Photo

"New Style" open guns vs OG open guns

open

• Please log in to reply
115 replies to this topic

Poll: What kind of open gun do you like? (62 member(s) have cast votes)

New Gen or Old

1. I like em short and fat, new for me (2 votes [3.23%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 3.23%

2. Old style guns are what the pros shoot, clearly that's correct (5 votes [8.06%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 8.06%

3. Quit asking stupid gear questions, it doesn't fucking matter (20 votes [32.26%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 32.26%

4. Open is dumb (35 votes [56.45%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 56.45%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#101 MemphisMechanic

MemphisMechanic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 863 posts
  • LocationMemphis, TN

Posted 23 October 2016 - 04:23 PM

Yes, open shooters are spawned having never shot iron sights. Thankfully you figured it out for us. I should go buy a sideways mount so my 3.5 pound hand rifle is more practical.

Quoted on account of having achieved Epic Win status.
I won an IDPA match once. It was neat.

#102 Peally

Peally

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,855 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 23 October 2016 - 04:25 PM

RE Intros: They're pretty handy with such a small group. If you're a C class revolver shooter I can safely toss aside any advice or tips.

• Yard Sale likes this

#103 RDS

RDS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 23 October 2016 - 05:22 PM

Late to party, but GM in physics, though open is dumb.

Heavier Gun--reduces muzzle flip (torque)

Having mass at the END of the pistol will reduce muzzle flip (torque) as well (Math would be involed--I = Integral of distance squared for each mass element).

Having a shorter pistol of same weight would also decrease  muzzle flip as torque is r x f (r cross f) or the cross product of the distance to the force form the pivot.

As far as recoil, recoil will be recoil, however "felt recoil" which isn't exactly a standard physics term will be less for a heavier gun as the gun will not slam into your hand as fast.  Gun size/dimensions should make no impact on the recoil, other than its easier to make a larger gun heavier.

This of course ignores the increased muscle fatigue for all you pussies who can't carry around a 4 lb pistol for 30 seconds running full speed because heavier guns torque your arms more.  A shorter gun would have a slightly easier time, but if we calcualted, best estimate would be the difference would be negligible.  That extra couple ounces hanging on the end of a "long pistol" will not impact the Center of Mass of the pistol much, so I would ignore the effect cause I ain't doing math for you guys.

TL:DR give your money to me,  buy a glock.  And a short fat gun has reduced muzzle flip compared to a same weight gun or larger dimension.

Ignored factors:

Muzzle velocity loss

Compensator effect

Your mom

Sight radius (red dots so pfft)

It's not about winning, it's about emasculating your friends in front of their loved ones

#104 GooldMember

GooldMember

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 880 posts

Posted 24 October 2016 - 12:21 PM

Saturday, at the match, someone had one of them there awesome Atlas Titan limited guns, seen here: http://www.atlasgunw...-guns-atlas.php

As such, I played with it and must say, I love the way the steel grip feels. Fills my hand well, super grippy, feels great. The build quality of the atlas gun was impeccable, as an aside. 

However, that is a limited gun, not an open gun. So I still am on the fence as to whether I would like it for open, because the comp does most of the work for keeping the gun flat and soft anyway. My friend I mentioned earlier that just ordered an evo grip told me it will be here hopefully this week, so maybe I will get to shoot it next weekend at the match. That would be probably as close to one of these guns as I can get (STI matchmaster with a steel grip).

TL;DR: Atlas builds a good gun, steel grips feel great, gonna shoot a metal grip open gun next week.

#105 RDS

RDS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 25 October 2016 - 01:29 PM

Saturday, at the match, someone had one of them there awesome Atlas Titan limited guns, seen here: http://www.atlasgunw...-guns-atlas.php

As such, I played with it and must say, I love the way the steel grip feels. Fills my hand well, super grippy, feels great. The build quality of the atlas gun was impeccable, as an aside. 

However, that is a limited gun, not an open gun. So I still am on the fence as to whether I would like it for open, because the comp does most of the work for keeping the gun flat and soft anyway. My friend I mentioned earlier that just ordered an evo grip told me it will be here hopefully this week, so maybe I will get to shoot it next weekend at the match. That would be probably as close to one of these guns as I can get (STI matchmaster with a steel grip).

TL;DR: Atlas builds a good gun, steel grips feel great, gonna shoot a metal grip open gun next week.

As always I take free leftovers and sloppy seconds. More than happy to take those dumb old-style open guns and give them a good home

It's not about winning, it's about emasculating your friends in front of their loved ones

#106 GuanoLoco

GuanoLoco

Minister of Culture

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,245 posts
  • LocationMy Safe Space

Posted 26 October 2016 - 12:29 PM

Intro threads are where you demonstrate whether you as a big a tard as we automatically assume you are - or maybe not.

