60 replies to this topic

#41 waktasz

waktasz

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,090 posts

Posted 19 December 2016 - 10:58 AM

If he didn't spend 28% of the show talking about his dogs, I might actually listen to it. Bought the summit. Own it. Haven't been able to make myself listen to him due to his 45 minute podcasts with 8 minutes of shooting info packed into them.

I found out my podcast player app will play audio at 150% and it is still quite listenable. 

#42 Larry Costa

Larry Costa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 797 posts

Posted 19 December 2016 - 03:34 PM

I missed Steoger's.

But there is nothing new under the sun. Of the others I watched related to shooting, nothing new.

Because of who I am dawg = EABOD

#43 Woodieproject

Woodieproject

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts

Posted 19 December 2016 - 05:37 PM

I liked it but I thought they should've spent some time talking about trigger pinning that some people do.
  • Stubb and poopgiggle like this
Bonafide asshole

#44 MemphisMechanic

MemphisMechanic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 860 posts
  • LocationMemphis, TN

Posted 19 December 2016 - 09:39 PM

I liked it but I thought they should've spent some time talking about trigger pinning that some people do.

And The sarcasm award goes to...

By the fifth interview I, too, wanted to veer into oncoming traffic each time Aric would pose that inevitable question about "the pull and pin."

It got to the point where his use of that phrase made me want to punch a baby while wearing brass knuckles.
I won an IDPA match once. It was neat.

#45 beerbaron

beerbaron

Shagga

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 857 posts

Posted 20 December 2016 - 12:05 AM

Lol. I only watched stegger, taran, smith, bragg maybe one or two others. It was ok. Not sure I can find the $20 value but some was interesting.

#46 J.A.Nine

J.A.Nine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 20 December 2016 - 08:10 AM

LOL, Langdon on Glocks and cops shooting themselves and ADs

Ben told me, "Grip it harder."

#47 George

George

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts
  • LocationKentucky

Posted 20 December 2016 - 08:44 AM

LOL, Langdon on Glocks and cops shooting themselves and ADs

I think he makes a valid point. And now, will all the departments bought into "safe action", they can't afford to admit they might have prevented ND's, had they stuck with DA/SA. 

George

#48 Flexmoney

Flexmoney

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,764 posts

Posted 20 December 2016 - 09:51 AM

What?

Unless otherwise noted, expect that all my posting here is in true Doodie fashion.  If my post somehow upsets your sensibilities, well...there ya go.  

#49 Miculek is a Noob

Miculek is a Noob

V.C.R.O.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,865 posts

Posted 20 December 2016 - 10:14 AM

I missed Steoger's.

But there is nothing new under the sun. Of the others I watched related to shooting, nothing new.

There hasn't been anything new in the shooting sports world since 9 years ago when Stegger said "I think this dryfire thing might be a good idea".

• peterthefish and Peally like this

#50 peterthefish

peterthefish

Banned.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,999 posts

Posted 20 December 2016 - 10:19 AM

I think he makes a valid point. And now, will all the departments bought into "safe action", they can't afford to admit they might have prevented ND's, had they stuck with DA/SA.

Because DA/SA guns prevent complacency? Let's be real, cops have a long and storied history of NDs whether they are armed revolvers, DA/SAs, 1911s, or Glocks. Their issue guns. Their backup guns. I read a story recently about a cop who had an ND with a blue gun, and I'm still not entirely sure that was satire.

Shit here's one with a backup revolver!
https://www.google.c.../?client=safari
  • funshoot likes this

#51 George

George

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts
  • LocationKentucky

Posted 20 December 2016 - 10:46 AM

Because DA/SA guns prevent complacency? Let's be real, cops have a long and storied history of NDs whether they are armed revolvers, DA/SAs, 1911s, or Glocks. Their issue guns. Their backup guns. I read a story recently about a cop who had an ND with a blue gun, and I'm still not entirely sure that was satire.

Shit here's one with a backup revolver!
https://www.google.c.../?client=safari

at least with a revolver, they can only ND 6 times before reloading.  

George

#52 Flexmoney

Flexmoney

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,764 posts

Posted 20 December 2016 - 10:56 AM

?   So, the ultimate stopping point for Langdon's thinking is...

382px-Don_Knotts_Barney_and_the_bullet_A
  • Miculek is a Noob likes this

Unless otherwise noted, expect that all my posting here is in true Doodie fashion.  If my post somehow upsets your sensibilities, well...there ya go.  

