#1 MemphisMechanic

MemphisMechanic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 859 posts
  • LocationMemphis, TN

Posted 28 October 2016 - 02:44 PM

I'm working with a new shooter who finds steel frustrating - an issue I believe everyone has seen at their local matches. There's nothing more disheartening than watching who was having a fund day... throw a magazine and a half at a Texas Star only to finish the stage with three plates still standing.

Do you have any recommendations for drills to teach someone to See What They Need To See in order to slaughter steel more consistently?

I understand exactly what they need to do: find the front sight, pull the trigger straight back, and follow through without looking for the hit. What I'm hoping is that someone has a creative drill (or evan a more intuitive explanation) to really get someone to understand the process required to get hits on 15yd 8" plates as a novice.
I won an IDPA match once. It was neat.

#2 maximis228

maximis228

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 28 October 2016 - 02:46 PM

Dot Drill.

#3 MemphisMechanic

MemphisMechanic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 859 posts
  • LocationMemphis, TN

Posted 28 October 2016 - 02:48 PM

Dot Drill.

Saw that one coming.

#4 Hoes Master

Hoes Master

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 28 October 2016 - 02:49 PM

If they can't hit a piece of steel it's because they can't shoot straight, not that they can't "see what they need to see".

I'd do some white wall drills so they learn to manipulate the trigger correctly. When moving to live fire id have them double up on ear pro to help mitigate a flinch.

#5 Sprewell

Sprewell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,578 posts
  • LocationBanned

Posted 28 October 2016 - 02:57 PM

All I do is practice hitting steel plates.  Staple paper plates on a cardboard backer and then shoot at them.  I'm too cheap to buy actual steel plates.

#6 GuanoLoco

GuanoLoco

Minister of Culture

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,245 posts
  • LocationMy Safe Space

Posted 28 October 2016 - 02:57 PM

Tell them to try trapping and a slow spot vs. tracking plates. 

Most noobs I see dying on a texas star (a) suck at sights and especially trigger and (b ) constantly and randomly swap between tracking and trapping.

It doesn't help when the MD puts the star at 15+ yards.

Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

You'll never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

In Doodie, Veritas.

"You might be a little thin-skinned for this forum". -Scott.

#7 Sprewell

Sprewell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,578 posts
  • LocationBanned

Posted 28 October 2016 - 03:07 PM

Most noobs I see dying on a texas star (a) suck at sights and especially trigger and (b ) constantly and randomly swap between tracking and trapping.

I've never shot a Texas star.  I noticed one off to the side at Talladega last year, some enterprising individual should set it up and charge a couple bucks to give it a run at the upcoming Glock match.

#8 GuanoLoco

GuanoLoco

Minister of Culture

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,245 posts
  • LocationMy Safe Space

Posted 28 October 2016 - 03:18 PM

IIRC there are at least 3 of them.  The MD at the Talledega match loves them and is not shy when it comes to making the most of the deep bays.

I suspect running side commerce on CMP ranges and equipment would be frowned upon.

In Doodie, Veritas.

#9 MemphisMechanic

MemphisMechanic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 859 posts
  • LocationMemphis, TN

Posted 28 October 2016 - 04:26 PM

If they can't hit a piece of steel it's because they can't shoot straight, not that they can't "see what they need to see".

That was a mockery of the inevitable BEnos reply.

My humor was casually crushed beneath your literal feet.

#10 MemphisMechanic

MemphisMechanic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 859 posts
  • LocationMemphis, TN

Posted 28 October 2016 - 04:30 PM

I've never shot a Texas star. I noticed one off to the side at Talladega last year, some enterprising individual should set it up and charge a couple bucks to give it a run at the upcoming Glock match.

A star is no harder than a plate rack, unless you listen to your brain telling you it is. The moving plates make it even more tempting to trap sight pictures, as mentioned above.

#11 u sofa king we todd ed

u sofa king we todd ed

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 28 October 2016 - 04:32 PM

This. Newbs need to aim at one point, and let the star rotate the plate to that spot.

