted, expect that all my posting here is in true Doodie fashion.  If my post somehow upsets your sensibilities, well...there ya go.  

#52 GooldMember

GooldMember

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 880 posts

Posted 21 October 2016 - 10:22 AM

What if you started a thread asking about Open guns that run well?  That might prove...informative.

Probably it would.

I know many of my issues come back to that dumbass that makes my ammunition.  My current (new) gun has an exceedingly tight chamber, so anything that is even remotely not perfect will fuck me. I bought one of them new fangled hundo gauges, but that shit is bust (chambers are way too tight). I have been meaning to send it back to the pro shop so they could send me a different one, but I haven't gotten around to it yet. School is keeping my busy these days.

Other mysterious issues that have just randomly appeared at matches include:

• Failure to feed
  • Failure to eject
  • Failure to reset the trigger (due to a loss of disconnector leg tension)
  • Failure to shoot all A zone hits faster than the other guys

#53 NickBlasta

NickBlasta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 500 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 21 October 2016 - 10:30 AM

I had a one grand ammo failure this year with a ruptured case that wouldn't extract. Pulled it out of the chamber with my pocketknife on the clock.

Had a couple rough matches where I thought I'd relieved enough under my new ejector, but hadn't, leading to FTF.

Problem fixed, gun back to running 100%. No jams at nats!

#54 adoo

adoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 21 October 2016 - 10:33 AM

I only use 2 brands of brass and I size them twice, gonna do roll isze now as well just for good measure.

I also process and clean before loading. 

debugging open guns ... and guns in general blows

#55 Doughnut

Doughnut

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 21 October 2016 - 10:43 AM

yeah, open is dumb

#56 GooldMember

GooldMember

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 880 posts

Posted 21 October 2016 - 10:54 AM

I had a one grand ammo failure this year with a ruptured case that wouldn't extract. Pulled it out of the chamber with my pocketknife on the clock.

Had a couple rough matches where I thought I'd relieved enough under my new ejector, but hadn't, leading to FTF.

Problem fixed, gun back to running 100%. No jams at nats!

I only had 1 malfunction at the Oregon Open, but it cost me a stage win on the Standards stage. Bulged case that got stuck in chamber. 

I had like 10 malfunctions at the Columbia Cascade match.  All FTF. How do I check my ejector? Is extractor tension a possibility? 

My last club match in Albany I survived without any malfunctions and got the match win, coincidence? 

I only use 2 brands of brass and I size them twice, gonna do roll isze now as well just for good measure.

I also process and clean before loading. 

debugging open guns ... and guns in general blows

Debugging guns blows hard. This shit is stupid. 

#57 LotherSS

LotherSS

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 21 October 2016 - 10:56 AM

I've shot both a light and heavy Akai guns along with Biddells, an Abernathy, and a few others. The weight is a personal preference, but the comp/hole pattern on the Akai's were the flattest of the ones I've shot. Just wear a diaper if you use one, their loud enough to scare last night's tacos right out of you.

• Evelle Snoats likes this

#58 GooldMember

GooldMember

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 880 posts

Posted 21 October 2016 - 11:06 AM

I've shot both a light and heavy Akai guns along with Biddells, an Abernathy, and a few others. The weight is a personal preference, but the comp/hole pattern on the Akai's were the flattest of the ones I've shot. Just wear a diaper if you use one, their loud enough to scare last night's tacos right out of you.

I've shot/RO'd a few guns that made me feel that way. One in particular... a 357 sig with some big ass holes in the barrel. The owner of that gun is a real douche! Trying to make the rest of us go deaf when he shoots it. 125s with like 14.5 grains of blue dot or something silly. 

#59 Vagetarian

Vagetarian

I used to have 3 warning points.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,982 posts
  • LocationLightyears from Ben's nuts.

Posted 21 October 2016 - 11:07 AM

When are you going to come out of the closet with who built these shitty guns for you?  Do tell...

Kitten_zps66d94599.jpg
I just man-handled that prick with my Type-A personality.
Dipshit tard duckweed goat humper.

You're all a bunch of fucking idiots and retards!

#60 GooldMember

GooldMember

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 880 posts

Posted 21 October 2016 - 11:14 AM

When are you going to come out of the closet with who built these shitty guns for you?  Do tell...

I literally don't know. I bought both used, and neither had any genealogy to trace backwards. I wish it was as easy as just shitting on some builder, unfortunately I can't.

My biggest goal at this point, after being brought to the light of just how stupid it is to stress out over equipment, is to just get my current gun running 105% so I can lay waste to motherfuckers.  

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: open

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users