40 replies to this topic

#21 nwhpfan

nwhpfan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 30 October 2016 - 03:09 PM

A piece of steel is just another target in many ways.  Proper aim, pull trigger without disruption.  I think some people try to blaze at steel because "if" they miss they will know because they don't hear a ding or it doesn't fall.  They think maybe they'll get lucky by blazing away and that's a good think.  But you need to give the care it deserves - it's essentially requires an A zone hit. There is no partial points like going 2 C.  You either hit it or you don't.

But missing steel is minus at least 5 points every time because it costs you at least a second to make it up. Do HF math -you can't miss steel fast enough to make it worth taking a bad shot.

I shoot steel one piece at a time.  No secret there.  And missing steel is like a penalty.

I do think their are some secrets to shooting a Texas star.  Me, I shoot upper right first and the star swings the plates to about the same spot and I hit them one by one.  A friend of mine shoots the top then goes left right, left right.

Plate racks..  I think a problem some people have is they bring the gun back to the plate the just hit instead of dropping it on the next plate.  Another friend of mine described it like an EKG machine.   ../\../\../\...

#22 GuanoLoco

GuanoLoco

Minister of Culture

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,245 posts
  • LocationMy Safe Space

Posted 30 October 2016 - 05:41 PM

I almost forgot - miss, miss, frustration, shift grip, miss, shift grip, miss, miss, pause, shake head, miss, shift grip, ...
Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

You'll never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

In Doodie, Veritas.

"You might be a little thin-skinned for this forum". -Scott.

#23 MemphisMechanic

MemphisMechanic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 862 posts
  • LocationMemphis, TN

Posted 30 October 2016 - 09:21 PM

Update: worked with the shooter in question.

Diagnosed their issue with a combination of shooting slowfire at 5yd at the dots, and a 12yd plate rack.

I was a prairie-dogger, always pulling the gun down to see the steel dance or fall. It quickly became apparent that wasn't their issue.

It was simply Trigger control.

Told them to put 25% attention on keeping the sights straight and to focus 75% on the feeling of the trigger digging in more and more. Two runs in a row, they dropped one mike on the entire plate rack when they rushed, and went 1 for 1 on the others.

Returning to the dots we went from a shotgun group 5" lower than the dot... to going 6 for 6 on a 2" dot.

It was a helpful day for them, and I learned how to help a new shooter get the holes in the right places.
I won an IDPA match once. It was neat.

#24 Motosapiens

Motosapiens

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,522 posts

Posted 31 October 2016 - 10:05 AM

there are a few things going on with texas stars. i personally find that they suck me into target focus, and then i'm only vaguely aware of where the sights are when I pull the trigger. when focus on the sights, track the steel and keep aiming until the gun goes off, I have success.

coincidentally, mrs motosapiens is learning to shoot now, and a couple weeks ago we set up a texas star and practiced on it. first we just started it spinning and tracked the sights all the way around (no actual shooting, just picking a plate and following it around with the sights for several revolutions). After a few minutes of that we started shooting the star like normal (static start), and she found it so easy after a few times that for the rest of the session we started with it spinning each time. 

If you don't have access to a star to practice with, i find it can also be helpful to set up a steel plate or two. and move the gun across them slowly, pulling the trigger at the appropriate time to hit the plate without stopping the gun.

2013 National Champion C class  Limited 10

#25 MemphisMechanic

MemphisMechanic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 862 posts
  • LocationMemphis, TN

Posted 31 October 2016 - 11:20 AM

Glad to hear you're chiming in about teaching your wife.

The Shooter in question is my girlfriend. I just left gender out because I wanted to save the "fuck from behind then pee in her butt" replies until after the useful ones and I am posting on Doodie, which makes those inevitable.

I started on the plate rack to delete the moving plate target focus factor, and it worked really well.

Next time, we'll try the star.

#26 BHill

BHill

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 496 posts
  • LocationSouth East Texas

Posted 31 October 2016 - 12:18 PM

Glad to hear you're chiming in about teaching your wife.
The Shooter in question is my girlfriend. I just left gender out because I wanted to save the "fuck from behind then pee in her butt" replies until after the useful ones and I am posting on Doodie, which makes those inevitable.

I think you are generally mistaken on this one. Actual shooting questions are handled very differently than all the other subjects. At heart we are indeed a bunch of degenerates but draw the line at shooting critique/instruction. Mostly.