#12 Hoes Master

Hoes Master

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 28 October 2016 - 05:10 PM

That was a mockery of the inevitable BEnos reply.

My humor was casually crushed beneath your literal feet.

You're trying too hard.

#13 Peally

Peally

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,855 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 28 October 2016 - 05:24 PM

Pretend they're normal target headshots; you actually need to aim at steel to score  :ph34r:

#14 MemphisMechanic

MemphisMechanic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 859 posts
  • LocationMemphis, TN

Posted 28 October 2016 - 05:29 PM

You're trying too hard.

My girlfriend says the same thing. Right before she rolls over and falls asleep.
  • ralloway likes this

#15 GuanoLoco

GuanoLoco

Minister of Culture

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,245 posts
  • LocationMy Safe Space

Posted 28 October 2016 - 06:28 PM

You are doing it wrong. Always roll over and fall asleep first.

In Doodie, Veritas.

#16 Raynor

Raynor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • LocationBridge of the Hyperion

Posted 28 October 2016 - 06:28 PM

Swinging Texas Star or gtfo

Voted as "the most interesting man in the Koprulu sector"

#17 GuanoLoco

GuanoLoco

Minister of Culture

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,245 posts
  • LocationMy Safe Space

Posted 28 October 2016 - 06:29 PM

So much for trapping.

In Doodie, Veritas.

#18 Harry Palmer

Harry Palmer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • LocationMilpenis, Ca.

Posted 29 October 2016 - 12:50 AM

I'm working with a new shooter who finds steel frustrating - an issue I believe everyone has seen at their local matches. There's nothing more disheartening than watching who was having a fund day... throw a magazine and a half at a Texas Star only to finish the stage with three plates still standing.

Do you have any recommendations for drills to teach someone to See What They Need To See in order to slaughter steel more consistently?

I understand exactly what they need to do: find the front sight, pull the trigger straight back, and follow through without looking for the hit. What I'm hoping is that someone has a creative drill (or evan a more intuitive explanation) to really get someone to understand the process required to get hits on 15yd 8" plates as a novice.

First you need to diagnose why they are missing.  Watch to see if their head comes up (looking at the steel instead of their sights), or if they jerking the gun/trigger (rushing the shot, poor grip, etc...) or inconsistent methodology (switching between tracking & trapping) or all of the above.

Sprewell's method of practicing with paper plates is good for correcting poor sight focus & jerking the gun.  Make them call the shots. 

I put 5 paper plates up on paper backers so they are the same distance apart as a Texas Star and run the gun around them as fast as I can call the shots alternating between shooting them in a circle clockwise & counterclockwise then alternating with running them from top to bottom alternating right to left/left to right after the top plate.

• Kixx likes this

#19 NickBlasta

NickBlasta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 500 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 29 October 2016 - 04:15 AM

Missing steel as a beginner is a side effect of sucking. They will stop missing steel when they get gooder and learn at least what sight picture, trigger control, and grip pressure are.

I've watched lots of new shooters though (I get to be squad carry at our matches) and the ones that can aim but are slow as balls have no problem hitting plates, moving, spinning, or otherwise. The ones that habitually shoot left with too much slapping of the trigger are the ones that run out of ammo. This may also ignore the mental component- the ones that aim are not really freaked out by the existence of the star on the stage.

I usually get asked what the trick is for X steel prop/texas star and I say 'just aim at them', some of them get it and some of them laugh. Ah well.

Now if they are starting to understand, a good drill that I see pay dividends for newer shooters is call it and leave it. I like to use two poppers set to not fall over. It induces stress in firing at the steel, introduces some inconsistency in the sight picture from starting and stopping which is useful for a moving prop, and teaches them not to wait for feedback.

#20 Bikerburgess

Bikerburgess

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 29 October 2016 - 10:43 AM

The other problem new shooters have with dificult steel is mental, they miss a time or two on a shot they know they should be able to make, and it gets into their head and they start doubting their sights and it all goes south from there

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users