Photo

Most Awesomest Competition Powders

Econominical Pressure Signs Double Charge Reverse Temp Insensitive Bern Rate Primer Flow Extrooded Off Book Loads Meeeters Well Densenessity

• Please log in to reply
159 replies to this topic

#1 GuanoLoco

GuanoLoco

Minister of Culture

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,231 posts
  • LocationMy Safe Space

Posted 07 December 2016 - 09:21 AM

Feel free to list your personal favorites with supporting info about performance and your pet loads. References to helpful threads would be nice. This is all about comparing the new hotnesses to the old bustednessnesses."

ETR-7 supposably MAXAM CSB-1 repackaged and resold by Expansion Industries for $60-$70 for a 4-lb jug- If their web site every comes back up, you can buy now, get your credit card charged immediately, and expect delivery late if you are lucky or never. Feel free to leave complaints on a phone line that was answered at least twice in 2 years.

In 9mm, 3.7 gr under a 135gr Bayou bullet delivers a consistent 134PF from a Stock 2 with no pressure signs. Temperature insensitive - +/-1% over hotter and cooler temps than you are tough enough to shoot in. Fairly clean burning. Bulky enough that double charges can be detected. Large flake powder meters well in a Dillon powder measure, benefits from a Perfect Powder Baffle. Burns best at higher loads, extreme spread increases rapidly at reduced charges.

ETR-7 is re-branded Maxam CSB-1 a bulk shotgun powder.  It is readily available in bulk form, here is one place that is selling it at a decent price: http://hi-techammo.c...th-loading-data.  Graf & Sons has had it in the past but does not currently show it in stock.

References
http://www.doodiepro...765-maxam-csb1/
http://www.doodiepro...ap-ass-bullets/

As much as I love this powder I think it is time to assess the new hotness. I have started testing an old standby, TiteGroup. TG is is inexpensive, currently widely available and so far color me unimpressed.

VV N320 is a good powder That I have used, but always overpriced and availability varies wildly.

WST and Win231 are on my shelf for testing, but from READING, my hopes are on the pretentiously named Nobel Sport Vectan Prima V. If that doesn't work out, I may just change suppliers (hi-techammo) and test the ETR-7 = CSB-1 claim. Availability from a sole-source supplier is a concern.

Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

You'll never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

In Doodie, Veritas.

"You might be a little thin-skinned for this forum". -Scott.

#2 Sprewell

Sprewell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,578 posts
  • LocationBanned

Posted 07 December 2016 - 09:27 AM

e3 was hot for awhile but it might be old and busted now.  I shot up about 3/4ths of a pound and thought it was good except it didn't meter for shit in my powder measure.

I do not like Titegroup, I can honestly say I wouldn't use it if somebody gave it to me.

#3 peterthefish

peterthefish

Banned.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,999 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 09:47 AM

🐑shot competition except some dick on BENOS said it sucks so it's bad.
  • nwhpfan likes this

#4 Miculek is a Noob

Miculek is a Noob

V.C.R.O.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,865 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 09:58 AM

I picked up Alliant e3 as a (near) Clays replacement in .45, just go .1 or maybe .2 higher than the old Aussie Clays recipes, with none of the overpressure excitement. It works fine in 9mm as well with 124 gr coated, 3.4 gr or so. It was available, so I pretty much cornered the market 3 years ago, and I'm stuck with a near lifetime supply... unless I start practicing a lot more.

In lieu of that, however (practice? perish the thought), I'm going to pick up some of the Nitro someone else mentioned either here or on BEnos, and give that some tinkering. I haven't ruined a gun in almost 3 years, so I'm due.

#5 Roons

Roons

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 10:03 AM

N320.  Stop being cheap bitches.

"You can give it the old spin."

#6 Miculek is a Noob

Miculek is a Noob

V.C.R.O.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,865 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 10:05 AM

N320.  Stop being cheap bitches.

Fuck that. We shooters are some of the cheapest cocksuckers ever to walk the earth.... except when it comes to things that don't matter (like guns).

• Maul likes this

#7 nwhpfan

nwhpfan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 10:11 AM

3.0 Bullseye 147 RN. 900 FPS, very accurate, and very low/no smoke with coated bullets. Meters very god and is inexpensive. Because it is so popular in can be hard to find.
  • Stubb likes this

#8 Sprewell

Sprewell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,578 posts
  • LocationBanned

Posted 07 December 2016 - 10:22 AM

Anybody try n310 for 9mm minor (or sub minor) loads?  I have an amount in excess of what I will probably ever use in 45.

#9 T "G" O

T "G" O

The Gay One

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,854 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 10:27 AM

Red dot and Nitro 100 for major in 40sw.

#10 spk

spk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 11:43 AM

I have discovered Autocomp in the last year or so, meters very well, clean.

