49 replies to this topic

#21 Roons

Roons

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 462 posts

Posted 26 October 2016 - 04:45 PM

Criss-Cross.  It kicks your ass on fast transitions with different trigger pulls.  Love it.

"You can give it the old spin."

#22 redrider

redrider

lolcow

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 26 October 2016 - 04:46 PM

i shoot drills in dry fire. when i go to the range for live fire i shoot stages or components of stages.

from your dry fire book i like "quick step"

#23 Unclassified

Unclassified

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,394 posts

Posted 26 October 2016 - 05:46 PM

Always some variation of distance change up. Close paper/15 or 20 yd plates/ close paper.

Sometimes I use partials at 15 to 25 yds instead of plates.

Because when I did Ben's class my pitiful attempts to hit the 25 yard popper after the close stuff revealed a deep seated flaw in my psyche.... I believe it's called discipline.
Dude, I thought you would be better...... MFCEO

#24 Ben

Ben

MFCEO

• Administrators
  • 2,269 posts

Posted 26 October 2016 - 05:49 PM

except accuracy at distance, SHO, WHO, movement, partials, hard leans, unloaded starts, and 98173490817324 other things.

Jesus. I mean, you are right though. 

#25 Nimrod

Nimrod

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 26 October 2016 - 06:34 PM

April Flowers and Lex. 

#26 slemmo

slemmo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 26 October 2016 - 10:42 PM

I don't train, I shoot matches. 33 so far in 2016. Rifle and pistol combined. Other than that we have some rifle drills that are shot just for benchmarking. Training is boring.

#27 WJM

WJM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • LocationS.L.U.T

Posted 26 October 2016 - 10:46 PM

I have been trying to not do repeatable drills as much in practice. 

Basically I have a plan of several things I am weak at at the moment, and I build mini 8-10 round stages that test one of the weak things, and one or two things I am strong or okay at.

For example, today I ran a drill where off the draw was a partial that was far, and then a distance change up to an easy target. Following this was a steel at 10 yards on the move, then an easy target and a distance change up on a lean. 

I suck at leans. I am pretty good at shooting on the move, and pretty alright at distance change up.

Anyways rambling again. 

If I had to say one drill that I do the most is incorporate distance change up in my practice.

Wyatt

#28 MilkMyDuds

MilkMyDuds

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 27 October 2016 - 07:12 AM

I have been trying to not do repeatable drills as much in practice. 

Basically I have a plan of several things I am weak at at the moment, and I build mini 8-10 round stages that test one of the weak things, and one or two things I am strong or okay at.

For example, today I ran a drill where off the draw was a partial that was far, and then a distance change up to an easy target. Following this was a steel at 10 yards on the move, then an easy target and a distance change up on a lean. 

I suck at leans. I am pretty good at shooting on the move, and pretty alright at distance change up.

Anyways rambling again. 

If I had to say one drill that I do the most is incorporate distance change up in my practice.

Wyatt

This is interesting.  I always wonder if it's better to mix drills into mini stages in practice, instead of repeating these drills individually.  I guess somewhere I heard repetition is always better than no-repetition. I will try the mini stage idea for a month.  Maybe do those 20 times each practice session. 

#29 Motosapiens

Motosapiens

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,524 posts

Posted 27 October 2016 - 09:43 AM

This is interesting.  I always wonder if it's better to mix drills into mini stages in practice, instead of repeating these drills individually.  I guess somewhere I heard repetition is always better than no-repetition. I will try the mini stage idea for a month.  Maybe do those 20 times each practice session. 

I think some kind of mix is the best plan. It's tempting to just keep running drills, but I seem to get more out of my practice sessions when I incorporate some of the drill ideas into an 8-10 rd stage, run it twice in each direction, then mix up the stage a little so it doesn't become a drill and do it a few more times.

2013 National Champion C class  Limited 10

#30 WJM

WJM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • LocationS.L.U.T

Posted 27 October 2016 - 09:51 AM

I think some kind of mix is the best plan. It's tempting to just keep running drills, but I seem to get more out of my practice sessions when I incorporate some of the drill ideas into an 8-10 rd stage, run it twice in each direction, then mix up the stage a little so it doesn't become a drill and do it a few more times.

I usually run it 10 times one way to get an average, then change it to do a "new" drill and run it 10 more times.

The "new" drill could be running it right to left instead of left to right.

#31 J.A.Nine

J.A.Nine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 27 October 2016 - 10:12 AM

Practice routine I try to cram into 2 hours:

1. Bill drill.

2. whatever I think I should be working on

3. 25 yard group shooting.