Trick to the star is keeping your focus on your sights and not getting sucked into looking at the carnival prop.

#27 Peally

Peally

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,855 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 31 October 2016 - 01:06 PM

I almost forgot - miss, miss, frustration, shift grip, miss, shift grip, miss, miss, pause, shake head, miss, shift grip, ...

People always adjust their grip when they're missing a lot. Guess no one told them grip doesn't matter until you start ripping shots quickly.

#28 3gundago

3gundago

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 31 October 2016 - 01:48 PM

#29 Miculek is a Noob

Miculek is a Noob

V.C.R.O.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,865 posts

Posted 31 October 2016 - 02:15 PM

I think you are generally mistaken on this one. Actual shooting questions are handled very differently than all the other subjects. At heart we are indeed a bunch of degenerates but draw the line at shooting critique/instruction. Mostly.

Pics or GTFO.

#30 MemphisMechanic

MemphisMechanic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 862 posts
  • LocationMemphis, TN

Posted 31 October 2016 - 06:29 PM

I dunno... We're kinda private people and...

Fuck that. She's hot. Here.

(She's also 5'0" and makes a 4.25" M&P look like a Desert Eagle)
  • Will likes this

#31 BHill

BHill

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 496 posts
  • LocationSouth East Texas

Posted 31 October 2016 - 07:35 PM

Pics or GTFO.

Pics of what? My opinion? Probably not even good for this site. But for $20 who knows.

#32 Motosapiens

Motosapiens

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,522 posts

Posted 01 November 2016 - 08:59 AM

Fuck that. She's hot. Here.

Maybe i'm not a dirty old man, but i'd rather see vid of her shooting.

• ralloway likes this

2013 National Champion C class  Limited 10

#33 GuanoLoco

GuanoLoco

Minister of Culture

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,245 posts
  • LocationMy Safe Space

Posted 01 November 2016 - 11:38 AM

Maybe i'm not a dirty old man, but i'd rather see vid of her shooting.

You are a dirty old man.  Get over it.

• Motosapiens likes this
Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

You'll never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

In Doodie, Veritas.

"You might be a little thin-skinned for this forum". -Scott.

#34 Trigger Warning

Trigger Warning

That's What She Said

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,503 posts
  • LocationRaleighwood

Posted 02 November 2016 - 01:13 PM

mampp_zpsbzekqhya.jpg

On injured reserve.

#35 MemphisMechanic

MemphisMechanic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 862 posts
  • LocationMemphis, TN

Posted 02 November 2016 - 02:09 PM

I see what you did there.

It's a long shitty trigger pull joke. How subtle.

(Someone barges in with a whiny "Then go tell Bob Vogel he can't win with a long trigger pull" rebuttal in 3... 2... 1...)

#36 Sprewell

Sprewell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,578 posts
  • LocationBanned

Posted 02 November 2016 - 02:17 PM

I thought Vogel shot Glocks, which have a short and sweet trigger.

#37 MemphisMechanic

MemphisMechanic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 862 posts
  • LocationMemphis, TN

Posted 02 November 2016 - 02:19 PM

I thought Vogel shot Glocks, which have a short and sweet trigger.

You got 1 out of 3 facts correct, at least.
  • ZachJ likes this

#38 peterthefish

peterthefish

Banned.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,999 posts

Posted 02 November 2016 - 04:19 PM

You got 1 out of 3 facts correct, at least.

One and a half at least.

#39 MemphisMechanic

MemphisMechanic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 862 posts
  • LocationMemphis, TN

Posted 02 November 2016 - 04:28 PM

One and a half at least.

Sure about that?

My M&P 9L has a 2lb 10oz trigger that's shorter than my G34 with a Vanek trigger in it... and eats CCI primers like candy.

And it's all DIY. They're stupid easy to do a trigger job on.

Sure, I am headed home tonight to begin doing trigger work on the new Tanfo, but that's just because I wanted to try the new shiny kid on the block.

If you want to go after the M&P do it on accuracy grounds, not having a worse trigger than the Glock. Mine was an 8" gun at 25yd until I pissed away $200 on a hand-fitted barrel instead of buying the Unicorn right then.

#40 Trigger Warning

Trigger Warning

That's What She Said

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,503 posts
  • LocationRaleighwood

Posted 02 November 2016 - 05:04 PM

Solution: get girlfriend a unicorn, unless that's the nickname you use for yourself in that case just call it a tanfo.

On injured reserve.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users