They are an essential element of the "Doodie Experience".
  • Roons likes this
Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

You'll never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

In Doodie, Veritas.

"You might be a little thin-skinned for this forum". -Scott.

#107 Flexmoney

Flexmoney

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,765 posts

Posted 27 October 2016 - 07:21 AM

the comp does most of the work for keeping the gun flat and soft anyway.

Says who?

Unless otherwise noted, expect that all my posting here is in true Doodie fashion.  If my post somehow upsets your sensibilities, well...there ya go.  

#108 GooldMember

GooldMember

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 880 posts

Posted 27 October 2016 - 10:10 AM

Says who?

Says.... the whole point of open gun logic? Why even have a comp if it doesn't do that?

#109 Vagetarian

Vagetarian

I used to have 3 warning points.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,982 posts
  • LocationLightyears from Ben's nuts.

Posted 27 October 2016 - 11:15 AM

Says.... the whole point of open gun logic? Why even have a comp if it doesn't do that?

Because it looks cool.  Function is all about the popple holes.

Kitten_zps66d94599.jpg
I just man-handled that prick with my Type-A personality.
Dipshit tard duckweed goat humper.

You're all a bunch of fucking idiots and retards!

#110 NickBlasta

NickBlasta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 500 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 27 October 2016 - 12:28 PM

Because it looks cool.  Function is all about the popple holes.

CpGpXmr.jpg

#111 used up

used up

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 27 October 2016 - 03:05 PM

Do you fuckers even read? I've used the barrel and apparently am too stupid to understand it, because I have still had failures doing so. I drop the rounds in, and the plunk in and fall out. But apparently isn't consistent enough.

You have to spin the round and re drop a couple of times to be sure.
And run your finger over the primers to ensure they are properly seated.

#112 busdriver

busdriver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 27 October 2016 - 04:25 PM

Late to party, but GM in physics, though open is dumb.

Heavier Gun--reduces muzzle flip (torque)

Having mass at the END of the pistol will reduce muzzle flip (torque) as well (Math would be involed--I = Integral of distance squared for each mass element).

Having a shorter pistol of same weight would also decrease  muzzle flip as torque is r x f (r cross f) or the cross product of the distance to the force form the pivot.

I tried to not respond to this.  I really tried.  Mass at the end reduces muzzle flip, but so does a shorter one?

Recoil is momentum plus some jet effect of the expanding gas, transferred through the slide to the frame, then to you.

Momentum = Mass x Velocity, more gun mass means lower gun velocity (felt recoil)

Heavy and long = higher polar moment of inertia (resists rotating, muzzle flip)

Torque from recoil would be the result of the center of mass of the slide's distance above the pivot point (your ham hand).

Short guns work by attaching the comp to a point on the barrel where the pressure is higher.

Comps work to reduce slide speed by providing a surface the expanding gas can impinge on (baffles).

Holes vent high pressure gas like a reaction jet.

#113 RDS

RDS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 27 October 2016 - 07:30 PM

I tried to not respond to this.  I really tried.  Mass at the end reduces muzzle flip, but so does a shorter one?

Recoil is momentum plus some jet effect of the expanding gas, transferred through the slide to the frame, then to you.

Momentum = Mass x Velocity, more gun mass means lower gun velocity (felt recoil)

Heavy and long = higher polar moment of inertia (resists rotating, muzzle flip)

Torque from recoil would be the result of the center of mass of the slide's distance above the pivot point (your ham hand).

Short guns work by attaching the comp to a point on the barrel where the pressure is higher.

Comps work to reduce slide speed by providing a surface the expanding gas can impinge on (baffles).

Holes vent high pressure gas like a reaction jet.

yeah you shoulda kept quiet.

all you did we restate what I said  and explain how comps work to a group of people who probably masturbate to comps.  Color me fascinated.

That and you managed to get every shooter in the world to agree on felt recoil.  

We should go bowling.

• peterthefish likes this

#114 busdriver

busdriver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 27 October 2016 - 07:35 PM

Having mass at the END of the pistol will reduce muzzle flip

Having a shorter pistol of same weight would also decrease  muzzle flip

I'm game for bowling however.

Edit:  You meant shorter in height didn't you?  If so, mea culpa.

#115 CB45

CB45

Granpaw

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 27 October 2016 - 08:24 PM

yawn. this is not interesting

#116 Flexmoney

Flexmoney

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,765 posts

Posted 28 October 2016 - 07:06 AM

yawn. this is not interesting

Yeah, well your open gun is ugly. Unless it runs.
  • CB45 likes this

Unless otherwise noted, expect that all my posting here is in true Doodie fashion.  If my post somehow upsets your sensibilities, well...there ya go.  

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: open

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users