Ben told me, "Grip it harder."

#32 ralloway

ralloway

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • LocationGreensburg, PA

Posted 28 October 2016 - 06:07 AM

Anderson's "Starts & Stops" and "Breaking Up Starts & Stops". MFCEO's Accelerator. Seeklander's "Swinging Reload"

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

---------------------------------
He's just this guy... ya know?!
---------------------------------

#33 Maxamundo

Maxamundo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 28 October 2016 - 02:00 PM

Personally I really like the basic Ryobi Cordless 18V drill. It's not too expensive, only $70 at Home Depot, so more money for ammo. I have been using it for a while at home and also at the range for building and tearing down, or prop making, and the thing has held up really well. The ratcheting system is very useful to make sure you don't strip any screws or twist your wrist off if you get a stubborn screw that doesn't want to go in all the way. Just get a few extra battery packs and make sure to keep them charged and you're good to go.

a82adda8-3d60-4b83-88e1-4a8c38ec166b_100

Also one of my favorite attachments is the screw guide, it allows you to extend the metal tube over the length of the screw before you even start drilling so that you'll never "buckle" when applying a lot of force down onto the screw. As you drill the screw in the guide is pushed back down by the surface you're drilling into, so the screw is protected from bending the entire time you're drilling it in. It just makes each screw so much easier to drill.

D0xd1po.jpg

• Roons likes this

#34 ToddKS

ToddKS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts
  • LocationGetting killed in the streets

Posted 28 October 2016 - 03:42 PM

The "ratcheting system" is called a clutch. Kids these days....get off my lawn!

#35 Vagetarian

Vagetarian

I used to have 3 warning points.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,982 posts
  • LocationLightyears from Ben's nuts.

Posted 28 October 2016 - 04:17 PM

Personally I really like the basic Ryobi Cordless 18V drill. It's not too expensive, only $70 at Home Depot, so more money for ammo. I have been using it for a while at home and also at the range for building and tearing down, or prop making, and the thing has held up really well. The ratcheting system is very useful to make sure you don't strip any screws or twist your wrist off if you get a stubborn screw that doesn't want to go in all the way. Just get a few extra battery packs and make sure to keep them charged and you're good to go.

a82adda8-3d60-4b83-88e1-4a8c38ec166b_100

Also one of my favorite attachments is the screw guide, it allows you to extend the metal tube over the length of the screw before you even start drilling so that you'll never "buckle" when applying a lot of force down onto the screw. As you drill the screw in the guide is pushed back down by the surface you're drilling into, so the screw is protected from bending the entire time you're drilling it in. It just makes each screw so much easier to drill.

D0xd1po.jpg

Dude that's the Hi-Point of drills.  And your screw guide is a huge gaping magwell for beginners.  Sure, your drill will drill but it's no Akai SuperGun.

• ToddKS, peterthefish and TrannyOakley like this

Kitten_zps66d94599.jpg
I just man-handled that prick with my Type-A personality.
Dipshit tard duckweed goat humper.

You're all a bunch of fucking idiots and retards!

#36 OriginalTerror

OriginalTerror

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 29 October 2016 - 12:36 PM

Porter Cable FTW! It's the Unicorn of drilllls.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

#37 GuruOfGuns

GuruOfGuns

I was there SME

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,394 posts
  • Locationhorizontal unless I can get help

Posted 29 October 2016 - 05:25 PM

I keep my equipment clean.

IMG_7991-wk.jpg

• ToddKS likes this

"I'm older and fatter than any of you dipshits."

#38 slemmo

slemmo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 30 October 2016 - 12:37 AM

offshore-drilling-4.jpg

• peterthefish likes this

#39 ron169

ron169

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 623 posts
  • LocationSouth Georgia

Posted 30 October 2016 - 01:46 AM

I keep my equipment clean.

IMG_7991-wk.jpg

Revolver shooter if I've ever seen one
  • Yard Sale, OriginalTerror, peterthefish and 2 others like this

#40 GooldMember

GooldMember

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 880 posts

Posted 01 November 2016 - 05:05 PM

El Presidente is the best drill ever becuase it's one of the first, tests just about everything, is easy to set up, and easy to take.

I think the best drill that teaches something and you learn along the way is 2 @ 25 under 2 seconds, or the "GM Test."

https://pistol-forum...eek-108-GM-Test

I'm going to give this whole GM test a run, with the single stack. Seems like a good drill.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users