Slower burn rate than W231 which was my pet powder for a long time.

Supposedly developed for comped, (probably hinted at in the name), guns but it works very well in both .40 and 9mm STD guns.

#11 AMNS

AMNS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • LocationA4

Posted 07 December 2016 - 12:11 PM

I've shot roughly 15,000 rounds of N310 and various coated 147gr. Makes minor, meters well, good SD, less residue than most. Most guns will need between 2.9 and 3.2gr. Around 1.145 oal to minimize pressure concerns.

#12 Vagetarian

Vagetarian

I used to have 3 warning points.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,981 posts
  • LocationLightyears from Ben's nuts.

Posted 07 December 2016 - 12:22 PM

If I go into my powder closet I can find just about every powder listed above among others.  You peasants loading your cheap yet colorful covered bullets may be interested in Universal Clays.  It shoots soft like a kitten but has a better taste.  I concur that N320 is the best powder in the world for pistol sports and it has been readily available at Powder Valley for months.  I also have Titegroup, Bullseye, Solo 1K, CFE, Unique, Silhouette, WST, and a whole host of others to chose from.  I'm considering pouring them all into a cement mixer and seeing what the end product shoots like.  This guy learned from the sad days of 2013 and will die with a lifetime supply of powder.

• SlivGod, Stubb, Blueeyedme and 3 others like this

Kitten_zps66d94599.jpg
I just man-handled that prick with my Type-A personality.
Dipshit tard duckweed goat humper.

You're all a bunch of fucking idiots and retards!

#13 ToddKS

ToddKS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,491 posts
  • LocationGetting killed in the streets

Posted 07 December 2016 - 12:42 PM

I shoot Titegroup for most things but like Vag I keep many options in inventory. It is only a matter of time until the next great shortage.

#14 LeadChucker

LeadChucker

CO

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,043 posts
  • LocationHC, Utah

Posted 07 December 2016 - 01:50 PM

I used to shoot N320 (still have about 20 pounds), ordered 24 pounds of HP-38 as it is less expensive and shoots the same. HP-38 is great, no noticeable difference from N320.

But someone (not me) says it's dirty so I will keep shooting it but wont recommend it :)

#15 Miculek is a Noob

Miculek is a Noob

V.C.R.O.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,865 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 02:07 PM

I have discovered Autocomp in the last year or so, meters very well, clean.

Slower burn rate than W231 which was my pet powder for a long time.

Supposedly developed for comped, (probably hinted at in the name), guns but it works very well in both .40 and 9mm STD guns.

Why the hell would you want to run a slow burning powder in 9 minor, pray tell? The point of slow powders is to make lots of gasses to drive the comp. It doesn't mean nice soft recoil, that's accomplished with nice fast burning powders.

Assuming you're shooting Production (if not then GTFO) then Autocomp is about the worst possible choice, short of extruded rifle powder or a can of Goex.

• GuanoLoco likes this

#16 Sweet T

Sweet T

Glock Master Race

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 02:14 PM

Titegroup is cheap and always available.

125gr coated bullet of your choice
3.7gr TG
Makes 137 pf reliably

3.6 makes minor with plenty of room to spare too but the higher charge is more accurate for me

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

#17 CheesyD

CheesyD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 02:33 PM

Titegroup is cheap and it works. 3.7 under a 125gr coated at 1.10 is 135pf all day in a Stock 2

WSF is okay. 4.0 under 125gr coated at 1.10 is 130pf

W231/HP38 is pretty damn nice. 4.0 under 125gr coated at 1.10 is 132pf. 4.2 is 135.

WST sucks donkey cock. Still got 3 pounds of that crap. Got pressure signs & all wacked ES of 74 at 120pf. Fuck that shit.

Got a small mountain of e3 to work up. Thinking of selling it for more TG or 231 though.

#18 Motosapiens

Motosapiens

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,442 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 04:09 PM

so i tested some prima V in 40. under a 180gr xtreme plated @ 1.14, i got 168 pf from 4.45 gr and 172 pf from 4.55 gr. single-digit SD's.

2013 National Champion C class  Limited 10

#19 u sofa king we todd ed

u sofa king we todd ed

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 04:10 PM

Alliant Clay Dot. Exactly the same loads as Clays, and $17.75 a pound, when bought in 8lb jugs.

#20 LeadChucker

LeadChucker

CO

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,043 posts
  • LocationHC, Utah

Posted 07 December 2016 - 04:43 PM

so i tested some prima V in 40. under a 180gr xtreme plated @ 1.14, i got 168 pf from 4.45 gr and 172 pf from 4.55 gr. single-digit SD's.

Please speak 9mm, I am unfamiliar with this language you speak
  • Miculek is a Noob, ToddKS, GuanoLoco and 1 other like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users