#53 George

George

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts
  • LocationKentucky

Posted 20 December 2016 - 10:57 AM

What?

Paraphrasing Ernst Langdon, he said it was easier to get officers to pass the target shooting qualification with a "safe action" than with a DA/SA or DAO (revolver or semiauto) because of the lighter trigger and shorter travel. But the officers did not necessarily develop the requisite trigger finger discipline or safe gun handling, directly correlating the higher incidences of ND's with the adoption of "safe action" type triggers.   

George

#54 George

George

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts
  • LocationKentucky

Posted 20 December 2016 - 11:16 AM

?   So, the ultimate stopping point for Langdon's thinking is...

382px-Don_Knotts_Barney_and_the_bullet_A

I think his point is more training and familiarity is needed with whatever pistol you carry...and if you're not competent and safe with a gun with less room for error, maybe you get the Barney Fife rig until you're more competent.  

A University of Cincinnati cop popped a dude in the head and killed him last year at a traffic stop.  The Sam Dubose dude was certainly riff-raff, but looking at the video, it does not seem he did anything that warranted getting shot for. I suspect the cop did not mean to shoot him in the head, I suspect he wanted to draw and point the gun at him and had an ND. https://youtu.be/Z0c...jrSjyc?t=1m50s 

UC police switched from SIG 229 to SIG 320's shortly before the incident, according to this article.   http://www.cincinnat...ting/32339335/      

It would be interesting to see stats on ND's with the various type actions

George

#55 Flexmoney

Flexmoney

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,764 posts

Posted 20 December 2016 - 11:29 AM

...and the female cop in Vegas (popular video from a number of years back) that popped off a shot as her coworker was cuffing a guy on the ground...she was using a Beretta, IIRC.  [I'm not going to link it.  You've seen it or can find it if desired.]

It's BS.  If EL sees it in training/quals it can and should be corrected.  If not, fail the student.  It is ethical to do so. 

But the officers did not necessarily develop the requisite trigger finger discipline or safe gun handling, directly correlating the higher incidences of ND's with the adoption of "safe action" type triggers.   

#56 peterthefish

peterthefish

Banned.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,999 posts

Posted 20 December 2016 - 11:41 AM

...and the female cop in Vegas (popular video from a number of years back) that popped off a shot as her coworker was cuffing a guy on the ground...she was using a Beretta, IIRC. [I'm not going to link it. You've seen it or can find it if desired.]

It's BS. If EL sees it in training/quals it can and should be corrected. If not, fail the student. It is ethical to do so.

This. The only reason anyone could blame NDs on changing from a DA/SA gun to a Glock would be that they're used to staging the DA trigger. Which is a training issue, not a gun issue.

#57 J.A.Nine

J.A.Nine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 20 December 2016 - 12:14 PM

...and the female cop in Vegas (popular video from a number of years back) that popped off a shot as her coworker was cuffing a guy on the ground...she was using a Beretta, IIRC.  [I'm not going to link it.  You've seen it or can find it if desired.]

It's BS.  If EL sees it in training/quals it can and should be corrected.  If not, fail the student.  It is ethical to do so. 

Langdon said that the switch to Glocks by the FBI was because of lawsuit filed by a trainee who failed her quals because she lacked the strength for DA trigger pulls

Ben told me, "Grip it harder."

#58 Miculek is a Noob

Miculek is a Noob

V.C.R.O.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,865 posts

Posted 20 December 2016 - 12:40 PM

Langdon said that the switch to Glocks by the FBI was because of lawsuit filed by a trainee who failed her quals because she lacked the strength for DA trigger pulls

The same FBI cunt that fucked up the full boat 10mm loading and caused the 40 S&W, according to legend.
  • Nimrod likes this

#59 funshoot

funshoot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 21 December 2016 - 05:32 AM

DoD has been using DA/SA since 1985 and military personnel do not lack for NDs.

This. Except it never happens. Military personnel continue to believe they should be entitled to issue small arms even when range results indicate otherwise.

-

John M. Buol Jr.

FirearmUserNetwork.com

#60 busdriver

busdriver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 21 December 2016 - 05:44 PM

In the vast world of using guns for professional reasons, there are very few actual shooters and handguns are almost always an annoying heavy appliance that weighs down folks' belts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users